• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to get fucking bodied when I first boot this up on Christmas day lol.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
God dammit am I hyped, my switch is gonna get played harder than it did when I put time into zelda at launch.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
This will be my first Smash game and i must say i'm feeling the hype. I will play with everything enabled. That means items, stage hazards and assist trophies all on. I want to experience all the crazy shit and then see what i'll keep.

The chars i'm interested in playing so far include: one of the Links, Zelda, Isabelle, Rosalina, Pit and Palutena. I can't wait to start playing.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Best Zelda in this game.:)

Team:

Palutena
Zelda
Lucina
Lucas

so far! More to come :)

Edit: Also I will body everyone with Palutena and her great buffs!! :D

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really hoping my local Best Buy has too many copies of this on release day, like it does for all new releases.

Smash gods, pls. I need this.
If you are planning on getting it on release day anyways, why not just preorder it to be sure they reserve you a copy?

especially since preordering it get you a $10 rewards cert (if you are a my best buy member which is free to sign up for), and a coin.

I know at the very least Target sold out of preorders o.o;

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
My BestBuy Collector's Coin is already being prepared to ship, but my copy of the game itself isn't...

I hope Best Buy delivers this one on time.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm so hyped for this. Gonna preorder today. The whole shebang. With Nintendo's shitty online sub it's gonna be over 100 bucks but it's gonna be worth it for Smash. Gonna spend thousands of hours with this, just like the games before that. It's so damn close!

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Dy2FG4O.png
I accept this prize.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
2 days and 2 hours until the game releases in my timezone. Opening that pre-load at midnight will feel so good after all this time.

MonkeySleeve

Nov 15, 2017
So this bundle doesn't seem to be available in Europe;
https:///wp-content/uploads/2018/09/ssb-ultimate-special-edition-us-boxart-banner-1038x576.jpg
Thats a shame :(

Randroid

Oct 28, 2017
I'm looking forward to playing this couch co-op, but can somebody tell me which modes you can play through together? Since World of Light is singleplayer only, what else can you do together instead of versus? Surely not just classic mode?

David Kjellson

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Nice thread.

It sucks that I can't play this game after 12 och Thursday as I begin work really early. And when I get home after sitting in queues I'm gonna be tired as hell. Really wish I was off on Friday.

Oh well.

Chazzhay

Oct 29, 2017
Think about it like this: if you're staying up for it to unlock at midnight in your region you only have to sleep 2 more times before then. And it works out well for me: Smash at midnight, Game Awards at 2am UK time. Thanks annual leave.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reuploading these as the last versions were before Isabelle! They're the Smash logo fashioned from those stylin' Ultimate stock icons (second spoiler because large):

2lj2pdy.jpg

v7b239.png

If you want different sizes, I can try to accommodate you.

Last edited:

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So, for someone who hasn't been in the loop for the last week what's the quickest way to unlock all characters?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So, for someone who hasn't been in the loop for the last week what's the quickest way to unlock all characters?
Play vs matches until you unlock someone, close the game to skip the timer (there's a 10 minute cooldown between each character unlock in vs mode), then repeat.

Gray Matter

Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
Took the day off I'm Friday to play ALL DAY.

It's peobable been asked and answered already, but it's there going to be some sort of era tournament happening?

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
So as someone who's never played a Smash game before, would it be best to go through World of Light and switch to different characters as they unlock to get a feel for them?

Jorgie

Mar 28, 2018
Philadelphia
Called all of my local GameStops and none of them are having 9PM/12AM release. I'm MAD. I even called Best Buy and they said they aren't. She didn't sound very convincing though so I'm gonna try calling again on Thursday when it'll be general knowledge to the employees.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
t5M1WxK.gif

So we've finally made it.

I may have partaken in a lot of pre-release speculation back in the old place for the last game, but despite the shorter turnout for Ultimate, none quite as much as this one. Maybe that's why, in a way, it almost felt like the most tantalizing wait. It somehow felt longer than usual. We laughed, we cried, we got angry at each other, I know I made some predictions back earlier in the year that probably look dumber by the day, and yet I can't say I had any less fun because of it. That's the wild thing about Smash. It's all just a part of the experience.

