• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Thanks for the advice. I saw on the metro website that 'about 0pm the expected time of resumption of services may be changed depending on the situation.' What does 0pm mean?

Opm is midnight, well thats what it usually means.

Japan can be very weird with how they write hours of the day sometimes.

I still remember the first time I saw 25:00 on some TV schedule.
Almost gave me a goddamn aneurysm.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
This has caused some cancellation to the rugby World Cup, but given the size and intensity of this thing it is perfectly understandable why it's happened. Stay safe over there.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Over here for 2 weeks... started watching this shit like a hawk. In Kyoto and ready to get hit a little bit.
Fucking up the trip SLIGHTLY, but that's alright. Stay safe everyone. If anyone wants to go out and get a typhoon beer in Kyoto let me know!

AwareSnake

Oct 27, 2017
First time I've felt like I need to stock up on water and food, this is going to be a crazy storm.

Over here for 2 weeks... started watching this shit like a hawk. In Kyoto and ready to get hit a little bit.
Fucking up the trip SLIGHTLY, but that's alright. Stay safe everyone. If anyone wants to go out and get a typhoon beer in Kyoto let me know!

Kyoto's gonna be fine, just some rain.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
From NHK:
joOqbXD.jpg

DiPiYcs.jpg

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Hope everyone gets through this ok. I was in Tokyo in May and going to Osaka next year, as well as seriously considering applying for an eikaiwa job end of next year/early 2021, so it feels a bit more real to me than if it were somewhere else.

How do hurricanes work in densely packed cities like Tokyo? I'm guessing the tightly packed narrow streets and alleyways might concentrate the wind power to make it even more intense at street level (but I can also imagine it might have the opposite effect..?). Hope no one is hurt and damage is minimal. A beautiful place.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Well shit.
I remember the huge one that plowed Kansai last year. Thankfully some friends of mine were late for it.
I also avoided the next one that arrived in late September, but my friends had to wait a day in Osaka.

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Damn thats gigantic, how well do Japan face this things?

It depends on a lot of factors but Japan does great in most cases.
Rural areas can get dangerous during heavy rainfall because of landslides and such.
Areas in Kyushu got wrecked last year after some heavy storms that resulted in mudslides/landslides and flooding.

Most buildings and houses are equipped pretty well for heavy storms and such though, especially in the big cities.

There was some heavy damage to roofs and such during the last super typhoon, but that was extent of it I believe.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's completely fucking up the Rugby World Cup. It's looking like Scotland are going to be eliminated because their last game may be cancelled...which is against Japan - who go through if it is cancelled (not that there is any suggestion of wrong doing).

Scotland now taking legal action.

Deleted member 36557

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2017
The rain is starting to pick up a little bit in Tokyo. Going to run to the convenience store real quick to get some snacks.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
I was supposed to go to my first Rugby practice, but it got cancelled.

Weirdly enough, my school only started telling us about this typhoon just yesterday. But I'm prepared for this typhoon. Bought plenty of food and water.

Midee

Oct 27, 2017
CA, USA
Goddamn, I was just in Osaka until about a week ago, and now they're about to get hit with 100mph winds and high surf. Stay safe out there!

MistaTwo

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
It's completely fucking up the Rugby World Cup. It's looking like Scotland are going to be eliminated because their last game may be cancelled...which is against Japan - who go through if it is cancelled (not that there is any suggestion of wrong doing).

Scotland now taking legal action.

Just for the record Japan will go through because they've won all their matches so far and Scotland haven't.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I'm going to visit Japan next weekend. I hope the damage isn't too great.

That's at least one good thing about this: Japan has this kind of shit happening all the time. They are as prepared as they can be.
Lol, you'd fuckin think wouldn't you?
we get like 20 typhoons a year and yet at the slightest hint of rain the trains shut down and everyone freaks the hell out. it's rarely an issue

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Lol, you'd fuckin think wouldn't you?
we get like 20 typhoons a year and yet at the slightest hint of rain the trains shut down and everyone freaks the hell out. it's rarely an issue

??? Trains regularly shut down in typhoons cos of the wind. Theres no issue cos they play it safe. If they ran trains during a typhoon, there would be plenty of fucking issues

amoy

Oct 28, 2017
Suruga Bay here, light rain and no strong wind yet. Tomorrow forecast, said up to 33mm of rain and winds of up to 15m/s during the afternoon.

Saw the news a little earlier and the wind map is super weird, some places are getting just a breeze while surround areas are getting screwed with much stronger winds.

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
My local supermarket is empty, had to go to like 6 different stores to get my food and drink for the weekend.

also got some alcohol for funsies.

I just hope that the internet and electricity stays with me.

arakawa here btw

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Local supermarket empty and couldn't find water and bread. Managed to get some stuff at a Lawson near my house.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Stay safe guys. It's like the perfect excuse for a guilt free week end of gaming!

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances of the convenient stores stocking up over night?
I got the essentials, but I want to grab a few more snacks and water before the typhoon hits for real.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Just order dominos and uber eats and set up a camera outside your house and then profit from the twitter clicks

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
I'm in my hotel room in Osaka and it's weird how none of the 10 or so channels on my TV is talking about this. Compare that with the usual hysteria of american news every time a storm is about to hit the US.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Damn, hope everyone's safe !
I have a flight for Tokyo in two weeks, do you think there still be problems? I don't know how typhoon works, if it's a 2h apocalypse or a 1 month endurance battle.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017

I'm so glad I went this morning when there wasn't a lot of people but stuff like tape for the windows were sold out already.

Damn, hope everyone's safe !
I have a flight for Tokyo in two weeks, do you think there still be problems? I don't know how typhoon works, if it's a 2h apocalypse or a 1 month endurance battle.
As far as I know, Japan tends to recover very fast since the country is ready for typhoons so if nothing bad happens, everything will be normal next week.