• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you for Smash?

• Hyped

Votes: 220 23.0%
  • Super Hyped

Votes: 574 60.0%
  • I don’t know what a smash is

Votes: 162 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Here's a fun discussion to have:
ETod9Rr.png

Based on this part of Sakurai's GDC presentation for Brawl (and the Smash 4 project plan), come up with a 2-5 word description for your most-wanted characters that sells their unique attributes. For example:
  • Decidueye: Ghostly Aerial Sniper
  • Geno: Heavily-Armed Toy
  • Vaati: Wind Master

Last edited:

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
ETod9Rr.png

Based on this part of Sakurai's GDC presentation for Brawl (and the Smash 4 project plan), come up with a 2-5 word description for your most-wanted characters that sells their unique attributes.
Rex and Pyra: Tag Team Swordsman

Nia and Dromarch: Shifting Mounted Fighter

Team Lora: 3 in 1 Shifting Fighter

Spring Man: Long range Boxer

Sora: CQC Magic User

Monster Hunter: Varied Arsenal Fighter

Elisanne: Nimble Lance Master

I have some other characters I would like to see like Shantae and Octoling but it's hard to come up with a decent sales pitch for them in terms of mechanics.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
ETod9Rr.png

Based on this part of Sakurai's GDC presentation for Brawl (and the Smash 4 project plan), come up with a 2-5 word description for your most-wanted characters that sells their unique attributes.
Chorus Kids: Rhythm Brawler Trio

but more seriously Flexible Martial Artist is kind of accurate but when I think (Brawl) ZSS I think "she has whips and can paralyze people"

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
ETod9Rr.png

Tails: Lightweight Gadgeteer

Just kind of off the cuff but it works. The two characters I imagine to be closest to what he could pull off equipment wise are Bowser Jr. and Mega Man, who are pretty far on the heavy side. Meanwhile Tails would most likely be solidly a lightweight since that's how he's roughly framed compared to Sonic in his games and Sonic's already a lower mid as it is.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
ETod9Rr.png

Based on this part of Sakurai's GDC presentation for Brawl (and the Smash 4 project plan), come up with a 2-5 word description for your most-wanted characters that sells their unique attributes. For example:
Katalina and Lyria: Swords and Summons

Estelle: Has a Very Large Stick.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wait can I buy this the night before on the japanese eshop with my american visa card and play it in english?

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait can I buy this the night before on the japanese eshop with my american visa card and play it in english?

You can buy it from the Japanese eShop with a Japanese My Nintendo account, though I don't think your American credit card will work for that purpose. I think you'd have to get a Japanese code for the game or eShop credit on Amazon, then buy it with either of those.

In either case, yes, you can play the game in English even if you download it from another region's eShop (again keep in mind: you cannot access another region's eShop without first having a My Nintendo account set to that region).

The question of whether the Japanese preload will unlock at midnight Japan time is a different question to which I do not have the answer.

Jun 23, 2018
Canada
ETod9Rr.png

- Dixie: Ponytailed Aerial Acrobat
- Ganon: Magical Heavyweight Trident Trickster
- Bandana Dee: Small Agile Spearman
- Waluigi: Moonwalking Weirdo
- Rayman: Long-Ranged Fist Brawler

I really only care about Dixie and Ganon that much but I wanted to fill 5 DLC slots so

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
ETod9Rr.png

Defensive spellsword or sword-dancing mystic knight: Urbosa (change the descriptors a bit then Katalina would've fit the role).

Projectile-focused dark mage/sorceress: probably from FE, or Medusa.

Water manipulation master: whoever works best I guess. Primarina isn't happening. Mipha shouldn't have such powers, but would be acceptable.

Well-rounded summoner: SMT protagonist.

Impish ice-user: Jack Frost.

Bonus, I want a true light element expert, but Zelda and Palutena already have established movesets.

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
You can buy it from the Japanese eShop with a Japanese My Nintendo account, though I don't think your American credit card will work for that purpose. I think you'd have to get a Japanese code for the game or eShop credit on Amazon, then buy it with either of those.

In either case, yes, you can play the game in English even if you download it from another region's eShop (again keep in mind: you cannot access another region's eShop without first having a My Nintendo account set to that region).