I still remember that March teaser like it was yesterday, the way it followed up on my excitement from the Octo Expansion's announcement. I remember the threads and social media feeds were groaning at the idea of it being another "Splatoon announcement" or whatever, even though to me at the time the Direct felt like the biggest indicator of Splatoon finally solidifying itself as a true all-star deserving to stand among the likes of Mario and Zelda. Nothing could make me happier about the prospect, and it's fitting that the next trailer would be... exactly that. I already knew it in my bones that the footage we were seeing in that CG sequence wasn't your average Splatoon announcement. I'd seen too many trailers and sequences in my obsession of the series to tell that, something about the way it animated, the way it flowed, the sound direction, was just all too familiar. I didn't want to jump the gun, but I knew in my heart what it already was. This was Smash, and Splatoon had the honor of springboarding this announcement.

Fade to black, anticipation swelling, boom. That iconic shot you see above, which to this day still feels like it sends a definitive statement. Smash is back. It's coming out this year. And this time, it wasn't about to hold any punches.

5nLYzp4.gif

As much as one can look back in retrospect thinking that the sudden announcement may indicate it just being an enhanced port, I dunno. I instantly felt there was more to this story. Just like nothing but the looming teaser of the burning Smash logo, calling back to that original burning Smash 64 emblem, something about it felt like the series was about to go through a paradigm shift. A lot of circumstances about this title was just shrouded in mystery - it was clear that Ultimate would end up having one of the longest development cycles of a Smash game based on what we knew. It was the first title since Melee that was kind of just announced on the spot, with no previous hints or indication that it was in development. For the most of the part, Sakurai managed to keep the title under wraps. Even after announcement, he went completely quiet, saying he'd "worked on the title in secrecy". How you manage to do that is kind of awe-inspiring.

Another thing I couldn't stop thinking about was that this would be the first Smash title developed without Iwata overseeing it, who was always a guardian angel for this series. Hell, one could argue that if it weren't for Iwata, Smash as a series wouldn't have existed the way we know it post-64. I feel like it's often understated how Sakurai continuously returning to this series may be thanks to the dedication he has towards their working relationship, and Smash as a series often feels like a testament to this friendship they'd cultivated. Maybe this is why the mission statement became the way it was, as what better way would there be to honor that history than to include just about everything they'd built together? But of course, the title also means a lot of things for different people. 20 years worth of it in fact, it's a title that continues to create friendships like theirs.

Honestly, when taken at it's own, this trailer probably doesn't mean much - it's just a clipshow. And yet, this trailer fills me with some kind of unreal emotional euphoria, every single time I watch it. The way it perfectly frames the characters they brought in; starting with the obvious ones, but then it slowly creeps up on you - some characters have brand new designs or moves. Then; bam. Ice Climbers is back. Inkling is a fighter. Pokémon Trainer returns. Cloud returns. And then the god damn coup de grâce. Snake. That short pause just to emphasize that yes; he's back. Everyone Is Here. And yes, just to show you're not dreaming, they even brought back Pichu.

It's an emotional rollercoaster. It's one of the most genuine emotional reactions I've had at a trailer, and it kind of makes me realize how much this shit's meant to me through all these years. I can't help but get teary eyed revisiting that, because in as much as all of this stuff is just lines of code with characters who were already in the series at some point, there's just something so poignant to draw a line in the sand and say; we've done the impossible. All those 20 years of memories are here - and you're only about to make even more memories.

To use a cheesy reference; it feels more clear with Ultimate that we're not looking at the greatest game in the world - but a tribute.

I can't wait to play the game with everyone and I look forward to speculating yet again with everyone for the encore that's the DLC train. If you know me across all of the last 13 threads we've had, you already know who I'm rooting for.

xXwnFOa.gif

Fantastic work on the OT, Heath. And you chose the best OT subtitle too <3

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
t5M1WxK.gif

So we've finally made it.

I may have partaken in a lot of pre-release speculation back in the old place for the last game, but despite the shorter turnout for Ultimate, none quite as much as this one. Maybe that's why, in a way, it almost felt like the most tantalizing wait. It somehow felt longer than usual. We laughed, we cried, we got angry at each other, I know I made some predictions back earlier in the year that probably look dumber by the day, and yet I can't say I had any less fun because of it. That's the wild thing about Smash. It's all just a part of the experience.

I still remember that March teaser like it was yesterday, the way it followed up on my excitement from the Octo Expansion's announcement. I remember the threads and social media feeds were groaning at the idea of it being another "Splatoon announcement" or whatever, even though to me at the time the Direct felt like the biggest indicator of Splatoon finally solidifying itself as a true all-star deserving to stand among the likes of Mario and Zelda. Nothing could make me happier about the prospect, and it's fitting that the next trailer would be... exactly that. I already knew it in my bones that the footage we were seeing in that CG sequence wasn't your average Splatoon announcement. I'd seen too many trailers and sequences in my obsession of the series to tell that, something about the way it animated, the way it flowed, the sound direction, was just all too familiar. I didn't want to jump the gun, but I knew in my heart what it already was. This was Smash, and Splatoon had the honor of springboarding this announcement.

