• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oculus Quest 2 was released in October 2020, so that's like 2 months worth of sales figure.

www.superdataresearch.com

SuperData XR Quarterly Update — SuperData, a Nielsen Company

SuperData now projects XR hardware and consumer software will earn $6.3B in 2020. The impact of COVID-19 has been felt throughout the industry, though certain sectors are poised to experience rebounds as early as the second half of this year.

Capture.jpg

Over 1M Oculus Quest 2 headsets were sold in Q4, breaking records. The Quest 2 sold more units in a single quarter than any VR device that is not powered by a smartphone. (The Samsung Gear VR holds the overall record and sold 1.4M units in Q4 2016.) The Quest 2 benefitted from a lower price than its predecessor and also from pent-up demand among those interested in joining the VR audience. The original Quest was sold out during much of 2020 due to the impact of COVID-19 on supply chains. The Quest 2 was also the first Oculus headset to launch around the holiday season, so its addressable audience included gift givers in addition to VR enthusiasts.

Standalone devices like the Quest 2 are set to account for 87% of new VR headset sales* in 2021. Since the Quest 2 can be used to play PC VR games, a significant share of PC gamers are expected to opt for the Quest and similar "hybrid devices," when purchasing a VR headset in the future. The most devoted enthusiasts will likely continue to favor high-end devices including the Valve Index and HP Reverb G2.

*Figures in this paragraph do not include "light mobile" VR headsets like Google Cardboard and similar devices.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely felt like a turning point for VR. Hopefully the industry is off to the races now.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a fan of their commercials... false advertisement like a mothafucka. I'm surprised some here haven't created threads about it.

I doubt they could pull off that BS in the EU.

Edit- talking about the Oculus Quest 2.

OP
OP
Arthands

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not a fan of their commercials... false advertisement like a mothafucka. I'm surprised some here haven't created threads about it.

I doubt they could pull off that BS in the EU.

Edit- talking about the Oculus Quest 2.

You mean this?

They got a disclaimer there saying not actual gameplay.

Nov 18, 2020
This data is inaccurate. Do not trust SuperData. They are the VGChartz of digital retail lol

I can also throw any random sales number out there and get suckers to pay for it.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Well. Well. Well.

That's quite the chart. Do I believe it? I don't know. I don't know at all.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
I don't see this being unrealistic at all considering how popular Quest 1 was, and this is cheaper/better.

www.roadtovr.com

Oculus Quest 2 Surpasses Original Quest in Monthly Active Users

In a look back at 2020, Facebook Reality Lab’s head Andrew Bosworth revealed that Quest 2 quietly celebrated a few new milestones shortly after its October 13th launch. In the blogpost, Bosworth says that despite the need for social distancing in 2020, it’s actually been a pretty great year for...

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're the only one with store space (they're at every best buy, walmart and target, etc. Must have been huge with parents) and constant advertisements, its not a surprise.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
So... As someone with a mid-range PC at most (1050Ti, i3-9100) and absolutely zero intention of having a Facebook account, is the Quest 2 really that worth it? I'm pretty happy with my PSVR, but the fact that it's wireless and there's a bigger catalogue kinda pulls me every now and then.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
SuperData are a joke.

That being said, Quest 2 is clearly doing very well and is actually exceeding Facebook's expectations.

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty good. My brother bought 4 for Christmas and we also sold his co-worker on one. I haven't had a chance to try the Quest 2 yet but I love my Quest 1. Coming from a Rift DK2→Vive→Quest has been mind-blowing. The standalone experience is already dope but being able to play my PCVR catalog wirelessly is a game changer. I'm not going back to wires no matter the trade-off.

Edit: Assuming these numbers are legit.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I'm one of the quest buyers, the ease of use, literally just putting it on my head and being ready to go has kept me playing it every few days whereas playing my PSVR was a once every other month, maybe type deal.

That said, would love a legit alternative to Wipeout VR on it.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda want the PSVR2 to be able to play some games standalone like the quest. Then can connect to PS5 to play the larger games that require it.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
This is from Facebook's Q4 earnings call just a few days ago:

"Other revenue was $885 million, up 156% ($539M), due to strong Quest 2 holiday sales."

