• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
What do people think about Epic funding a game's development? Would you be fine with a game being exclusive in that case?

Sure. There's a huge difference between funding the development of a game (and taking the full risk that it fails) or moneyhatting a promising game right before release.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you coming back to the same argument that multiple people spent multiple pages debunking?

We have already talked about the differences, they are not the same, and you should declaring what is and isn't funding.

Your definition is not the industry's nor the games community's definition.
What's your opinion of Hades? The game is not completed, so would you say that Epic is funding the game?
So, you don't see a problem in the fact that the majority of the devs who took Epic's offer still happily using Steam infrastructure for marketing and support purposes?
If Valve allows it, then no?

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It does when they then go and spout pure false statements about Steam and the PC market, easily verifiably false statements.

I'm going to accuse anyone of lying but in a few posts in this thread I've seen the hand waving of steams services and general unfamiliarity with the various storefronts and AAA offerings as evidence toward someone's lack of first hand experience with the platform.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Sure. There's a huge difference between funding the development of a game (and taking the full risk that it fails) or moneyhatting a promising game right before release.
I'd also say that for the rhetoric of "the tyranny of the 30% cut" to carry any weight, I'd want to see the game not made available on any stores that take a 30% cut, so an actual epic store exclusive would be more convincing of that.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
If you want to discuss going exclusive after announcement, I still see no problem with that. Games get delayed and cancelled all the time. That falls into the same area.

There were games literally days from launch that announced all of a sudden they were no longer launching on Steam but now an an Epic Store exclusive.

The announcement of Metro moving to Epic was so short notice the retail boxes had to have stickers placed over them because they had already printed Steam logos on them.

You can not sit there and tell me these are not anti-consumer moves. Epic literally signing checks to ensure that people cannot actually purchase these games anywhere but their own store. Buying out the exclusive rights to games you did not develop and would have already existed otherwise is an anti-consumer move. It always has been and always will be.

You could argue back in the PS3/360 days (and all generations before that) when there was still a significant architectural difference between the major consoles that buying out exclusivity wasn't as big of a deal, as the effort to port games between the platforms might have been beyond the developer's means.

But on the PC that is much less of a significant problem, with the only things holding you up is how deeply you integrated some features from any given release platform (like Steamworks stuff), or if you intend to release the game under the Windows Store.

For the vast majority of games on the PC, there is nothing stopping a third party dev from releasing their game thru a variety of platforms, and consumers will get the CHOICE of who they want to support, and businesses will have the OPTION of competing with each other for your dollar.

Right now Epic competes with no one when it comes to games like Metro, or any other games they've bought the exclusive rights to. Even for games that aren't out yet, releasing on Steam or other platforms allows competitions and for the consumer to actually save money:

Fdke2wM.jpg

Where was this competition when Metro released? Who was willing to offer me the best deal for my money at the time?

What level of competition is Epic actually "bringing" to the market?

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
A monopoly is when a commodity only has one supplier. From a legal perspective being "close enough" to 100% market share is enough to trigger protections against it. As luck would have it, Steam is not even remotely close to being the only supplier of videogames on the PC platform. Please consider the following games that are available on PC, but not available on Steam:
  • Fortnite, one of the hottest games in the world.
  • Minecraft, a generation defining cultural touchstone.
  • League of Legends, the biggest Moba in the world and much larger than Dota 2.
  • Every single game from Electronic Arts since ~2012, one of the largest publishers in the world, including series such as Battlefield, Battlefront, The Sims, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and Apex Legends, the latest hotness taking the world by storm.
  • Every single game from Blizzard, including such minor titles as World of Warcraft, Overwatch, Diablo III and Starcraft 2.
  • Several recent major games from Activision, which along with Blizard are the largest Western publisher. Call of Duty: BLOPS 4 and Destiny 2 were not on steam and most of their major games going forwards probably won't be either.
  • An increasing number of Microsoft first party titles starting in about ~2016, which are exclusive to the Microsoft store. Every major release this year onward that is internally developed by the (increasingly substantial) Microsoft Studios teams will be Win store exclusive.

