• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Have to say a lot of the failure here is on the part of the media. Going to find it very hard to trust the reviewers that piled in with those early 9s and 10s ever again.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
The game is decent on PC. I'd probably give it an 8/10.

They would have been better off cancelling the PS4/Xbox One versions in 2019 and then focusing on the PC version and cutting less content.

I don't think it's really rewarding bad practices that it did so well. I have to imagine console sales are pretty poor, or at the very least aren't anywhere even remotely close to their potential. I'm sure the money counters look at that area and see a lot of lost potential—having the game off of PSN has to hurt in that regard.

Oct 29, 2017
They might well have a success on their hands this time? But what damage has it done to their reputation?

Me thinks that their next game will be what really feels the ramifications of Cyberpunk...

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
In the end, companies can pull a lot of shit and still be rewarded if their product is what people want.

Cyberpunk 2077 was a good game on my Xbox Series X, especially the well-written quests and the multi-layered characters. But CD Project has lost a lot of trust from me given the way they treat their employees, view minorities and straight out lie about last-gen versions of their game. I will not forget this, but many will.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Undeserved.

They might well have a success on their hands this time? But what damage has it done to their reputation?

Me thinks that their next game will be what really feels the ramifications of Cyberpunk...
I think they'll play it safe with a Witcher 4 and most will have forgotten by the time that comes out. Potential investors will definitely take note, however.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Damn guess they're gonna double down on their transphobic bullshit while appealing to "gamers"
Fuck this company and people defending them

Plum

May 31, 2018
It wouldn't be a Cyberpunk story if the corpos didn't still win in the end

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I never doubted the massive launch, but I bet the legs will be bad.

I don't think they will be. As soon as they fix the most glaring bugs and release the next-gen versions there will be a massive influx of new buyers. They'll bundle a couple of free DLC and all will be forgiven as people start praising CDPR for supporting the game. Again, the example of No Man's Sky shows that most customers and media have very short memories.

Jun 17, 2018
I mean, achieving all this through lies isn't something they should be proud of or happy about. They got their money and that's all they'll care about, I hope it was worth it. Gross company.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I blame gamers who constantly buy into hype and pre-ordering for a big part of their success. But this is mostly pc numbers, and I think that version was ok? Haven't played it, so I wouldn't know.

This just proves that marketing and hype is a big factor for success. CP2077 didn't deserve this success.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
Have to say a lot of the failure here is on the part of the media. Going to find it very hard to trust the reviewers that piled in with those early 9s and 10s ever again.

I know that opinions are just opinions, but this review was genuinely embarrassing I thought. Even before the game came out it read as so hyperbolic it was indistinguishable from some hyper 7 year old kid describing their brand new Christmas present, let alone after everyone saw the true state of the thing.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked the game, but there was way too much issues.

But i think Cyberpunk showed us all how meaningless reviews are. It's all about the hype and not getting boycotted by the same people that clicks on ads. I can't possibly trust any website that reviewed the game with a 9 or a 10.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I don't think they will be. As soon as they fix the most glaring bugs and release the next-gen versions there will be a massive influx of new buyers. They'll bundle a couple of free DLC and all will be forgiven as people start praising CDPR for supporting the game.

There is no DLC coming anytime soon. The next gen version of the game isn't even scheduled until the second half of 2021.

Again, the example of No Man's Sky shows that most customers and media have very short memories.

Not a good example. No Man's Sky was lacking features that were promised. Cyberpunk was nearly unplayable on last gen consoles and a buggy mess on both PC and when played on current gen consoles.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You mean 5 days? PSN/XBL started offering refunds from Dec 17. Not to mention, refunds were available long after those sales figures were announced on Dec 22. CDPR couldn't possibly have factored all of them.

The story is largely the same and your choices barely play any role outside of the prologue being different based on the life path you choose. Poor AI and physics put a huge dent on the gameplay imo.
Some missions are choices exclusive. Alanah Pearce's mission is nomad exclusive for one.

Also exclusive dialogue choice that unlock additional ways on how to approach a mission.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
There is no DLC coming anytime soon. The next gen version of the game isn't even scheduled until the second half of 2021.

Not a good example. No Man's Sky was lacking features that were promised. Cyberpunk was nearly unplayable on last gen consoles and a buggy mess on both PC and when played on current gen consoles.

It doesn't have to be the exact same situation to be useful in determining a pattern of behavior.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I know that opinions are just opinions, but this review was genuinely embarrassing I thought. Even before the game came out it read as so hyperbolic it was indistinguishable from some hyper 7 year old kid describing their brand new Christmas present, let alone after everyone saw the true state of the thing.

You'd hope a lot of lessons are being learned by some game critics/'journalists'. Of course in some cases it's probably fully intentional. In Jez Corden's case, I think he just gets blinded by hype at times. I'll never forget this gem from before Sea of Thieves' ignominious launch: "Any concerns I had about Sea of Thieves are gone. This will be 2018's PUBG." As you say, the words of someone struggling to keep their excitement under control to actually analyse what is in front of them.

MrLPG

Dec 29, 2017
That's terrible news for the industry and players. It just shows that marketing > everything when it comes to AAA games. And that's quite dangerous consumire-wise.

I've somewhat enjoyed the game and have it already platinumed, but it hurts to see how straight out lying about some things and deceiving can get you this far...

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
Their next game won't be so massively pre-ordered. People are now sceptical.
I feel like the game is good enough to be one of the best selling games of the year but not good enough for the biggest launch of all time. It was released too soon and could have been the GOAT if given another year to re-do some sections.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Its probably been the best game i have ever played, but it did have alot of bugs and performance issues (which should have been fixed before launch) when they fix these, i Will probably do a second playthrough

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
We're limiting the number of cyberpunk threads for good reason, see the OT to continue this discussion. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.