• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
images

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Nice scores. As someone who plays primarily in handheld, I am paying attention to what the reviews say about how easy/hard it is to keep track of all of the action.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/super-smash-bros-ultimate-review-in-progress/1900-6417051/

Gamespot in progress

9/10 tho

THE GOOD

Refined fighting system remains both accessible and complex Incredibly large and diverse character roster

Numerous quality-of-life improvements, both technical and superficial Single-player content is plentiful and engaging

A number of entertaining multiplayer modes Immense library of iconic video game music

Packed with loving homages and fan service

Everyone is here

THE BAD

Difficult to follow the action in Switch's handheld mode

Character unlocking is initially bothersome
I play it in handheld mode and seldom find it difficult to follow my character. Just need a good doze of concentration and you should be fine.

Oct 25, 2017
Lol the only 80 score on Metacritic so far says it feels like a Deluxe version. Even now some can't get past that.

Either way looking very good so far, congrats Sakurai and team!

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Areone know if any "FGC" outlets are reviewing it? Specifically wondering how it stacks up against Melee as a competitive game. I've never really followed or particularly enjoyed Smash, but I do love fighting gamers and the idea of a—and I hate using this term, but you know what I mean—more "casual" competitive experience (compared to SFV) is compelling.

Just as an outsider, it's always seemed like the competitive scene is on Melee. I want to play on my Switch. lol

Last edited:

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"World of Light feels like a forced march through a Nintendo product catalog. It failed to elicit an iota of nostalgia in me. Mostly, I was frustrated. I did not have fun cheesing my way through battles in which my button inputs were reversed. I did not have fun chasing Peach across an enormous, hazard-packed stage while, as she evaded me, other Smash fighters wielding hammers and flame swords attempted to ruin my life. I didn't really have a lot of fun searching for exactly the right spirit to help me traverse some broken bridge. After a while, I wasn't even a little delighted by Nintendo's cutesy interpretations of Spirits for their battle conditions. I will say, however, that the map is a little charming.

For me, World of Light wasn't worth it for the stickers. It would have been significantly more satisfying to play if, say, there was a short cutscene after I unlocked a fighter or even, like, a bit more plot. I don't play Super Smash Bros.to collect things or make numbers go up. Those who do may enjoy this. After reviewing Smash Ultimate, I will probably never look at Spirits mode or World of Light again."

welp I already knew WoL was gonna be trash you force ya self through once and never again so not shocked

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The review that gave 8/10 even misspelled Switch which I found amusing.

Scores around as expected! Hyped for tomorrow.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"World of Light feels like a forced march through a Nintendo product catalog. It failed to elicit an iota of nostalgia in me. Mostly, I was frustrated. I did not have fun cheesing my way through battles in which my button inputs were reversed. I did not have fun chasing Peach across an enormous, hazard-packed stage while, as she evaded me, other Smash fighters wielding hammers and flame swords attempted to ruin my life. I didn't really have a lot of fun searching for exactly the right spirit to help me traverse some broken bridge. After a while, I wasn't even a little delighted by Nintendo's cutesy interpretations of Spirits for their battle conditions. I will say, however, that the map is a little charming.

For me, World of Light wasn't worth it for the stickers. It would have been significantly more satisfying to play if, say, there was a short cutscene after I unlocked a fighter or even, like, a bit more plot. I don't play Super Smash Bros.to collect things or make numbers go up. Those who do may enjoy this. After reviewing Smash Ultimate, I will probably never look at Spirits mode or World of Light again."

welp I already knew WoL was gonna be trash you force ya self through once and never again so not shocked
Yet other reviews said WoL is good/great.

Reviews how do they work?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Areone know if any "FGC" outlets are reviewing it? Specifically wondering how it stacks up against Melee as a competitive game. I've never really followed or particularly enjoyed Smash, but I do love fighting gamers and the idea of a—and I hate using this Trent, but you know what I mean—more "casual" competitive experience (compared to SFV) is compelling.

Just as an outsider, it's always seemed like the competitive scene is on Melee. I want to play on my Switch. lol
Omni summed up how he thinks it'll go down regarding Melee.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Areone know if any "FGC" outlets are reviewing it? Specifically wondering how it stacks up against Melee as a competitive game. I've never really followed or particularly enjoyed Smash, but I do love fighting gamers and the idea of a—and I hate using this Trent, but you know what I mean—more "casual" competitive experience (compared to SFV) is compelling.

I don't think you're going to get a solid "is this competitive worthy" review of the game until much, much later. That's not how things work. It needs to absorbed by the community first before one can make a judgment on that.

Fastrun

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/super-smash-bros-ultimate-review-in-progress/1900-6417051/

Gamespot in progress

9/10 tho

THE GOOD

Refined fighting system remains both accessible and complex Incredibly large and diverse character roster

Numerous quality-of-life improvements, both technical and superficial

Single-player content is plentiful and engaging

A number of entertaining multiplayer modes

Immense library of iconic video game music

Packed with loving homages and fan service

Everyone is here

THE BAD

Difficult to follow the action in Switch's handheld mode

Character unlocking is initially bothersome

In other words, if you played Smash 3DS and had no problems with it and are fine with needing to unlock the remaining 66 fighters, it'll be great. That's fine for me.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018

He says he doesn't play smash to collect things. Plenty of people do

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've not seen a single review that makes me think I'll not enjoy WoL more than any previous Smash single player offering.