• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
wario looking absolutely beastly right now

has a ton of tools and that waft is proving to be a game changer

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
64's box art was so good. Before they went with the detailed 3D look.
I hope the next smash gets a big shake up in visual style in that way and make the story more like the original Toy Story/Imagination battle theme and less of this Tabuu and Galeem shite. Treating them all like real people, including characters like Mr G&W fighting for their souls/lives against abstract god bosses always felt like Sakurai just really wants to make a separate Jrpg but hes stuck making smash forever.
I think that the faux-seriousness is part of the series' charm and identity at this point.
Like is it ridiculous that Mr. Game & Watch is fighting for everyone's souls or "doesn't know the difference between good and evil"? Yes. That's the joke!
brawl had an over the top latin choir opening set to things like olimar running across the stage or pikachu waving hello or the existence of luigi doing goofy shit.
Half the smash 4 trailers took place in a gritty barren canyon but also had things like olimar comically throwing his red pikmin at a charizard or the koopalings menacingly looming over everyone or coins flying out of mario as a metal blade grazes him.
Reality breaks apart and inside the rip you do things like a silly quiz through a distored area or go to Kraid's dojo.

That dichotomy is smash bros at this point

e: I suppose they could keep that dichotomy while also going back to the toy-aesthetic, but I'd say that with Smash 4 & kind of ultimate they already did that. They really pulled back on the extraneous details on everything. It's still there, but it's not 100% Triple HD Hyper Realistic Denim textures anymore, you know?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I think that the faux-seriousness is part of the series' charm and identity at this point.
Like is it ridiculous that Mr. Game & Watch is fighting for everyone's souls or "doesn't know the difference between good and evil"? Yes. That's the joke!
brawl had an over the top latin choir opening set to things like olimar running across the stage or pikachu waving hello or the existence of luigi doing goofy shit.
Half the smash 4 trailers took place in a gritty barren canyon but also had things like olimar comically throwing his red pikmin at a charizard or the koopalings menacingly looming over everyone or coins flying out of mario as a metal blade grazes him.
Reality breaks apart and inside the rip you do things like a silly quiz through a distored area or go to Kraid's dojo.

That dichotomy is smash bros at this point

e: I suppose they could keep that dichotomy while also going back to the toy-aesthetic, but I'd say that with Smash 4 & kind of ultimate they already did that. They really pulled back on the extraneous details on everything. It's still there, but it's not 100% Triple HD Hyper Realistic Denim textures anymore, you know?

I was thinking more Lego Movie style, where its self aware that everything is made of Lego but still tells an interesting and charming story. It really fits the anything goes -everyone from different dimensions are fighting together in a ridiculous crossover. They did some of that in the funnier cutscenes of Subspace like with captain falcon accidentally squashing some pikmin, before the plot went in that direction which felt condescendingly serious, like even more so than Mickey Mouse in Kingdom Hearts "Say Fellas, I heard you talking about the door to darkness!" *serious face*.

Remember Brawl in the Family? That kind of crossover wackiness fits the concept of Super Smash so well

Last edited:

Deleted member 42641

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Okay this is killing me now

Every single time I play online, I will have literally no lag at all and then at some random moment It be at a deadstop load for a bit and then going back to being lagless and then the match will randomly get a disconnected. Almost every single time I play online now. After the first update for smash online worked really well for me and now I literally can not play online

Am I the only one having this problem ??

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
Incineroar is my absolute favorite to play, he hits so hard and love his taunts. But what I start to notice that i find annoying is his taunt animations after he lands a hit. This has screwed me over a couple of times when in mid-air since i can't seem to get back to the ledge cuz he's still pumping his fists...

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alright new player here, Little Mac main. Any good tips? 62K GSP atm and struggling

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
After 60+ hours of playing locally/arenas with my brother, friend and cousin I've finally decided to jump back into regular quick match online.

Out of the 15 or so matches I played, they have almost all been lag free. All the matches I've played against my brother and cousin (who I'd at least consider very good, we are all pretty evenly matched) seems to have paid off and I won something like 90% of the matches I played using Ganondorf and managed to get into Elite Smash with him pretty easily. First match in elite smash was against an Inkling and it was hard as fuck but I managed to take the win thanks to some good use of forward airs.