The question of whether the Japanese preload will unlock at midnight Japan time is a different question to which I do not have the answer.
Also Amazon.co.jp has the digital code on sale. (For ¥7,063 which is roughly 62 USD)

You won't be able to get the code til Dec 6th Midnight Japan Time though (which would be 10AM in the East Coast of the states on the 5th), but that's enough time to preload before launch.

casey_contra

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
ETod9Rr.png

Twintelle: Long-range heavy-impact lightweight

Mary O: summoner of sprites

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
ETod9Rr.png

Gohma: Parasitic Armored Arachnid
King Dodongo: Infernal Dinosaur
Barinade: Bio-Electric Anemone
Phantom Ganon: Evil Spirit from Beyond
Volvagia: Subterranean Lava Dragon
Morpha: Giant Aquatic Amoeba
Bingo Bongo: Phantom Shadow Beast
Twinrova: Sorceress Sisters

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ETod9Rr.png

• Elma: Weapon switching acrobat
  • Skull Kid: Fairy wielding jester
  • Waluigi: Erratic sportsman
  • Jack Frost: Ice cold mage

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
ETod9Rr.png

Waluigi: Big Dick Energy
I don't actually care about Waluigi

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure about that? I know American credit cards work just fine on the Japanese 3DS eShop. I haven't tried Switch's though.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The characters I'll likely play the most.
I never cared about Pichu before the Team Aqua headband. Now he's a main.
I hear that. The Team Aqua and Team Skull bandanas are really speaking to me.

By the way, what have we learned so far about echo fighters? We already know about Dark Pit and Lucina (unless they received changes), Ken was laid out before us, and Chrom is self-explanatory. What about Daisy and Richter? Are Dark Samus's highly stylized animations just for show?

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
I hear that. The Team Aqua and Team Skull bandanas are really speaking to me.

By the way, what have we learned so far about echo fighters? We already know about Dark Pit and Lucina (unless they received changes), Ken was laid out before us, and Chrom is self-explanatory. What about Daisy and Richter? Are Dark Samus's highly stylized animations just for show?

From what I've heard, Dark Samus actually does have some small differences with regards to her hitboxes, though I can't recall the exact details.

As for Daisy, she's exactly the same as Peach.

The_Ultima

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Germany
uKVyfR2.jpg

Can´t wait do destroy you all with Kirby and Ike but actually I won´t play online because playing online sucks so you´re lucky

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
ETod9Rr.png

Wonder-Red: Charge Summoner

Bandana Dee: Floaty Parasol/Spear Soldier

Mushashi: Projectile (Plates) Property Changing Dual Wielder

Pig Ganon: Heavyweight Sorcerer

Elma: Full Metal Jaguar

Tethu/Tethi: Wind Master

Oct 25, 2017
Hey! I didn't know that site updated with alt colors.
8RSMwyj.png

The top 5 will be whom I will try to main (and attempt to unlock first)
The rest are the ones I'm interested in trying out, at least. I plan to try all characters, though.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Since everyone is posting these, I might as well.
ICefhq0.png

I'll explain these picks:
  • The four veterans are characters that I played a lot of in previous Smash games, and I want to play them in Ultimate too.
    • Puff and Ganon have been regulars for me since their introduction in 64 and Melee respectively, so I will definitely play a lot of them.
    • I played Pichu a fair amount in Melee (and played Pikachu a bit in Smash 4) so I want to pick up this adorable
    • I only really picked up Ness in Smash 4 (though I played a bit of him in 64, and played Lucas in Brawl) but he became one of my most-played characters and I want to play him again.
  • The three newcomers there are characters that I desperately want to try out; and one or two of them might become part of my main crew (mainly looking at K. Rool right now).
  • I usually don't stick to a small pool of characters when playing casually with friends, and so I usually select Random. With such a large cast, it's fun to leave it up to luck and play a wider variety of characters.
Honorable mentions (that i'll probably play from time-to-time) are: Mario, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Young Link, Wolf, Bowser, Lucas, Cloud, Roy, Mr. Game & Watch, Snake, Ike, Isabelle (maybe), Piranha Plant (maybe).

Last edited:

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Haven't really kept up with all the character changes - how is Snake looking? One of my mains in Brawl but completely dropped off my radar! I know he won't be probably as good because this game will be quicker, but interesting to see how he will fit...

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure about that? I know American credit cards work just fine on the Japanese 3DS eShop. I haven't tried Switch's though.
It replaces regional lockout.

If you have a JP 3DS linked to a JP Switch account, you can put the money from American cards of common card systems in your wallet on 3DS and spend it on Switch though, or so I heard.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The Omega form of Pirate Ship was really downgraded in Ultimate

Smash 4
800px-SSB4UPirateShipOmega.jpg

Ultimate
800px-SSBU-Pirate_ShipOmega.png

The Smash 4 version was like having a whole sub stage, since it was very visually distinct. Now it's just a wooden platform over the sea. The ship doesn't even come around in the background anymore.

I don't know why it was even changed. The old one conformed to the new consistent Omega form design.
That sucks. I was hoping with the central pole being on the plane behind the players it would be OK to keep them.

Lucs

Apr 14, 2018
I'm not a Smash fan but I can't ignore this one, it's so full of content, it's like a virtual museu of videogame with tons of characters.
But I'm not following the news, this is what I know so far. Someone knows how many spirits was included in the game?

72 characters
55 Pokémon
59 Assist trophies
103 stages
+800 music
?? Spirits
?? game modes

Status
Not open for further replies.