Then there are publishers who are flirting with leaving steam and going to do their own thing. Ubisoft is doing a uPlay + Epic release for The Division 2 and damned Epic with faint praise because the move resulted in a dramatic increase in the proportion of preorders being on uPlay (compared to when it was on Steam where people wanted to buy the Steam copy generally). Ubisoft will probably move away from Steam towards a uPlay exclsive model eventually, with small Epic store releases for some games, Steam releases for other games in the interim, decided on a per-game basis. Once people show they're ok with uPlay exclusives, it's inevitable they will just switch to taking 100% of the cut for themselves. Why wouldn't they? Ubisoft, along with Activision-Blizzard and Electronic Arts make up the top 3 western publishers.

(Side note: Tencent, the largest videogame publisher in the world, who owns a majority stake in Epic games, also owns a 5% stake in Ubisoft and may seek to increase their holding now that Vivendi has dropped their takeover bid and begun selling off its stake).

Bethesda, another major Western publisher, has begun experimenting with going exclusive to their launcher. Fallout 76 remains a Bethesda Launcher exclusive, and Rage 2 will be going exclusive. Although not yet explicitly confirmed, Doom Eternal and Wolfenstein: Youngbloods are extremely likely to be Bethesda launcher exclusive games.

Steam will be enjoying only a minority of AAA game releases on PC this year, as well as a decreasing percentage of AA game releases on their platform. From western publishers, the last major holdouts are Take 2 (Rockstar social club exists and they could easily pivot to their own launcher if they really wanted to) and Warner Brothers Interactive (too few games to make it worthwhile currently). Even mid tier people like Paradox interactive have their own launcher and storefront which they may some day pivot to. Japanese publishers are currently far more onboard with Steam, with Capcom being the golden child this year, but Square Enix, Sega and mid-tier Japanese publishers are still showing an interest in the platform.

Even before Epic came along and started signing exclusivity deals for games, Steam has been slowly loosing major publisher support over a period of years as more and more companies decided that they wanted to keep 100% of their sales even if that meant a decline in total sales volume for certain titles. Epic are not overthrowing a vast monopoly, that's a fallacious yet oddly popular misreading of the industry situation. Rather, they've sensed blood in the water and are pouncing to focus on the most consistent section of the market that Steam does have - Indie developers smaller scale games who rely on Steam not just for distribution, but often to find their audience as well.

If Steam had a "monopoly", then it's monopoly was on a subset (smaller / indie games) of a subset (PC games) of videogames. And even then, only under the loose definition of monpoly meaning "market leader who you would be foolish not to ship your game on because there are so many customers on the platform".

That's actually incorrect. What you're describing is a 'pure monopoly'. Steam is still very much a monopoly accounting for around 30% of people playing games .

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
That's actually incorrect. What you're describing is a 'pure monopoly'. Steam is still very much a monopoly accounting for around 30% of people playing games .

Monopoly... and 30%

Wow that's stretching the definition all right just to label Steam this.

So by definition Sony has a monopoly on the console market.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Monopoly... and 30%

Even if you tell them with facts that Steam isn't a monopoly, they still want to believe Steam is a monopoly.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
My issue is that games on Steam can be had on GMG, Amazon, and so on. Games on the Epic Store are only purchasable from the Epic Store. Can't take advantage of an Amazon fire sell that way; that's my issue with it at least.

Until the games exclusive to it can be purchased outside of it, I'll have an issue. When that day comes, i won't really care what client it's tied to.
That is absolutely true. But I hope we can agree that you have elaborated in your issue with this situation much more than the average poster.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

Steam does not maintain the exclusive ability to sell PC video games on the market.

They are definitely the market leader in terms of selling a general assortment of video games, but there are not the only option, nor are they (to our knowledge) working in cooperation with their "competitors" to ensure it stays that way (aka this is not a cartel, nor is it a oligopoly, although it's not too far off from being one if the industry chose to go that way).

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Monopoly... and 30%

If there were 2 other competitors that also had around 30% market share, the PC market would be an oligopoly. This is the case with Sony as their market share doesn't dwarf Microsoft and Nintendo.

But in this case yes, Steam is a monopoly in the PC games market as there are no other competitors with market share close to theirs.

