• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
With EVO having come and gone, it's now time for the biggest Smash Bros event of the year, Super Smash Con, and all the fun that comes with it. Here's a brief video running down about whose gonna compete this weekend.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf5rNAfWrXY

Looking to be a hell of a fun tournament this year.

The schedule has been posted up:
Stream-Schedule-Friday-V1-1024x576.png

Stream-Schedule-Saturday-V4.png

Stream-Schedule-Sunday-V1-1024x576.png

And for those who missed it, the combo contest this year was absolutely great.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0h57r2FxJ0&t=30s

You can find streams at:
https://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp
https://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp2

If there's anything more you wanna know, just ask, because I really am not great at these OT threads, just trying to inform.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God that final combo was so good, I think that's the first time I've ever seen one involving the player killing themselves and respawning

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Can't wait for MKLeo and Zain or IBDW to win Ultimate and Melee respectively
Not sarcasm, actual hype

OP
OP
BossDumDrum

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
Can't wait for MKLeo and Zain or IBDW to win Ultimate and Melee respectively
Not sarcasm, actual hype

MKleo is probably the most beloved Smash champion to exist, and the first one since Mango to actually get people to cheer when he wins.

I never thought I'd see the day people would be hype for the return of Joker.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
MKleo is probably the most beloved Smash champion to exist, and the first one since Mango to actually get people to cheer when he wins.

I never thought I'd see the day people would be hype for the return of Joker.
MKLeo is great, but I want to see someone dethrone him this weekend. I haven't followed all the big names that will attend, but I hope there will be some from Japan as well. The community there is pretty diverse.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
We got the closest thing to an EVO event this weekend. Then again, Ultimate's tourname t is bugger than any of the EVO ones.

OP
OP
BossDumDrum

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
MKLeo is great, but I want to see someone dethrone him this weekend. I haven't followed all the big names that will attend, but I hope there will be some from Japan as well. The community there is pretty diverse.

I mean, it wasn't so long ago that Protobanham gave him a smack with MinMin. But with the event as stacked as is, it'll depend if Proto can even make it to MKleo.

I would really like seeing Acola win, but I know that'd just make a lot of people mad.

OP
OP
BossDumDrum

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????!!!!
and acola as well what the hell is going on

Fake Edit: ah ok, because i HAD to look into that shit

View: https://twitter.com/iBDWSSBM/status/1557857309451239424

Pros have to watch out for their hands, so it's a shame, but better for him to sit this out.

I'm guessing the thing is going to Zain then, unless someone shows out of nowhere.

OP
OP
BossDumDrum

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
Acola said on Twitter that he wouldn't be able to go. I don't remember why, but I think because of covid? I need to find his tweet.

I believe it was because there was a small outbreak in Japan a while back. And remember Acola is still just a high schooler, so his parents are probably concerned about him traveling to such a big overseas tournament.

OP
OP
BossDumDrum

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
Well, with that, Day 1 is wrapped up. In terms of upsets, there aren't many, but a few minor ones I grabbed off reddit.

Winners' Pools Phase 1:

VEG | Gadget (Seed 390) 2-0 NVR | Synergy (Seed 123) (Mega Man? vs. Robin) Upset Factor: 4

sammm (Seed 396) 2-0 Ho3K | John Numbers (Seed 117) (Inkling vs. Wii Fit Trainer) Upset Factor: 4

CM | The_Hunter (Seed 362) 2-0 AoS (Seed 151) (Banjo vs. ZSS) Upset Factor: 2

Diamond (Seed 346) 2-1 BHOP | Burst (Seed 167) (Pythra/ICs vs. Sephiroth) Upset Factor: 2

Abyss (Seed 347) 2-0 IE | GRNT | Mr. L. (Seed 166) (Pythra vs. Sheik) Upset Factor: 2

Crash101 (Seed 357) 2-1 Dexter (Seed 156) (Terry vs. Wolf) Upset Factor: 2

The one who surprised me most is Dexter, the way you see that guy constantly gets to grand finals at the Xanadu locals, you'd at least expect him to go higher than this.

