• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you for Smash?

• Hyped

Votes: 220 23.0%
  • Super Hyped

Votes: 574 60.0%
  • I don’t know what a smash is

Votes: 162 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else think Smash Bros was maybe meant to launch last week? It would have made sense based on the last direct timing (why leave a month between the last big blowout and launch?) and to get it out before Black Friday. Feels like it got bumped back from some earlier planned date.

To prevent any leaks, as they tend to happen around this time especially with review copies going out. Also I don't think Direct dates are set as early and as in-stone as you're implying.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else think Smash Bros was maybe meant to launch last week? It would have made sense based on the last direct timing (why leave a month between the last big blowout and launch?) and to get it out before Black Friday. Feels like it got bumped back from some earlier planned date.
No.

They left a month between the last big blowout and launch because it would get into the hands of reviewers anyway and things would be in danger of leaking.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really understand wanting a generic Monster Hunter as a character. Aren't the monsters the real stars anyway?

Kind of. The Hunters themselves are iconic too. The recent PSOII collaboration for example added not only armors and a monster, but also lobby actions that mimicked Monster hunter animations, like drinking and raising their hands or carving the monster parts.

There are also multiple ways a monster hunter character could be implemented, like mixing multiple weapons together like the one in MvCI, or heavily incorporating items, like setting up explosive barrels and traps, or drinking/eating to power up.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kind of. The Hunters themselves are iconic too. The recent PSOII collaboration for example added not only armors and a monster, but also lobby actions that mimicked Monster hunter animations, like drinking and raising their hands or carving the monster parts.

There are also multiple ways a monster hunter character could be implemented, like mixing multiple weapons together like the one in MvCI, or heavily incorporating items, like setting up explosive barrels and traps, or drinking/eating to power up.

There's also the option to use Palicoes or Felynes, since those have become the quasi-mascot of the franchise beyond the actual monsters.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
The direct it just a video, they can delay it 24 hours before if they want, as we saw earlier this year with the general direct being delayed due to extreme weather

Oct 25, 2017
Last night I dreamed that the first DLC character revealed was Chibi-Robo. I've never played those games and have no attachment to the character, but there he was.

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
People gotta remember that we had the 50-Facts Direct almost a month before Wii U launch. It's nothing new!

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
game-specific directs pretty much always happen a month before launch

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
The male Rathalos armor is fine. The female set is just awful.

Either don't wear a helmet at all or cover your damn face.
This is how I feel. On top of that, I generally prefer the light armor sets to begin with, but in this case it's the helmet.

That said, I thought it looked better in MvC:I than it does in MH games.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A friend of mine moved a few years back, and didn't own a 3DS or Wii U. I'm planning to visit him with my Switch after I unlock everyone.

Imagine going from Brawl to Ultimate. LOL.

His favorite character is Kirby.

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
It's not armor! It's a tube top and a loincloth!

Monster Hunter has always had a problem with the women's armor trying to look sexy or cute instead of being, you know, armors, and Kirin is just the prime example of this.

I honestly sometimes wish more of the male armor took some cues from the female armor, specifically, I want the helmet to show their face more often.

Mar 9, 2018
Sakurais' translator voice:
(Characters shown fighting on a kaizo SMB3 level)

What's this? That's not on the stage list! Yes, that's right. You can now upload custom stages created in Super Mario Maker Switch and use them in Super Smash Bros Ultimate! Share your creations with your friends or the entire world via a special stage code. This is coming in a future update very soon. So please stay tuned."

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Robin is today's character (did the English Twitter post it early this time, I haven't been paying attention to this place the last couple days.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Robin is today's character (did the English Twitter post it early this time, I haven't been paying attention to this place the last couple days.

doesn't seem like it,

it's up on the blog at least
Today's Fighter
#56: Robin

A fighter that wields the Levin Sword and four different Tomes! Like in the original game, these weapons can only be used a certain number of times, so keep a close eye on the battle situation. Both the male and female versions of Robin are available, so you can choose your favorite.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
There are only eight of these guys left now! This game is so close, I can't wait.
2YvU3I1.jpg

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
In Day 2 of 'I can't beleive Castlevania music is in Smash Ultimate' we're sticking with Haunted Castle and spotlighting the track "Can't Wait Until Night"/"Don't Wait Until Night"
Ok, so this one is a little confusing. The track was listed during the Direct as "Can't Wait Until Night" but from what I've seen the official name is "Don't Wait Until Night". This track serves as the final Stage theme for Haunted Castle. That entire stage consisting of a ridiculously long bridge you need to walk across while avoding oncoming bats as the bridge crumbles beneath your feet. At the end of the bridge you finally reach Dracula's Castle and fight the man himself and end that terrible game.

The track was later remixed for the Harmony of Despair OST, where it was blended into a medley with "Heart of Fire" from the original CastleVania. I'm not sure if this is the version we'll get in Ultimate as it was only listed by itself and not as part of a medley like "Bloody Tears/Monster Dance" was. The Harmony of Despair OST only lists the track as Heart of Fire as well with no mention of Don't Wait Until Night, putting odds on an original Smash Ultimate remix as pretty good? I still think the majoirty of those 34 tracks are Harmony of Despair and Judgment rips as that is what we've mostly heard so far

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
c'mon gamefreak pull your weird marketing strings and make mewtwo the final update so you can advertise Let's Go the day Ultimate comes out

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
In Day 2 of 'I can't beleive Castlevania music is in Smash Ultimate' we're sticking with Haunted Castle and spotlighting the track "Can't Wait Until Night"/"Don't Wait Until Night"
It was also brought back for Aria of Sorrow when you fought Julius.

The HoD version is a remix of that version which is why it has Heart of Fire from CV1.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, so this one is a little confusing. The track was listed during the Direct as "Can't Wait Until Night" but from what I've seen the official name is "Don't Wait Until Night". This track serves as the final Stage theme for Haunted Castle. That entire stage consisting of a ridiculously long bridge you need to walk across while avoding oncoming bats as the bridge crumbles beneath your feet. At the end of the bridge you finally reach Dracula's Castle and fight the man himself and end that terrible game.

The track was later remixed for the Harmony of Despair OST, where it was blended into a medley with "Heart of Fire" from the original CastleVania. I'm not sure if this is the version we'll get in Ultimate as it was only listed by itself and not as part of a medley like "Bloody Tears/Monster Dance" was. The Harmony of Despair OST only lists the track as Heart of Fire as well with no mention of Don't Wait Until Night, putting odds on an original Smash Ultimate remix as pretty good? I still think the majoirty of those 34 tracks are Harmony of Despair and Judgment rips as that is what we've mostly heard so far

It was also brought back for Aria of Sorrow when you fought Julius.

The HoD version is a remix of that version which is why it has Heart of Fire from CV1.

In the Japanese version of Harmony of Despair, it is titled "Don't Wait Until Night", not "Heart of Fire". The Direct had some direct translations of the Japanese titles rather than looking up what the localized track names were.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I don't think there's a single Star Fox song, that's ever been in Smash, that hasn't been confirmed.

So at least we know all the old songs, remixes and rips, are in

The final Star Fox Song is probably just Star Wolf from Zero

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I partly expect don't wait until night to be the Aria Heart of Fire combo from Harmony of Despair.
If only because Heart of Fire itself is basically the only missing track from CV1 in the music list.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that the CV music list isn't just Judgment + HoD + a handful of remixes.

I'd like to here some new remixes. I was listening to most of the Judgment and HoD songs in Project M years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.