• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Considering they went from letting you do a few taunts per stock -> no taunts from Smash 4 -> Ultimate, they probably removed them to prevent people from trying to tilt other people.

Except now people just teabag instead, and you can't taunt kill with Luigi lol. So good job Nintendo.
Lol, yeah and can't drop Kirby copy abilities voluntarily. I feel like rapid crouching (calling it teabagging is dumb IMO because that doesn't make sense unless there's someone else there) tilts more than taunts ever did.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

Joker_mirror_match dot avi

I'm the P1 default color Joker in this video.

Phoenix944

Oct 28, 2017
I miss a couple of fight in WOL but have absolutely no idea where they are... Is there an easy way to check that? The zoom out option didn't help

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I miss a couple of fight in WOL but have absolutely no idea where they are... Is there an easy way to check that? The zoom out option didn't help
How many fighters are you missing (remember that Fighters Awakened does not count Kirby or DLC)
Did you get all three endings
Does every subarea have a star
Did you clear out everything in the temple of light subarea, I don't know if they ever fixed the issue where it'd display a star even if you missed anything else you're just going to have to slow move the camera around the maps to seek out the remaining spirits

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Remember you can move the camera with the second stick. That lets you see which battle you may have missed. And as mentioned before, check for stars on subareas, otherwise you're not done with those.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Really thinking about selling this game. Playing online just ends up in me being frustrated and ready to throw my Switch against the wall. Especially people playing getaway and just throwing shit. Lose 4 times in a row, maybe win once. Maybe I shouldnt be playing 1v1 games.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Put some time into Luigi and hes really fun! His recovery is godlike and Super Jump Punch is actually pretty easy to land in this game. His weird floaty movement makes him strong in the air, and he's great for combos which I suck at but was still able to land plenty. Will definitely keep up with him.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a weird change: Inkling's rapid jab no longer lets you do 30+ combos in Training Mode. It just stops incrementing the combo counter once it starts up.

You can still use Ridley's jab to get 20+ hits, though.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Man I just went through an amazing losing streak. Especially with Ridley. I gotta play safer and get my combo game down. Been watching Tweek's Ridley and man that dude just knows how to play.

While labing and trying to figure out new things I realized why my C-Stick tilts don't register half the time. I used to keep my finger on the C-Stick trying to rabidly move it back and forth but now I realize that if I tap the stick in any direction and let go so it snaps back to neutral it registers just about every input.

In the Smash 4 days I played a lot of you guys and it helped my skill tremendously. I feel like i've played maybe 2 of you a hand full of times since launch. I check the discord ever so often but man it seems dead. I need some of you as sparring partners. Who needs me?!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My internet is so fucking unreliable. I'd love to go a few rounds with some of you. :(

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Made a return to Simon after my galaxy brain grasped the concept of air dodging before jumping, thereby significantly improving his terrible recovery.

I'm still not really good at precision attacks or dealing with faster characters but I think I'm getting the hang of him. He's all about using his specials to set up super strong whip attacks, everything building up to that one sweet spot FSmash and Holy Water combo. Short hop attacks are really useful since they come out so quickly but I need to nail the timing better so I don't whiff, and keeping the axe or cross out at all times is great for keeping people on their toes.

I wonder if I should try out Donkey Kong or Bowser, those characters who are beefy walls with wide, sweeping attacks. That might be more up my alley.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I knew something looked off about Bowser Jr since the last patch and here it is. Wrong car mouth on certain launched frames.
D5wm5a4UYAEyoyw.jpg:small

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd play, but my Internet is kinda naff. Maybe I'll upload some matches I played with some local friends at some point.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm available for some games today if you wanna play RomanceDawn

Sounds good! 5936-4189-3002

I just got home from work and errands but shoot me a pm(or is it dm now a'days?) when you are good and I will get it started.

Just got new internet so I'm excited to try it out. I've been using the same router and internet service provider since before Smash Wii U online. I can't believe the decent matches I was getting all this time but its time to move on.

It's really odd that with how well this game sold I expected to be playing with you all left and right constantly in comparison to Smash 3DU. But I guess back then I had less work and less children to get in the way. 3 cheers for getting older! Hip hip...

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Sounds good! 5936-4189-3002

I just got home from work and errands but shoot me a pm(or is it dm now a'days?) when you are good and I will get it started.

Just got new internet so I'm excited to try it out. I've been using the same router and internet service provider since before Smash Wii U online. I can't believe the decent matches I was getting all this time but its time to move on.

