• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Says 93 for me with 18 reviews.
Wut... So, this just happened:

DtvF8eqWoAA8d5J.jpg:large

And moments ago I saw 93 with 18 reviews, just like you did...

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
JeuxActu gave it an 80, citing it as more of a Deluxe version than a Switch-specific production (which, while we know that's not the case, could end up being a common sentiment).

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Sofar so good. God it's going to be a hard wait at work tomorrow.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Do you all think this is going to be playable entirely in handheld?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Surprised by these scores as they've barely shown anything of the game. We're going in practically blind.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I see we are already trying to pick out the negative shit from these reviews...

Anyway, as expected, great scores and should settle in the low to mid 90's.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
welp I already knew WoL was gonna be trash you force ya self through once and never again so not shocked

The most significant addition to Ultimate, however, lies in its single-player content. Ultimate once again features a Classic Mode where each individual fighter has their own unique ladder of opponents to defeat, but the bigger deal is World of Light, Ultimate's surprisingly substantial RPG-style campaign. It's a convoluted setup--beginning as Kirby, you go on a long journey throughout a huge world map to rescue Smash's other fighters (who have incidentally been cloned in large numbers) from the big bad's control.

Though there is some light puzzling, the world is naturally filled with hundreds upon hundreds of fights--there are over 1200 Spirit characters, and the vast majority have their own unique battle stages that use the game's match variables to represent their essence. The Goomba Spirit, for example, will put you up against an army of tiny Donkey Kongs. Meanwhile, the Excitebike Spirit might throw three Warios at you who only use their Side+B motorbike attacks.

It may seem like a tenuous idea at first, but these fights are incredibly entertaining. It's hard not to appreciate the creativity of using Smash's assets to represent a thousand different characters. Zero Suit Samus might stand in for a battle with The Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater by donning a silver-palette costume and fighting you in a flower-filled Final Destination, but she also stands in for the spirit of Alexandra Roivas from Eternal Darkness by using a black-palette costume and fighting you in the haunted Luigi's Mansion stage, with a modifier that makes the screen occasionally flip upside down (Eternal Darkness was a GameCube horror game whose signature feature were "Sanity Effects", which skewed the game in spooky ways to represent the character's loosening grip on reality). If I knew the character, I often found myself thinking about how clever their Spirit battle was.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/super-smash-bros-ultimate-review-in-progress/1900-6417051/

I'm not saying you'll love it or I'll love it, but I'll go in with a open mind. Gamespot seemed to enjoy it.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, I'm predicting a score of 95 once it's all done.

Smash_Ult_Review_Thread.png

Why is Piranha Plant so tiny compared to everyone else? The fuck is wrong with you, Muzy?

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
So the last direct overhyped the world of light I see.

If they don't have access to online they shouldn't give a score yet.