• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you for Smash?

• Hyped

Votes: 220 23.0%
  • Super Hyped

Votes: 574 60.0%
  • I don’t know what a smash is

Votes: 162 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
it's so close

i can taste it in the air

tastes like... smash

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
If for some reason they sold spirit packs? No
Modes? depends on the mode in question
I think that these two would definitely be free DLC. I can imagine some new Spirits being added periodically (likely as tie-ins to upcoming Switch releases or the Fighters Pass characters); and Smash 4 got a few post-release modes so I could see Ultimate getting a few too.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I think that these two would definitely be free DLC. I can imagine some new Spirits being added periodically (likely as tie-ins to upcoming Switch releases or the Fighters Pass characters); and Smash 4 got a few post-release modes so I could see Ultimate getting a few too.
It was more a theoretical. I think any spirits would just come with other DLC. It's not like they sent out trophies for upcoming games or anything.

The thing with Smash 4's post-release modes is I'm wiling to bet those were in development but couldn't be finished in time. All of them had unused text, menus, music, voice clips and so on. Miiverse was explicitly on-disc, complete with its own tracks, but the actuall miiverse part of it wasn't ready. That's probably why it was all free.
Now there's plenty of Nintendo games that do produce free post-release content that wasn't either unfinished or held back but I dunno...something tells me if modes come post-release it might be as paid dlc.

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
Best Buy is still doing the $10 gift card promo with preorders (both physical and digital) so that's not a bad option. Amazon will probably get more allocations of the game in before launch though, this has happened before and they got more stock in after a day or two.

ooh thank you, I will hold out for a little while and see if amazon restocks!

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
Gimme all the music confirmations right now!!!!

Btw someone may have spotted a Figure-8 Circuit remix in a nosi video but they aren't sure. Guess we'll have to wait til more videos pop up

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
The hype curve has been really weird for Smash Ultimate.. I wonder if this will end up being the slowest OT. I have been too obsessed with Red Dead to think about Smash!
Yeah it's kind of weird that discussion is at its absolute lowest just before release. I guess that's the consequence of revealing all the characters and stages and whatnot weeks before the game releases. Maybe in hindsight that was a bad strategy.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Yeah it's kind of weird that discussion is at its absolute lowest just before release. I guess that's the consequence of revealing all the characters and stages and whatnot weeks before the game releases. Maybe in hindsight that was a bad strategy.
I think the bad strategy was front-loading the hype announcements. The biggest and most crowd pleasing new reveals were all done four full months ahead of release. So the final months were full of frenzied discussion on what else could be in store, and the reality ended up being pretty deflating.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Honestly the hype has got me tired, so I just want the game now. When it comes out I'm sure the hype will continue.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I think the bad strategy was front-loading the hype announcements. The biggest and most crowd pleasing new reveals were all done four full months ahead of release. So the final months were full of frenzied discussion on what else could be in store, and the reality ended up being pretty deflating.
Yeah, I think that's true too.

I wonder why they did it that way. Maybe they put the more exciting announcements earlier in order to decrease chance of them being leaked. Or maybe they thought good first impressions were important.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder why they did it that way. Maybe they put the more exciting announcements earlier in order to decrease chance of them being leaked. Or maybe they thought good first impressions were important.

The first Smash Direct had been trying to manage momentum from E3 one. It was slightly slowed down regardless, despite being way better executed than the second one.

The E3 Direct went overboard with reveals because Nintendo didn't have much else to show.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Smash usually starts off strong and ends on a whimper. I mean, they opened Smash 4 with freaking Mega Man.

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
The first Smash Direct had been trying to manage momentum from E3 one. It was slightly slowed down regardless, despite being way better executed than the second one.

The E3 Direct went overboard with reveals because Nintendo didn't have much else to show.
Mm, I don't know. People were hype but expectations weren't all that crazy after E3 due to Sakurai's comments about there not being that many newcomers this time around. It was after the August Direct revealed five characters in one go that people went "Sakurai wasn't serious!!" and things went nutty. I think it was that first Smash Direct that did it.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.

Yeah, pretty weird to start the announcements with Ridley, Inkling and Everybody is Here, follow-up with Simon Belmont and King K. Rool, and then close out with Incineroar, Pirahna Plant, and "oh yeah online is gonna be weird and trophies are cut"

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
they had to get out ahead of the 'wii u port' narrative that was rapidly coalescing i think

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
By the way, this is the first time I have preloaded a game and it feels amazing. I mean, IT'S ALREADY MINE!
Preloading the game has felt terrible for me. I know it's already sitting there ready to play, but i'm just not allowed to have it for another two and a half weeks or so. It's torture :(

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
For me the most hype newcomers were shown in the the last two showings ha ha

But I treat most news equally so for me it wasn't a case of front loading the announcements

We started with every veteran is back
Then we had confirmation of over 100 stages
Followed by Isabelle
And then ending with beefy single player content

It was a nice spread. Of course the most important newcomer had no other Smash news to distract from her announcement.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
A whole bunch of videos should be going up today with direct footage of Spirits Mode and World of Light. Here's a couple from the site I work for (sadly I didn't get to play it myself!)

Couple things worth noting -

• XBX's Lin pops up as a Spirit, but there are a bunch of other interesting ones too. Tatsu is also in, but I dunno if he made the cut in this vid.
  • Funky's Fugue is a song that plays during a Swanky Kong Spirit match, dunno if that one's popped up yet?
  • The first "branch" in World of Light is Marth, Villager and Sheik, each representing the three Spirit types.
  • Bomberman's Spirit blows up walls to advance, and you vroom around the Mario Kart track in an F-Zero vehicle
  • Excitebike's remix from Mario Kart 8 is in, and Wario is the one with the Excitebike spirit (obviously)
  • Mario + Smoky Progg isn't where you fight the real Mario, he's a little later on and it seems like every unlockable character is fought on Final Destination. Also, here's the splash screen when you unlock em.
melawr1.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018
Swanky Kong? I can finally use this word in a sentence. "Megaton".

And wow, that's a pretty cool detail with the Urbosa spirit with the electrified floor.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
did you guys see?

Classic mode is even more different than we thought. Side-scrolling bonus game and Master Hand isn't the boss, they seem to be from WoL :O at least, Wolf's boss is Galleom and Duck Hunt's Rathalos

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Full game of Classic mode here:

Mario has a themed fight against all the Koopalings and look, sidescrolling!

MMJ3jfB.jpg

New Super Mario Bros. 3 final boss remix too, maybe?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Additionally, GameXplain had 30 minutes with World of Light and unlocked only 3 characters. Said it seems pretty meaty!

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Palutena's Guidance is back AND updated to include the new characters and even updated some (but not all) of the old characters! Yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.