Steam does not maintain the exclusive ability to sell PC video games on the market.

They are definitely the market leader in terms of selling a general assortment of video games, but there are not the only option, nor are they (to our knowledge) working in cooperation with their "competitors" to ensure it stays that way (aka this is not a cartel, nor is it a oligopoly, although it's not too far off from being one if the industry chose to go that way).

That's not the definition of a monopoly.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
If there were 2 other competitors that also had around 30% market share, the PC market would be an oligopoly. This is the case with Sony as their market share doesn't dwarf Microsoft and Nintendo.

But in this case yes, Steam is a monopoly in the PC games market as there are no other competitors with market share close to theirs.

Market share as a launcher/distributor or seller of games/game keys?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

mo·nop·o·lyDictionary result for monopoly
/məˈnäpəlē/
Learn to pronounce
noun
the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.

Alternatively:
Characteristics of a Monopoly
  • High or no barriers to entry: Other competitors are not able to enter the market
  • Single seller: There is only one seller in the market. In this instance, the company becomes the same as the industry it serves.
  • Price maker: The company that operates the monopoly decides the price of the product that it will sell.
  • Price discrimination: The firm can change the price or quantity of the product at any time.
None of these apply to steam. But it's nice that crazy people can just make up meanings for words to win arguments on the internet.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
If the storefronts come together to make a Movies Anywhere style experience for PC games I'll happily link all the stores to it and use the platform of my choice.

Otherwise, having my games spread across a dozen different storefronts because every motherfucker wants to sell cheap PC games is nothing more than an annoyance to me. I'd rather pay more for Steam games.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Otherwise, having my games spread across a dozen different storefronts because every motherfucker wants to sell cheap PC games is nothing more than an annoyance to me.

Even worse: games on Epic's Store aren't cheaper. They are more expensive because they don't support competing 3rd party keystores.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
This question of what is and is not a monopoly just an attempt to excuse and provide the reason for the necessity of moneyhatting games by Epic in order to be big enough to compete? Are we again at the point of "anti-consumer now to be pro-consumer later"?

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This question of what is and is not a monopoly just an attempt to excuse and provide the reason for the necessity of moneyhatting games by Epic in order to be big enough to compete? Are we again at the point of "anti-consumer now to be pro-consumer later"?

Yes.

Also, shame on us for not supporting devs who support anti consumer moves.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
That's not the definition of a monopoly.

Maybe you should lay out that definition for us then, because it's not lining up with literally every interpretation of the word.

Steam does not control the market. It is one of the largest pieces of it, but it does not restrict any game released on it's platform to be only sold via it's platform, it cannot arbitrarily define prices as it sees fit (and lets developers choose their own even to their own detriment), and does not sell every available game on the market due to exclusives developed for other, competing platforms.

Also, there are already competing platforms.

Steam has a monopoly on Valve developed titles. That's about it.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
/məˈnäpəlē/
Learn to pronounce
noun
the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service.

Alternatively:
  • High or no barriers to entry: Other competitors are not able to enter the market
  • Single seller: There is only one seller in the market. In this instance, the company becomes the same as the industry it serves.
  • Price maker: The company that operates the monopoly decides the price of the product that it will sell.
  • Price discrimination: The firm can change the price or quantity of the product at any time.
None of these apply to steam. But it's nice that crazy people can just make up meanings for words to win arguments on the internet.

I have a degree in economics and accounting so what do I know. But it's nice that crazy people can just Google something and copy/paste the result without any context.

The characteristics you quoted are typical characteristics of a monopoly, not requirements. Also, Steam does have barriers to entry, being high infrastructure costs, brand recognition, technical expertise, publisher relations, brand loyalty, etc.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
We never really left that point

I have a degree in economics and accounting so what do I know. But it's nice that crazy people can just Google something and copy/paste the result without any context.

The characteristics you quoted are typical characteristics of a monopoly, not requirements. Also, Steam does have barriers to entry, being high infrastructure costs, brand recognition, technical expertise, publisher relations, brand loyalty, etc.
Well yeah... if you compare Steam to Steam (for some reason), then yeah Steam is having a monopoly on beeing Steam and beeing Steam-like. We're talking about the general PC gaming tho and not a single of your points has anything to do with a monopoly or the topic.

