• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Was expecting the lamest Top 8 match. Got the second time people were happy to see Belmonts

Oct 25, 2017
Need some help.

Is there a thread just for World of Light?

Through a combination of my own feelings towards Smash Bros, this mode, my ageing weary body and mind (seriously, this is Danny Glover/Mel Gibson levels of 'I'm too old for this shit') I'm journeying through this mode and one day I love it, other days I hate it.

I just got
Ryu.

Having been
running around with no idea where to go, I have criss-crossed the map and only really began taking it seriously recently.

My main issue is I'm unlocking people I really have no skill with, and they are mostly light-weights as well. I'm traditionally leaning towards the heavier characters.

I do appreciate - and have been - being able to skill up with some fighters I lack experience with, but as my mini-goals are characters I am comfortable with I'm having a bit of a balancing act.

This is before I even ask my questions about spirit cards.

Thanks!

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

I thought Sheik would be next, but nope, Young Link

Young Link's gimmick seems to be "let's keep him as close as humanely possible to how he was in Melee"

Although some animations seem to have been tweaked to better look like Ocarina of Tie's animations, notably his run and walk animations

seeing Melee next to Ultimate is so jarring

Looking forward to Pichu way down the line. That'll be a hoot.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Need some help.

Through a combination of my own feelings towards Smash Bros, this mode, my ageing weary body and mind (seriously, this is Danny Glover/Mel Gibson levels of 'I'm too old for this shit') I'm journeying through this mode and one day I love it, other days I hate it.

I just got
Ryu.

Having been
running around with no idea where to go, I have criss-crossed the map and only really began taking it seriously recently.

My main issue is I'm unlocking people I really have no skill with, and they are mostly light-weights as well. I'm traditionally leaning towards the heavier characters.

I do appreciate - and have been - being able to skill up with some fighters I lack experience with, but as my mini-goals are characters I am comfortable with I'm having a bit of a balancing act.

Thanks!
What question are yous asking here, exactly?

e: Oh is it just if there's a dedicated thread? No, just ask away here.

Oct 25, 2017
What question are yous asking here, exactly?

e: Oh is it just if there's a dedicated thread? No, just ask away here.

Awesome.

Is there a guide for best spirit card combos/characters for some of these battles where I end saying 'screw it' and putting the game down for a week?

The fact I don't know who might just be out of the corner of map viewable on the screen, or behind that cloud is the best and worst thing.

Also I have one more coloured gate to open for that far-left hand side mountain. What's so important about it?

Yes I already have Bowser.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Need some help.

I just got
Ryu.

Having been

Thanks!
name the characters you like to play as the most and I can give you a hint about how far you might be from them

Awesome.

Is there a guide for best spirit card combos/characters for some of these battles where I end saying 'screw it' and putting the game down for a week?

The fact I don't know who might just be out of the corner of map viewable on the screen, or behind that cloud is the best and worst thing.

Also I have one more coloured gate to open for that far-left hand side mountain. What's so important about it?

here's a spirit combo that's easy to acquire and which trivializes World of Light even on Hard mode. In a nutshell, if you were to use this combo, you could take any character you have unlocked, and use them to beat 75% of WOL's spirits literally without trying:

Primary: Black Knight (#664-#665 | 2 support slots | ARMOR KNIGHT)

To acquire Black Knight, you must first acquire the Zelguis spirit, and then, level Zelgius up to 99, and 'Enhance' him, transforming him into Black Knight. Zelgius is a Spirit Board spirit, so in order to acquire Zelguis, you must first 'spawn' Zelguis on the spirit board. This is very easy to do - utilize the Primary Spirits Only item on Spirit Board until he shows up. If you already have a couple hundred spirits, then this should only take a small handful of tries to do. Maybe 3 or 4 tries. 10 max, and it's more than worth the expenditure of Primary Spirits Only items, since Black Knight's effect is overpowered. (FWIW this is an easy way to get any spirit in the game that appears on the Spirit Board, since the Spirit Board prioritizes spirits you don't already have.)

Black Knight's ARMOR KNIGHT effect massively increases your offensive and defensive power in exchange for a massive decrease in speed. Combos well with dojos that increase offense, defense, and jump height.

Secondary: Polar Bear OR Regigigas OR Walhart (#608, #511, #673 | 2 slots required | SUPER ARMOR)

To acquire Walhart, you can fight him on the rocky, arid subsection of World of Light map 1, where he is found immediately north of the bridge that leads to the Right Half of map 1. Walhart is the easiest to acquire, but you can acquire Polar Bear before Walhart, depending on how you've explored.

To acquire Polar Bear, you can fight him on the icy mountain subsection of World of Light map 1, or summon him from the Summon menu by dismissing Bewear and Freezie. You are likely to already have this one.

Regigigas is a late-game WoL acquisition and I will not spoil where or how you pick Regigigas up. You'll wanna grab Walhart or Polar Bear, instead.

