• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Who wins Mister Wendal?

46w4bf6tip151.png

Dragon-ball-super-Broly-scaled-e1636738650727.jpeg

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I feel like they're pretty similar in feats but DBS characters are above like 99% of DC in raw strength. So I dunno. They sit down and talk about their problems instead.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Legitimately, Death Metal had two really good side stories.

Owlman realizing he's the one true evil Batman expy and that it didn't matter what happened, as long as the multiverse continued to exist, he'd always come back.

Superboy Prime finally getting over himself, getting closure, and going back home to become a hero.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hot take: Marvel and DC characters should be banned from VS hypotheticals unless we agree to not use the comics as reference, as the sheer number of issues with different writers and continuities just gives them "win in any scenario" passes.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Hot take: Marvel and DC characters should be banned from VS hypotheticals unless we agree to not use the comics as reference, as the sheer number of issues with different writers and continuities just gives them "win in any scenario" passes.
Not saying you're wrong, but as a relative outsider to the genre, couldnt you make a similar case with shonen manga characters with their constant "I've removed the weights/I've learned a new technique/I've reached a higher power level" chicanery?

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Not saying you're wrong, but as a relative outsider to the genre, couldnt you make a similar case with shonen manga characters with their constant "I've removed the weights/I've learned a new technique/I've reached a higher power level" chicanery?

Those characters tend to only exist in one series, with (usually) one author and a defined timeline.

Meanwhile, cape comics have decades of issues with different writers all with their own ideas and constant crossovers along with constant escalation leading to stuff like Superboy Prime breaking reality by punching it.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like SBP wi s this if only because whatever planet they fight on will be destroyed, and he x an hold his breath longer.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Is this a joke thread? This is like Goku vs Superman.. Superman would always win.. just like Superboy Prime here.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Those characters tend to only exist in one series, with (usually) one author and a defined timeline.

Meanwhile, cape comics have decades of issues with different writers all with their own ideas and constant crossovers along with constant escalation leading to stuff like Superboy Prime breaking reality by punching it.
Sure, I guess my argument is that even with one timeline and a singular author, a lot of shonen protags tend to have ridiculously undefined power levels as well as narrative power creep that makes them not much more reliable than your standard western cape hero, in terms of judging their abilities.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

No, its not really the same situation.

DC is a nightmare to discuss because of constant reboots and things going in and out of canon.

Marvel on the other hand has one single timeline/universe in which every story and every character exist in canon going back to 1961. (Secret Wars 2015 made things somewhat more flexible, but its still more or less true.)

With THAT much backstory to deal with no matter the scenario, someone has already thought of it, and power escalation being what it is there are countless characters wandering around that can't be defeated by anything other than a plot device.

Edit: Scarlet Witch is the perfect example of this. Even editorial can't really describe what her powers do anymore and despite numerous nerfs is still one of the most ridiculously overpowered characters in fiction.

Last edited:

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
No, its not really the same situation.

DC is a nightmare to discuss because of constant reboots and things going in and out of canon.

Marvel on the other hand has one single timeline/universe in which every story and every character exist in canon going back to 1961. (Secret Wars 2015 made things somewhat more flexible, but its still more or less true.)

With THAT much backstory to deal with no matter the scenario, someone has already thought of it, and power escalation being what it is there are countless characters wandering around that can't be defeated by anything other than a plot device.
I hear you, I guess I'm just struggling to see how that's substantively different than a protagonist who, by virtue of narrative necessity, wont lose no matter what threat they face because they'll always find a new technique/power level/fusion/etc.

It certainly doesnt have the absurd baggage of decades of continuity penned by dozens of different writers, but I know that I personally have bailed on various shonen manga series when i realized that there will always be a plot-armor power creep just around the corner to bail out the hero.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Is this a joke thread? This is like Goku vs Superman.. Superman would always win.. just like Superboy Prime here.
Super Goku handily clears most versions of Superman. Dragon Ball Super characters are absurdly powerful thanks to Goku and Beerus' fight at the start of the series threatening to destroy the universe.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I hear you, I guess I'm just struggling to see how that's substantively different than a protagonist who, by virtue of narrative necessity, wont lose no matter what threat they face because they'll always find a new technique/power level/fusion/etc.

Because someone has already come up with the same concept several times over in Marvel Continuity no matter how absurd it is, and because of that there are dozens of characters that would absolutely trivialize the character's ability to find a new technique/power level/fusion/etc. It's literally old news before it happens.

Scarlet Witch is again a perfect example of that- this character has the ability to alter the probability of any event, no matter when it occurred. She can quite literally undo the circumstances of Brolly's birth while sitting at home on the couch. Techniques and power levels are entirely useless when discussing such people, and they exist partly to act as a check on the type of power creep you're talking about.

edit: Eva Bell did basically this to Matthew Malloy in Uncanny Xmen, who at the time was the most powerful mutant ever recorded. Rather than facing him head on, she traveled back in time, prevented his parents from meeting, and erased him from existence to solve the problem. Bell isn't even an Omega Mutant, she's just a skilled time manipulator.

At high enough levels, even the power to blow up a universe isn't really that big of a deal since there's millions of entities wandering around that could do the same thing, but choose not to.

