• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
So is the Discord that was posted here still active? I tried to join, but it doesn't look active.

I'm wondering if the spirit images the app pulls are higher resolution though. If anything, they may be higher quality since they shouldn't have texture compression or scaling artifacts.
Oh did you mean did anyone rip them from the app? My bad I thought yo uwanted the game's spirit rips to compare

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How do you button mash out of grabs and buries quickly? I watched zeros controller video and he maps shield to all the taunt buttons to make it easy but I tried it and it didn't work, am I missing something?

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
So, quick question:

Why isn't the OT "Super Smash Bros Ultimate |OT2| : The Spirits Within"?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question: Who are the rushdown characters of this game? I want to move away from Lucas and find a good complement to Simon Belmont. I was thinking Ness since he's tiny but I have problems with the larger characters and sword wielders.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pichu is like the de facto rush down character in this game.

Hmm.

Do I dare sacrifice my dignity to play Pichu?

Inkling's a good candidate for getting up in someone's grill right? I want to play a good character but I also want to play a character I like, and I love me some Splatoon.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
What makes a rushdown character? I remember seeing that classification pyramid before, but it may have changed since.

Also, more glitches!

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

Was literally JUST about to post this when the "hey new posts happened while you were typing" came up

Smash 4's new comers animations generally felt more animated so I was surprised how much nicer they were made in Ultimat. The new lighting of the battlefield area and the more dynamic camera goes a long way.

Changing Mega Man's third pose to dashing into frame instead of jumping seems like a downgrade though.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Missed opportunity to showcase the Robin+Chrom victory animation with Chrom as the loser

Never noticed how much better Duck Hunt's colors were in Ultimate.

Last edited:

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Why are Corrin's lines so boring.
Like yeah they're pretty dull (& stupid) in Fates itself but the game was out for months in Japan. Buteven with that handicap you could have found literally any lines better than "I win!" and "Good."

How about something fun, like "I choose....to win!" or "For my family!" or "Do you see me, Xander/Ryoma?"

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I think Mii Brawler wins the "Most Improved Animations Between Games" award for Smash 4 vets
I agree with one exception that's universal on the Miis: The face parts look way worse in Ultimate

or maybe, I guess, they look the same but the graphical fidelity of everything else increased so they stand out more. Hella pixelated

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I agree with one exception that's universal on the Miis: The face parts look way worse in Ultimate

or maybe, I guess, they look the same but the graphical fidelity of everything else increased so they stand out more. Hella pixelated
The portraits seem way lower res than Smash 4.

But looking at that video, their face sprite quality looks about the same. You'd think they'd just be easy to render vectors, but other Mii based games also tend to not have the highest quality face pieces, either, so I wonder if them being a bit blurry is a system wide issue and not something Smash Ultimate changed from Smash 4.
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So how can one use Joker's GUN most effectively?

The range is short, characters don't flinch when hit and it seems pretty slow to get out of animation when using it.
I don't play Joker much, but I like to use whatever power I copy with Kirby and I can't really figure out a good moment to use it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Today was one of those days that make me wonder why I even bother.

Nothing but my worst match ups, lag all over the place, and lost a chunk of that worthless pig swill GSP.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So how can one use Joker's GUN most effectively?

The range is short, characters don't flinch when hit and it seems pretty slow to get out of animation when using it.
I don't play Joker much, but I like to use whatever power I copy with Kirby and I can't really figure out a good moment to use it.

Watch any of MKLeo's matches from yesterday at GOML, he uses it to pressure, cover his landing and gimp people recovering

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Something about playing Diddy feels massively underwhelming, like he's not bad, solid mid I wager, but the nerfs that hit him across the board make the actual act of playing as him feel kinda tedious

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I always like playing random characters online that nobody plays just to give others a chance to fight someone who isn't Ganondorf/Cloud/Joker

Been doing Doc and Bowser Jr (Roy) lately. The amount of people who don't know that Doc's down special is really, really good and needs to be taken seriously is a lot. You can tell people don't play against Doc often.

And yea, I'll still pick Ganon occasionally, but c'mon, he's just like the most fun you can possibly have.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Simon's definitely supplanted Lucas as my best character. I'm screwed if someone gimps my recovery in any way but I'm getting the hang of playing him and he's a lot of fun once you get him right. The only character I cannot beat under any circumstance with him is Pichu.

I like Inkling and Ness but they seem to be fodder for the larger characters like DK and Ganondorf. Can't get close without getting pounded into the dirt.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that meanwhile I try my damnedest with Simon and I swear it's like 80% of people online have him completely figured out and know how to approach, where his blindspots are and in general to keep up in his grill, the other 20% are the opposite.
I use Lucas much less than Simon but still do better.

Your Ness fears DK? my DK fears Ness!

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Because I'm still salty I don't get actual swag noble Richter from Symphony and instead get kinda generic shonen hero edition.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people playing Simon when Richter is in the game?

