• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you for Smash?

• Hyped

Votes: 220 23.0%
  • Super Hyped

Votes: 574 60.0%
  • I don’t know what a smash is

Votes: 162 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
But won't it get super repetitive fighting 1200 fights ? It's like challenge mode right ? Or mortal Kombat tower
It's not going to give you a minecart section every three levels, if you're into that sort of thing.

Smash is, regardless, inherently more varied than a typical fighting game due to functional differences between stages and game directed hazards and item spawning. All of this is drastically driven down in tournament settings, and in local play there's much arguments about what is fun and what isn't, but if you're playing by yourself you can dose these things according to your tastes.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
Do we know if the game has the setting where it saves your favorite color for each character based on your profile? I feel like that was a super underrated feature in the 3ds version.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I'm honestly very worried that the competitive scene is already starting with such a conservative mindset.

That seems excessively conservative. I fully expect those five to be the game's neuteral stages but there's no way there aren't additional counterpick options. Maybe in 2 years it'll get to that point, but it'll be a while

The frame drops in FoD appear to be too rare to ban it just for that. Town and City is still a decent stage and should be a counterpick. There's no reason not to have Dreamland unless there are too many other stages to choose from. Kalos is significantly different to justify it being a counterpick compared to PS2.

I really don't see a world where we decide that there can only be one triplat or double platform layout. The differences between them are enough to justify including but not so much to justify banning. Even if they go with a hazards off only ruleset there are too many other options to use

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't Yoshi's story melee be kept in? Conservative stage selection like this kills watching tourney streams for me.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't Yoshi's story melee be kept in? Conservative stage selection like this kills watching tourney streams for me.
The shyguys bring in food even on hazards off, which is presumably a bug since it doesn't happen on Smashville or Town and City. If that gets fixed then it would be an easy counterpick choice

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
In breaking news, Stealth has apparently discovered where the 'Contact Us' page is on Nintendo's website.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
10 days remaining to finish my smash ultimate pic :(

worked on it for another 3 hours or so tonight and my pen hand hurts like shit lol

that might also have been the fighting things i did earlier today idk

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
In breaking news, Stealth has apparently discovered where the 'Contact Us' page is on Nintendo's website.

LOL reporting ROMs is fine by me but Stealth of all people trying to act official is just peak schoolyard snitch vibes with a nice dash of "I'm pretending I did something far more impressive than I actually did."

Might be the *expletive* Eating Crackers effect with me though. I just can't see anything he does in a positive light after the time during Smash 4's speculation era I caught him trolling GameFAQs and then using the obvious responses he got to fish for sympathy points on Twitter. Neeeever living that down buddy LOL

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
This is what 2GG is going with for early tournaments, and this isn't even final. Wuhu Island (Hazardless) and Prism Tower might end up on the counterpick list, as well

Stages:

Starter
Battlefield (+BF Form)
Final Destination (+Omega)
Fountain of Dreams (Hazards On)
Smashville (Hazards On)
Pokemon Stadium 1 (Hazards Off)

Counterpick
Town & City (Hazards On)
Lylat Cruise (Hazards Off)
Castle Siege (Hazards Off)
Kalos Pokemon League (Hazards Off)
WarioWare (Hazards Off)
Frigate Orpheon (Hazards Off)
Skyloft (Hazards Off)
Halberd (Hazards Off)
Brinstar (Hazards Off)
Yoshi's Island Brawl (Hazards Off)

Other Stuff
Time: 8 Minutes
Stocks: 3
Miis: Frii

The community really wants a large stage list, every time they put out a list, people demand more stages be added.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm bummed the fuck out that Arena Ferox's layout is randomized in hazards off but that definitely looks like a much more refined stage list than the last.

ffdgh

Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom
This is what 2GG is going with for early tournaments, and this isn't even final. Wuhu Island (Hazardless) and Prism Tower might end up on the counterpick list, as well

The community really wants a large stage list, every time they put out a list, people demand more stages be added.

I'm glad the community wants to avoid more years of AC stage saturation. Leave that in four.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

That's a pretty solid stage list, though I'm worried about Lylat given that weird Kirby bug. Hopefully we get an update that de-randomizes the random stages with Hazards Off so they can be legal.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
That's a pretty solid stage list, though I'm worried about Lylat given that weird Kirby bug. Hopefully we get an update that de-randomizes the random stages with Hazards Off so they can be legal.
Has that actually been confirmed? I've only seen one dude on Twitter mention it as a source, and nobody else confirmed it.

In the demo, random stages without hazards always had a set layout. Gamer even had new assets only used in hazardless, which would be weird if it was random.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Obnoxious list considering the hazard toggle.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Has that actually been confirmed? I've only seen one dude on Twitter mention it as a source, and nobody else confirmed it.

In the demo, random stages without hazards always had a set layout. Gamer even had new assets only used in hazardless, which would be weird if it was random.
I believe a few people with an early copy were able to confirm it.

Obnoxious list considering the hazard toggle.
I mean, it's a pretty good list that's bigger than pretty much any other Smash game.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The only stages missing that have a chance to be legal are Wuhu Island and Prism Tower. This list is pretty solid.
The former is a bit on the big side for singles (it could be fair game for doubles) & Prism Tower still has stage transitions. Otherwise, it's a pretty sizable list. All we need now is to remove the randomizer for certain stages so we can expand the Counterpicks a bit more to the likes of Arena Ferox & Gamer.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The former is a bit on the big side for singles (it could be fair game for doubles) & Prism Tower still has stage transitions. Otherwise, it's a pretty sizable list. All we need now is to remove the randomizer for certain stages so we can expand the Counterpicks a bit more to the likes of Arena Ferox & Gamer.
I don't think stage transitions matter, there's no way to die from Prism Tower's transformations. If it carries you to the top, it just drops you down.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe a few people with an early copy were able to confirm it.

