• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Further Supergiant clarification

kid_zomb

Creative Director, Supergiant Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Mill Valley, CA
Sooo...it was available for 7.49 earlier today, and now it suddenly creeps up to 9.99 'after' the fix is in place?

You can imagine I don't want to bump this thread, though I do want to respond on this point. That original price you refer to stemmed from a miscommunication between Supergiant and Epic, and was not intended. Early this morning I responded to some customers about it via Twitter prior to fully realizing what was wrong. I'm sorry for the confusion that caused. We have additional remarks on our web site about what happened, posted elsewhere in this thread. Anyway -- if you're willing to give us the benefit of the doubt on this one, thank you.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
The number of people here saying "it's good they apologized but I'm not going to forgive them" is weird.

They fucked up, they apologized, and I sincerely doubt anything like this will happen again.

You can ask for forgiveness but you're not really entitled to it. In any case I doubt the number of people that will hold a grudge over this is especially high.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
Earlier today I saw it for 7. Got home and it was 10. Played about 30 minutes and just loved it. 10 is a steal. I've been watching alot of game development docs lately and I'm happy to support this game studio.

Seb

Oct 25, 2017
Toulouse
I legitamately hesitate to call it an error. This was a sale they were already doing before EGS started, and the two sales *should* be separate since SG doesn't cover the $10 portion.

Definitely reads like "well, we don't need that 10% from us that we were previously doing if EGS is already putting it on sale."

To me, it reads like: "If we allow sales of our game as low as 7$, we're giving the message that it's a 10 bucks cheap ass game and we will never be able to sell it at the 25$ it needs to be for us to be profitable."

It sucks how entitled people are. What if the sale price tag kills this game?

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
You can imagine I don't want to bump this thread, though I do want to respond on this point. That original price you refer to stemmed from a miscommunication between Supergiant and Epic, and was not intended. Early this morning I responded to some customers about it via Twitter prior to fully realizing what was wrong. I'm sorry for the confusion that caused. We have additional remarks on our web site about what happened, posted elsewhere in this thread. Anyway -- if you're willing to give us the benefit of the doubt on this one, thank you.
Just for the record, you're on a deserted island, you're given either a DS or PSP, which would you chose?

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I was excited to finally pick this up for $6.99, but now I'm just disappointed in the whole situation. Meh, bummer. I know it's not a big difference, but I'll probably pass unless they roll it back. :/

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Allo those tweets and I can only see SuperGiant tried to scam both Epic and users at once. I loved Bastion, but with what they did they just passed under the "only when bundled" category.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, some devs complained about Steam sales and how devaluated their games. Now Epic does even a more ridiculous sale for small/indie games and now devs are facing with people mad they can get their EA game for less than 10€/$.

Lol

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
To me, it reads like: "If we allow sales of our game as low as 7$, we're giving the message that it's a 10 bucks cheap ass game and we will never be able to sell it at the 25$ it needs to be for us to be profitable."

I don't owe them a purchase either, I was a fence sitter and now I don't want to pay about 10 usd for a roguelike. Congrats to them!

Seb

Oct 25, 2017
Toulouse
I don't owe them a purchase either, I was a fence sitter and now I don't want to pay about 10 usd for a roguelike. Congrats to them!
Sure, but would you go as far as NEVER BUYING FROM THEM EVER AGAIN ? Cause some people are saying just that.
Nobody really knows what happened. You can choose to believe they're just greedy bastards sure. Or maybe they are just stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don't know if it's becasue I just watched "Raising Kratos" but I feel empathy for them.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
It's almost like devs aren't entirely comfortable with Epic devaluating their just released games for the sole purpose of promoting the store.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will never buy this game or any other game from this publisher because of this
Such a ridiculous over reaction id bet you would never have bought their games regardless of this event.
If your game is quality enough to justify the higher price tag then it will sell. This sale wouldn't kill it just because its cheap(er) for a month.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It's almost like devs aren't entirely comfortable with Epic devaluating their just released games for the sole purpose of promoting the store.

Do they have a say in this though? Epic has paid them handsomely for the exclusivity, they may not like it if they feel that it is devaluing their games but Epic has essentially pre-paid developers for sales. I think they feel like they have the right to do with these games as they please.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

Maybe devs shouldn't use shady anti-consumer platforms like Epic in the first place then?

Or maybe the devs choosing to take these exclusive deals, despite them alienating a huge number of potential consumers that would otherwise purchase their games, deserve Epic and their half baked anti-consumer platform if they themselves are also indulging in anti-consumer behaviour like this?