FacebookOtherRevenue_Q42020.png.webp

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Quest 2 is amazing, I have no interest in PSVR due to all the wirings, still hope that Astrobot gets ported to other platforms or at least PC

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So... As someone with a mid-range PC at most (1050Ti, i3-9100) and absolutely zero intention of having a Facebook account, is the Quest 2 really that worth it? I'm pretty happy with my PSVR, but the fact that it's wireless and there's a bigger catalogue kinda pulls me every now and then.
Some sort of VR headset is worth it I'd say, the Quest 2 is definitely the best in its price class but the FB account is mandatory and they've done a lot of stupid shit like randomly banning accounts with all their purchases (I hope that was just teething problems since they had a lot of people sign up just before a US election full of false information but even then it's not acceptable). If FB weren't such dicks about it I'd say absolutely go for it but as it is that's a matter of how well you get along with FB. There are non-FB options out there although they're far lower quality for the money.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
If you're really into VR and can stomach the Facebook element, then yes. Excellent headset at a killer price. In terms of games I would say PSVR has better content than the Oculus Quest library, but given your computer and access to PC titles there's a lot of really great stuff out there that still isn't/won't ever be available on PSVR.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Is it easy to sideload VR apps on the Quest 2 or is it a pain/not possible? I've been waffling on a purchase for a while now, but I think the main thing I want is a jailbreakable headset.

Oct 28, 2017
I kinda want the PSVR2 to be able to play some games standalone like the quest. Then can connect to PS5 to play the larger games that require it.
100% this should be what Sony come out with. A VR device they can sell standalone but increases in value if you have a PS5. Lets face it really high end AAA VR games are super rare anyway.

Oct 28, 2017
They barely support it as it is. You think they are going to support 2 different sets of games?
My expectations for Sony to support their side platforms couldn't be lower and that would be no different if it required a PS5 to play or not. But a device that works standalone makes the most sense. Having to buy a console and a headset is an unnecessary barrier.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
My casual friends all jumped on the Quest 2 and have all been telling each other to get it

God i hope the other VR makers are taking note about what it gets right.
PSVR2 needs to absolutely capitalize on this ASAP

Fuck FaceBook in the Face

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
My expectations for Sony to support their side platforms couldn't be lower and that would be no different if it required a PS5 to play or not. But a device that works standalone makes the most sense. Having to buy a console and a headset is an unnecessary barrier.
I totally agree but history suggests they will not support it and it would likely not be a big success.

I really wish Facebook and Oculus could just be separate.

Oct 28, 2017
I totally agree but history suggests they will not support it and it would likely not be a big success.

I really wish Facebook and Oculus could just be separate.
My thoughts on it are that if they make it, third parties will come. If you're a third party and you're making a Quest game, why wouldn't they also put that on PSVR2? Sony's support themselves with software could be limited and still have the platform succeed.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I think wireless is going to be the next big step. What Quest has right is that if you aren't using PC link, you have wireless. If you are (and wanting to play games like Half-Life Alyx, or other PC-centric games), then you're tethered to your PC.

I used to think wireless wasn't a big deal for VR, and then I was proven wrong once I bought the wireless adapter for my OG Vive on sale. That shit was a game changer for sure. I have heard that the adapter works best on the OG Vive as there's virtually no lose in picture quality, unlike the Vive Pro (or the other newer models). I kind of think the next iteration of the Index really needs to have wireless as an option. It's a really huge deal.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Why not? A standalone well priced PSVR2 could sell well enough.

I don't think it would. Oculus are going all out to get success and I think they will keep snapping up VR content one way or another as well.

I don't see what would sell a standalone PSVR2 headset that Sony doesn't give a shit about.

I really hope I'm wrong because competition is badly needed.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Latest SteamVR survey came out and is pretty interesting. Valve has had real problems intrigrating Q2 numbers into the survey (Link and VD being recognized as Rift S or Quest 1 depending on which you were using).