Simon can crush skulls between his thighs.

It's funny that meanwhile I try my damnedest with Simon and I swear it's like 80% of people online have him completely figured out and know how to approach, where his blindspots are and in general to keep up in his grill, the other 20% are the opposite.
I use Lucas much less than Simon but still do better.

Your Ness fears DK? my DK fears Ness!

DK when I play a small character is like my number one adversary. I suck at fighting him, especially with Lucas who only really has PK Fire to keep him at bay, so I have to play super defensively and I'm bad at that.

As for Ness and Inkling, it's just a matter of getting swatted when I try to approach him. They at least are way faster and more mobile than Lucas so it's not as big a deal.

I hate being this down on Lucas. Mother 3 is my favourite Nintendo game and I wanted to main Lucas but I just don't think he's that good, or at least I'm not good at him.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Crushing Ganondorfs with my Isabelle brings me so much joy. You just keep charging up that DORIYAH, I'm going fishing.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
What are your predictions for the underwhelming balance patch thats going to come with 4.0.0 and the new character? More King K. Rool nerfs? Maybe they finally nerf Peach this time?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
What are your predictions for the underwhelming balance patch thats going to come with 4.0.0 and the new character? More King K. Rool nerfs? Maybe they finally nerf Peach this time?
Why would Peach need a nerf? She's a good character, but she's mostly represented in competitive play by one of the best Ultimate players in the world. Which makes her seem more dominant than she is.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Why would Peach need a nerf? She's a good character, but she's mostly represented in competitive play by one of the best Ultimate players in the world. Which makes her seem more dominant than she is.
Id wager thats because shes hard though, not because she isnt insanely good (think Smash 4 Rosa). Olimar needs the nerf more though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still want Ganondorf to get a nerf so I stop seeing him all the time. He feels like too much reward for too little risk.

One of my problems with picking up new characters is having to relearn how to fight Ganondorf and the four Marths. I got that down pat with Lucas and mostly with Simon.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Id wager thats because shes hard though, not because she isnt insanely good (think Smash 4 Rosa). Olimar needs the nerf more though.
Nobody in Ultimate really needs nerfs. There isn't one, or even a handful of characters that dominate everything.

We only see certain characters do well in tournaments because the people who main them, happen to be the best players. Roy just won a large tournament last weekend, should Roy be nerfed?

I still want Ganondorf to get a nerf so I stop seeing him all the time. He feels like too much reward for too little risk.

One of my problems with picking up new characters is having to relearn how to fight Ganondorf and the four Marths. I got that down pat with Lucas and mostly with Simon.
This is the first time since Melee that Ganondorf isn't a bottom tier trash character, let him have his one game in the mid tiers

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Nobody in Ultimate really needs nerfs. There isn't one, or even a handful of characters that dominate everything.

We only see certain characters do well in tournaments because the people who main them, happen to be the best players. Roy just won a large tournament last weekend, should Roy be nerfed?
You need to consider more than just results though (though a Roy nerf to back airs kill power wouldnt be unwarranted, shit kills at 70 at the ledge and confirms off jab), Olimar in general is too strong in certain aspects and shuts down too many characters, nerfing him would make the game in general healthier.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is the first time since Melee that Ganondorf isn't a bottom tier trash character, let him have his one game in the mid tiers

I dunno, it just feels like Ganondorf in casual play is ridiculously strong. He's got a decent recovery, can suicide kill you if you try to gimp him, and every move he has is a kill move. I don't want him to get thrown into the bin (that's a lie, I absolutely want that) but I think he could use a little softening.

Granted a lot of it is my fault. Can't count the amount of times I've fallen into DORIYAH.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
If Ganondorf got nerfed do to casual play, those same players who abuse Ganondorf would just move to Ike, who can do similar stuff to Ganondorf, but just at higher percents.

There's always going to be casual friendly characters.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Ganondorf is also just incredibly slow and telegraphed. So many characters can dance around him.

This feels like Overwatch's initial launch when everyone complained about Bastion. You just have to play a bit more careful.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Ganondorf got nerfed do to casual play, those same players who abuse Ganondorf would just move to Ike, who can do similar stuff to Ganondorf, but just at higher percents.

The only egregious thing about Ike in my opinion is his NAir. Otherwise he just seems solid with good recovery thanks to side-B. Like I think it's the difference between Incineroar's Revenge giving him such a massive damage boost vs. him just being all around a great character which I think Ganondorf is in casual play.

But you're right. If Ganondorf got nerfed the people looking for easy wins would just migrate to other characters. Fighting games always have that character.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I think the rule with Ganondorf is to always respect that he can end you in like four hits and it's like 'Dorf roulette for every match he's in where it seems to be he nails everything or whiffs everything, Ganoncide doesn't net him a win at equal stocks anymore though so that softens that aspect of his kit.