I don't feel bad for the devs in this instance whatsoever, I do however accept their apology because to err is to be human after all.

If they decide to take a more pro-consumer approach in the future and release the game on other platforms (GOG, Steam etc) I will happily pick it up as I am definitely interested in the game.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
haha I was about to buy this game since I saw they fixed the pricing so it was eligible for the £10 off, then I see this thread. Nah pass.

Now they've fixed it, bought.

FI88OQb.png

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Do people's buying habits really change if th game was offered cheap once? To me, it's like arguing "that person got the game in a lucky bargain bin sale at Walmart for really cheap, guess I'll just not buy it unless I can get it like that as well". If that was your logic than you probably wouldn't have ever bought it at higher price anyway.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Do people's buying habits really change if th game was offered cheap once? To me, it's like arguing "that person got the game in a lucky bargain bin sale at Walmart for really cheap, guess I'll just not buy it unless I can get it like that as well". If that was your logic than you probably wouldn't have ever bought it at higher price anyway.

Since SuperGiant games do not seem to have regional prices, the 3$ difference could mean another game in some regions.
E.G. for me on the EGS store now that it supports chinese pricing, for 6$ I could get WWZ and for 5$ Satisfactory. So the 3$ difference compared to that is "much".

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Since SuperGiant games do not seem to have regional prices, the 3$ difference could mean another game in some regions.
E.G. for me on the EGS store now that it supports chinese pricing, for 6$ I could get WWZ and for 5$ Satisfactory. So the 3$ difference compared to that is "much".

I understand that, but some posters are saying that they didnt want their game to be perceived as cheaper as that might hurt its sales in the long run, but that seems odd to me personally as the game as it could be argued this sale isn't a usual sale, so it shouldn't change perception anyway.

And if it did change someone's perception("I'll not get this game until real cheap because egs had it for real cheap!") They probably wouldn't have bought it at a high price to begin with.

I'm not saying the sale price difference doesn't matter

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Earlier today I saw it for 7. Got home and it was 10. Played about 30 minutes and just loved it. 10 is a steal. I've been watching alot of game development docs lately and I'm happy to support this game studio.
Yep. I got it at 7 because Rogue-lites aren't REALLY my jam, but I love supergiant and the game looked slick from the get go. Now that I've been playing it literally all day? I would've definitely paid 20-25 easily.

The ever moving narrative taking place around your runs does a LOT to make it not feel like a waste of time when you die as well, which is usually my issue with rogue lites (either they're too easy, or they require too much grinding of runs to start to feel like you have a fair shot at progress in my experience). Every time I die instead of "maybe I earned enough for an upgrade" it's like "I think I got some upgrades coming, but first I gotta talk to these 9 NPCs and see what is going on back home in the story" which I love. Very smart framework.

This argument was stupid when Sweeney made it and it's silly to hear people using it now. If lower prices TRULY devalued games, sales would've ended ages ago across the board. Heck, even when people are like 'oh Vampire and whatever the other game was did it because they're pre-release' - bullshit. Vampire is guaranteed going to be cheaper than 50 bucks before it comes out on sites like Greenman, everything always is, it doesn't hurt them in the least.

Like, by that logic nobody would EVER buy any game that was free on the EGS or XBLA or PS+ again since they know they could've gotten it cheaper. That clearly doesn't happen.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017

in the UK it didn't have the discount before the raise in price now it does (was £13, now £5 thanks to epics £10 discount).

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019

While I appreciate the explanation, will Supergiant address the issue of regional pricing in some developing countries not being adjusted to match the base rate for the discount offered by Epic?

For example: in Brazil, Hades has been listed at $10.99 since regional pricing was introduced, earlier this year. Because the Epic discount only applies to games $14.99 and up, your game is still being sold at the same price - not ideal for a country where the minimum wage is 5x less than in the US, and the current exchange rate is incredibly unfavorable (basically 4:1, plus sales tax and other international transaction fees, since Epic doesn't offer pricing in local currency).

Ideally, Hades would have its base price increased to $14.99 in Brazil, so consumers can benefit from the $10 Epic discount and purchase the game at $4.99, retaining the price difference originally suggested for our region, at no loss to the publisher (in fact, you'd be making more money than if the game is sold for $10.99).

Edit: All prices mentioned are USD - again, because the EGS doesn't support local currency in Brazil.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Sure, but would you go as far as NEVER BUYING FROM THEM EVER AGAIN ? Cause some people are saying just that.
Nobody really knows what happened. You can choose to believe they're just greedy bastards sure. Or maybe they are just stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don't know if it's becasue I just watched "Raising Kratos" but I feel empathy for them.

