• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
40 hours would be 100%.
That's honestly not so bad then, and the fact that it already isn't setting out to be anything like Subspace means that the adventure mode seems like a good pace breaker in between most of everything else that's on offer.

Most of what I hated about Smash 4 was that there wasn't really much to do between the average Smash battle outside of farming for trophies (i.e grinding more of the terrible classic mode) or Crazy Orders. With this I can at least pop up world of light and unlock some more stuff on the map and do more Spirit Battles. I actually dig that kind of setup for a single player mode, reminds me a bit of Hyrule Warriors.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Guys, if the game director says that he is NOT going to do one thing but you think he does and in the end he does NOT do it ...

The problem is yours.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The actual spirit battles is what's so fun. Hundreds and hundreds of customized battles where they try to represent obscure game characters from across game history with tools in the game. Almost every example I've seen so far has been hilarious.

WoL just puts some extra context around it and a cool looking world map.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Of course these are fantastic scores, but if the game were being reviewed solely on the promise it is making, being the Ultimate Super Smash Bros game, it would be 10's across the board easy.
That's an odd argument... if a game promises to be a piece of shit and achieves that goal, would it be 10's across the board? It can be the ultimate anything and still not get 10's across the board.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
World of Light is perfect for pick up and play on the go to. You can get some fights in here and there.

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
Will Nintendo be able to recover if this is a below 90 or will they replace the switch with another console asap?

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I enjoyed world of light.
It has light puzzles while not hard were a welcome way to break up the traversal of the map, homages to many games are included in the details of the world, and I liked collecting the best spirits and making my team suit my playstyle.
I was 18 hours to complete without 100%, but I did go back to get 100%.
You can do a new game+ and I that carries over the spirits you collected, I also didn't have 1200 when I 100% so you need to re do the map in new game to get them all or do the spirit board

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I said 95 but 94 is good enough. To think that some people were thinking it was gonna be around 80-90.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
WoL sounds like something that should not be completed in a couple of sittings (something I assume reviewers would have to do to get reviews out on time). Repetitive if you play for 10 hours+ in one go but good if you play for an hour or 2.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Only Nintendo would give 40+ hours of single player content to a fighting game, they are in a league of their own. Can't fucking wait.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WoL sounds like something that should not be completed in a couple of sittings (something I assume reviewers would have to do to get reviews out on time). Repetitive if you play for 10 hours+ in a row but good if you play for an hour or 2.
Yeh. I understand why Andre got tired of it. It's harder for reviewers.

Brewster123

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA
They overhyped it in the end by making you think it'd be more story/cinematic heavy.
FB7n4Qt.jpg

Did you watch the same direct everyone else did?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I will never understand the obsession with which all games need a story mode with narrative and cinematics tbh.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
"World of Light feels like a forced march through a Nintendo product catalog. It failed to elicit an iota of nostalgia in me. Mostly, I was frustrated. I did not have fun cheesing my way through battles in which my button inputs were reversed. I did not have fun chasing Peach across an enormous, hazard-packed stage while, as she evaded me, other Smash fighters wielding hammers and flame swords attempted to ruin my life. I didn't really have a lot of fun searching for exactly the right spirit to help me traverse some broken bridge. After a while, I wasn't even a little delighted by Nintendo's cutesy interpretations of Spirits for their battle conditions. I will say, however, that the map is a little charming.

For me, World of Light wasn't worth it for the stickers. It would have been significantly more satisfying to play if, say, there was a short cutscene after I unlocked a fighter or even, like, a bit more plot. I don't play Super Smash Bros.to collect things or make numbers go up. Those who do may enjoy this. After reviewing Smash Ultimate, I will probably never look at Spirits mode or World of Light again."

welp I already knew WoL was gonna be trash you force ya self through once and never again so not shocked

That sounds a bit disappointing. Was hoping for a great SP story mode to give this series a try.

The scores are very good anyway.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Outside of a few neat "Oh damn, they included that character?!" moments it's basically just a really long event mode
Having no descriptions about these characters kinda hurts the removal of trophies it for me. I don't really know many of these obscure characters, so only knowing the name/game series and type of spirit battle makes it difficult to understand the characters.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Ignore Fosko, they just like to be pessimistic and troll.
They? There's more than one Fosko?!

World of Light seemed tedious to me since its initial trailer. Still, it's just one more mode among the lot of modes we have on our disposition to play in this gigantic game. I simply see it as it is: if it gets boring, I'll play some online tournament or something.

Question: it's World of Light the quickest way to unlock characters?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Of course these are fantastic scores, but if the game were being reviewed solely on the promise it is making, being the Ultimate Super Smash Bros game, it would be 10's across the board easy.

Nobody does reviews like that though. Well, not any good review anyway. If it gets tens across the board, because it's better than all the games before it in the series, what happens if/when the next one is better? Do we retroactively dock ultinate points for no longer being ultimate? or do we move to an 11 point scale? or do we just give all smash Bros games 10s in perpetuity, making reviews entirely pointless?

Being better than the prior games in the series isn't and shouldn't be a guarantee of a higher or perfect score.