• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you for Smash?

• Hyped

Votes: 220 23.0%
  • Super Hyped

Votes: 574 60.0%
  • I don’t know what a smash is

Votes: 162 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
they should just bite the bullet and make that canyon cliff area a stage already

it has more appearances in smash than some characters have games

Does this Melee image count? You can't see a canyon, but it looks similar.

images

If so, that canyon has been in 4 out of 5 Smash games.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I don't think Chrom was necessarily a "last-minute addition." Sakurai just makes weird fucking choices about Smash sometimes. Like Alph not being an echo fighter or Dark Pit requiring his own final smash (despite bigger lore-gaffes still existing like Falco driving a Landmaster or Young Link using Triforce Slash even though he shouldn't even have the Triforce yet).
Kid icarus characters new to be canon

Zelda characters ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't they be in a grassland for once and not some wasteland like a deserted canyon? Nintendo is suppose to be colorful!!!

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
According to Vaanrose, he said that it's easier and cheaper to make barren wastelands and cliffs than making another kind of environment. I completely can see that and it make sense since it have been around for three-four iterations.

And mopinks is right. Melee opening is E3 announcement trailer.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I finally beat Dragon Quest XI the other day. (Fuck Sugiyama.)

Should I try to make it through Torna before Smash Ultimate comes out?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Presumably Link Between Worlds, because that came out in the middle of Smash 4's development.

It could be from ALBW ("Death Mountain" alone doesn't give us a lto to go on here), but release timing wouldn't mean much for it. It already had 3 tracks in Smash 4

Why can't they be in a grassland for once and not some wasteland like a deserted canyon? Nintendo is suppose to be colorful!!!
Smash likes to play itself up as faux-serious. Like it is incredibly goofy but it takes its goofyness very seriously.
Gritty barren canyon/cliff sides make all the colorful characters and their actiosn pop more, is I'm guessing the idea.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Different tangent but I wonder how many Brawl stages they could simply make if they allocated all the SSE stage budget to that. (Brawl gave us plenty of new stages but it's a fun thing to think about)
Sakurai
Right. Blessed with such an opportunity, I tried to think of ways we could enable players to more thoroughly enjoy such a rare all-star lineup and, in the end, I pulled a power play. To put it simply, the Adventure Mode is like a stand-alone title offered in the same package. In terms of development work as well, it was like making two distinct games.

Iwata
So, what it shares with the multiplayer mode are the character data and programming for basic movements. Everything else is different, right?

Sakurai
Right. We had to change the basic game systems for the two modes. Also, even though character movements are pretty much the same, we made adjustments to things like the speed at which characters run for the Adventure Mode.
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/ssbb/3/0

SSE as a whole was basically making an entirely separate game and I'm guessing Brawl was budgeted accordingly to accommodate it.
It made a bunch of stages
8 unique bosses
the sticker power up system probably needed time to go through and balance out each one
they had to change up the physics and properties of some characters

Maybe it's not literally like making Brawl twice, but it was probably a considerable undertaking in terms of development time & money.

I know the cutscene quote is taken on face value a lot, but I think SSE 2 was never going to happen in Smash 4 regardless due to literally making a second game. And even with WoL we're seeing a central compromise in progress.

which is all to say if they got exactly that amount of time & money and could apply it to the rest of the game (& wasn't given in a lump sum where X amount was to be spent on SSE specifically) it could have been "a lot, probably"

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
#SmashBros countdown! It's interesting that they actually made full-fledged CGI trailer for Mii Fighters to used only for a commercial Do you like the concept of Mii Fighter? did you use it? #SmashBrosUltimate

wPkcSOC.gif

I like Mii swordsman just for the discus

I'm making a Mii fighter Amiibo for my brother right now for Xmas. 3D printing the head to look like his and then using the FP fighter to train it up with his face on both!

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I wonder how different Brawl would have ended up if Sakurai's original plan of getting a second studio to develop Subspace went through.