Not the one quoted, but:
Why not? There are hundreds of devs, boycotting one of them, because you as the consumer think they did something shady, doesn't make a difference.
I, personally, boycott several Developers or Publishers because they either are scummy as hell, anticonsumer, or have a political view, I don't agree with.

And when there is a game that I have to play at all costs because it is just so good (and I am interested in it)? Then I will ignore my boycott and buy the game, because THAT game was worth it and the dev made a game that could change my stance.

Mind you, I also have developers from where I buy games regardless of quality or reviews, because they proved they are the good guys/girls.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Sorry can you explain why the first price was an error though? Wasn't it just the pre-release discount you all have had in place anyway? As a result, it wouldn't have affected the money you all would get when EGS did another sale on top of it, right?

And do you know where there are additional remarks? I briefly searched but only found a blog post that's pretty much just the discord announcement, which really doesn't answer terribly much.

I really want to give you all the benefit of the doubt on this, but it's kind of hard for me at the moment after seeing everything to be honest. I hope I'm seeing it wrong and it legitamately was just a very bad case of miscommunication and would appreciate any explanation to help me believe that.

yarden24

Oct 26, 2017

Hi Greg, loved your reviews back at GameSpot,also loved Pyre, shame it didn't sell well.

just wanted to say that upping the price right after the sale is over,assuming it does not coincide with any big updates, just makes it seems like a weird reaction to this whole pricing mess with you and epic, and not actualy because you now think your game is worth more.
at least that's what comes to my mind when I read about it.

best of luck

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's how almost everyone thinks when it comes to stuff like this. There are literally websites that track lowest prices of digital games on multiple storefronts to alert you when it goes back to its lowest historical price.

So yeah. That's exactly what people do.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I tend to add stuffs into wishlist, and wait for sales that matches if not cheaper than the previous cheapest price.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hi Greg, loved your reviews back at GameSpot,also loved Pyre, shame it didn't sell well.

just wanted to say that upping the price right after the sale is over,assuming it does not coincide with any big updates, just makes it seems like a weird reaction to this whole pricing mess with you and epic, and not actualy because you now think your game is worth more.
at least that's what comes to my mind when I read about it.

best of luck
I agree with this. It's certainly possible they really think it's time to raise the price of the game, but timing it with the sale and timing it when just a few hours prior, they mention not even being sure they were gonna raise their price at all(the tweet talks about the full release, but I feel it'd be a good time to mention raising the price at all if there were already talks of it before then) makes it fairly suspect imo.

I tend to add stuffs into wishlist, and wait for sales that matches if not cheaper than the previous cheapest price.

Soooo no nuance at all? Doesn't match a price error or weird sale pricing you wouldn't get it unless it's the lowest? Wow. Maybe I was naive, I find that thought silly personally. There's a very clear difference between something like this and waiting for witcher 3 to get to it's clear/normal sale price of 15/20(as an example) imo.

That's how almost everyone thinks when it comes to stuff like this. There are literally websites that track lowest prices of digital games on multiple storefronts to alert you when it goes back to its lowest historical price.

So yeah. That's exactly what people do.

I guess people never buy games again if they've been in a humble bundle/monthly or if they were on GWG/Plus then.

Theres loads of nuance to this imo.

Last edited:

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Seriously you don't need to be a damn lawyer to have a grasp of basic consumer law. As a damn consumer you should be aware of the basics just so you are able to protect yourself and know when your consumer rights are being infringed. This is not me "armchair" lawyering it is basic consumer rights knowledge and the dudes running their company should be aware of these consumer rights like I am.

So no. You don't actually know. Retailers are covered against pricing errors Pretty much in every country on Earth.

Will never buy this game or any other game from this publisher because of this

Oh come the fuck on. Some of you people are just being fucking absurd at this point.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Catching up and...
Hey, I'm going to crosspost this from our Discord. I hope someday I can come back to this forum and talk about Sekiro or something rather than have to post stuff like this, but we screwed up, and I screwed up personally in handling a lot of the communication today. Thank you for the feedback on this thread and the main thread about the sale.

________

Earlier today, Hades became available at a significant discount as part of the Epic Mega Sale on the Epic Games store. We communicated poorly in the hours that followed, and want to clear things up.

The retail price of Hades is now back to $19.99, our original launch price. With the Epic Discount, you can get the game for $10 off that price right now, through to the end of the sale on June 13.