Fade to black, anticipation swelling, boom. That iconic shot you see above, which to this day still feels like it sends a definitive statement. Smash is back. It's coming out this year. And this time, it wasn't about to hold any punches.

5nLYzp4.gif

As much as one can look back in retrospect thinking that the sudden announcement may indicate it just being an enhanced port, I dunno. I instantly felt there was more to this story. Just like nothing but the looming teaser of the burning Smash logo, calling back to that original burning Smash 64 emblem, something about it felt like the series was about to go through a paradigm shift. A lot of circumstances about this title was just shrouded in mystery - it was clear that Ultimate would end up having one of the longest development cycles of a Smash game based on what we knew. It was the first title since Melee that was kind of just announced on the spot, with no previous hints or indication that it was in development. For the most of the part, Sakurai managed to keep the title under wraps. Even after announcement, he went completely quiet, saying he'd "worked on the title in secrecy". How you manage to do that is kind of awe-inspiring.

Another thing I couldn't stop thinking about was that this would be the first Smash title developed without Iwata overseeing it, who was always a guardian angel for this series. Hell, one could argue that if it weren't for Iwata, Smash as a series wouldn't have existed the way we know it post-64. I feel like it's often understated how Sakurai continuously returning to this series may be thanks to the dedication he has towards their working relationship, and Smash as a series often feels like a testament to this friendship they'd cultivated. Maybe this is why the mission statement became the way it was, as what better way would there be to honor that history than to include just about everything they'd built together? But of course, the title also means a lot of things for different people. 20 years worth of it in fact, it's a title that continues to create friendships like theirs.

Honestly, when taken at it's own, this trailer probably doesn't mean much - it's just a clipshow. And yet, this trailer fills me with some kind of unreal emotional euphoria, every single time I watch it. The way it perfectly frames the characters they brought in; starting with the obvious ones, but then it slowly creeps up on you - some characters have brand new designs or moves. Then; bam. Ice Climbers is back. Inkling is a fighter. Pokémon Trainer returns. Cloud returns. And then the god damn coup de grâce. Snake. That short pause just to emphasize that yes; he's back. Everyone Is Here. And yes, just to show you're not dreaming, they even brought back Pichu.

It's an emotional rollercoaster. It's one of the most genuine emotional reactions I've had at a trailer, and it kind of makes me realize how much this shit's meant to me through all these years. I can't help but get teary eyed revisiting that, because in as much as all of this stuff is just lines of code with characters who were already in the series at some point, there's just something so poignant to draw a line in the sand and say; we've done the impossible. All those 20 years of memories are here - and you're only about to make even more memories.

To use a cheesy reference; it feels more clear with Ultimate that we're not looking at the greatest game in the world - but a tribute.

I can't wait to play the game with everyone and I look forward to speculating yet again with everyone for the encore that's the DLC train. If you know me across all of the last 13 threads we've had, you already know who I'm rooting for.

xXwnFOa.gif

Beautiful and nice post that feels like you took it directly out of my thoughts

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely feeling the hype now - gonna be a good week while I enjoy the buildup. Watching discussion videos, finishing up the Castlevania anime, reading up on stuff, getting my music preferences in order...

Which, yeah, question about that - did anyone figure out how the "Other" music works? I assumed every stage without a series has access to every "Other" track, but I saw that the Mii series is actually its own thing for music? Maybe? So are those tracks exclusive to Pilotwings/Find Mii/Wuhu Island?

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely feeling the hype now - gonna be a good week while I enjoy the buildup. Watching discussion videos, finishing up the Castlevania anime, reading up on stuff, getting my music preferences in order...

Which, yeah, question about that - did anyone figure out how the "Other" music works? I assumed every stage without a series has access to every "Other" track, but I saw that the Mii series is actually its own thing for music? Maybe? So are those tracks exclusive to Pilotwings/Find Mii/Wuhu Island?

Oh God, I hope the Mii music thing isn't true. My 'Other' stage music spreadsheet was already difficult enough to put together without even more arbitrary limitations...

'Other' tracks really should have been available everywhere. The fact that Flat Zone, Duck Hunt and Summit cannot have more than 2 tracks each while the likes of Hannenbow has over 100 tracks to pull from is just ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.