At a minimum, I think we probably would've seen all of the cut veterans return.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
honestly, I think Ultimate hitting 69 fighters and 103 stages is probably because they're not dumping budget on a second game or SSE

it's been noted that each additional fighter is harder to add than the last and the workload is exponential due to balancing concerns, and even with most of the stages returning from previous entries, they've all been heavily reworked as opposed to being straight ports

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
honestly, I think Ultimate hitting 69 fighters and 103 stages is probably because they're not dumping budget on a second game or SSE

it's been noted that each additional fighter is harder to add than the last and the workload is exponential due to balancing concerns, and even with most of the stages returning from previous entries, they've all been heavily reworked as opposed to being straight ports
and i mean, trophies were decided to be cut ealier on just for more development to be put elsewhere
I bet the same thing applies to Stage Builder, Target Blast/Test/Whatever

Spirits probably had so much put into it because they could reuse it for a collection aspect, eqipment, Spirits Board and World of LIght. Spirits as a whole effectively replaces the Event mode and Special/Crazy orders

qq more

Oct 25, 2017

Makes me wonder, if they were to continue the "Ultimate" formula the next game (ie having everyone back again), would they have way more room to make more new stages given there isn't many stages to rework?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Makes me wonder, if they were to continue the "Ultimate" formula the next game (ie having everyone back again), would they have way more room to make more new stages given there isn't many stages to rework?
Probably depends on a lot of different factors. Porting still takes a fair amount of work, by Sakurai's own admission and then you need to account for the team assembled, the system being ported to, will they still need to give touch ups to all the stages, are there engine issues they have to retest and so on.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
#SmashBros countdown! It's interesting that they actually made full-fledged CGI trailer for Mii Fighters to used only for a commercial Do you like the concept of Mii Fighter? did you use it? #SmashBrosUltimate

wPkcSOC.gif
I mained Mii Brawler. In fact I've been making a bunch of new Mii and then going to go through the laborious process of moving them all to the Switch to populate my system.

Also never seen that particular Mii advert before. Only the AKB48 one.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see that trailer either, or at least I don't remember it. The mirror thing is fun. I wish I came up with that one myself.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I wouldn't mind having another Death Mountain song since ALBW's soundtrack is aces, but do we know for sure Hidden Mountain and Forest wasn't renamed?

(Where did that name come from, anyway?)

It could be from ALBW ("Death Mountain" alone doesn't give us a lto to go on here), but release timing wouldn't mean much for it. It already had 3 tracks in Smash 4

Are you thinking of Dark World?

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
While both adverts reuse bits and pieces (the final 3DS footage montage is basically identical) it's kind of funny to think Mii Fighters got the most trailers out of any newcomer, especially when you include the Reggie vs Iwata fight.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
While both adverts reuse bits and pieces (the final 3DS footage montage is basically identical) it's kind of funny to think Mii Fighters got the most trailers out of any newcomer, especially when you include the Reggie vs Iwata fight.
And they made a huge deal about Abe Lincoln being able to fight Ice T and Elijah Wood...and then blocked them from online because Hitler ruins absolutely everything.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
and i mean, trophies were decided to be cut ealier on just for more development to be put elsewhere
I bet the same thing applies to Stage Builder, Target Blast/Test/Whatever

Spirits probably had so much put into it because they could reuse it for a collection aspect, eqipment, Spirits Board and World of LIght. Spirits as a whole effectively replaces the Event mode and Special/Crazy orders
I can kinda see this argument being applied to Break the Targets, even though I still disagree (it's linear to number of characters, while balance is quadratic). But Stage Builder really should be doable, unless of course they just don't have a good idea what to do with it.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It's unfortunate how character customization in general was piled up as one of the big new defining features of Smash 4, only for it all to turn out so poorly to the point where they didn't even bother giving the DLC characters custom moves

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I can kinda see this argument being applied to Break the Targets, even though I still disagree (it's linear to number of characters, while balance is quadratic). But Stage Builder really should be doable, unless of course they just don't have a good idea what to do with it.
I guarantee you that Stage Builder is more complex to build than it appears, especially if they want to make it good

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018

wPkcSOC.gif

Mii Fighters were awful in Smash 4 but I'm hoping that Gunner is fun at least in Ultimate. Normalized height/weight and actually being able to use them online gives me some hope.

