• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you predict it will score?

• 100 (First Perfect Metascore Baby!)

• 95-99 (Sorry Sakurai, Still Not Perfect)

• 90-94 (As good as Brawl)

• 85-90 (Worse than Brawl)

• Below 85 (does it even count as a game at this point?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Completed it a few hours ago. It's handily a better game than Brawl and Smash4 in virtually every aspect (variety being my only issue - I do wish they had home-run, target smash, and perhaps some platforming just to break the pace up) but it being a fighting/multiplayer game will hold it back from >95 meta.

Game is delightfully challenging, and Spirits are wayyyyy more enjoyable than I had anticipated. Seriously, the fights themselves become fantastically ridiculous with spirits adding so many unique variables and behaviours to the mix.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Completed it a few hours ago. It's handily a better game than Brawl and Smash4 in virtually every aspect (variety being my only issue - I do wish they had home-run, target smash, and perhaps some platforming just to break the pace up) but it being a fighting/multiplayer game will hold it back from >95 meta.

Game is delightfully challenging, and Spirits are wayyyyy more enjoyable than I had anticipated. Seriously, the fights themselves become fantastically ridiculous with spirits adding so many unique variables and behaviours to the mix.

oh man, excited

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017

I'm expecting people praising the longer single-player content of it (probably the biggest since, what, Melee ?), but I'm not particularly hopefull on the online side of it, which can hurt a fighting game a lot.

Did you managed to test the game online ? With people close to you and from another countries ?

Jeb

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Mar 14, 2018
99.9 and the internet will be furious for why it was rated too low.
Then we will play it and call it overhyped.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada

IlliterateOddballKiwi-max-1mb.gif

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
97 is my prediction with it falling under the 95-99. There's no way it ends up 94 and under.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Good to hear. 95+ was already considered too much. 93-94 is great though.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I'm expecting people praising the longer single-player content of it (probably the biggest since, what, Melee ?), but I'm not particularly hopefull on the online side of it, which can hurt a fighting game a lot.

Did you managed to test the game online ? With people close to you and from another countries ?
I actually expect World of Light's length to count against it! It's a minor negative, but after completing 400 spirit battles and spending over 54 hours (this seems a little high tbh. Perhaps I left my switch idling? Regardless it's definitely >25h campaign) just to see the final credits-roll, I felt it dragged on a bit too long. The cutscenes are too short, and there are too few - if they'd been more regular (and with a bit more fanservice. They mostly serve to depict the villains, with very little fighter screentime) I think my interest would have held the whole way.

I haven't tried online, as I'm staunchly against paying Nintendo for online multiplayer given the piss-weak effort they make in my country for it (Australia). Online multiplayer in Brawl was atrocious, 4 was awful, and Splatoon 2 has been just egh. Frankly I've been burned too many times to even chance paying. I simply have no confidence in that changing for Ultimate. Best to just treat it like usual - your mileage with Nintendo online will vary hugely depending on region.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I actually expect World of Light's length to count against it. It's a minor negative, but after completing 400 spirit battles and spending over 62 hours (this seems a little high tbh. Perhaps I left my switch idling? Regardless it's definitely >25h campaign) just to see the final credits-roll, I felt it dragged on a bit too long. The cutscenes are too sparse, and there are too few - if they'd been more regular I think my interest would have held the whole way.

I haven't tried online, as I'm staunchly against paying Nintendo for online multiplayer given the piss-weak effort they make in my country for it (Australia). Online multiplayer in Brawl was atrocious, 4 was awful, and Splatoon 2 has been just egh. Frankly I've been burned too many times to even chance paying. I simply have no confidence in that changing for Ultimate. Best to just treat it like usual - your mileage with Nintendo online will vary hugely depending on region.

So what I''m getting from this is it's a great single-player/co-op game? If so I am excited.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Temper your expectations people
Considering i have only ever bought 2 smash games and i am not a big fan i can safely say my expectations are probably the most tempered. I only buy them to play with friends.

That being said it's a 95+ with my prediction being 97. They are just predictions y'all.

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017

I'm Brazilian so I'm certainly expecting for the online experience to be poor. Every fighting game that I reviewed on the Switch had online issues, especially because it was difficult finding people nearby with the games and the fact that the Switch relies on a wireless connection. I intent to get the free 7 day trial to test Ultimate and that's it.