After the sale is over, on June 14, we will be raising the game's retail price to $24.99. We had intended to raise the retail price of the game soon, but made the decision rashly as part of the sale -- we didn't provide advance notice to our customers, despite previously stating we would do so. That was our mistake, and we sincerely apologize. To all our players, thank you for your patience and understanding around this.
Good on you/Supergiant for acknowledging this and the (major) communication issues.
It became quite frankly ridiculous, especially with the earlier statements and the lack of announcement for the price hike, but this actually reads like a good and genuine explanation there (unlike the previous one, which sorry, was a bit like the "we're sorry" sketch in South Park).

Hope this never happen again and that most if not all your customers/fans are happy with you again since you make great games otherwise.

What a mess this EGS sale has been, another thing they weren't ready for; jumped the gun on, and thought nobody would care.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
If they decide to take a more pro-consumer approach in the future and release the game on other platforms (GOG, Steam etc) I will happily pick it up as I am definitely interested in the game.
It is coming to Steam though, it will be after it gets out of Early Acess and more expensive naturally, but it will be there.

As for Epic Games Store, Supergiant entered pretty damn early on as a timed exclusive, that was one of the first if not the first exclusive on the shop so they didn't know what PC gamers would think, particularly because other launchers have exclusives or had timed exclusives as well, and Epic hadn't gone on to get crowdfunded projects like Phoenix Point yet.

They had no way of knowing the reputation that EGS would get and how many people would hate it or how much the opinion would be split regarding the store, nor other controversies, but it's done, they are a timed exclusive, they have said that the game will only be on Epic until it gets out of Early Acess, and it will continue to be the case.

Now, i hate Epic Games Store, aside from the cut for developers, i don't think it's done anything to help the game's industry, if anything else, it only had effects that i absolutely hate while the store limits the ability to purchase games for many people and ignores Linux users, so far i really can't say i like the store at all, BUT, Supergiant make great games, i have gladly bought and played Bastion, Transistor and Pyre(even if that was the game i liked the least, sorry) and thus i would say it wouldn't be so bad to get the game at Epic, hell, it's the only game i am considering getting(i just don't care for Epic that much and already have a big enough backlog that i can wait for games to stop being exclusives) on Epic.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Do they have a say in this though? Epic has paid them handsomely for the exclusivity, they may not like it if they feel that it is devaluing their games but Epic has essentially pre-paid developers for sales. I think they feel like they have the right to do with these games as they please.
Maybe devs shouldn't use shady anti-consumer platforms like Epic in the first place then?

Or maybe the devs choosing to take these exclusive deals, despite them alienating a huge number of potential consumers that would otherwise purchase their games, deserve Epic and their half baked anti-consumer platform if they themselves are also indulging in anti-consumer behaviour like this?

I don't feel bad for the devs in this instance whatsoever, I do however accept their apology because to err is to be human after all.

You're both right of course. They may not like it but they did make a deal with Epic, rising now the price to counteract Epic's move is not cool.

This argument was stupid when Sweeney made it and it's silly to hear people using it now. If lower prices TRULY devalued games, sales would've ended ages ago across the board. Heck, even when people are like 'oh Vampire and whatever the other game was did it because they're pre-release' - bullshit. Vampire is guaranteed going to be cheaper than 50 bucks before it comes out on sites like Greenman, everything always is, it doesn't hurt them in the least.

Like, by that logic nobody would EVER buy any game that was free on the EGS or XBLA or PS+ again since they know they could've gotten it cheaper. That clearly doesn't happen.
We do not see a lot of those 90%+ discounts that were the norm in Steam sales a few years ago anymore, now do we? I think it's hard to argue that when a game has been deeply discounted in the past buying at full price or with a lesser discount becomes less appealing to many.

Oct 27, 2017
So no. You don't actually know. Retailers are covered against pricing errors Pretty much in every country on Earth..

OK you clearly have no clue what transpired here and you accuse me of being an armchair lawyer. This was NOT a pricing error this was an intentional increase in the price of a product to take advantage of the sale and negate any sale value. During the sale Supergiant INTENTIONALLY raised the price from $19.,99 (which it had been at for ages) to $24.99. They even stated that $24.99 would be the "new" price cos blah blah new stuff blah blah. Now you don't need to be Detective bloody Joe to see that is dodgy as fuck and breaks several consumer laws. The fact they sharpishly changed the price back to $19.99 suggests to me another "armchair" lawyer had a lil word with them about the legality of what they did.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
We do not see a lot of those 90%+ discounts that were the norm in Steam sales a few years ago anymore, now do we? I think it's hard to argue that when a game has been deeply discounted in the past buying at full price or with a lesser discount becomes less appealing to many.