Looking forward to playing some more later but I have a feeling I'm going to be encountering a lot of top tier characters in it.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
So I'm suffering a lot of lag online.
I bought my Switch in the UK, and that's what my online store setting is, but I currently live in Thailand. Could it be that the Switch thinks I'm still in the UK and is matching me with UK peeps. I've got a Union Jack on my tag. Can I change this setting?

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
What are the rewards for finishing the Online challenges? I have not used any of my hammers so I'm thinking of using them there, but I don't have enough to use on the entire board and I don't wanna open an online account just for this.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
What are the rewards for finishing the Online challenges? I have not used any of my hammers so I'm thinking of using them there, but I don't have enough to use on the entire board and I don't wanna open an online account just for this.
Just currencies and consumable items for spirits. Nothing unique.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
People who close their arenas after they lose should be excommunicated from the Smash Community

Waiting 5ish minutes for another fight or for the current fight to end (so you can close the arena) isn't going to kill you

Mar 9, 2018
It sucks arenas even work like that. There should be some way of transferring "ownership" of the arena to the other players that remain.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
That was one weird arena, though, I have to say

4 people

Palutena
Palutena
Palutena
Wolf (me)

All three Palutena were using the default color

It was like I accidentally dropped into a Palutena cult meeting or something

Also apparently the game doesn't darken/lighten a character when two players use the same color anymore? It didn't happen when I was watching their games. It made it very hard to follow the match.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

4 people

Palutena
Palutena
Palutena
Wolf (me)

Also apparently the game doesn't darken/lighten a character when two players use the same color anymore? It didn't happen when I was watching their games. It made it very hard to follow the match.
I was going to say it's in the options but that's for team matches and applies to any character you're partnered with

That is weird.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

4 people

Palutena
Palutena
Palutena
Wolf (me)

you would think that if the game was going to forcibly change your alt color for any reason, it'd be in cases like this

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do I avoid whiffing 90% of my attacks in the wrong direction lol. Feels like turning about face is hard

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do I avoid whiffing 90% of my attacks in the wrong direction lol. Feels like turning about face is hard
Don't press any direction, before you land with a reverse aerial. It is the Buffer System, which keeps the backwards input and turns you around. It just needs practice, but it also helps you making frame perfect inputs.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't press any direction, before you land with a reverse aerial. It is the Buffer System, which keeps the backwards input and turns you around. It just needs practice, but it also helps you making frame perfect inputs.

Whats a reverse aerial? This is my first Smash game btw

Also, any good guides for Little Mac?

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Anyone occasionally have issues with their controller disconnecting in the middle of an online match? It's happened a few times, both with a pro controller and in handheld mode. It's very infuriating because the way you re-sync the controller is tedious, and on top of that, there's no clear reason on *why* it DC'd. The battery is charged.

It happens maybe 3 times a week. Losing a match due to it sucks.

Oct 27, 2017
Finally made it to Elite Smash with K Rool, who I've been using a lot in the past couple of days. eEther I'm pretty good with him, or everyone is good with K Rool lol. Sad part is, most of my characters have awful GSP scores.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Oh looks like there's a little more from that interview.

It sounds really interesting, I hope it gets fully translated soon.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Oh looks like there's a little more from that interview.

It sounds really interesting, I hope it gets fully translated soon.

That camping idea doesn't sound too great to me (which is probably why they didn't go forward with it). I really need a fully translated version of this interview, as i'm sure there are some small details left out in the short summary notes we have.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
New to Smash...

In World of Light, how do I change my active character? I don't get the party menu for that at all.

Edit

I got it... the UI is weird.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
That camping idea doesn't sound too great to me (which is probably why they didn't go forward with it). I really need a fully translated version of this interview, as i'm sure there are some small details left out in the short summary notes we have.
I could see the thought process that would lead to them considering the idea - imagine getting a stage like Palutena's Temple online and someone playing Pichu just chills on the other side of the map while a bunch of slowbies spend hours getting kited.

But yeah, it's a good thing that they didn't go through with it just because it probably would've been exploitable or inconsistent.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So is the community just sort of...okay with how shitty the online is?

I'm a newcomer to Nintendo online but holy fucking shit this is like...late 90's era level internet gaming. Why does it feel like the already noticeable input lag in the game just gets doubled? It feels awful to play.

