• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you for Smash?

• Hyped

Votes: 220 23.0%
  • Super Hyped

Votes: 574 60.0%
  • I don’t know what a smash is

Votes: 162 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah yeah, the hype is eating me up inside at this point. The overall hype cycle was pretty chill for me compared to most Smashes (maybe just because it was generally shorter), but as it got closer and closer to release I'm probably more hype for Ultimate than I've ever been for Smash.

This work week is gonna suck ass. I really really wish there was a way I could get off Friday.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
When did they say they decided the DLC characters recently?

Also, JC also saying you dont want to miss these fighters. Like why would they be talking about them now if they have nothing to announce soon other than the game being out. Kinda dumb.
Of course he's gonna hype up the DLC in general. Either way, I'm expecting a long wait before we get anymore post-PP DLC news.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly all I would like from a potential DLC announcement is to just show off all 5 planned characters. Pretty much what Street Fighter V did.

street_fighter_new.0.jpg

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is the right take. I can't believe people think they developed the entire game without putting a single thought into DLC until Sakurai posted that tweet. They probably had 2-3 of those characters ironed out months ago. I don't think there will be a character reveal at TGA, but I don't think it's less because "there's nothing to show" and more because the game is about to launch and PP is already on the horizon, so they don't really need another hook just yet. Or maybe they'll make Geoff Keighley playable.
Then why did Sakurai say they didn't have any work done on fighters until after they finish the game during the Direct and make a tweet later saying the selection was completed and they were beginning planning if they did have any work done?

I also don't see why the idea of them not having work done on the DLC as outrageous considering the scale of the game. Here we have people playing pirated copies of the game before the patch that are having a bunch of weird janky stuff happening like Olimar's getting stuck on Corrin's foot, people flying through stage collision, and other unpolished bits like Fountain of Dream's stages. It makes sense they didn't want to go through development on new content when they had to polish up the game they already had

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Mr Game and Watch's blog post still hasn't been put up on any blog outside of the Asian languages.

...the blog is a mess
Did you know that the switch news feed does weekly round ups of the blog posts?
You know what was in last weeks?
MR. GAME & WATCH

what did you do, blog, to not post the stupid post you already had written

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I have 2 finals on Thursday (one of which is pretty easy) & another one next Monday, so yeah. I at least got one of my finals (a fourth one) out of the way already.

I'm in a very similar position, except I have two finals on the day Smash comes out.....

They're the only two finals I have too! Great luck I have lol. I guess on the bright side as soon as I'm done I can just play the rest of the day and not have to worry about anything else.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Showing off the first fighter in the fighter pass would help sell day 1 fighter passes.

I think it would be easier for them to wait a few extra weeks until people have bought the game and settled in and then be like "this is what you have to look forward to" once PP is out.

They don't need people to buy the fighter pass right now. Unless the first DLC character is some sort of insane neutron bomb-level announcement like Ryu or Cloud it's not really going to move the needle beyond people who were already lining up to pre-buy it.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I think it would be easier for them to wait a few extra weeks until people have bought the game and settled in and then be like "this is what you have to look forward to" once PP is out.

They don't need people to buy the fighter pass right now. Unless the first DLC character is some sort of insane neutron bomb-level announcement like Ryu or Cloud it's not really going to move the needle beyond people who were already lining up to pre-buy it.
They get more sales that way. Get people to buy the pass before they drop the game and stop paying attention.

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
It's hard to get hyped anymore since knowing there's only one gameplay style throughout the entire game - regular battles with modifiers.

No platforming or sidescrolling stages, no trophy game, no descriptions to read through about the spirits, no break the targets, no board the platforms, no stage builder, no home run contest.... nothing to break up the gameplay at all really besides gacha customizing static png files and that one Classic-only short minigame. Most games where you can only do 1 or 2 of the same things over and over will get repetitive and boring after awhile. It doesn't feel like a full featured package so much as an arcade game now.

Still getting it day 1 because there's no other core Nintendo games out rn that are worth picking up.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It's hard to get hyped anymore since knowing there's only one gameplay style throughout the entire game - regular battles with modifiers.

No platforming or sidescrolling stages, no trophy game, no descriptions to read through about the spirits, no break the targets, no board the platforms, no stage builder, no home run contest.... nothing to break up the gameplay at all really besides gacha customizing static png files and that one Classic-only short minigame. Most games where you can only do 1 or 2 of the same things over and over will get repetitive and boring after awhile. It doesn't feel like a full featured package so much as an arcade game now.

Still getting it day 1 because there's no other core Nintendo games out rn that are worth picking up.
There's a platforming section, Race to the Finish is back in Classic mode.

