• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just went down to 7-Eleven next to my apartment complex.
Seems fine so far and they've also stocked up on a few perishable food items already.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
It's ridiculous honestly. The over-precaution is unnecessary and will only lead to a boy who cried wolf situation when a serious typhoon hits.

I'm also in Osaka and it's only drizzling rain here. I'm at the barber shop waiting to get my haircut.
I guess it's hard to blame them this time, since the typhoon las year was quite something.
But yeah, here in Osaka at least it's quite alright. I guess parts of Kobe might get the landslides and also the Kanto area is getting hit worse... but at least for Osaka, yep, even flood alerts feel a bit ridiculous. And it seems like it won't get much worse for us here...?

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
It's the biggest it's been for a long tine and people still saying It's an overreaction lol.
Already bad flooding in parts of Shizuoka and someone's already died in Chiba cause of the wind.

But yeah overreacting

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's ridiculous honestly. The over-precaution is unnecessary and will only lead to a boy who cried wolf situation when a serious typhoon hits.

I'm also in Osaka and it's only drizzling rain here. I'm at the barber shop waiting to get my haircut.

That's a very unlikely scenario. The Japanese public rarely have that much of a knee jerk reaction and places like Chiba and Shizuoka are probably going to get quite a bit of damage as it stands.

Over-precaution is one of the reasons why Japan weathers disasters without incurring a huge loss of life on most occasions, despite being in one of the most disaster prone areas in the world.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Alert level 3 here in Osaka now (basically stay at home, and evacuate older people). Though it's otherwise generally fine (I'm on the train now), it seems like Shizuoka and all that area is, indeed, getting hit big time.

Everyone in Japan stay safe 🖖

Any chance they could close the loop line/metros early? I wanna go hang out in the malls/tunnels around Osaka station/Umeda, or maybe go to one of the covered arcades to not completely lose the day, but I don't want to get stranded tonight.

morierr

Oct 27, 2017
Help: I am on holiday here in japan, currently staying in Akasaka in Tokyo. I am really unprepared for the typhoon. I don't have much food :/ Will shops be back open tomorrow?

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
Help: I am on holiday here in japan, currently staying in Akasaka in Tokyo. I am really unprepared for the typhoon. I don't have much food :/ Will shops be back open tomorrow?

Just moved back to Japan and am currently staying in Akasaka. Shops will be open tomorrow and a few places were open today.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Data from Japan's land ministry shows that as of noon on Saturday, some rivers had exceeded the flood level.

They are: in Gunma Prefecture, eastern Japan, the Kabura River in Shimonita Town and Tomioka City, and the Inogawa River in Takasaki City; in Shizuoka Prefecture, central Japan, the Okitsu River in Shizuoka City, the Shuzenji River in Izu City, and the Ushibuchi River in Kikugawa City; in Mie Prefecture, central Japan, the Kamogawa River in Toba City and the Isuzu River in Ise City; and in Kanagawa Prefecture, south of Tokyo, the Hayakawa River in Hakone Town.

Isuzu River in Ise:

CHUNKYBOWSER

Nov 13, 2017
Osaka, Japan
That's a very unlikely scenario. The Japanese public rarely have that much of a knee jerk reaction and places like Chiba and Shizuoka are probably going to get quite a bit of damage as it stands.

Over-precaution is one of the reasons why Japan weathers disasters without incurring a huge loss of life on most occasions, despite being in one of the most disaster prone areas in the world.
I agree that in the current situation the warnings for Tokyo are legitimate.

My post was more about Osaka, where there's virtually no dangerous weather at the moment and events are being canceled left and right. Some events tomorrow are canceled as well even though the forecast shows no rain and the typhoon will be long gone by then.

I guess I'm just venting some frustration about the unnecessary inconvenience when it's so clear that Osaka was never going to be in much danger.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Received an evacuation alert because of flood. Most of the Koto area that's near Edogawa has to evacuate or go to the third floor of a building.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
Been at the airport for over 10 hours, my flight through Japan as a connecting flight keeps getting delayed into Oblivion.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I'll be going there next week, I wonder what kind of picture I'm about to see. I'm hoping for the best for you all, I have a friend currently there and she is absolutely terrified.

Illuvatar

Jan 22, 2019
Ichikawa, Chiba here. Our city has evacuation orders for some parts of the city but just a few. I really hope we can stay since we also have two cats (one of whom is very sick) that are not allowed in the evacuation center.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Authorities have now ordered more than 600,000 people in 10 prefectures in eastern, central, and northeastern Japan to evacuate their homes immediately as Typhoon Hagibis lashes Japan.

As of 5 p.m. Saturday, the directives apply to about 619,000 residents in Fukushima, Gunma, Saitama, Chiba, Tokyo, Kanagawa, Yamanashi, Nagano, Shizuoka, and Mie prefectures.

An evacuation order means authorities consider the likelihood of a disaster to be imminent, and are urging people to immediately move to safety.

Evacuation advisories are in place for about 7.97 million people.

Edit: Updated numbers.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Nov 11, 2017
I'm stuck in Shizuoka. Flight home cancelled and rail pass now expired.

Apparently this is right near the eye. I'm locked in my hotel but no windows or anything to see. All I hear is very heavy rain. It's been like that since last night, so I can imagine there will be plenty of flooding and landslides.