• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pronoun usage for Piranha Plant?

• He/Him

Votes: 28 4.6%
  • She/Her

Votes: 46 7.5%
  • It/They

Votes: 380 62.1%
  • He and She/Him and Her

Votes: 33 5.4%
  • Neither of the above

Votes: 124 20.3%

• Total voters

Col.Asher

Nov 10, 2017
Not all plants are bisexual or monoecious. Some can have Male and female organs on different individual plants or dioecious.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Piranha Plant is the herald of a post-gender society and a true inspiration for us all.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
If you say "Alberto es una persona" you're not saying that Alberto is female.

Alberto is a proper name tho, not a generic noun, it's how when you see an squirrel (Ardilla) and refer to it by the generic name of Squirrel, in spanish you go call it "la Ardilla" in feminine even if you know it's a male squirrel (ie, you don't say "El ardilla" if you want to say it properly), for example, even tho "alvin and the chimpmunks" we knew they were all boys and not squirrels, the localization made it "Alvin y las ardillas" in feminine.

Therefore, Piranha plant is "La Planta Piraña" and therefore referred to as a She.

WarAdept

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm going to go with female.

Because we need more female representation in the game.

Lucina and the female versions of Robin and Corrin don't exist in my reality.

Actually all of Fire Emblem sans Marth and Roy.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that she's a lady but I defer to whatever she identifies as

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
It's based on the Venus Flytrap and Venus was a goddess so...

This thread has given me a lot to think about

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The first reply sums it up: it's a plant.

But it does officially use it/they, so there.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
I mean, Petey identifies as a male Piranha Plant, so they clearly have concepts of sex and gender.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Should be noted that in the Japanese AD for Mario Maker, Piranha Plant clearly received a female voice actor

So it is either it/they or she

Jan 2, 2018
It's important to keep in mind a lot of languages don't have true gender neutral language/pronouns, so that's why you can expect some people gendering Piranha Plant in an international forum.

"Plant" is a female noun in Portuguese, for example.

I don't think that changes anything.

In Germany "plant" (Pflanze) has a female pronoun (die Pflanze), but "girl" for example has a neutral pronoun (das Mädchen). Of course the word is "female" (gramatically) in this case, but not the plant in a biological sense. English is of course more logical (simpler) in this regard. Germany is a bit strange sometimes.
I wouldn't refer to a plant with "she/her" and I'm not a native English speaker, it would be weird.

I hope that my post makes some sense, I'm tired and need sleep.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

That seems like a French localization thing
Should be noted that in the Japanese AD for Mario Maker, Piranha Plant clearly received a female voice actor

So it is either it/they or she

Its referred to as male in the smash Trophy which is a bit more important than a voice actor who are always voicing different genders for cartoons.
its a fucking plant

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
An interesting question. Piranha Plant itself, I'm pretty sure, never gets gendered in the original Japanese, but Petey Piranha does, multiple times, as female.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
I feel any pronoun works in this case. It's not like the Piranha Plant has much dialogue to gather a gender identity off of. Piranha Plant is an angry, hungry, smiling, carnivorous plant with goofy animations. That's all Piranha Plant needs for an identity.

Prunus

Sep 6, 2018
I agree with the people saying it doesn't matter, it's a plant.... however... not only is the word plant "female" in German, but Nintendo specifically uses the word "Kämpferin" for Piranha Plant, which means female fighter.