• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hardest Spirit Battle?

• Dr Wily

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • Pauline

Votes: 83 56.1%
  • Geno

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • The Boss

Votes: 25 16.9%
  • Akira

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • M Bison

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other (Please Comment!)

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Just wondering what Era's thoughts on this is, since there's a lot of infamous ones. I have a feeling it'll be a toss up between Dr Wily and Pauline, but there's a lot of really difficult Legend class battles so it could go any way.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The one that gave me more trouble was actually Black Shadow. Last spirit I got.

Pauline, The Boss and Hinawa were also pretty tough but I managed somehow.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Donkey Kong and Lady for me by far. I just barely beat it this month and I had the game since release.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Pauline, I got lucky with. Which is the one with that goddamned sheriff dude that keeps shooting you?

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
I remember 9-Volt and 18-Volt to be a pain in the ass. But also, people will mention Sukapon. Not my case, and not that many people know about it since it wasn't in World of Light iirc, but damn.

Last edited:

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
My most infuriating Spirit battle wasn't even legend, it was 9 Volt and 18 Volt. I must've edited my load up a half dozen times. I tried Assist Killer to get rid of The Sheriff, I tried my strongest spirits to try to murder them before things got out of hand, I tried magnetizing items hoping I'd grab the Galagas before the AI did. There's just so much stuff going on in that battle.
I remember 9-Volt and 16-Volt to be a pain in the ass. But also, people will mention Sukapon. Not my case, and not that many people know about it since it wasn't in World of Light iirc, but damn.
Sukapon gave me a hard time when I tried to engage the assist trophy but the stage is a walk off so I learned how to do Ridley's drag move to not deal with it.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think Paula (from Earthbound) is harder than the Pauline one. The latter I managed to complete, but Paula is something else.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
the pauline one...I saved that spirit for the very near last and had to look up a video lol

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I think Pauline is the hardest, but I got lucky with it. Akira on the other hand, took me a whole Friday evening IIRC

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
My most infuriating Spirit battle wasn't even legend, it was 9 Volt and 18 Volt. I must've edited my load up a half dozen times. I tried Assist Killer to get rid of The Sheriff, I tried my strongest spirits to try to murder them before things got out of hand, I tried magnetizing items hoping I'd grab the Galagas before the AI did. There's just so much stuff going on in that battle.

Sukapon gave me a hard time when I tried to engage the assist trophy but the stage is a walk off so I learned how to do Ridley's drag move to not deal with it.
Yeah, I did the same.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Pauline's rough because it has a hard time limit, isn't it only like 30-45 seconds or something like that to kill Peach

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Pauline. Dr. Wily can be trivialized by any Spirit that reflects or absorbs projectiles. Pauline is just cheating bullshit.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I imagine playing it now with Byleth would invalidate Pauline thanks to Failnaught.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
There's a retro Donkey Kong one on 75M where you have to (1) defeat a giant DK that can easily wreck your shit in a stamina match and (2) you have an ally Peach, and if she dies, you lose.

I won it only because the stage hazard DK combo'd the shit out of the enemy DK. It felt nearly impossible to win any other way.

The moral of this thread: 75M is the fucking worse. Whoever came up with it should be ashamed of themselves.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I think I had most trouble with the one that had a huge Ridley while you were tiny or something.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pauline was the one that took the longest for me. Shit was infuriating.

RossC

Oct 27, 2017
Donkey Kong and Lady.

I beat it on my 3rd or 4th try - then messed up catching it.

Took like another 20 attempts afterwards.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
In order, from the most difficult to the less difficult to me :

1- The Boss
2- 9 Volt and 18 Volt
3- Dr Willy

And I didn't had too much trouble with Dr Willy. Had no trouble with Pauline but I definitely see how it can be bullshit to some.

The Boss really was the one that took me like 10 tries.

The Phantom Thieves, while I got it only in the 2d try, was intense, but I didn't took any "heal each time you beat an ennemy" spirit with me so that one's probably on me lol

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I just use a spirit that gives me that spear item and I immediately attack Pauline to get her a wall ko.
There's a retro Donkey Kong one on 75M where you have to (1) defeat a giant DK that can easily wreck your shit in a stamina match and (2) you have an ally Peach, and if she dies, you lose.

I won it only because the stage hazard DK combo'd the shit out of the enemy DK. It felt nearly impossible to win any other way.

The moral of this thread: 75M is the fucking worse. Whoever came up with it should be ashamed of themselves.
Donkey Kong and Lady.

Hate that spirit match so much.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Pauline for sure. My strategy was one I got from a friend: equip a spirit that starts you with a Staff equipped, and just jump and keep shooting her with it until she dies. This still may take a bunch of tries but it's less than trying to do it the conventional way.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Only really remember having trouble with The Boss, Wily, and the classic DK & Lady, I went back to those way later

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I had to look up the Pauline spirit battle to remember what it was. I don't remember it being hard aside from the strict time limit.

The Boss' spirit battle, however, can go to hell.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Donkey Kong (Arcade) was probably the hardest, especially since it's only in the spirit board, so if you lose it might just disappear.

Deleted member 4292

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pauline or The Boss.

I want to give the edge to Pauline but I only tried her 5 times than I beat her.

The Boss was a huge piss off. I tried countless times till I took her down.

Donkey Kong (Arcade) was probably the hardest, especially since it's only in the spirit board, so if you lose it might just disappear.
It's not. It's in adventure.

Edit. I may have misunderstood.

Last edited:

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Pauline's is near impossible, but the AI is so bad and glitchy that if you keep trying, she will eventually kill herself if you keep trying

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Peachette I still haven't gotten

At least I can cheese lots of spirits with Metal Face + Transformation Duration

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
The Boss for sure. Pauline you can try to cheese with a staff and getting lucky; The Boss is far more straightforward and that poison makes cheese setups more of a challenge.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's not Pauline. Just use a support spirit that equips the Staff and snipe Peach at the start of the match.

The hardest spirit is Donkey Kong & Lady, full stop. 75m is the worst stage in existence, and you don't know how DK's or Peach's AI will react.