• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I disagree on the animations part. While they did change a good chunk of them, a lot of the animations look ripped from Smash Wii U (or Brawl in the case of characters like Snake). That's not knocking on Ultimate at all, but to say that all of the animations are different is false (though I think only Street Fighter starts from scratch for numbered sequels these days, 2D-to-3D transitions aside). Even for sound, a lot of voice clips are reused from previous games (Ex: Snake from Brawl, Lucina from Wii U/3DS, etc.).

In short, while the "Smash Ultimate is an enhanced port" narrative is false, so is the "Everything in Smash Ultimate was redone from scratch" narrative.
It should be common knowledge by now that every Smash game uses the previous game as its basis, really.
How long does WoL take to unlock all the characters?
The mode overall takes like 40 hours, apparently. I dunno how long it would specifically take to unlock all characters, but you may be better off playing WoL in short bursts while trying out other modes to continuously unlock characters.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Watched EurogamerSpain video review. The "Smash expert" says that Luigi is a Mario echo "with some different moves".

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not if people that have owned or played smash 4, play this and see alot of the changes are in extra added modes, more characters. Mechanically the new blocking system is the only really new mechanic that's been added according to reviews. Ben from Giant Bomb is a pretty hardcore Nintendo guy, and he owns smash 4.

From what I've read the other added modes are take it or leave it, mainly filler. And the fact that they could not test online during their reviews is a little alarming in how it will play with 4 players connected over wifi or USB/Ethernet adapter.
If changing speed, lag, and damage values don't count as mechanical changes than I'm pretty sure there's still more changed mechanically going from 4 to Ultimate than from Brawl to 4, the only real mechanics change I can think of off the top of my head between those being tripping being removed, again, this is assuming speed, lag, and damage changes don't count which I think is ridiculous. And honestly the way aerials have been buffed by an insane degree due to how much safer they are now is a waaaay bigger change than the new perfect shield.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
The Kotaku review was great, and this line stood out to me, in reference to why the writer didn't like World of Light:

"I don't play Super Smash Bros. to collect things or make numbers go up."

Well, I guess I'm going to love WoL.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Didn't see this posted: my feature-length review at Ars Technica. https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...he-best-fighting-game-on-any-nintendo-system/

Spirits isn't executed perfectly, and the single-player mode leaves a noticeable crater in the rest of the package—at least, if you come to Smash Ultimate expecting certain elements from earlier in the series to return. (After nearly 20 years of Smash games, that's likely.) But there's a reason Smash Ultimate can get away with its bonkers, thousand-fight conceit, especially during that mode's pacing fumbles.
The basic fact is, we could spend this entire review just talking about how refined, measured, and satisfying it is to pick up controllers and get into a four-player beatdown with friends. Smash Ultimate's basic foundation is good. Top-of-the-year good. Why-we-love-video-games good. And, thank goodness, the game's obsession with being capital-B Big doesn't get in the way of that fact.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
It's not if people that have owned or played smash 4, play this and see alot of the changes are in extra added modes, more characters. Mechanically the new blocking system is the only really new mechanic that's been added according to reviews. Ben from Giant Bomb is a pretty hardcore Nintendo guy, and he owns smash 4.

From what I've read the other added modes are take it or leave it, mainly filler. And the fact that they could not test online during their reviews is a little alarming in how it will play with 4 players connected over wifi or USB/Ethernet adapter.
Smash Ultimate adds mechanically:
Perfect Parry
Unilateral short hop arial attacks
Directional Air Dodging
Stale Dodging/rolling
Balloon Knockback
Faster air speed across the board with less Landing lag

Among a whole plethora of other things. Ultimate is completely different tha 4.

JRoth

Oct 26, 2017
Any review mention re-mapping buttons? For example, can the player remap the C-Stick to the Directional pad?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched Gamespot's review. They seem to have enjolyed World of Light. Any other review enjoyed?

Most seem to feel that its enjoyable except the spirits can decimate the charm and unique limitations that the event matches offer, leading to stagnation and boredom(heavy lava match? Equip immunity to lava and go win!). Basically akin to turning on cheats and asking how many hours can you realistically enjoy doing very samey battles when all of the variety is sucked out?

Seems like ignoring equipping spirits that remove the limitations and variety of each match may be the best way to experience WoL if you want to enjoy it long-term. Or taking long breaks and not binging in 1 week for a review period(it can be 30+ hours according to some accounts).