These three support spirits share the SUPER ARMOR effect, which, in a nutshell, allows your character to eat any attack from an opponent without being launched or stunned, all the way up to around 80% damage - in exchange for even more of your Speed. That means that with Super Armor, as long as you're not hurt much, you can ready a Smash Attack or throw yourself right at your opponent with a risky move, and if your opponent attacks you, you'll... keep on keeping on. You'll smash right through their attack, as though they've done nothing.

SUPER ARMOR combos insanely well with ARMOR KNIGHT, because thanks to AK, your enemies will be doing basically no damage to you with each attack, so you'll rarely if ever reach the damage threshold where SA begins to fail. In addition, AK will make your attacks do massive damage when they land, so fights will end quickly... as long as the enemy spirit isn't trying to avoid you.

Now, the tradeoff to all of this is that you'll barely be able to move. Both of these spirits will cripple your ability to move and to jump (so it's good to utilize a character with an excellent recovery or a character who has a move that 'moves' them, like DeDeDe's down tilt rolling attack, or Link's forward sword jump slash, because those moves don't slow down like general movement speed does). As a result, there are a few spirit battles among the bunch that render this particular combo non-viable. Those will include battles where the entire map imbues a status effect, battles where the enemy spirit is trying to avoid you, and a small handful of spirit battles where you're fighting an assist trophy that's fucking your shit up from all the way across the map. I've found that you can compensate in many cases by trading off a little of that additional offense and defense for speed via a dojo, or by temporarily swapping out the primary or support spirit for a spirit that is immune to the effect that's in play.

It's the best early-game combo IMO because it lets you wipe most spirit battles in a few seconds with a couple of well-timed attacks. There are also other spirit combos that are really good for specific situations - you can double up on damage trade-off spirits to begin fights with 60% damage and extreme buffs, or use a support spirit available to you later in WOL to heal massive amounts of damage quickly (helps for long boss fights)

Last edited:

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Am I stupid or is the reply/record function janky af? You can't fast foward or go back?
i always figured it was because the replays are just an actual match recreating the inputs which is why you cant skip ahead or turn back unlss you convert it into a video file

But I'm not familiar with how replays are done in other fighting games so maybe Smash is just that janky

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
Why doesn't quickplay alternate the rulesets back and forth? It's random which ruleset is used, but I can't imagine a reason for not having it so that if you rematch, the other person's ruleset will be used.

You want to fight me in a 3 min timed battle that you camp the entire last minute of on a smash stage? Fine, I just want my opportunity in a three-stock on battlefield afterwards. Don't random this up, game. I shouldn't have to play my opponent's ruleset twice in a row.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see Cosmos go out a bit early in Top 8, but fifth place is nothing to scoff at either. He's improving and pushing the Inkling meta.

Top 8 was hype overall. Congrats to Tweek and Wario.

What were you guys watching?

Also is Zero still retired? He hasn't been playing in any tournaments has he?
Frostbite 2019.

The only major ZeRo's gone to is Smash Conference United back in early January, where he placed 9th. He hasn't gone to any S-tier tournament or national, but I think he's going to attend EVO.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
seeing Melee next to Ultimate is so jarring

Looking forward to Pichu way down the line. That'll be a hoot.
Pichu at least has a bunch of new animations, Young Link is basically 1:1 from Melee, except with a new ledge get up attack and a slightly different rapid jab animation.

It seems YL was designed in Ultimate specifically to have no major changes from Melee. I guess that's what Sakurai figured would work best and make YL stand out next to Toon Link.

What ended up happening is people kinda forgot Toon Link is in the game, and they only use Young Link heh

dntk

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Racist trolling; account still in junior phase.
I'm white. Is it legal to create black mii character in super smash brothers ultimate? Will it be considered as digital black face?

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I thought Sheik would be next, but nope, Young Link

Young Link's gimmick seems to be "let's keep him as close as humanely possible to how he was in Melee"

Although some animations seem to have been tweaked to better look like Ocarina of Tie's animations, notably his run and walk animations

this'll be easier to tell when we get a video for Toon Link, but from what I can see of Young Link's animations, he's still derived from Link

it was suggesting that he'd be based on Toon Link in this game, but judging by things like his grounded upB, I think the different proportions of Toon Link would've made that difficult

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
this'll be easier to tell when we get a video for Toon Link, but from what I can see of Young Link's animations, he's still derived from Link

it was suggesting that he'd be based on Toon Link in this game, but judging by things like his grounded upB, I think the different proportions of Toon Link would've made that difficult
I was actually curious as to who he was based on. I actually did believe he was derivative of Toon Link, but maybe not.

Funny enough, Toon Link's Up Special animation seems to resemble YL's Melee animation more than YL's

YL being taller might also be a side effect of using Link as a base. Given the changes to Link in Ultimate, though, maybe YL is actually based on Smash 4 Link, and not Ultimate's Link

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Awesome.

