• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Keenest

Oct 27, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
SA Gamer - 9.5/10

Good
  • Adventure mode will last you a long time
  • A soundtrack so good you can buy the game just for that
  • The spirits inject a whole new strategic element
  • 74 fighters and over 100 stages to fight in
Bad
  • Home-run contest is gone
  • Hopefully online mode won't be as broken as other Smash games

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
How worried should I be that Amazon says my game should arrive by 11pm tomorrow? I don't want to wait all freaking day to play it.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know they said WoL wasn't going to be story heavy but then showing the big opening cutscene I think got some people's hopes up.

Outside of a few neat "Oh damn, they included that character?!" moments it's basically just a really long event mode
Event mode is always one of my favorites so this might be a plus for me.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
They? There's more than one Fosko?!

World of Light seemed tedious to me since its initial trailer. Still, it's just one more mode among the lot of modes we have on our disposition to play in this gigantic game. I simply see it as it is: if it gets boring, I'll play some online tournament or something.

Question: it's World of Light the quickest way to unlock characters?
I think it's playing VS. Mode and resetting the game completely to avoid the 10 minute timer

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
FB7n4Qt.jpg

Did you watch the same direct everyone else did?
But the review says it's not that fun either. But I'll play it in a few hours anyway, so who cares about reviews.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
SA Gamer - 9.5/10

Good
Bad
I can't help but LOL at one of the "cons" being pure speculation. That's an odd way to review a game...

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of a few neat "Oh damn, they included that character?!" moments it's basically just a really long event mode
Oh hell yeah, I loved the events in Melee. Brawl event mode was too samey and Smash 4 was a little better, but still mostly Multi-Man Melee.

I'm super down for this. Welcome back creative event matches!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who can't play anything in long sessions anymore (due to having a kid and work and stuff) World of Light sounds perfect for me. I won't be able to play too long in one sitting for it to get boring and there's enough content in it overall to keep me happy for a very long time.

Also it sounds like something where you make your own challenge. I might just find a team I like and not worry about cancelling out each specific hazard for each event, so that it keeps them interesting.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How worried should I be that Amazon says my game should arrive by 11pm tomorrow? I don't want to wait all freaking day to play it.
Should arrive when your mail comes. They usually say 'should arrive by 8pm' but maybe they bumped it because of the holiday season and carriers are busier than ever.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah, Spirits sounds like something I'll completely forget about after I'm done with WoL, which isn't sounding too hot either for me. I would've much preferred Break the targets (10-15 shared stages among all characters) and some kind of home run.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I find it funny that telegraph calls the game the best in the series and yet gives the game a lower score than Wii U. Same reviewer too...

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But the review says it's not that fun either. But I'll play it in a few hours anyway, so who cares about reviews.
"the review"

As if there is any consensus here. One review called it the best single player mode this year. It should be obvious from watching prevews if it's your jam or not.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Should arrive when your mail comes. They usually say 'should arrive by 8pm' but maybe they bumped it because of the holiday season and carriers are busier than ever.
Thanks! That's good to know. I'm at a school, and if it comes after the mailroom closes, I won't be able to grab it until Monday. Thank you for putting my mind at ease.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
SA Gamer - 9.5/10

Good
Bad
WTF is that CON? LMAO

If you don't know how it's going to perform, don't add it as a bad thing.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
The #1 biggest factor that will sway my opinion is the quality of the online. I'm under the impression that it's not turned on yet, making all these early reviews pointless for me. The game is Smash for WiiU but with all the move stats tweaked and a few new characters. The online experience is Smash weak spot. If I still cant do an items on free for all with 4 players then this game will be an 80-85 for me.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great but god I hope the netcode is good. Please more ARMS or Splatoon 2 than garbage Mario tennis. I am glad that they supposedly incorporated ARMS type lobbies in to the game. I always found those fun.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the most pointless review embargo because everyone already knew what to expect and nobody is even surprised at it hitting GOTY scores.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, Long event mode sound great.

Subspace was awful with its platfroming and no charm to it at all. Only the bosses were cool to see. (I'm one of the few who didn't like the cutscenes in Subspace as well, lack of dialogue made them pointless).

cbrotherson

Freelance Games & Comic Book Writer
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Birmingham
As someone who can't play anything in long sessions anymore (due to having a kid and work and stuff) World of Light sounds perfect for me. I won't be able to play too long in one sitting for it to get boring and there's enough content in it overall to keep me happy for a very long time.

Likewise regarding the playtime. It's one of the reasons Octopath didn't bore me as much as others, as I was always playing in bite sized chunks on the way home. I love games which can absorb me for hours at a time, but sadly I just don't have those hours in my spare time to play.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Getting "bored" of Spirits kind of tells me what one might expect from them. I, for one, am looking forward to a massively expanded event mode augmented with RPG mechanics wrapped into a loose story mode, which seems like exactly what WoL offers. The added benefit of having Smash gameplay-education in the natures of various video game characters is a massive plus.

In other words: Spirit battles could not possibly get boring for me, in or out of WoL mode. And the fantastical world map and (sparce) narrative only add to the experience for me.

I am looking forward to it so very much.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Down to 93 with 30 reviews. I think this'll stabilize around 92-93 so I was right on point. Smash was always going to be good because all of them are, but considering this is using the framework of Smash 4 the score totally makes sense because it's not drastically a departure as the last ones. I'm just glad this review thread didn't go as it usually goes.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Sounds great but god I hope the netcode is good. Please more ARMS or Splatoon 2 than garbage Mario tennis. I am glad that they supposedly incorporated ARMS type lobbies in to the game. I always found those fun.
Splatoon 2's online is actually marred by a low refresh rate on the server side of things.