• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
More seriously, I'll probably play through Classic mode with Mario first.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Bowser being unlockable screws up my tradition of a Mario v Bowser match on Battlefield being the first thing I do in every Smash game since Melee, so I think I'll just start with a Classic Mode run with Mario instead. (Pretty sure that was the first thing I did in Smash 64) I'm a creature of habit, it seems.

I'll probably unlock everyone through Classic Mode, tbh.

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's going to be so frustrating seeing all these boxed copies arrive early, waiting for my digital download to unlock. Just flip the switch early, Nintendo!

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
bY5wNrq.gif

It is time

Lmao

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
I have some Mii Fighter questions. Do we have confirmation that the default Mii Fighters are included in the game as they were in the demo, or do you still have to make them yourself if you want them? Also, do we know if Mii Fighters can be selected via the Random select this time around? And are there any modes in which Mii Fighters can't be used?

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I have some Mii Fighter questions. Do we have confirmation that the default Mii Fighters are included in the game as they were in the demo, or do you still have to make them yourself if you want them? Also, do we know if Mii Fighters can be selected via the Random select this time around? And are there any modes in which Mii Fighters can't be used?
1. No, you have to make a Mii, there aren't any defaults like in the demo
2. As far as I know, they do not show up in random
3. Miis can't be used in Smashdown or Classic modes. Everything else is fine (including online).

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Stoked for Thursday evening.

Alas, news that the stage editor was nixed is pretty rough. I actually really loved making stages and had a cagematch design I'd been doing since Brawl. *Sigh* I guess I thought this was an all inclusive Smash - and it mostly is - but perhaps I'm too picky. Still ready to throw down with some friends.
I'd honestly rather they kill it off than the half-cocked affair it was in SSBB/U. So frustratingly limiting to the point you couldn't really do anything remarkable.

I'd definitely be down for a £10-15 Stage Builder Expansion DLC that gave you more freedom, but at the end of the day it'll be a long time before we're bored of all these stages.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Do any of you see the benefit of the radar box that pops up when someone is flying offscreen? It's distracting and unhelpful in every single video I've watched - even when I try to specifically focus on the locational information it provides. But it still just seems so useless!

I'm wondering if it will be more helpful when actually playing, or if I will turn it off forever after a few matches.

I'm actually curious about the overall consensus as well because I personally dislike it. I think it's a good tool for rewatching 1 on 1 matches but anything else I'm immediately going into the options and turning it off. I find it distracting and unnecessary. Especially once everyone already has a feel for the the bounding boxes.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Do any of you see the benefit of the radar box that pops up when someone is flying offscreen? It's distracting and unhelpful in every single video I've watched - even when I try to specifically focus on the locational information it provides. But it still just seems so useless!

I'm wondering if it will be more helpful when actually playing, or if I will turn it off forever after a few matches.
Helpful for spectators ("ooooh one more inch!"), not really for players. I'll have it turned off. It'll be interesting what tournaments will do.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
1. No, you have to make a Mii, there aren't any defaults like in the demo
2. As far as I know, they do not show up in random
3. Miis can't be used in Smashdown or Classic modes. Everything else is fine (including online).
1. Damn...
2. ...it...
3. ... =(

I mean, I guess it's better than how Mii Fighters were treated in Smash for 3DS / Wii U, at least.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've already gotten two new Switch Friends since posting my Friend Code on Smash Era Discord.

I look forward to making even more new Switch Friends to Smash with.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
In the OP it says you can unlock characters through Versus mode..... This is the online mode right? I mostly like to play online and hope I can unlock characters that way....

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Physical or digital? Still unsure
Also when are the reviews coming?
As if i need any review to buy it. Who am i kidding.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Man the unlock route for my man Lucas is longer than I hoped. Looks like at minimum five Classic rounds. Oh well, gives me a chance to try a bunch of characters routes.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Stoked for Thursday evening.

Alas, news that the stage editor was nixed is pretty rough. I actually really loved making stages and had a cagematch design I'd been doing since Brawl. *Sigh* I guess I thought this was an all inclusive Smash - and it mostly is - but perhaps I'm too picky. Still ready to throw down with some friends.
I'd honestly rather they kill it off than the half-cocked affair it was in SSBB/U. So frustratingly limiting to the point you couldn't really do anything remarkable.

I'd definitely be down for a £10-15 Stage Builder Expansion DLC that gave you more freedom, but at the end of the day it'll be a long time before we're bored of all these stages.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
So no dispatch from SimplyGames today... tomorrow with any luck, really want to play this a day early!

Who else did UK ERA go with?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
People are getting their Best Buy orders in already?! I can't seem to find tracking info on my package using their app. With my luck it'll be here next week.

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3 Days til Nintendo let's me SMASH.

Do you guys think regular wifi would be good enough or should I spring for an Ethernet adapter?

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How many copies are in the wild?

If I went to a random game store that isn't like Gamestop or something would they sell it to me?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
In the OP it says you can unlock characters through Versus mode..... This is the online mode right? I mostly like to play online and hope I can unlock characters that way....
You'll still make progress towards earning them, but you will need to fight in the offline versus mode to start their challenger approaching fights and unlock them. The servers will probably be overloaded throughout this first weekend anyway so you'll probably be able to get most of them before they're functional.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I work at an e-commerce solutions company in the island of Florianópolis, Brazil. We're having a launch party for Smash this Friday starting at 7pm. There'll be a bunch of people that work here, their significant others and even former employees, a big TV, foods and drinks and a lot of controllers. Everyone here is pretty excited for Friday night.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
People are getting their Best Buy orders in already?! I can't seem to find tracking info on my package using their app. With my luck it'll be here next week.
I'm hoping that smash goes better than my persona 3/5 dancing order.
I got the shipment notice last night, that it would be here today.
got the notice from UPS for the same thing.
and then it didn't show up lol.
by the tracking number best buy still hasn't handed them the game >.<:
since mail is closed for the most part tomorrow that means that persona won't show up until thursday which is not good since that only gives my wife one night to play it before I claim the TV for smash (I'm not playing in handheld mode :P)

Mr. Nice_Guy

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely incredible OT guys. I will be genuinely surprised if this doesn't end up my game of the year.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I'm thinkin this will be the better game of course, but will possibly be reviewed slightly less favorably than 4. I think we'll end up around the high 80's to very low 90's range. This is the soonest a Smash has followed another Smash. And along with that, while the game is obviously not a port, is has a lot about it that may be seen as very derivative from Smash 4 to standard reviewers.

I agree, this wouldn't be surprising to me. Especially if reviewers go into World of Light expecting it to be a full-fledged story mode and are disappointed with what it actually is.

That said, reviews seemingly completely don't matter for this game. For almost all games, even ones that are expected to be similar to their predecessors, I always see people in the lead up to release date speculating about what the reviews will say and throwing out predictions for the Metacritic score.

I'm not seeing any of that for Ultimate. No one cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.