• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you for Smash?

• Hyped

Votes: 220 23.0%
  • Super Hyped

Votes: 574 60.0%
  • I don’t know what a smash is

Votes: 162 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point I wish Clov would be given the remaining 5 points and the win already. No matter if I know or not, I'm too damn slow (I suck) and won't get anything, nor will anyone else.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't suck! You even got a point two days ago! We're almost at the end, you can make it!
This isn't happening anymore. I always type slower, when I'm close we get a hint that gives you the game instantly, when I get the character somehow you get it too, all characters you're camping show up.

Sigh.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't happening anymore. I always type slower, when I'm close we get a hint that gives you the game instantly, when I get the character somehow you get it too, all characters you're camping show up.

Sigh.

I had a bad week like this two weeks ago, and I thought nobody I was waiting for would show up, but it got better! It'll be okay.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
Doshin the Giant, Endless Ocean, and Star Tropics don't have any reference in the game at all? Wow
startropics makes some sense (or, at least, was expected) because smash has a pattern of never having represented games that weren't initially released in japan, including that, tin star, geist, and gumshoe
it... also for some reason includes games that weren't released there until much later, like balloon kid and kid icarus 2

endless ocean's absence from this (and 4) almost makes me think it could not actually be fully nintendo-owned... but then, i thought the same for eternal darkness, so.

Error_404

Nov 12, 2017
Just a reminder that the reveal trailer for Robin and Lucina in Smash 4 ended with Chrom sadly saying " Perhaps I'll get my chance another day"

Even funnier now

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
the next time there's a pushmo character, mark my words, i shall have my dark revenge

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, I'm kinda glad the music all leaked out weeks before launch

I can take my time planning out My Music knowing what's in and and where it can go, and then leap into the game on the 7th

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I gotta say, I'm kinda glad the music all leaked out weeks before launch

I can take my time planning out My Music knowing what's in and and where it can go, and then leap into the game on the 7th
Do we actually know where all of the "other" tracks go (assuming they aren't all available on every misc stage)?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Do we actually know where all of the "other" tracks go (assuming they aren't all available on every misc stage)?
I remember someone here (ned_ballad ?) asking about it to someone who had the game and the other tracks do indeed go to the toher stages in one big lump sum. Yoshi's Island (Melee) seems to be the big exception where it's the only place its normal theme (the SMW remix it's had since melee) plays.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Right now for dlc im thinking:
Crash (Big splaystation Icon, game recently came out on switch)
Geno (Square Enix isnt super protective of all their properties, just FF and dragon quest. look at 2b in soul calibur Vs. Noctis in Tekken, you can customize 2B in SC while you cant for the other third party guest)
Steve (Even if Vergeben/his sources is wrong which he probably is, Still one of the biggest gaming franchises ever)
Sans (Indie Rep, Undertale was SUPER popular in miiverse which likely caused nintendo to take note of it, big kid appeal from Japan AND U.S.)
Spyro (reignited coming to switch is the worst kept secret ever, could be released as a tie in)

I highly doubt there will be first party dlc characters (other than Pirahna Plant). Only one for 4 was Corrin who probably sold a lot worse than all the other dlc characters. (there is also a bit of evidence for all the dlc characters coming from new series since the only characters to get new stages in 4 dlc where 3rd party)

I full expect to be wrong.

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I remember someone here (ned_ballad ?) asking about it to someone who had the game and the other tracks do indeed go to the toher stages in one big lump sum. Yoshi's Island (Melee) seems to be the big exception where it's the only place its normal theme (the SMW remix it's had since melee) plays.
Okay, that's good. I'm assuming that Yoshi's Island (Melee) is missing the rest of the Mario tracks it had before? That's a bit of a shame.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, that's good. I'm assuming that Yoshi's Island (Melee) is missing the rest of the Mario tracks it had before? That's a bit of a shame.
They really should have been consistent and just given all the super mario world themes to Yoshi if they really want to treat what is clearly a Mario stage as a Yoshi stage.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should have just changed the name on Lucas's Claus alt to "Claus" they wouldn't even need to change his voice or anything

That way he could be immortalized in Smash in a happy way

The Awesomest

Mar 3, 2018
What are people hoping for Classic campaigns? We know Mario's has him fighting characters from other NES games. Luigi's should be fighting all the other second bananas - Falco, Diddy, Louie, Pichu, and culminate with a boss fight against Crazy Hand.

But most likely he'll just be fighting other green people.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
What are people hoping for Classic campaigns? We know Mario's has him fighting characters from other NES games. Luigi's should be fighting all the other second bananas - Falco, Diddy, Louie, Pichu, and culminate with a boss fight against Crazy Hand.

Luigi fights against a bunch of scary characters. His boss is Dracula.
"Second Bananas" would be a good name for Diddy's campaign, actually.
His campaign name is 'Hey, Little Buddy!'

Yes, they made a DKC cartoon reference.

Jun 23, 2018
Canada

"Second Bananas" would be a good name for Diddy's campaign, actually.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France

Luigi will probably fight big baddies or some spooky shit.
since his final boss is Dracula

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm really happy with the way that Jigglypuff is looking in this game. Having multiple ways to true combo into Rest (Pound or Down Air) is amazing.