It's really odd that with how well this game sold I expected to be playing with you all left and right constantly in comparison to Smash 3DU. But I guess back then I had less work and less children to get in the way. 3 cheers for getting older! Hip hip...
I sent you a friend request, I have the next hour or so free.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nearly got Simon into Elite Smash and then I proceeded to run into all my worst matchups and lost 200k.

Feels bad.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Going through the voice clips actually showed something interesting, at least for me. For Joker's voice clips, they mention the other Phantom Theives in their respective voice clips, by their codenames no less (Ex: Skull, Panther, Mona, Fox, Queen, Oracle, Noir). If nothing else, at least Sakurai was consistent on that front, which I appreciate.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Going through the voice clips actually showed something interesting, at least for me. For Joker's voice clips, they mention the other Phantom Theives in their respective voice clips, by their codenames no less (Ex: Skull, Panther, Mona, Fox, Queen, Oracle, Noir). If nothing else, at least Sakurai was consistent on that front, which I appreciate.
I didn't know Morganna's code name (I thought he didn't have one) and was very confused by him being called "Mona" in sound test.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Also, someone made the Melee intro using Ultimate's video editor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLVNQm2NaSE
They did a lot with the limits of the game, the end segment in particular was very impressive

Though this does bring to light the ridiculous aspect that Sheik still doesn't have a harp
Sheik does two things in Ocarina and the most important is that harp! How is it not a taunt? Or a victory animation?

YL (& 64/Meleee Link) not having the ocarina as a taunt/victory is also weird but they also kind of pull double duty on other references to the series so I can kind of see why. But Sheik's Sheik! Aint nothing else there! You got deku nut vanishing and harps and that's it.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
They did a lot with the limits of the game, the end segment in particular was very impressive

Though this does bring to light the ridiculous aspect that Sheik still doesn't have a harp
Sheik does two things in Ocarina and the most important is that harp! How is it not a taunt? Or a victory animation?

YL (& 64/Meleee Link) not having the ocarina as a taunt/victory is also weird but they also kind of pull double duty on other references to the series so I can kind of see why. But Sheik's Sheik! Aint nothing else there! You got deku nut vanishing and harps and that's it.
Given the chance to give Sheik 2 additional taunts in Brawl, and they chose generic "cool ninja" poses.

It's weird.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to whine about how GSP distribution is fucked and how I lost like 100k to two losses to a player who had more than me, but instead I'll whine about how it's completely meaningless.

It has absolutely no value as a ranking system and the barrier to Elite is so arbitrary, but it's an incremental number that goes down if I fail and Elite Smash is all shiny and regal, so I feel compelled to keep going and run away from legitimate challenges for fear of losing more, instead trying to prey on players who repeatedly lose to me. I remember I had multiple rematches with this Cloud and I distinctly remember thinking "aw yeah this is a GSP goldmine" and how fucked up is that?

Thank god I don't play mobile games. I'd be such a whale.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
My Ridley made it back to Elite but today I played an Epic Mega Man who just took me down like 35 notches. 7-1 but it was worth it for the experience. Oh and Yesterday I played a Shiek that was doing things I never imaged. I think people are sleeping on her and one day will surprise some folks.

I don't mind playing others who refuse to back down even if I'm clearly the superior player and do enjoy the "free" GSP. I figure if they want to keep going they are probably a bit like me and just want to learn the match up/playstyle of my opponent to get better.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Trainer month begins

As expected, Squirtle is basically completely redone. Even the similar animations are touched up a lot with extra animations or slight tweaks.
I'm surprised they changed the crawl animation like they did...wonder if that's a gamefreak request, I don't think squirtles are really seen on all fours otherwise.

also doubles as a pokemon trainer comparison since he's out in the background the whole time

e: If people had noticed how many of the animations no longer go into the shell during prerelease people would have taken this as proof we'd be getting a squirtle echo

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Squirtle is a QT

Looks like he was pretty much remade from scratch to use more water, less shell and more cuteness. Also what the heck were they doing with Squirtle's water gun in Brawl, he finally has his proper Squirtle water gun animation that was in like 40 episodes of the anime. He basically just vomited it out in Brawl...

8bb4b9f4cbb4c8e237994531b83379589f660e7e_hq.gif

It's kind of weird he doesn't spit up water on his side taunt, anymore, though. One thing that was arguably done a bit better in Brawl for Squirtle.

His new walk and run animations are perfect.