DQs:
あcola (Seed 2)
Panda | ESAM (Seed 18)
MVD (Seed 23)
Leon (Seed 56)
Oplon | Oryon (Seed 63)
Chase (Seed 72)
R1| Hakii (Seed 150)
IZI | Enki (Seed 158)
Dusty_Carpet (Seed 160)
Sandstorm (Seed 161)

Mango almost got DQed as well, but he actually showed up on time to his Pools and got that reversed.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
I believe it was because there was a small outbreak in Japan a while back. And remember Acola is still just a high schooler, so his parents are probably concerned about him traveling to such a big overseas tournament.
That might be it then. Sad he isn't there, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Brawl just ended with one of the most tense grand finals sets you'll ever see from this game. Just great stuff all around.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I accidentally ran into the traffic for this when I was going to my local Walmart. I saw a bunch of younger guys standing in line and a few people dressed as Pikachus and thought I had missed the Comic Con that comes around here. Looked like the parking lot was pretty full.

OP
OP
BossDumDrum

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
Brawl just ended with one of the most tense grand finals sets you'll ever see from this game. Just great stuff all around.

For those who couldn't see it, here's some clips from VGBC.

View: https://twitter.com/VGBootCamp/status/1558511535756087301?t=vpQchSQJb7B9X_vhiVo56A&s=19

View: https://twitter.com/VGBootCamp/status/1558514756130115585?t=P7gcf_7rmGfVhS6cBmlflQ&s=19

View: https://twitter.com/VGBootCamp/status/1558516991262089226?t=a9WPPXdfd52NkL3SU1sF2w&s=19

It's wonderful to appreciate Brawl again for what it is now that it isn't the spotlight game. It had problems, but take it for what it is and it can be a grand time.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
THANK GOD
the Lucas meta begins now, no more ness memes
tired of steves always going "oh im 1 cm above you, anvil time :^)"

OP
OP
BossDumDrum

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
Here's what tomorrow is looking like:

Melee Top 8
Winners
Krudo
(Sheik) vs. lloD (Peach)
Liquid | Hungrybox (Jigglypuff) vs. C9 | Mango (Fox/Falco)

Losers
GG | Zain (Marth) [Wally] vs. Skerzo (Fox) [Wally]

Tempo | Axe (Pikachu) [Mango] vs. Rishi (Marth) [Krudo]

Ultimate Top 32

Winners
T1 l MkLeo (Pyra/Mythra, Byleth) vs Catway l Onin (Steve)

IluZ l Skyjay (Incineroar) vs Liquid` Riddles (Terry, Kazuya)

Liquid` Dabuz (Rosalina & Luma, Olimar) vs Puppeh (Pokémon Trainer)

Solary l Glutonny (Wario) vs bc l Cosmos (Pyra/Mythra)

FG l Apple (Steve, Ice Climbers) vs MonarchyX l DDog Quandale Dinglelingleton (Steve)

Maister (Mr. Game & Watch) vs TSM FTX l Tweek (Pyra/Mythra)

Moist l Light (Fox) vs YMHB l Regalo (Lucas)

ApolloKage (Snake) vs SSG l Zomba (R.O.B.)

Losers

MuteAce
(Peach) vs LVD
l Ling (Peach)

Panda l WaDi (R.O.B., Mewtwo) vs CF l ChunkyKong (Donkey Kong)

BMS l Raflow (Palutena) vs Elegant (Luigi)

Ned (Sephiroth) vs Mr. E (Lucina)

Chilly l BassMage (Jigglypuff) vs FURIA l Fatality (Captain Falcon)

DA EMP l Sinji (Pac-Man) vs Moist l Kola (Roy, Snake)

GG l Tilde (Falco) vs Moist l Aaron (Diddy Kong)

USAE l Yez (Ike) vs CM l Anathema (R.O.B.)

Oct 25, 2017
Had a good time checking the place out in person.
Surprised it was so close to where I live (well... 30 minutes away at least).

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Day's just begun and MKLeo already got 3-0'd by Onin (Steve)

Smash Twitter and Reddit's gonna be so mad LOL