Last edited:

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS

So it doesn't look like a duck, and it doesn't quack like a duck, but I have a degree (and am making the presumption that the people I'm responding to don't or are uneducated) thus I declare it's a duck.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
/məˈnäpəlē/
Learn to pronounce
noun

Alternatively:
Taking all of that into consideration, it is Epic the one who is the monopoly. Technically, EGS is a monopoly since you can only buy those games from their store, with the only exceptions being The Division 2 and Metro.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

Steam offers the ability to resell game keys for free on other store fronts.

The barrier is to be accepted by steam to be hosted on their store, which they've been trying to make easier.

Epic has offered deals to successful and high profile indie devs and AAA devs. I would argue the barrier is far higher for a small 5 person team to get their game on epic than it would be for them to get their game on steam.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017

a Degree doesn't mean shit if you are still wrong.

Your still haven't listed your concrete definition of monopoly. You haven been running around making the claim and then making nonsensical arguments.

Your admit Steam doesn't even have majority control of the market.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

As far as I'm aware, you only need $100 to publish your game on Steam. Or did you mistype Steam for EGS?

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Steam offers the ability to resell game keys for free on other store fronts.

The barrier is to be accepted by steam to be hosted on their store, which they've been trying to make easier.

Epic has offered deals to successful and high profile indie devs and AAA devs. I would argue the barrier is far higher for a small 5 person team to get their game on epic than it would be for them to get their game on steam.

Barrier to entry refers to competitors of other storefront, not developers or publishers putting their games on one of the stores.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Barrier to entry refers to competitors of other storefront, not developers or publishers putting their games on one of the stores.

Ok, steam has storefront competitors. Humble, GOG, Origin, Amazon, Newegg, GMG, key resellers. And yes, I have a large number of games purchased on other storefronts in my collection.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
a Degree doesn't mean shit if you are still wrong.

Your still haven't listed your concrete definition of monopoly. You haven been running around making the claim and then making nonsensical arguments.

Your admit Steam doesn't even have majority control of the market.

Whether or not an entity has a monopoly depends on the size and nature of the market, so it's somewhat variable.

In one instance an entity can have a 30% market share, but another firm in the industry may also have 30%. This would make it an oligopoly.

In another instance an entity can have a 25% market share, but no other entity in the market has above 5%. This would make it a monopoly.

Ok, steam has storefront competitors. Humble, GOG, Origin, Amazon, Newegg, GMG, key resellers. And yes, I have a large number of games purchased on other storefronts in my collection.

None of those are as big as Steam in terms of selling digital games, and many of those had already entered the market before Steam was as big as it is. Therefore you're referring to a barrier to exit, not entry.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In another instance an entity can have a 25% market share, but no other entity in the market has above 5%. This would make it a monopoly.
I guess explaining the word "mono" in "monopoly" wasn't a topic when you got your degree in economics and accounting. You are describing a polypol btw.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
I guess explaining the word "mono" in "monopoly" wasn't a topic when you got your degree in economics and accounting. You are describing a polypol btw.

And if all of that was enough to be a monopoly.

A whole host of companies should already being sued for anti-trust. *cough Amazon*

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Whether or not an entity has a monopoly depends on the size and nature of the market, so it's somewhat variable.

In one instance an entity can have a 30% market share, but another firm in the industry may also have 30%. This would make it an oligopoly.

None of those are as big as Steam in terms of selling digital games, and many of those had already entered the market before Steam was as big as it is. Therefore you're referring to a barrier to exit, not entry.

GOG, Origin, Humble, GMG all came after steam.

As to barrier to entry into the market, none of those services have failed due to steam presenting too high of a barrier to enter the PC gaming market. The new twitch service and discord, not to mention Bethesda store and hell epic game store itself were unable to enter the market due to Steam.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017

That's the definition of a monopoly in market terms. Words can have variations on their meanings. Monopoly can mean 1, but in this situation, it doesn't.

GOG, Origin, Humble, GMG all came after steam.