They seem to have finally moved Quest 2 into the "other" category and "other" went from 3% to 18%. Hopefully it gets its own category soon. It's close to exceeding the Index right now (if it hasn't already) and would only be behind Rift S. With Rift S basically done with manufacturing and on clearance, it wouldn't be shocking if Q2 was the most widely used HMD on Steam in a couple more months.

I think wireless is going to be the next big step. What Quest has right is that if you aren't using PC link, you have wireless. If you are (and wanting to play games like Half-Life Alyx, or other PC-centric games), then you're tethered to your PC.

I used to think wireless wasn't a big deal for VR, and then I was proven wrong once I bought the wireless adapter for my OG Vive on sale. That shit was a game changer for sure. I have heard that the adapter works best on the OG Vive as there's virtually no lose in picture quality, unlike the Vive Pro (or the other newer models). I kind of think the next iteration of the Index really needs to have wireless as an option. It's a really huge deal.

With Virtual Desktop and a good router, Quest 2 has fantastic wireless PCVR too. Don't let people scare you with numbers and the bandwidth available. With a good home network, Quest 2 and PCVR is magic. It's how I played HL:A (that I got for free with my Index purchase). As far as I'm concerned, it's the absolute best way to play PCVR unless you're willing to spring for Vive Pro + wireless adapter + knuckles. And even then, Q2 is going to have a way higher pixel count. The jump from those Vive Pro/Quest 1 screens to Q2 is significant in the resolution department (obviously Vive Pro/Quest 1 have the better Oled contrast).

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Latest SteamVR survey came out and is pretty interesting. Valve has had real problems intrigrating Q2 numbers into the survey (Link and VD being recognized as Rift S or Quest 1 depending on which you were using).

They seem to have finally moved Quest 2 into the "other" category and "other" went from 3% to 18%. Hopefully it gets its own category soon. It's close to exceeding the Index right now (if it hasn't already) and would only be behind Rift S. With Rift S basically done with manufacturing and on clearance, it wouldn't be shocking if Q2 was the most widely used HMD on Steam in a couple more months.

With Virtual Desktop and a good router, Quest 2 has fantastic wireless PCVR too. Don't let people scare you with numbers and the bandwidth available. With a good home network, Quest 2 and PCVR is magic. It's how I played HL:A (that I got for free with my Index purchase). As far as I'm concerned, it's the absolute best way to play PCVR unless you're willing to spring for Vive Pro + wireless adapter + knuckles. And even then, Q2 is going to have a way higher pixel count. The jump from those Vive Pro/Quest 1 screens to Q2 is significant in the resolution department (obviously Vive Pro/Quest 1 have the better Oled contrast).
I don't disagree that quest is good PCVR, I'm just saying that wireless PCVR is going to be a necessity.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I don't disagree that quest is good PCVR, I'm just saying that wireless PCVR is going to be a necessity.

Oh, absolutely. I've become militant in that I don't even see the point of anyone releasing a PCVR HMD that isn't wireless. IMO, with Q2 and the state of VD, it's reached the point of being completely pointless.

We need that higher end PCVR market, but they need to embrace reality and be wireless or bust. Preferably with 60Ghz wireless (for zero compromises).

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, absolutely. I've become militant in that I don't even see the point of anyone releasing a PCVR HMD that isn't wireless. IMO, with Q2 and the state of VD, it's reached the point of being completely pointless.

We need that higher end PCVR market, but they need to embrace reality and be wireless or bust. Preferably with 60Ghz wireless (for zero compromises).
Yeah, I think the Vive Wireless is nice, but it does require a $350 adapter + the cost of the headset itself.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Is it easy to sideload VR apps on the Quest 2 or is it a pain/not possible? I've been waffling on a purchase for a while now, but I think the main thing I want is a jailbreakable headset.

You need to have a developer account. It's not a huge pain, but it's a kind of a pain (especially so if you're not PC savvy). Supposedly we're going to get curation restrictions lifted any day now (was supposed to already be live but bugs popped up). This will get most of the stuff on Sidequest onto the Oculus store. But it'll be unlinked on the store. So it'll have to be marketed outside the store to get any traffic. I would imagine the grey market stuff (like modded Beatsaber or all the Dr. Beef ports) will still need Sidequest though.