Here's my tips for you to go through this:
- Don't be scared of swapping to easy if there's a certain battle you can't manage. Some of those fights are unreasonably difficult. The only thing you lose out on is a bit of gold/SP, which, you know, eh.
- Don't bother with 4-star spirit fights until you have a maxed out at least 3-star spirit, preferably a 4-star spirit, yourself.
- Pick out your strongest spirit with 3 slots, and equip Giant Zapfish (you get that in the powerplant) and something that increases the power of your attacks (Victini, for instance, or Flying Squirrel Toad, or if you have a spirit that turns you to metal, that'll work too). Giant just absolutely destroys most spirit fights, especially in combination with a big character that has strong smashes like Bowser (in fact Bowser is my go-to for spirit fights nowadays).
- Only swap those power-based support spirits out if you are on a stage with shitty stage hazards like strong wind or lava floor. Some other hazards like poison or ice shouldn't be much of a problem as long as you let the AI come to you.
- Since you already recruited Ryu, you should have the M. Bison spirit. Power it up to 99 asap, preferably with food. That is the one that carried me through the vast majority of WoL. If you get James McCloud and Geno later on, you'll be set for the remainder of WoL.

As for your question regarding the coloured gates in the Northwestern corner, once you open them all, you get access to another sub area to clear out.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York

[This news is about an event held in Japan only, but you might be interested in checking out the comments from Mr Sakurai!] Round 1 of the Smash Art Dojo contest was held a few days back, with players competing by posting funny snapshots using the #スマブラ画 hashtag. There are also comments from the game's director, Masahiro Sakurai!
(his comments haven't been posted yet)

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Pichu at least has a bunch of new animations, Young Link is basically 1:1 from Melee, except with a new ledge get up attack and a slightly different rapid jab animation.

It seems YL was designed in Ultimate specifically to have no major changes from Melee. I guess that's what Sakurai figured would work best and make YL stand out next to Toon Link.

What ended up happening is people kinda forgot Toon Link is in the game, and they only use Young Link heh
Well that and his walk/run (Like you mentioned before) and his...dizzy animation??

But even if Pichu didn't have new animations it'd still be hilarious to see because like, okay. YL in Melee still looks pretty spot on to Young Link's appearence in everything up tto & including Ultiamte. There's more detail but toe to tip, that's a young link.

Melee Pichu is like a bootleg Pichu
Pichu_SSBM.jpg

And that's in comparison to Pichu's original artwork, not just his newer proportions
150px-PichuArtwork.png

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Well that and his walk/run (Like you mentioned before) and his...dizzy animation??

But even if Pichu didn't have new animations it'd still be hilarious to see because like, okay. YL in Melee still looks pretty spot on to Young Link's appearence in everything up tto & including Ultiamte. There's more detail but toe to tip, that's a young link.

Melee Pichu is like a bootleg Pichu
Pichu_SSBM.jpg

And that's in comparison to Pichu's original artwork, not just his newer proportions
150px-PichuArtwork.png
My favorite animation update to Pichu is that he has an actual run animation and doesn't just vibrate on the ground

Pichu in Melee was weird looking

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Does anyone had any advice for how to follow the Smash Ultimate scene in Japan? Watching Frostbite has really reinforced the fact for me that Japan is home to an amazing array of top players, so many of whom are clearly the best in the world at their character.

So I would really like to be able to keep up with the scene over there. Does anyone have any good resources for learning about upcoming tournaments, and watching tournaments live? I'm in roughly the same time zone as Japan, so it would be easy for me to watch live, I just don't know how to find info about what events are happening when. Any help would be appreciated!

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sorry if this is a silly question.

How come stale moves is an option in training, but not when creating a Smash ruleset? Is stale moves on by default?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry if this is a silly question.

How come stale moves is an option in training, but not when creating a Smash ruleset? Is stale moves on by default?
Stale moves is not an option you can disable. It's in training mode purely so you have an option to see your move's true damage at any given point

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Likig Mr. Game and Watch forward air now. Only playing against computers but its so easy to spam and edge guard with it.

Ability to spam Judgement when you're 2 stocking is nice too.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's probably placebo but it just feels like they just altered medium setting for items since I noticed that we didn't really get much items as much as it did before.

Also they FINALLY fixed the issues for Super Mario Maker and Balloon Fights stages where we couldn't able to get randomized layouts for SMM and another layout for Balloon Fight.

I was very glad that I would able to play on completely different layout for Super Mario Maker and second layout for Ice Climbers (Orange version) online.

Last edited:

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's probably placebo but it just feels like they just altered medium setting for items since I noticed that we didn't really get much items as much as it did before.

Also they FINALLY fixed the issues for Super Mario Maker and Balloon Fights stages where we couldn't able to get randomized layouts for SMM and another layout for Balloon Fight.

I was very glad that I would able to play on completely different layout for Super Mario Maker and second layout for Ice Climbers (Orange version) online.
I didn't realize those were issues with those stages, but I suppose with so many stages in the game it doesnt come up much.

Now will they ever fix the alternate costume issue