I'm glad my friend is paying for the family plan we all use because I would be genuinely infuriated if I had spent actual money on this online sub. I'm already pissed I paid for the ethernet adapter, that should have probably been my first warning sign that Nintendo gives 0 shits about their online service...

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

I'm a newcomer to Nintendo online but holy fucking shit this is like...late 90's era level internet gaming. Why does it feel like the already noticeable input lag in the game just gets doubled? It feels awful to play.

I'm glad my friend is paying for the family plan we all use because I would be genuinely infuriated if I had spent actual money on this online sub. I'm already pissed I paid for the ethernet adapter, that should have probably been my first warning sign that Nintendo gives 0 shits about their online service...
No but it's all we have so like
not alot of choice in the matter

Metallia

May 31, 2018
Elite Smash is so frustrating when I think about it. I got a character I never play into it by winning three or four games, but because I've played so much of my mains (Palutena and Ridley) it takes a 10 win streak to get back with them. On top of that, I almost don't want to play them when I get them there because of the extremely high likelihood of losing since the people there are so much better.

People have been vocal about it, and the general opinion among the community is that there needs to be a lot of improvement. Very early on the game wouldn't weigh your preferred rules as much and this was changed after a reasonable amount of demand, so there's that at least, but when it comes to more intricate or service based things, we can only wait and see.

Otherwise there really isn't anything anyone can do about it on their end beyond buy an ethernet adapter. So people just deal with it if they want to play online.

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No but it's all we have so like
not alot of choice in the matter
People have been vocal about it, and the general opinion among the community is that there needs to be a lot of improvement. Very early on the game wouldn't weigh your preferred rules as much and this was changed after a reasonable amount of demand, so there's that at least, but when it comes to more intricate or service based things, we can only wait and see.

Otherwise there really isn't anything anyone can do about it on their end beyond buy an ethernet adapter. So people just deal with it if they want to play online.

I see.

I hope they continue to work on it then because it really feels bad to play right now.

Honestly if they focus on cutting down the input lag overall it would be nice

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoooo boy. They gotta fix the rage quit penalties. Just got hit with a 30 minute penalty because a 4 player game was just a slideshow so I dropped out. Great.

rzmunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Hello just starting to play smash.

What layout can you recommend to begginers? Im trying to get good.
I read about disabling up jump, and right stick tilt. Where do I put jump.

And how do I practice agains the AI in different lvls off difficulty? Or is there a guide to get better?

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And how do I practice agains the AI in different lvls off difficulty? Or is there a guide to get better?

For my money, the default layout for ABXY and the shoulder buttons is just fine. Though some people prefer futzing with them for their own reasons.

As for getting better, I really can't offer much myself in terms of links to guides or anything, but I can just say don't worry about memorizing techniques or stuff like that at the beginning. Smash kind of epitomizes the idea of progressing in skill through regular play. Just get the basics of jumping, attacking, and shielding down and honestly the rest will come naturally. That's what I've been doing all these years anyway :<

Also once you get a good grip on what Smash is like, have a go at the roster in general. There are so many characters and so many ways to play. They all feel distinct in their own ways while still sticking to the basics of how to Smash.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017

There's a lot of tips in the help area (for everything you can imagine), be sure to check those out. As far as actual practice, making it through World of Light would probably be a good starter. You'll get to see every character and a lot of items, and face some really difficult challenges, all while having some fun unlocking stuff. It will help instill you with the fundamentals.

The main thing, IMO, is just playing.

As far as layout, I dunno. I just use the default pro controller layout and I've been fine. Can't really get a handle on the short hops but other than that it's OK.

Tallshortman

Oct 29, 2017
Are the online issues, notably lag, I heard about at launch fixed? I'm close to buying a Switch and Smash would definitely be one of the reasons I'd get one but I almost never do local multiplayer.

EDIT: Just read the post a few posts up... so I guess not.

Mar 9, 2018
Good gawd, King K. Rool is such a delight in this game. The way he moves, his animations, his attacks, he is the luckiest CGI crocodile replaced in his own series that has ever lived!

