• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Classic is seriously a joy in this game. Such a great way to learn each character. The themed campaigns keep things interesting.

Mar 9, 2018
Shulk's range and speed is probably why Dedede has trouble with Shulk.

Ultimate's Dedede is better than Smash 4's, but Shulk in speed mode is simply too fast for all but one (two if you count forward throw) of his kill moves to connect without heavy turtling and hard reads. So basically you up-tilt at like 150% or maybe you get a lucky spike low off the edge, which is very risky. Everything else is too slow because Shulk can just counter it or run away or use his stupid air hitboxes. And once Shulk gets you in the air it's pretty much over.
Wow.

2ad665.jpg

How could you do this, Sakurai? To your own child.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or are the level 9 CPUs terrible? Some character unlock fights were harder than this for crying out loud.
The CPU seems utterly random in this one, I can go squad strike against a team of 9's and not even lose three characters.
Meanwhile I tend to leave the CPU on lvl6 while getting to grips with the roster and I've had some of them punk me out, earlier today lvl 6 Dedede was a combo machine.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, playing Wolf on the Star Fox stages makes me want to dust off the WiiU and play Star Fox Zero.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
How do you grind them? I feel like I just get the ones everyone gets by playing the spirit matches you needed to advance.
I initially did WoL and then clear any spaces that don't say "Clear" on the top left corner. If every spirit was clear I'd the use items to reset the spaces. I know I still need to do 60ish Classic games for those spirits.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, seriously? Like equipping a Castlevania spirit on Richter gives him bonus stats? Is that true?
Yup. The effect is slightly boosted when equipping a same series spirit to the fighter. Not sure how much better the effect is, but there is a tip that mentions it. I don't know if there is an even extra bonus for matching a secondary spirit to the primary that matches the fighter though.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Any WoL tips for taking on groups on enemies 1v3? Characters, Moves, Spirits?

Man this is straight up bullshit sometimes
I like starting with a bob-omb. can usually take out one of them with a well placed bomb.
beyond that just get stronger spirits?

if you have any that can evolve at 99 just feed them. The one I had that was like a 1.2k spirit evolved into a 4k (starting gets up much higher eventually) that had a bonus stat of when I ate something my stats were all greatly increased.

If you have the wolf link amiibo the spirit you get from that is fairly solid.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I asked this yesterday but I don't think I got an answer: is there a way to buy Nintendo Online credit with My Nintendo gold coins yet? They said you'd be able to do that but I can't find the option to do it anywhere.

I don't know how, but my brother sent me a text just yesterday claiming he did it as some sort of weird brag. So it seems possible, yes.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. The effect is slightly boosted when equipping a same series spirit to the fighter. Not sure how much better the effect is, but there is a tip that mentions it. I don't know if there is an even extra bonus for matching a secondary spirit to the primary that matches the fighter though.

I THOUGHT that would be the case but I never saw the tooltip so I just kind of forgot to test it after a while. Once I finish leveling my Maria Renard up to 99 I'll give it a try.

I don't know how, but my brother sent me a text just yesterday claiming he did it as some sort of weird brag. So it seems possible, yes.

Ask him how if you can? I've looked everywhere and can't find the option. Doing it on the console just asks me to put my credit card info in.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Spirit battles are genius stuff. As event battles, they're fun challenges in their own right, while the spirits themselves put a "face" on each theme, and equipping different spirits allows you to modify your own fighter's properties for different strategies, as well. Many of them are like solving a puzzle.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Question about Spirits Board: Are the Spirits you get there in WoL at all? I don't want to get one from Spirits Board and find out it's a battle in WoL later.....

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Spirit battles are genius stuff. As event battles, they're fun challenges in their own right, while the spirits themselves put a "face" on each theme, and equipping different spirits allows you to modify your own fighter's properties for different strategies, as well. Many of them are like solving a puzzle.

It's interesting. Some of the battles really do feel like that. And then some of them feel like torture even if you equip the right spirits to make them easier. Pauline is torture, Gray Fox is a nightmare no matter what you have equipped, etc.

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, seriously? Like equipping a Castlevania spirit on Richter gives him bonus stats? Is that true?
Yeah, that's the part I'm not sure about. I just know it's good to try and stick with the same series. I wonder if there is a way to see all the tips in the game?

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. And spirits from the same series should have improved benefit as well.

Double thanks then ! Totally missed the same series part :s
Also explains why the game "forces" certain items before other similar effects.. Same franchise.