Previous Smash Minigames weren't really anything worth playing beyond doing the challenge board tasks for them, anyway. Let's be honest with ourselves.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it had to do with controversy but I'm not even sure about it tho.
The switch post has it & the video that shows him using Fire ATtack is the old one so if anything it would be more accurate

For reference, the english blog post from the switch newsletter
When using his side special, Judge, this fighter pulls out a hammer and the numbers 1-9 are displayed. If you pull of a 9 attack, it will really knock the opponent back. His Final Smash turns him into an octopus that can pull opponents off the stage!

nopattern

Nov 25, 2017

Literally every character and every stage from every game is in this game not to mention all the newnew ones. The whole spirit system is gigantic, theres a huge amount of content there. Even then people still whine.

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
There's a platforming section. Race to the Finish is back in Classic mode.

Previous Smash Minigames weren't really anything worth playing beyond doing the challenge board tasks for them, anyway. Let's be honest with ourselves.

Race to the finish is the only thing, though. And the other modes were fun and gave you something to do between fights instead of turning the game off. Stage Builder was something I spent a lot of time in too.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There's a platforming section. Race to the Finish is back in Classic mode.

They still added things to do to the game, though. Home Run contest was fun. All Star Mode was fun. Stage Builder was an entertaining diversion.

I also liked having challenges to clear on the board that weren't just related to "win X number of matches" or "beat classic mode at this intensity".

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
So i got my PowerA wireless Gamecube controller today. I dont have Smash yet, but look forward to testing it out on some games after lunch.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017

Are there those "defeat 100 enemies on one life" things like in the older ones?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
There is merit to having small side modes if only to have them on hand for other modes, even if most people probably didn't do them extensively.
Even Special Orders & Smash Tour would grab home run contest & target blast for things that can happen.

But them being minor probably makes it easy for them to get cut to work on the meatier things.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Are there those "defeat 100 enemies on one life" things like in the older ones?
Century Smash, as it's called now, is still in yeah. They trimmed the fat off it, getting rid of the 3 mintue and 15 minute modes and merged All-Star with Endless (which? weird choice). 100-man and Cruel are still there as-is

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Home Run Contest seems like it'll be added in a patch sooner, rather than later. There's a bunch of stuff for it in the files, including a stage and music. They also updated Sandbag to work like he did in Melee, where you can grab him, the game now treats him like an NPC (like an Assist Trophy) and not an item.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's very odd to me that one of gaming's biggest icons, Pac-Man, is going to once again not have a stage that really represents him. Pac-Land represents a part of his history, but generally is definitely not a strong representation of his legacy. Only the 3DS had a stage that actually represented him "correctly", which is super weird considering how iconic Pac-Man's game is. They really should have found a way to make that stage work on the Switch, or just redesign it all together/creat a new Pac-board stage.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I don't mind the focus on fights because it was always the best part about Smash and the reason anyone played it. So cutting some fat to allow the meat to be even juicer is fine by me. Even then Spirits looks like the best single player content in the series precisely because of how well it intertwines into the game's core

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Home Run Contest seems like it'll be added in a patch sooner, rather than later. There's a bunch of stuff for it in the files, including a stage and music. They also updated Sandbag to work like he did in Melee, where you can grab him, the game now treats him like an NPC (like an Assist Trophy) and not an item.
Yeah it seems the game will have some updates to probably beef it up some more alongside the DLC characters like being able to get new Spirits so maybe a new mode or two wouldn't be off the table.

That and maybe an Echo Fighter or two. At least ones based off the current roster in case a DLC character has an Echo

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There is the Adventure-Mode ,which has a big map, the spirit and leveling system, small puzzles and mini-games. There are also bosses. All-Star and Race to the Finish.
If you want to not play Smash, then there is the eShop with hundred of great small-games for a low price or the Internet. I understand, that the developers of Smash wanted to focus on the important port "the game" and not add meaningless feature, which 95% off the people will touch once or is just mediocre and takes away ressources.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like if the day 1 patch that people have been hyping in changing balance, fixing all the glitches, and adding modes doesn't do anything of note people are gonna be devastated

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I sure hope so. I don't think it'll be part of the Day 1 patch, but it could happen when Piranha Plant releases.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Hey jerks, I'm just here to say that this thread jumped the shark back when we learned the game's title. COME ON STEP IT UP

Shout outs to my obscure Nintendo character buddies. Red Arremer , Hailinel , J-Tier , Heartskips , Gartooth , Clov , mopinks , and whoever else I forgot. Spirits mode baby. We did it.

ST Falcon 2019! Now that there's a new move solely so Wack Sacko can bring Battle Clash back to the spotlight there's no longer an excuse. Confirmed 100%.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey jerks, I'm just here to say that this thread jumped the shark back when we learned the game's title. COME ON STEP IT UP

Shout outs to my obscure Nintendo character buddies. Red Arremer , Hailinel , J-Tier , Heartskips , Gartooth , Clov , mopinks , and whoever else I forgot. Spirits mode baby. We did it.

ST Falcon 2019! Now that there's a new move solely so Wack Sacko can bring Battle Clash back to the spotlight there's no longer an excuse. Confirmed 100%.
Spirits Mode is The True Ultimate Experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.