I mean, it's a pretty good list that's bigger than pretty much any other Smash game.

The only stages missing that have a chance to be legal are Wuhu Island and Prism Tower. This list is pretty solid.

Still a pitifully small total out of 103, and doesn't change how I feel about it. Plenty of reasonable choices left out in my opinion.

The discussion about the tournament scene is unnecessary, but this isn't something that encourages me (someone currently disinterested in watching tournament Smash) to watch.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Still a pitifully small total out of 103, and doesn't change how I feel about it. The discussion about the tournament scene is unnecessary, but this isn't something that encourages me (someone currently disinterested in watching tournament Smash) to watch.
You have to consider that a vast majority of the stages in Smash Ultimate have some kind of bullshit that keeps them from being legal, even with Hazards Off. Fortunately, Battlefield & Omega modes are now uniform with regular BF & FD. So as long as there's no copyright issues with the music on a stage (Ex: Mother/Earthbound stages, Midgar, etc.), you should be able to choose those if you take the fight to either Battlefield or FD.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Still a pitifully small total out of 103, and doesn't change how I feel about it. Plenty of reasonable choices left out in my opinion.

The discussion about the tournament scene is unnecessary, but this isn't something that encourages me (someone currently disinterested in watching tournament Smash) to watch.
Cut out the stages with ceilings, walk offs, water, walls and that are too large and you're only left with about a third of the stages in the game.

103 is a big number on the surface, but the majority of those stages had no hope of ever being legal just by how they're set up.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yoshi's Story is likely lumped with Battlefield since it with Hazards On still gives you items via the Shy Guys. You can get rid of them with Hazards Off, but it also gets rid of Randall.
smh then cut battlefield

or does battlefield mean you can select any of the variants? because that would be cool. plain battlefield just sucks.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
smh then cut battlefield

or does battlefield mean you can select any of the variants? because that would be cool. plain battlefield just sucks.
Yeah, the Battlefield variants in BF Mode are uniform now, so I believe you can choose whichever one you want as long as there aren't any copyright issues with the music (Ex: Mother/Earthbound stages, Midgar, etc.). The same applies to Omega variants compared to FD.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have to consider that a vast majority of the stages in Smash Ultimate have some kind of bullshit that keeps them from being legal, even with Hazards Off. Fortunately, Battlefield & Omega modes are now uniform with regular BF & FD. So as long as there's no copyright issues with the music on a stage (Ex: Mother/Earthbound stages, Midgar, etc.), you should be able to choose those if you take the fight to either Battlefield or FD.

Cut out the stages with ceilings, walk offs, water, walls and that are too large and you're only left with about a third of the stages in the game.

103 is a big number on the surface, but the majority of those stages had no hope of ever being legal just by how they're set up.

Let me clarify: I fundamentally don't jive with the qualifications of a number of competitive Smash rules for stages. Some I understand, but for example, sometimes I am left scratching my head for stages that are too big.

As someone who plays the game seriously but not for money, I don't find this list reasonable. I feel my opinion is just as reasonable as any other who does so, but that is stratified differently from people who play the game for money apparently.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Let me clarify: I fundamentally don't jive with the qualifications of a number of competitive Smash rules for stages. Some I understand, but for example, sometimes I am left scratching my head for stages that are too big.

As someone who plays the game seriously but not for money, I don't find this list reasonable. I feel my opinion is just as reasonable as any other who does so, but that is stratified differently from people who play the game for money apparently.
So what would you legalize?

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Really solid list. It's become obvious a 15+ stage list won't be accepted by most tournament regulars so if we can maintain around 12-13 I'd be happy.

Expecting Lylat (if bug is true: will probably be fixed and added back), Halberd and Skyloft to not last long term. All these three are stages people have looked for excuses to ban in the past and it'll just happen eventually. I also think the Yoshi bug will be fixed and then added back as a stage.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hazardless Brinstar is interesting to see there. I assume it's completely vanilla - no lava, no destrucible floor or weird fleshy tubes?

Man, it's gonna be weird to see classic stages without any of the wacky stuff.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what would you legalize?

For competitive (but not monetarily so) tastes? I'd have to have the game in my hands to determine that.

But I don't consider Smash as a data set to decide my favorite stages. When I'm playing "serious matches" with friends who do the same, I don't play on walk-offs or huge ones. But I definitely know that the posted list is inappropriately slim compared to the way I remember stages from before.

However, the mechanics are different. So I would obviously need to make my own list when the game is in my hands.

I more take issues with the fact that these lists for tournaments are constructed like datasets for convenience rather than what's fun/fair to play or watch. TOs deciding what's easiest to organize even in the face of viable stages will not often make for a good list for me, even if I know why its done.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Really solid list. It's become obvious a 15+ stage list won't be accepted by most tournament regulars so if we can maintain around 12-13 I'd be happy.

Expecting Lylat (if bug is true: will probably be fixed and added back), Halberd and Skyloft to not last long term. All these three are stages people have looked for excuses to ban in the past and it'll just happen eventually. I also think the Yoshi bug will be fixed and then added back as a stage.
Skyloft won't last long, due to the bottom floor being a soft platform you can jump through.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If we drop below 10 stages I'll be upset but I honestly think it won't go that far. Even if it does, at least most stages can be picked as BF or FD form now. Should be better variety in music and scenery no matter what.

Skyloft won't last long, due to the bottom floor being a soft platform you can jump through.

I mean even if it turns out fine and not troublesome like past games I just don't think that's a mechanic that these tournament regulars are interested in so it'll be banned eventually due to sheer pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.