• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you for Smash?

• Hyped

Votes: 220 23.0%
  • Super Hyped

Votes: 574 60.0%
  • I don’t know what a smash is

Votes: 162 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
So are all the bosses just recycled? Like Galleom is from SSE, Giga Bowser is from Melee and Brawl, Dracula is from the Castlevania stage, Rathalos is an assist Trophy and King Bulblin is from the Zelda stage. Only new ones are Lumen Sage and the final boss. hopefully we see more original stuff. Probably means we won't get a Kirby boss though.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The lack of Travis so far sure is interesting to say the least. Suda's been pretty loud about Smash for a while, and with how liberally they include Spirits, it seems like it'd be a great way to throw him a bone.

:thinkingemoji:
Don't rule out him popping up somewhere in World of Light. All that campaigning Wayforward and Shantae's fans did got her to be a Spirit in the end. If anything now I'm confident a Travis Spirit is somewhere in this game

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they developed Spirits with representing as many corners of Nintendo's history in mind and trying to get as many popular characters a small role in the game. If anything it's just affirming that they didn't develop the game with DLC in mind for a vast majority of it and we shouldn't be taking this stuff as a deconfirmation but as a small fun easter egg for a game marketed as the Ultimate Nintendo crossover.

If nothing else it's making a hell of a lot more sense that Sakurai didn't show Spirits until the end because you guys would've had a total aneurysm combing over all of these things looking for who's deconfirmed.
Not a chance they didn't know that they were going to develop DLC for it.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Well, me and 86 other people were pretty awesome at predicting that Palutena's Guidance would return. And yay for it being updated.

Oh, I want to see the one for Bayonetta now.

MoonGirard

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 4, 2017
All these new Spirits confirmation and the only Medusa is still Medusa Head from Castlevania Sakurai pls.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
So are all the bosses just recycled? Like Galleom is from SSE, Giga Bowser is from Melee and Brawl, Dracula is from the Castlevania stage, Rathalos is an assist Trophy and King Bulblin is from the Zelda stage. Only new ones are Lumen Sage and the final boss. hopefully we see more original stuff. Probably means we won't get a Kirby boss though.
The new stage elements were definitely designed to be multi-purpose, so I'd hesitate to call it recycled. Giga Bowser and Galleom both got significant touch-ups from what we can tell, so that's nice at least.

Was Lumen Sage actually confirmed, or are we still talking about the banner on the menu?

Oct 25, 2017
The new stage elements were definitely designed to be multi-purpose, so I'd hesitate to call it recycled. Giga Bowser and Galleom both got significant touch-ups from what we can tell, so that's nice at least.

Was Lumen Sage actually confirmed, or are we still talking about the banner on the menu?
Just the Banner, we're just hoping he's in. If my theory about Stage hazards or backgrounds become boss fights. Hoping we see, Death, Kraid and a Metal Gear.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If they did they did it near the end of development like this summer and it was purely done to put in the skeleton for DLC. So the character slots and missing 5 stage slots in the stage select screen. If anything I have a feeling that if people were to datamine these slots they would absolutely nothing. Adding to Sakurai saying they didn't start working on the DLC during development and it was just Piranha Plant

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
T139zki.jpg

Dio was nice enough to make me a Deltarune avatar so once I'm finally done I won't even be going back to a Geno avatar.

My puppet son will be DLC, however, so maybe then.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Not starting development is different from knowing who/what to accommodate for. If they finalized the DLC line-up this month, then they've must've known for a while who was on the table.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
They knew they were making DLC, but likely didn't have a concrete list while developing spirits, since there seems to be a decent amount of work fine tuning each one, it's not something they just threw in last minute like a Mii Costume.

And we've literally seen spirits of confirmed fighters already, so it's not like any of this discussion even matters. Spirits do not deconfirm fighters for DLC.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They probably did but they almost certainly didn't go "No don't put that .jpeg of that character in the game because we might make them DLC. Maybe."
It's probably a lot easier to tailor Spirits than it is to tailor DLC, and with Nintendo handpicking the characters this time around, a large majority of characters that are spirits likely aren't up for the running because they're just not enough of a promotional draw at the moment (Bandanna Dee, Elma, and - unfortunately - Dixie, spring to mind here). Characters that likely wouldn't be a spirit would be characters from titles that are too recent or in development, or third party characters. That's why I think a Three Houses rep and maybe even a Torna rep might be on the cards, but I wouldn't be surprised if DLC, like in Smash 4, leans towards third party, and in this case, you're highly unlikely to see a lot of the characters that would make it in since no one's gonna negotiate a major character like a Dragon Quest rep for a jpeg.

Besides, if you ask me, assuming that a spirit = deconfirm is just way more fun personally speaking because that just means all bets are off on what to expect.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not starting development is different from knowing who/what to accommodate for. If they finalized the DLC line-up this month, then they've must've known for a while who was on the table.
Nah. If anything I'm thinking they didn't decide characters until after the game gone gold and that's probably why Nintendo did the selection. They wanted character development to be efficient as possible and I'm thinking character selection is done really early and probably doesn't take that much time at all.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
imo

Assist Trophies hard deconfirm a fighter

Mii Costumes soft deconfirm a fighter

Spirits do not deconfirm anything
I'd like to believe this, but part of me is still worried that any Spirit won't end up as a DLC character.

Time will tell though. I'd just rather not be hoping for Elma to show up as DLC for ~1 year and then have those hopes crushed.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
Is there a smash discord? Im going to have a lot of questions trying to play Smash more competitively.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
The way I see it, if Spirits deconfirm anything, then we'll either end up with a bunch of newbies who no one cares about because their game hasn't come out yet or we end up with a bunch of boring white guys who happen to be third-parties.

Either option doesn't sound particularly appealing to me.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
1) I don't think Dracula is on the normal Castlevania stage, we've only ever seen him fought in a boss arena

2) Rathalos seemed like a boss first, AT second. Capcom probably just wanted the series to be able to be repped in normal smash matches.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they include some Assist Trophies as bosses for Classic. Think Ike going vs Black Knight, or Mega Man vs Dr. Wily.

llehuty

Oct 25, 2017
Did we get any details on there being a spirit gallery or something that recreates the ones we had for the trophies?. I mean, a place to watch all of them, maybe sort them by series and get the game the first appeared and some text description.

Status
Not open for further replies.