I think most reviews will be in the 9-10 range, but I want to see how many will actually talk about the online portion with some depth to it.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
It honestly just looks like it plays flawlessly unlike previous ganes
I'm not super big on the fighting game genre or competitive Smash so my word doesn't mean much, but I would definitely agree with this. Unlike in Smash 4, every idea feels well executed upon, and unlike in Brawl the fights feel near flawless. And I'm not just saying this from my point of rosy afterglow - I was looking to nitpick, and seriously struggled to.
So what I''m getting from this is it's a great single-player/co-op game? If so I am excited.
Absolutely, but it is Smash, that's pretty much a given. Singleplayer content (principally spirits) is far more meaty than Smash4, and while WoL sadly can't be played Co-op, I've been having a wonderful time 1v1ing my brother, and going through Classic mode with my girlfriend (who's an extremely casual gamer, but can't seem to get enough of it).
Holy crap how long is World of Light?
Stupidly big. I felt it was too long, but that could have been a symptom of my rushing through it to see all the cutscenes before they're plastered on every social media board and video game forum around.
Temper your expectations people
I'd say temper expectations as to 95+, but 'best Smash game yet' is going to be the prevailing sentiment in the future.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm Brazilian so I'm certainly expecting for the online experience to be poor. Every fighting game that I reviewed on the Switch had online issues, especially because it was difficult finding people nearby with the games and the fact that the Switch relies on a wireless connection. I intent to get the free 7 day trial to test Ultimate and that's it.

I think most reviews will be in the 9-10 range, but I want to see how many will actually talk about the online portion with some depth to it.
I doubt the online will be on by the time reviews are out. Probably won't go live until launch. Even if it was, most of these reviewers seem to live relatively close to each other within each region so I'm not sure this would be a useful gauge for someone like you

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I am no Smash veteran, and only played Smash 4 on Wii U for a few hours. Somehow the game never clicked.

Now I have played around 3 hours of Ultimate. This game deserves at least 95 on Metacritic. The game is so good that I literally can't think of any shortcomings. It is flawless.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually expect World of Light's length to count against it! It's a minor negative, but after completing 400 spirit battles and spending over 54 hours (this seems a little high tbh. Perhaps I left my switch idling? Regardless it's definitely >25h campaign) just to see the final credits-roll, I felt it dragged on a bit too long. The cutscenes are too short, and there are too few - if they'd been more regular (and with a bit more fanservice. They mostly serve to depict the villains, with very little fighter screentime) I think my interest would have held the whole way.

Smash 4 being designed by Namco had online similar to their other fighting games, if both players have great connections then the match experience will be great, if you had great online and the opponent has okay or bad online then the match will reflect that. Smash 4 otherwise has a solid base for online play

SephLuis

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt the online will be on by the time reviews are out. Probably won't go live until launch. Even if it was, most of these reviewers seem to live relatively close to each other within each region so I'm not sure this would be a useful gauge for someone like you

With some of the reviews I made, the online was live before launch. I simply assumed that would be the case with Ultimate.

While we do have a competitive scene around here, I wanted to know how the online code holds with people nearby, far away and the usual randoms you encounter while playing ranked or casuals.

For example, playing Soul Calibur 6 was amazing because the matches were playable even if there was some lag to it.

brykuhn91

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing 94. Most reviewers will claim its the best Smash game yet. Some will take points off for single player and removal of features like Homerun contest and trophies.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't fathom this game getting more than 95, but mainly because of the constraints of the genre it's in. I think 90-94 is likely.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
94 is my final prediction. It'll definitely be >90, but the lacking single player content and the (inevitably) laggy online play will hold the game back from perfection. Plus probably one or two reviewers (*cough*Jim Sterling*cough*) will make some point about how it doesn't do anything new or try anything risky and is basically an overblown port of the Wii U version and score the game in the low 80s or some shit.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
93 would be my guess, its loaded with content and will appeal to old and new fans.

Cant wait to read some of the reviews!

Observation Platform

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
It will be fun to see these reviews start filtering through as Aussies start up their games at the exact same time. Getting little sleep tonight, wooo.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Predicting 94, aswell. As solid and suuuper content packed as Smash Ultimate is, I feel like reviewers reserve 95+ scores for truly groundbreaking and genre pushing games (i.e. BotW, Mario Odyssey, God of War etc.).

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I say low 90's because some wont be enthused with World of light and would rather have the shallow platforming and myriad cutscenes of Brawl/Neatherrealm games.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I loved Smash 4 but never understood its score considering its single player offerings. Logically, Ultimate shouldn't score lower, but a lot can change in a few years.

I just know we will have a review that heavily critizices reused content which will be hilarious.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
90-94 MC is reasonable
95-99 MC is optimistic
100 MC is delusional
... and anything below 90 is also delusional.

I'll go with the second one.

I can already tell the overall consensus is that this game will be "The best one", but reviews are also products of their time, so who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.