Sea Lily

Oct 31, 2018
Are there any good videos taking a look at Palutena or Dedede in Ultimate? I've found stuff for pretty much everyone else I'm interested in playing but for whatever reason those two just don't seem to be getting any love. Even if they're still not hugely improved I'd just like to know what's going on with them.

Palutena's changes seem pretty significant and I think she's worth a look due to that

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brawl's Stage Builder mostly cribbed from SSE assets, which is why they had so much available. I doubt that would exist without SSE.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Anyone else thinking there's probably a hidden character in the base game? From memory (because google was no help) wasn't there at least one hidden in every game? I remember Duck Hunt from 4, I think Nes and Luigi were secret characters.... and I think maybe Young Link in Melee??

If there is a hidden character what do you guys think it'll be?
I think its weird that theres a stage and an assist trophy/boss for Monster Hunter but no character..... UNLESS THERE IS! :O What if in World of Light you are fighting rathalos getting your butt whooped, and then MH decends from on high and destroys it :D

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Anyone else thinking there's probably a hidden character in the base game? From memory (because google was no help) wasn't there at least one hidden in every game? I remember Duck Hunt from 4, I think Nes and Luigi were secret characters.... and I think maybe Young Link in Melee??

I think its weird that theres a stage and an assist trophy/boss for Monster Hunter but no character..... UNLESS THERE IS! :O What if in World of Light you are fighting rathalos getting your butt whooped, and then MH decends from on high and destroys it :D
There are no hidden characters in the base game. Sakurai said during the August Direct that everyone was being revealed before launch, and emphasized that everyone in the base game has been revealed after Ken and Incineroar were revealed.

Sea Lily

Oct 31, 2018

They usually kept a few secret for launch day, but this time around they've been very upfront about every character being announced before launch. I don't think there's anyone else hiding in the game.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Sakurai specifically said this time that he was revealing everyone before launch, unlike with the previous games.

In any case though, hidden characters were generally just veterans, clones, the obligatory new classic character and then only two or even one new character beyond the retro addition.

Out_Of_Ammo

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Are there any good videos taking a look at Palutena or Dedede in Ultimate? I've found stuff for pretty much everyone else I'm interested in playing but for whatever reason those two just don't seem to be getting any love. Even if they're still not hugely improved I'd just like to know what's going on with them.

Palutena's changes seem pretty significant and I think she's worth a look due to that
Don't know about Palutena, but Dedede got a few buffs. This video goes over them nicely.

100% Gordo stick is the big one.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Brawl's Stage Builder mostly cribbed from SSE assets, which is why they had so much available. I doubt that would exist without SSE.
And even then it was probably still a developmental effort to make, like, the actual builder.

The Smash 4, as piddly as it was, probably also took its fair share just because of the touch screen thing. Imagine how many things you would have to test to verify it's working properly in how it generates, how it functions as a stage, how it interacts with items, how it interacts with the touch screen in genearl and so on.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If Monster Hunter were a secret character, surely they wouldn't have shown the MonHun content prior to release.

There's no stage.
Just for the boss fight in World of Light, but there's no MH stage where you can fight against other players.

I mean they still had to create that background. I find it really odd it's there without a stage associated with it, if they could've just used, idk, Gaur Plains or something as a background for Rathalos.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
qq more on your music list at line 92, I believe you mixed up the Song Name with the Source

also, is there a reason the Subspace Step songs aren't listed?

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I don't really understand wanting a generic Monster Hunter as a character. Aren't the monsters the real stars anyway?

Sea Lily

Oct 31, 2018
Don't know about Palutena, but Dedede got a few buffs. This video goes over them nicely.

100% Gordo stick is the big one.

oh rad, thanks! Yeah this is super nice to see. just having the character functioning properly and getting some small buffs like the gordo stick makes a big difference in viability even casually.

Hopefully someone's working on a Palutena video somewhere

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else think Smash Bros was maybe meant to launch last week? It would have made sense based on the last direct timing (why leave a month between the last big blowout and launch?) and to get it out before Black Friday. Feels like it got bumped back from some earlier planned date.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand wanting a generic Monster Hunter as a character. Aren't the monsters the real stars anyway?
Hunters are really cool though. They have interesting armor, crazy weapons, a lot of fun moves, and so on. I think there is a pretty big character focus in the series in addition to the monsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.