It'll make it less appealing to those who haven't bought it yet, sure. But if they haven't bought it yet, it's reasonable to assume they already found the asking price unappealing to begin with. So it's more correlation than causation.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
No. No they are not. In the UK they are certainly not covered. Where do you get that idea?

Well, I managed a multi-million dollar online business for multiples years.

Supergiant never advertised a sale. In fact, they are not even the retailer in this situation. Consumer protection laws in almost every country only cover sale advertisements.

Also, with the sale itself, Epic clearly states in their terms and conditions that the promotions can be modified or canceled at any time.

I'd love to see what UK law they have violated.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
OK you clearly have no clue what transpired here and you accuse me of being an armchair lawyer. This was NOT a pricing error this was an intentional increase in the price of a product to take advantage of the sale and negate any sale value. During the sale Supergiant INTENTIONALLY raised the price from $19.,99 (which it had been at for ages) to $24.99. They even stated that $24.99 would be the "new" price cos blah blah new stuff blah blah. Now you don't need to be Detective bloody Joe to see that is dodgy as fuck and breaks several consumer laws. The fact they sharpishly changed the price back to $19.99 suggests to me another "armchair" lawyer had a lil word with them about the legality of what they did.

I'll bite. Find me the law they violated by changing the price of their product during a sale.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem I have with the "sales devalue games" argument is that I don't feel like it applies to this sale at all. I think it was very fairly communicated that it was Epic giving you a $10 discount, not an actual game discount. It's very explicitly stated to be the case, even moreso when you buy the game, you see the full price, the Epic voucher and the final price.

I don't think people would expect devs to match their price on their own. Maybe they'll hold out hopes of another $10 Epic voucher, but in that case the devs would still get their full price. I don't think people are that stupid to think it's the devs offering this discount because they don't think the game is worth the asking price. Just like people understand that it's GMG lowering their profits when they offer pre-order discounts, and not the publisher selling their game for less. People understand that they're not entitled to that discount after the pre-order period, and popular games continue on the Steam Top Sellers thing for a while after coming out, and having no available discount anymore.

I believe users understand the difference between a store discount and a publisher sale.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Recap. Epic's sale has Epic funding $10 discounts at no cost to the developer.

1. The game has been $19.99 since launch in December. Earlier today they said they currently had no plans to raise the price after Early Access, and if they did they would announce it well in advance.

2. The game had its own 15% off sale making it $16.99, then with the Epic funded $10 off it became $6.99. For Supergiant that was still effectively a $16.99 sale, with Epic eating the extra $10. People in Europe noted that 15% off discount brought it just below 14.99 so they couldn't get the Epic 10 off discount. Epic contacted Supergiant and they adjusted the price slightly higher so the Epic 10 discount would apply.

3. Later in the day, Supergiant decided to suddenly and permanently raise the price to $24.99 citing improvements to the game, with the only discount now being the Epic $10, and then present this as 25% discount off the original $19.99 price, even though Epic is entirely funding that $10 not Supergiant. Effectively, they screwed over customers with what some have said is illegal in the UK, EU and US, and they screwed over Epic. During an ongoing sale listed as valid to June 13 they removed their own 15% discount and also raised the base price, hours after saying they wouldn't do that. They just lost a sale here.

Thanks for the great summary. Not an unexpected move considering its from a studio that went for store exclusivity.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
The price is not reduced here at least, yesterday it was at slightly over 6€ ( they upped the price to 16€ to get the epic sale) now it's at 7.49€ and the game is at 17.49€, not a big deal but this kind of move is really wack.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
Hey, I'm going to crosspost this from our Discord. I hope someday I can come back to this forum and talk about Sekiro or something rather than have to post stuff like this, but we screwed up, and I screwed up personally in handling a lot of the communication today. Thank you for the feedback on this thread and the main thread about the sale.

________

Earlier today, Hades became available at a significant discount as part of the Epic Mega Sale on the Epic Games store. We communicated poorly in the hours that followed, and want to clear things up.

The retail price of Hades is now back to $19.99, our original launch price. With the Epic Discount, you can get the game for $10 off that price right now, through to the end of the sale on June 13.

After the sale is over, on June 14, we will be raising the game's retail price to $24.99. We had intended to raise the retail price of the game soon, but made the decision rashly as part of the sale -- we didn't provide advance notice to our customers, despite previously stating we would do so. That was our mistake, and we sincerely apologize. To all our players, thank you for your patience and understanding around this.
Good, I picked it up for $10.