Also video has LEAKED footage of the Ivysaur video in it!

Bit of a shame he didn't include Squirtle's unique footstool victim animation. He flips over if you footstool him during his side special. I'm pretty sure that was in Brawl.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
hot take: as a whole, Brawl's veterans looked much better than its newcomers

I miss some of the old shell animations and the cartwheeling out of double jump, but otherwise Squirtle is a straight upgrade. Better colors, better face, better voice, better water, more fluid (heh) animations, more personality - that slow toddle and wannabe Naruto run are just adorable

also, I very much appreciate Sakurai's comment in the last photo contest about how it's not much of a first journey when you have three starters and two are evolved

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Squirtle is a QT

Looks like he was pretty much remade from scratch to use more water, less shell and more cuteness. Also what the heck were they doing with Squirtle's water gun in Brawl, he finally has his proper Squirtle water gun animation that was in like 40 episodes of the anime. He basically just vomited it out in Brawl...

8bb4b9f4cbb4c8e237994531b83379589f660e7e_hq.gif

It's kind of weird he doesn't spit up water on his side taunt, anymore, though. One thing that was arguably done a bit better in Brawl for Squirtle.

His new walk and run animations are perfect.

Also video has LEAKED footage of the Ivysaur video in it!

Bit of a shame he didn't include Squirtle's unique footstool victim animation. He flips over if you footstool him during his side special. I'm pretty sure that was in Brawl.
I can't blame him too much for missing the footstool, I think everyone has a unique animation but it's kind of a pain to set up and easy to forget it even exists

hot take: as a whole, Brawl's veterans looked much better than its newcomers
Mmm I dunno.
Meta Knight, Diddy Kong, Ike, Zero Suit, Snake, Wario, Lucas, Olimar, ROB...I'd say all those look on par or better depending on the character.
Pit's aged a bit poorly in the face, but the over all quality of his model is pretty up to snuff.
Toon Link tried his best considering the aesthetic Brawl was going for.
Wolf would have looked fantastic if his model wasn't held together on hopes & prayers.
Dedede's face really brings his quality down, but on the whole I think only Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon are ones noticably less than great.
also, I very much appreciate Sakurai's comment in the last photo contest about how it's not much of a first journey when you have three starters and two are evolved
I hope someone is chronicling the comments because I'm pretty sure these nwesposts have a low shelf life and the twitter we use to see them in advance doesn't have full message details

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I hope someone is chronicling the comments because I'm pretty sure these nwesposts have a low shelf life and the twitter we use to see them in advance doesn't have full message details
The page the game accesses is already on archive.org. Check it out https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/en-US/index.html
Which speaking of hidden URLs, I think the Spirit images in the Switch app are higher quality than the ones in the game. Does anyone have those to compare?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I can't blame him too much for missing the footstool, I think everyone has a unique animation but it's kind of a pain to set up and easy to forget it even exists
Squirtle has a very unique footstool. If you footstool him while he's using Withdraw, he flips over and struggles to get back up. It's actually a mechanic exclusive to Squirtle and Withdraw. It even makes the Koopa noise and paralyzes Squirtle for a few seconds.

It's not a big deal that it wasn't included, but it's a little niche mechanic that would probably have a slight animation tweak between the games

Not related to animation changes, but I believe Squirtle is the smallest character in the game

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
The page the game accesses is already on archive.org. Check it out https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/en-US/index.html
Which speaking of hidden URLs, I think the Spirit images in the Switch app are higher quality than the ones in the game. Does anyone have those to compare?
Oh cool, good to know

As for spirits,, they've all been ripped on the spriter's resource https://www.spriters-resource.com/nintendo_switch/supersmashbrosultimate/

Squirtle has a very unique footstool. If you footstool him while he's using Withdraw, he flips over and struggles to get back up. It's actually a mechanic exclusive to Squirtle and Withdraw. It even makes the Koopa noise and paralyzes Squirtle for a few seconds.

It's not a big deal that it wasn't included, but it's a little niche mechanic that would probably have a slight animation tweak between the games

Not related to animation changes, but I believe Squirtle is the smallest character in the game

ohhhhh yeah, i forgot about that

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, sometimes you get a strangely creative stock, I was amazed that it played out as well as it did, and I did get both these stocks.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have to really give credit to Sakurai's design of the Belmonts. He took the well known difficulty spike of Castlevania 1's push back by damage, fall down and die; and made his their major weakness. I hate and love it at the same time.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017