Another question : is there a way to know the numerical values of the enhancements ? Dunno if I should stack +sword damage or +special damage (as Marth).

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting. Some of the battles really do feel like that. And then some of them feel like torture even if you equip the right spirits to make them easier. Pauline is torture, Gray Fox is a nightmare no matter what you have equipped, etc.
The ones that drive me crazy are where the enemies run away and you have 30 seconds to KO them, lol.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ask him how if you can? I've looked everywhere and can't find the option. Doing it on the console just asks me to put my credit card info in.
I did it on console but there wasn't any prompt. It shows up automatically before you pay. Is your My Nintendo connected and have you registered games or anything through the system in the past?

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
There is. There's a whole Tips menu on the main menu.
Perfect, don't know how I missed it. Thanks!

Double thanks then ! Totally missed the same series part :s
Also explains why the game "forces" certain items before other similar effects.. Same franchise.

Another question : is there a way to know the numerical values of the enhancements ? Dunno if I should stack +sword damage or +special damage (as Marth).
No problem! I don't think I could help you there, but you can try going to training mode and attaching the spirits to see the damage output. You could also stack +sword with +special damage.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Are there gonna be free content with updates? Like new modes/stages etc or everything is paywalled?

Hope N will improve the online play both in terms of lag and modes.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Are there gonna be free content with updates? Like new modes/stages etc or everything is paywalled?

Hope N will improve the online play both in terms of lag and modes.
We know they're adding in spirits with updates, but the only other content we know of is the challenger packs (new character + stage + music) which are paid content.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
level 9 cpu ike is a fucking monster

frame perfect spotdodges, airdodges, parries and counters. if you can beat him you're ready for zero

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I did it on console but there wasn't any prompt. It shows up automatically before you pay. Is your My Nintendo connected and have you registered games or anything through the system in the past?

Yeah, I've registered multiple games, my system's over a year old. I think maybe the system just wants me to sign up for the free trial first?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Spirit Battles are the best addition to the franchise in a while, but they could have used more variety in the objectives. I've only done about 300 of them, but all of them except one were "KO the opponent" where that one was "KO the opponent without letting your partner get KO'd."

Sure, that eating challenge from the Wii U was whack but they could have used more variety (like the Starfox one from Wii U where you can't let Game & Watch land on the stage, etc).

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I just got my Piranha Plant DLC code for registering my cartridge copy of the game within the Switch's "My Nintendo" menu option for the game. Perhaps other folks got theirs already, but if not, FYI that Nintendo is already giving the code out well before it does anything.

Thank you for purchasing the Super Smash Bros.™ Ultimate game.

Below is your download code from My Nintendo™ for the Piranha Plant in-game character. You can redeem the code now and you'll receive the new fighter when it becomes available in early 2019.*

*A software update may be required to receive the downloadable content.

Download code expires 6/30/2019 at 11:59 p.m. PT. Full version of game required to use DLC.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of a repost, but is there a rhyme or reason for when the "Challenger's Approach" menu option shows up (where you can rematch failed Challengers)? It showed up consistently for a long while, but it hasn't for the last ~1 hour of game time.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a repost, but is there a rhyme or reason for when the "Challenger's Approach" menu option shows up (where you can rematch failed Challengers)? It showed up consistently for a long while, but it hasn't for the last ~1 hour of game time.

I'm sure there's a logic behind it, but I can't parse it. Sometimes if I had multiple unlocks queued up, I win (or lose) one CA fight and the icon went away. Other times, I beat one fight and then the next one was immediately ready for me to challenge. I think it's based on the same logic as the regular unlocks - player input.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I just received my Piranha Plant code in my email. It's still hard to believe it's actually a character coming down the pipe!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there's a logic behind it, but I can't parse it. Sometimes if I had multiple unlocks queued up, I win (or lose) one CA fight and the icon went away. Other times, I beat one fight and then the next one was immediately ready for me to challenge. I think it's based on the same logic as the regular unlocks - player input.
I've had good luck with doing a co op classic run, and after every character but the one I just failed to get will give me another shot at them.

but I also have enough background stats that even just starting up my game to update my WoL stuff and backing out to the main menu often causes a fighter to show up lol.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there is, but it's not clear *what* it is. Just go play other stuff for a bit and it should show back up there.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nobody is playing DK because they have bad taste and are using his ugly cousins instead, but he slaps in this game

Status
Not open for further replies.