• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017

Typhoon Hagibis, which the U.S. military's forecasting agency has put on par with a Category 5 hurricane, is approaching Japan's main island of Honshu after a rapid intensification in the Pacific and could make a direct pass over the Kanto region this weekend.

The storm, which tracked near the Ogasawara islands through Wednesday, is forecast to continue moving toward Honshu, weakening only slightly before a possible landfall on Saturday night or early Sunday morning.

More precise forecasts for its path are still difficult, and a turn to the west toward central Japan or the east toward the sea remain among the possibilities.

However, its large size means that areas not facing a direct hit could still be significantly impacted. Speaking during a news conference Wednesday, a Meteorological Agency official urged caution against heavy rain, strong winds, high waves and storm surge.

EGhURFsU0Ac22Qa

Apparently it's weakening a bit at the moment and maybe more before the weekend. Not 2018 Mangkhut crazy hopefully.

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan
I really hope it's not too bad and I can just chill and play some games.

Seeing what happened to Chiba really makes me want to be prepared, though.

Oct 27, 2017
Worried about my brother in law who's currently visiting the country. Hopefully the storm will die soon before hitting the island

Illuvatar

Jan 22, 2019
Damn, I had to leave my wife with our sick cat to go on a business trip for a few days. Where I am it's supposed to be okay but we live in Chiba..(where we live, the last typhoon did minimal damage though, so let's hope it is the same this time around).

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see what they do about the GP. Suzuka is right in the middle there.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Hoping Scotland - Japan isn't called off, hard to tell what's going on atm. All of Saturday's tests apart from the one in Fukuoka were, already.

Stay in your hotel bar away from the windows on Saturday, folks!

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Stay safe everyone.

Scotland has found a brand new gloriously fail at sports because of it as well as it will put them out of the Rugby world cup.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Yeah, there's a massive Doujinshi event on Sunday in Osaka that I think will be cancelled. All the shinkansen to Osaka has been called off, so I don't know what the hell's gonna happen. I just left Japan on Monday too, good time to leave!

Deleted member 36557

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Just got home to Tokyo from Osaka. The station was full of foreigners who were angry that their trains were cancelled. Not too sure what they were expecting to happen.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Been through one of these before; they suck, but as long as you stay indoors and have any outside-facing windows protected you'll be fine. The biggest problems come from people trying to brave the storm for trivial things.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
My office is closed for tomorrow so it means I have a three day weekend and I'll happily stay indoors the whole time.

Luckily we have storm shutters. I'll bring my potted plants indoors and then chill.

Went to the supermarket earlier and it looks like everyone's stocking up on essentials.

KUON

Oct 30, 2017
Midgar
Also all flights from Tokyo (Narita and Haneda) are cancelled. Mom and sis are stuck in Japan.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
So I've never lived in a place that gets hit by them, but from a distance, oceanborne storm systems are fucking terrifying. I hope everything blows over as well as it can for Japan with this one. D:

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I'm in Tokyo right now...should I be worried?

Just stock up on food and water. Train lines will probably be closed down tomorrow but not sure what time. Supposedly the eye of the storm will be over Tokyo at 10pm Saturday. I posted the flood map earlier, look at that since there could be 750mm of rain coming down and you do not want to be one the 1st floor of a possible flood zone. Also have a flashlight just on case.

Oct 27, 2017
Gaia
My flight is scheduled to arrive in Narita at 7.30 tomorrow morning. We are flying from the north. I hope our flight doesn't get cancelled and that people stay safe out there.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
My place has inundation risk. I bought food and put tape on my windows. Really scared right now because this is the first time on this situation and news says that the typhoon is getting stronger.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, not looking forward to this this weekend. I'm going to stay indoors and play Monster Hunter. I should probably also stock up on food tonight.

Lakershead22

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Just stock up on food and water. Train lines will probably be closed down tomorrow but not sure what time. Supposedly the eye of the storm will be over Tokyo at 10pm Saturday. I posted the flood map earlier, look at that since there could be 750mm of rain coming down and you do not want to be one the 1st floor of a possible flood zone. Also have a flashlight just on case.
Thanks for the advice. I saw on the metro website that 'about 0pm the expected time of resumption of services may be changed depending on the situation.' What does 0pm mean?