• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jeez, crazy to see the roads and bridges just swept away but with the torrential downpours and raging rivers I've seen on Twitter videos, it's unsurprising. Terrible to hear about the loss of life, I hope there's no additional fatalities and that things can be restored to normal quickly.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
RIP to those who have lost their life to this and I hope everything goes back to normal soon

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Jeez, crazy to see the roads and bridges just swept away but with the torrential downpours and raging rivers I've seen on Twitter videos, it's unsurprising. Terrible to hear about the loss of life, I hope there's no additional fatalities and that things can be restored to normal quickly.

Repair it just in time for next year. This is insane. Wasn't there an earthquake and volcano too?

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Repair it just in time for next year. This is insane. Wasn't there an earthquake and volcano too?

The earthquake wasn't so bad it seems, 3-4 mag. But yes, Japan is geographically destined to be a glutton for Earth's punishment. Luckily the country appears to be well trained in quick repairs and improvements for the future at least.

Deleted member 36557

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 20, 2017

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

The volcano stuff was small Mt Aso and Mt. Sakurajima stuff. Sakurajima has had warning level 3 since 2016 and have dozens of small eruptions a month, and Aso has had a warning level 2 since April this year and has had lots of smaller eruptions since then.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The volcano stuff was small Mt Aso and Mt. Sakurajima stuff. Sakurajima has had warning level 3 since 2016 and have dozens of small eruptions a month, and Aso has had a warning level 2 since April this year and has had lots of smaller eruptions since then.

I went to Aso last year, it's a nice place. Couldn't go to the top of the volcano though because it was raining, which apparently causes sulphur vapor to saturate the top of the volcano and it's hard to see or breath.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

People in Japan are dealing with the aftermath of Typhoon Hagibis. The death toll stands at 42 as cleanup efforts are underway in many areas.

In addition to the fatalities, 15 people are listed as missing. Another 198 were injured during the weekend storm.

Meteorological officials say up to 40 percent of the yearly rainfall was recorded in only a day or two in many areas.

Japan's Land and Transport Ministry reports levees along 21 rivers collapsed. Among them, the Chikuma River in Nagano Prefecture, northwest of Tokyo. Roads are completely submerged with muddy water.

Relief efforts are ongoing as the full extent of the damage gets assessed. More rain is expected to fall on Monday afternoon in affected areas. Authorities are urging people to remain cautious near swollen rivers and be on the alert for possible landslides.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Super worried about my family right now, they live in the middle of Tokyo. They said everything is fine but I don't want them getting hit by debris etc.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

Emergency crews are still trying to locate people who went missing after Typhoon Hagibis devastated Japan over the weekend.

Authorities say the death toll now stands at 66.

Japan's Self-Defense Forces were deployed to Nagano prefecture on Tuesday to help with search and rescue operations.

The typhoon brought powerful winds and heavy rain... causing about 200 rivers to overflow. Levees burst on about 50 of them, causing flooding across widespread areas. NHK has learned over 10,000 houses were damaged.

Meanwhile, nearly 35,000 households are still without electricity. Another 130 thousand homes have no running water as of Tuesday morning and it's unclear when utilities will be fully restored.

AdamE

3D Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I arrived back in shinjuku yesterday and everything appears to be operating fine in the area. The only casualty in my apartment was the sticker on my washing machine being worn off..
But Chiba looked flooded. Seems Central Tokyo is pretty solid as long as you don't live near a river.

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe just my assumption, but wouldn't Tokyo have the most effective systems for dealing with natural disasters? It would seem weird if the entire city is just one unlucky tsunami or earthquake away from being destroyed.

Juice

Dec 28, 2017
Maybe just my assumption, but wouldn't Tokyo have the most effective systems for dealing with natural disasters? It would seem weird if the entire city is just one unlucky tsunami or earthquake away from being destroyed.

60ish deaths following the strongest typhoon in the modern history of the city and it was almost totally fine by noon the next day. Disney was slammed and it's right on the bay in Chiba

Tokyo's ability to absorb this much wind, water, and earthquake and then immediately bounce back is unparalleled

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Heh...

The Japanese prime minister has said typhoon shelters "should be open to everyone" - after two homeless people were turned away during the country's worst storm in decades.

when two homeless men tried to use a shelter in Tokyo, they were turned away as they did not have addresses.

The case has caused huge debate in Japan - with not everyone sympathetic.

As Hagibis took hold on Saturday morning, a 64-year-old homeless man went to a primary school, which was being used as an evacuation centre.

The school was in the Taito ward of Tokyo, which includes San'ya - an area historically home to many labourers, and now homeless people.

According to officials who spoke to the Asahi Shimbun, the man was asked to write his name and address. When he said he had no address, he was turned away.

"I told them that I have an address in Hokkaido [Japan's northern island, hundreds of miles from Tokyo], but they still denied me entry," he said.

The man said he instead spent the night under an umbrella beneath the eaves of a building.

"I wanted them to allow me into the facility because the wind was strong and it was raining," he said.

Another homeless man was turned away later that afternoon.

As news spread on social media, there was outrage at the shelter's decision.

"Is this a country that's going to host the Olympics in Tokyo? [in 2020]" asked one Twitter user. "People from abroad would see this and think this is a terrible country."

The San'ya Workers' Welfare Centre, a charity, responding by opening as a shelter on Saturday night.

But others were less sympathetic, suggesting "smelly" or "mentally ill" homeless people should only be allowed into shelters if there was a separate space.

"If you claim your rights, do your duties first," said one Twitter user. "Can you sleep next to a stinking person?" asked another.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I agree that in the current situation the warnings for Tokyo are legitimate.

My post was more about Osaka, where there's virtually no dangerous weather at the moment and events are being canceled left and right. Some events tomorrow are canceled as well even though the forecast shows no rain and the typhoon will be long gone by then.

I guess I'm just venting some frustration about the unnecessary inconvenience when it's so clear that Osaka was never going to be in much danger.

I can understand the frustration, but with a storm this size you really never know what could happen.
We have gotten pretty damn good at predicting the paths of these storms, but it's still not really an exact science.
It's always better to err on the side of caution.

And it's not like Osaka completely canceled everything, and a lot of the events would have probably been canceled because of the rain anyway!