I'm just afraid that she'll get nerfed.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
They should have just changed the name on Lucas's Claus alt to "Claus" they wouldn't even need to change his voice or anything

That way he could be immortalized in Smash in a happy way
Claus would need unique animations, Lucas has a lot of "crybaby" type things.

And I imagine not enough people care about Claus to make it worth making an echo.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Right now for dlc im thinking:
Crash (Big splaystation Icon, game recently came out on switch)
Geno (Square Enix isnt super protective of all their properties, just FF and dragon quest. look at 2b in soul calibur Vs. Noctis in Tekken, you can customize 2B in SC while you cant for the other third party guest)
Steve (Even if Vergeben/his sources is wrong which he probably is, Still one of the biggest gaming franchises ever)
Sans (Indie Rep, Undertale was SUPER popular in miiverse which likely caused nintendo to take note of it, big kid appeal from Japan AND U.S.)
Spyro (reignited coming to switch is the worst kept secret ever, could be released as a tie in)

I highly doubt there will be first party dlc characters (other than Pirahna Plant). Only one for 4 was Corrin who probably sold a lot worse than all the other dlc characters. (there is also a bit of evidence for all the dlc characters coming from new series since the only characters to get new stages in 4 dlc where 3rd party)

I full expect to be wrong.
Nintendo is picking all the dlc. They really have no reason to pick any third parties.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is picking all the dlc. They really have no reason to pick any third parties.
On the contrary, third parties are absolutely bigger deals and attract more people to the game than whatever random first party character. Nintendo picking or not, I would prepare for multiple third party characters in the pass.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Inkling is legit my most anticipated character. I can't wait. After I unlock her, I'm going straight to Numbuh 5.

2NGJW5N.png

Every time I see that Smash Ultimate cover art, I think Mario's moustache is on fire, but it's just Charizard's tail.

On the contrary, third parties are absolutely bigger deals and attract more people to the game than whatever random first party character. Nintendo picking or not, I would prepare for multiple third party characters in the pass.
My thoughts exactly. Third parties bring in the money.

Last edited:

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Good game, lbbaker.

---

Hotake: Nintendo's character list is all about shareholder #44's favorite character's. This is the only guy who frowned at the "I don't care about games, gimme money" question.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, given 3 out of the 4 non veteran Smash 4 DLC characters were 3rd party it would be a little surprising if none of Ultimate's 5 were.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to the final five for making it this far. We're in the final stretch now!

Personally, i'm predicting Roy and Mewtwo to close out this week, with the final three all being characters that are notable in some form (Bayonetta being the last numerically, Yoshi being the last character shown in the 'Everyone is Here' video and Game & Watch being the oldest character in Smash).
Well I certainly didn't expect this.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Wow, you can choose the song you want playing right before selecting the stage. So if you're wanting to battle to a specific song without screwing your music settings. You can.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Wow, you can choose the song you want playing right before selecting the stage. So if you're wanting to battle to a specific song without screwing your music settings. You can.
Really? That's great! I always thought that playing a specific song in My Music on the Stage Select should guarantee that song playing, so I guess Sakurai heard my silent prayers.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH

Deleted member 2474

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm honestly very worried that the competitive scene is already starting with such a conservative mindset.

this would suck if it happens, but most of the comp smash players i've seen are more optimistic than this.

FoD having frame drops even in singles is a shame, though, and hopefully gets patched. would hate to see that stage get banned due to tech issues.

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017

I'm honestly very worried that the competitive scene is already starting with such a conservative mindset.

It's that guy's predictions of the stage list due to the community being conservative before. Just wait and see. 2GG, Xanadu, etc seem to have pretty reasonable rules for week 1, let's see how they adjust it over time

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Robin teaming up with Morgan probably was too much work, since Sakurai probably would have wanted 2 Morgans.

I also think Daisy, Chrom & Dark Samus were the last characters added. Isabelle(semi-clone), Ken, Richter all had cutscenes for them, so they must have been decided far earlier. Perhaps it's those three that made Sakurai think of Echo Fighters?

I'm also really happy that Daisy is in… as a dirt-cheap echo. Unique Daisy would have been biggest waste of resources.

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
Hey guys, this might be a dumb question but is there enough single player content in smash for a player that plays fighting games alone ? I love mortal Kombat because it offers so much single player content. I have been thinking about buying this one but I'm afraid that there won't be Enough content or too hard for someone who haven't played smash before. If someone can help me with this I'll appreciate it

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Hey guys, this might be a dumb question but is there enough single player content in smash for a player that plays fighting games alone ? I love mortal Kombat because it offers so much single player content. I have been thinking about buying this one but I'm afraid that there won't be Enough content or too hard for someone who haven't played smash before. If someone can help me with this I'll appreciate it
Yes you can play it solo !
The adventure mode seems HUGE, and it's fun to play the other modes in solo too (always loved classic mode, and Ultimate's classic seems like the best Smash's Classic mode).
Also there's 1200 spirits so it'll take a long time to get them all !

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
Yes you can play it solo !
The adventure mode seems HUGE, and it's fun to play the other modes in solo too (always loved classic mode, and Ultimate's classic seems like the best Smash's Classic mode).
Also there's 1200 spirits so it'll take a long time to get them all !
But won't it get super repetitive fighting 1200 fights ? It's like challenge mode right ? Or mortal Kombat tower

Status
Not open for further replies.