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
If changing speed, lag, and damage values don't count as mechanical changes than I'm pretty sure there's still more changed mechanically going from 4 to Ultimate than from Brawl to 4, the only real mechanics change I can think of off the top of my head between those being tripping being removed, again, this is assuming speed, lag, and damage changes don't count which I think is ridiculous. And honestly the way aerials have been buffed by an insane degree due to how much safer they are now is a waaaay bigger change than the new perfect shield.
There are even more new mechanics to consider, too:

-Airdodging overhaul (only one airdodge per airtime unless you get hit, can do Smash 4 airdodge or directional airdodge)
-Staling defensive maneuvers
-Dash canceling into any move (this is major)
-Short-hop input
-Delayed smash attacks
-Final Smash meter

Plus all the characters-specific stuff, especially the newcomers that play like no other character like Inkling or Incineroar. I'll also say that despite it being just a mode, Squad Strike is an incredible new addition.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
There are even more new mechanics to consider, too:

-Airdodging overhaul (only one airdodge per airtime unless you get hit, can do Smash 4 airdodge or directional airdodge)
-Staling defensive maneuvers
-Dash canceling into any move (this is major)
-Short-hop input
-Delayed smash attacks
-Final Smash meter

Plus all the characters-specific stuff, especially the newcomers that play like no other character like Inkling or Incineroar. I'll also say that despite it being just a mode, Squad Strike is an incredible new addition.
Sqaud Strike might take off in the competitive scene in a huge way, that's a major addition.

Oct 26, 2017
I've never ever played a smash before...is it easy to pick up?
It's about as accessible as a fighter can get, albeit also far different from any of them so you can't approach it like any of the others out there. Honestly, I'd say going through the single player modes, tutorial videos, and just messing about with fights against CPUs should help you nail the basics. You won't be besting pros or anything but you should be alright

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never ever played a smash before...is it easy to pick up?
Yup, these games are made to be really acessible, you could have a hard time in your first rounds but you will understand the game mechanics very quickly.

Sakurai literally created this franchise because he wanted a fighter game where it would be easy for anyone to play and get into.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Smash is my most hyped game of the year; I have a eShop copy + fighter pass already downloaded, a CE in the mail, the new smash Amiibos, and the CE guide all on the way. I bought Smash on 3DS and WiiU on Day One. But, I can understand why some people think it's an "up-port." I don't necessarily fall into such a category, but I can understand it. The big selling point is getting everyone back - rather than a load of new characters or gameplay mechanics. Outside of some new blocking and slight adjustments to speed/animations, everything is going to feel very familiar. And it's a shame that online hasn't been tested... even wired on a gigabit fiber line, I'd say at least one out of four games online were utter trash in Smash 4. Really hoping that's improved by 2018, but I'm not too hopeful.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
Expected, tied with Brawl as the best scored Smash game ever, but the actual content of the reviews make it sound as the best one period.

Would have expected 94+ but i still believe this is fair.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and use Mario. He was specifically made as a character for beginners. He's basically the all-rounder of the cast
Good point, some of the characters are drastically different. I'd hate for someone to start with Duck Hunt Dog for example and not enjoy the game due to that.

Mario, Kirby, DK, Link and Samus are pretty easy to start with.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sweet! Awesome reviews, I will ask for this for Christmas from the wife. :)

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oooof GameExplain roasted WoL

But I'm hoping it's the idea of marathoning it for the review and taking it at a slower pace (and not just using the cheap Spirits) will make it more enjoyable.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Hey Poltergust, what is your thoughts on this? Which character do you see getting the most mileage out of this? Yoshi has typically had a pretty respectable dash attack, will this be a major boon for him as well?
This is a boon for every character, frankly.

Although, I guess characters with the best initial dash speeds will benefit the most. But it really makes the game feel so much more aggressive, it's great. Dash into shield is no longer going to be the go-to option.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Seems like ignoring equipping spirits that remove the limitations and variety of each match may be the best way to experience WoL if you want to enjoy it long-term. Or taking long breaks and not binging in 1 week for a review period(it can be 30+ hours according to some accounts).

The problem is that the challenge spikes are so bonkers that some fights simply can't be beaten without boring Spirit-equip choices. My review explores a few examples of this. Either you have the exact right spirit, or you're fighting a 9-difficulty monstrosity for 45 minutes.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I absolutely would not trust game reviews to tell me what's different about fighting game mechanics.
When the pros say the game plays completely different (you know the people who actually know these games inside and out and don't just play it for one week for a job), the game plays completely different.

But isn't that any fighter though as the game evolves? Street fighter 4 and street fighter V all had tweaks and changes made from when the game released. New moves, optional supers, new canceling.

They are updates to the game.

These changes that seem to come from more of the hardcore crowd doesn't negate that the base of Ultimate down to animations/ some of the stages for characters are from Smash 4.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Last time I played a Smash game was in 2002 with Melee.

This will definitely be on my pick up list once I grab a Switch sometime next year with the Pokemon game I'm waiting for.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Watched EurogamerSpain video review. The "Smash expert" says that Luigi is a Mario echo "with some different moves".
Before you watched the review:
28604.jpg

And immediately after:
500px-HA_HA_HA%2C_OH_WOW.jpg

JRoth

Oct 26, 2017
This is a boon for every character, frankly.

Although, I guess characters with the best initial dash speeds will benefit the most. But it really makes the game feel so much more aggressive, it's great. Dash into shield is no longer going to be the go-to option.
Dash into shield is something I never truly liked in previous Smashes. Some characters didn't have much of a choice when it came to platform based approaches. In hindsight, yeah I can see this opening up the meta for characters that struggle with ground game.