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I hate stamina battles against multiple enemies on World of Light, nothing else I can do other than to git gud. I wish Zelda was playable sooner, from the very few I have unlocked Sheik is the only one I can somewhat use but I keep killing myself doing divekicks lol, it's hard to be a newbie I tell you.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh

I'm so frustrated I'm legitimately tearing up, like, how do you fucking play this game

In most fighting games, I feel easily like I can connect my normals. They might block or counter, but the point is, I can perform the very basic function of stepping close to them, punching, and it connecting with their hitbox. In Smash, I can't even get within five feet of my opponent without accidentally dashing, flinging a punch in the wrong direction, or something else. It's like there's a completely different basic skillset required I have none of, and it's exhausting and depressing to falcon kick off a ledge when I was just trying to jab them.

I dash when I want to walk, walk when I want to run, and run when I want to dash. It's like 20 years of gaming means nothing because I've never played a Smash game, and I can't figure out how to stop being so awkward just moving around the stage.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Tips for fighting link on a final destination stages against link? I just get projectile spammed with no real way to get in. Playing as Ness.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Ugh

I'm so frustrated I'm legitimately tearing up, like, how do you fucking play this game

In most fighting games, I feel easily like I can connect my normals. They might block or counter, but the point is, I can perform the very basic function of stepping close to them, punching, and it connecting with their hitbox. In Smash, I can't even get within five feet of my opponent without accidentally dashing, flinging a punch in the wrong direction, or something else. It's like there's a completely different basic skillset required I have none of, and it's exhausting and depressing to falcon kick off a ledge when I was just trying to jab them.

I dash when I want to walk, walk when I want to run, and run when I want to dash. It's like 20 years of gaming means nothing because I've never played a Smash game, and I can't figure out how to stop being so awkward just moving around the stage.

Try messing with stick sensitivity, there's a few tweaks you can make to it, some say it's unnoticeable but a lot of other folk do feel a difference.

As for input mistakes, do you have tilt attacks on c-stick/right joycon stick? You can dash-let go of the stick- and easily and consistently perform them.

Tips for fighting link on a final destination stages against link? I just get projectile spammed with no real way to get in. Playing as Ness.

Doesn't Ness has the ability to eat projectiles?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Alright new player here, Little Mac main. Any good tips? 62K GSP atm and struggling
I'm a Mac main too. With around 500 quickplay matches with him and although my GSP tends to bounce up and down a lot, I have had it above 3 mil several times (including now).
Mac is a lot easier to play than people realize. His aerials and throws are essentially usless so you don't need to bother with them. Up special sucks, you basically need to completely thread the needle to land it and it leaves you open big time when you're on the way down so don't bother unless you really need to platform poke when someone is camping on a higher platform. Neutral special isn't as powerful as you would think and it takes forever to charge, however a lot of people online don't play Mac so they don't know you can reverse it, really only use it to reverse it and surprise some people. Outside of that, it's cause more trouble than it's worth.
Your bread and butter will really be side b, smash attacks and forward tilt with some dash attacks thrown in. Down Smash hits heavy on both sides and even KO's while being buried, maybe Mac's best punch. Up smash kills consistently and can get platform poke. Use it to punish sloppy recoveries. In fact, do not let most characters recover without tossing an up smash at them. Inkling has a hitbox as they're landing so avoid. Yoshi can down b which also has a weird hitbox after landing so avoid too.
Mac's aren't very common online so people tend to be surprised by his power and how he can tank so many attacks with his armor. Down Smash can kill off ledges and kills some characters as they're up b'ing to the ledge like ROB provided the spacing and timing are on point.
Some other things are that his counter is garbage and whiffs a lot. It's probably the worst counter in the game. However, it perfectly knocks Chrom out of his up b. So if you time it right on the ledge, it will gimp Chrom to death at any % every single time. I deal with Chrom players easily cause of this.
Also, KO punch needs around 35% damage to KO SHW. Pretty much everyone else will die at 25% . You don't always need to land KO punch for it to be effective. It's a good mind game to play with people off stage and I've spooked players into gimping their own recoveries a number of times cause they're afraid to deal with KO punch on stage.
Last thing is you need to accept Mac will always be inconsistent even if you're very good with him. His recovery is too big of a weakness to win every match against good players. They will camp the stage corners to try and gimp and you will die at early % very often. If you accept that you will be much better