As to barrier to entry into the market, none of those services have failed due to steam presenting too high of a barrier to enter the PC gaming market. The new twitch service and discord, not to mention Bethesda store and hell epic game store itself were unable to enter the market due to Steam.

I'm not sure what you're trying to insinuate. Just because there are barriers to entry, doesn't mean new business can't be successful, it just makes things more difficult. And as I said, none of those are even remotely as large as Steam.

Deltoid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
User warned: drive-by post, antagonising other members.
why do people still get so mad at the idea of steam being a monopoly? literally climate change denier behaviour in this thread

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
That's the definition of a monopoly in market terms. Words can have variations on their meanings. Monopoly can mean 1, but in this situation, it doesn't.

You tout your economic/accounting degree and then say you weren't talking about the market term? You made fun of people for using the dictionary definition and now you run away from the market term?

What?

Last edited:

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Because it isn't one, despite the various definitions presented to twist it into being one.

Lovely that you compare posters to "climate change deniers".

To add to your post.

Something could be said about people who believe a massive corporation is acting anti-consumer in the here and now to be good for all of us in the long run. That sounds like another group supporting really questionable policies now in the unfounded belief good things will come.

But that would be an unfair comparison.

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

I'm not sure what you're trying to insinuate. Just because there are barriers to entry, doesn't mean new business can't be successful, it just makes things more difficult. And as I said, none of those are even remotely as large as Steam.

Amazon is a mega giant, it dominates ALL retail, not just PC gaming software.

How easy does it need to be to enter the market? What would be a fair level where you would no longer consider steam to be a monopoly?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
To add to your post.

Something could be said about people who believe a massive corporation is acting anti-consumer in the here and now to be good for all of us in the long run. That sounds like another group supporting really questionable policies now in the unfounded belief good things will come.

But that would be an unfair comparison.

Hey! Also the idea that if we support Epic buying exclusivity for already well known and successful developers, their success will trickle down to the real unknown and suffering developers!

That sounds so familiar.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Mono: a single entity with 100% market share
Oligo: few entities with a sum of 100% market share
poly: many entities with any given amount of the market share

You can set up a webserver right now, get a domain and sell PC games within the next 10 minutes. How is that a monopol? I'm using the common definition of "monopol" and not the Alex840-monopol-definition btw.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
If the storefronts come together to make a Movies Anywhere style experience for PC games I'll happily link all the stores to it and use the platform of my choice.

Otherwise, having my games spread across a dozen different storefronts because every motherfucker wants to sell cheap PC games is nothing more than an annoyance to me. I'd rather pay more for Steam games.

I'll take this sentiment one step further. Even if EGS, Origin and Uplay achieved full feature parity with Steam, I would STILL prefer to buy my games on Steam for the sake of platform and ecosystem consistency and functionality. If Microsoft had done a better job over the past decade of building Windows itself as the gaming platform of choice by offering the community and infrastructure that Steam does (and the alternative launchers currently fail to do), and the proprietary storefronts all played nicely with it then this would be a much different conversation that really could be about the economics of retail availability. It's the conflation of storefront availability with ongoing game functionality that sits at the root of my disdain for launcher exclusivity.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Taking all of that into consideration, it is Epic the one who is the monopoly. Technically, EGS is a monopoly since you can only buy those games from their store, with the only exceptions being The Division 2 and Metro.

Video games are the commodity. Hades is a single type of video game, it being locked to a store does not make that store a monopoly. Good try though.

Steam is not a monopoly either, anyone saying either is a monopoly is wrong and extremely questionable in their motivations

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
But we're discussing the actions, not rights, of both the developer and customers. In my opinion, their actions are understandable because it's the world of business, and the actions of people here boycotting the games they would otherwise enjoy is a bit idealistic and pointless. Just my opinion.

It's not just idealism. A game purchased on EGS is an inferior product than the same game purchased on Steam, due to all the extra features and services around it. Even if it was just idealism, there's absolutely nothing wrong with idealism playing a part in purchasing decisions. I have limited time and money to spend on games and I'd rather spend it on games and developers that deserve it. Not on developers that don't care about audience preference or on games that don't have the features that I want.