Last edited:

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
Super Goku handily clears most versions of Superman. Dragon Ball Super characters are absurdly powerful thanks to Goku and Beerus' fight at the start of the series threatening to destroy the universe.
Nope. Pretty sure it was covered in Death Battle Super Goku still gets rolled. Supermans feats are massive.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I feel like they're pretty similar in feats but DBS characters are above like 99% of DC in raw strength. So I dunno. They sit down and talk about their problems instead.

not even close. not counting the gods and cosmic beings, DC beings are far above DBS in terms of strength and speed. Why the Flash alone can do things with speed that no dragon ball character can dream of. Superman is far more durable than Goku and is far ahead in physical strength.

there is always a baseline despite universe resets. After the crisis on infinte earths Superman was nerfed but eventually he was , via power ups and training, brought back to somewhat close to his silver age power level.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
not even close. not counting the gods and cosmic beings, DC beings are far above DBS in terms of strength and speed. Why the Flash alone can do things with speed that no dragon ball character can dream of. Superman is far more durable than Goku and is far ahead in physical strength.
Which forms of Superman can threaten to destroy the universe through the mere act of punching?

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Whiny Boy Prime has all the powers of the Golden Age Superman.

He wins.

Unfortunately.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Yep. Speaking of Superboy Prime specifically around the time of infinite crisis he was moving planets around the universe at FTL speeds so fast no one could comprehend what was happening. And the aged up "Superman Prime" version that used solar powered armor was a lot stronger than this.

Dragon Ball has a good while to go before the physical strength of its characters get to levels that absurd.

Which forms of Superman can threaten to destroy the universe through the mere act of punching?

Superboy prime did this on panel (rewriting/damaging DC continuity by punching a dimensional barrier) and Kal-L, the Pre-Crisis superman of earth two was stronger than this, since he was able to shatter said barrier in a single hit, instead of just "damaging" it.

The aged up Superboy prime/Superman prime is more powerful than both.

That being said, the structure of the DC and Marvel Multiverses works a lot differently than Dragonball does. You can't realistically do any significant damage to the multiverse that way.

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
I don't even know why this is contested. I love the DB/S series but we're comparing them to Superman/Boy Prime. The scale of power is vast but limited strength vs nigh infinite strength.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Golden Age Superman could literally move planets with out harming the people on it.

Superboy Prime used this in Infinite Crisis to literally change what planet was at the center of the galaxy by altering the orbits of thousands of star system.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Golden Age Superman could literally move planets with out harming the people on it.

Superboy Prime used this in Infinite Crisis to literally change what planet was at the center of the galaxy by altering the orbits of thousands of star system.
You mean Silver Age Superman? Golden Age Superman was not as strong as Silver Age or even Post-Crisis. That's kind of the issue here, we have to agree on a specific version of Superman.

Superboy prime did this on panel (rewriting/damaging DC continuity by punching a dimensional barrier) and Kal-L, the Pre-Crisis superman of earth two was stronger than this, since he was able to shatter said barrier in a single hit, instead of just "damaging" it.

The aged up Superboy prime/Superman prime is more powerful than both.

That being said, the structure of the DC and Marvel Multiverses works a lot differently than Dragonball does. You can't realistically do any significant damage to the multiverse that way.
Right, obviously there are some Superman versions as strong or stronger than DBS characters, but not all.

But this is again the issue, we would have to pick a specific Superman, which is sorta off topic I guess.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
You mean Silver Age Superman? Golden Age Superman was not as strong as Silver Age or even Post-Crisis. That's kind of the issue here, we have to agree on a specific version of Superman.

Right, obviously there are some Superman versions as strong or stronger than DBS characters, but not all.

But this is again the issue, we would have to pick a specific Superman, which is sorta off topic I guess.
Yeah we picked one, Superboy prime

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

The "modern" superman managed to defeat Superboy Prime in single combat after both ended up flying through a red star, so at least on some level he was equivalent under duress. DC continuity being what it is though, it's extremely difficult to say what's in canon for a specific superman and if he's weaker/stronger than THAT one without following DC closely, which I don't.

For marvel it's easier. Everything's in continuity and there is only "one" 616-Thor, 616-Hulk, 616-Scarlet Witch, etc. So any of them could pull a random ass power (like Thor stealing souls, or Worldbreaker Hulk fighting at massively FTL speeds against the Sentry) out of thin air at any time. Debating against them with characters as limited as DB's is pointless. It's almost always going to be a loss against the higher tiers.

For instance, occasionally someone will ask how Goku would do against Galactus- Galactus has his losses, but canonically can simply choose to straight up *eat a universe* if he was so inclined and there's not much one can do to prevent it.

The ceiling for these things is just too ridiculous.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
The "modern" superman managed to defeat Superboy Prime in single combat after both ended up flying through a red star, so at least on some level he was equivalent under duress. DC continuity being what it is though, it's extremely difficult to say what's in canon for a specific superman and if he's weaker/stronger than THAT one without following DC closely, which I don't.

For marvel it's easier. Everything's in continuity and there is only "one" 616-Thor, 616-Hulk, 616-Scarlet Witch, etc. So any of them could pull a random ass power (like Thor stealing souls, or Worldbreaker Hulk fighting at massively FTL speeds against the Sentry) out of thin air at any time. Debating against them with characters as limited as DB's is pointless. It's almost always going to be a loss against the higher tiers.

For instance, occasionally someone will ask how Goku would do against Galactus- Galactus has his losses, but canonically can simply choose to straight up *eat a universe* if he was so inclined and there's not much one can do to prevent it.

Tell them about Wundarr

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Goku would lose against Darkseid, Galactus, etc. because he is limited by only being able to put out raw power and doesn't have the insane hax they have. There's only a few DB characters with universe-bending hax like Buu, but Z-era Buu (and pre-Super DB characters in general) is too weak for the high tier DC/Marvel characters anyway. But in my experience for Versus matches most people use Post-Crisis Superman, so that's my frame of reference.

Yeah we picked one, Superboy prime
I'm on a different tangent!