• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you for Smash?

• Hyped

Votes: 220 23.0%
  • Super Hyped

Votes: 574 60.0%
  • I don’t know what a smash is

Votes: 162 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also didn't all of the other Dante "leaks" either say A. He would be in base B. Had characters who ended up not being in at all or C. Didn't have a character who did end up being in?
The original Dante leak, which is the same leak that got all the DMCV info right, didn't mention any other characters being in or not.

Overall my thoughts are that it's within the realm of possibility that a CG trailer was already in the works/"done" in some form even if he doesn't release until next year. I'm skeptical though.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
The original Dante leak, which is the same leak that got all the DMCV info right, didn't mention any other characters being in or not.

Overall my thoughts are that it's within the realm of possibility that a CG trailer was already in the works/"done" in some form even if he doesn't release until next year. I'm skeptical though.
Yeah but the original one is provably false too as the post-Plant DLC only just began development.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
Guys, one question I had for a long time while reading the Smash Bros threads: who the hell is "ST Falcon"??

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Guys, one question I had for a long time while reading the Smash Bros threads: who the hell is "ST Falcon"??

Main character of the SNES light gun game Battle Clash: http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_Clash

BattleClash_ST_Falcon.png

It's the mech that you, as the player, are riding in during the game.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo rep: "Everyone here is waiting to play Overcooked 2, right?"

What do you mean by this?

Switch supports 8 controllers simultaneously, so I would assume it's 8 Pros or 4 sets of two Joy-Cons.
I was pretty sure I read somewhere it used to cap off at 4 except for Joy-Con pairs taking one slot. If it handles 8 normally, that's great.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah his foreward air replaces the .... IDK pizza box? no idea what it was.

Now the move has him hold a bomb in front of him, which'll fall down if he hits nobody with it.
his old forward air was based on Mario Bros, which was wrapped up...c-cases of bottles?
Instead of plumbing, Mario and Luigi are working at a bottling factory and must prepare packages of bottles to load onto a delivery truck.
Gandwmbros.jpg

Game & Watch Gallery 3 & 4's Modern versions made it cakes.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I'm glad that Dante, who by definition must be a DLC character, is already in such a state that he has:
-an alt skin
-a fully completed cg trailer
-promotional shots
-i'm pretty sure the original description of the trailer showed off gameplay??

by the end of september while the one DLC character we do know about is still incomplete, had no cg trailer and will not be released until February.

The rest of his information is legitimate but that doesn't mean all his information is. We've seen that with plenty of insiders as is. Beat for beat descriptions of CG trailers always bring out the side eye in me, regardless.

I'm allowed to hope. Until 2020 in the meantime I'm also supporting Elma

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but the original one is provably false too as the post-Plant DLC only just began development.

While it's not entirely likely that all sorts of promos and trailers are ready, I think it's being a bit naive to assume that the post-launch development has only just began even if they say they are just starting "development". What activities are considered development is a very hazy and all the planning, IP agreements, concept work to determine choices, etc may not be included when devs say that.

I know it certainly makes for better optics to tell people (full) development is just starting, but I would bet it's not as clean cut as saying no preliminary work has begun at all until the game is done, so now it's time to start working on DLC from scratch. There has to be some overlap.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda wish Roy would just stop and go back to being the scum that he is at the bottom of the tier list

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
While it's not entirely likely that all sorts of promos and trailers are ready, I think it's being a bit naive to assume that the post-launch development has only just began even if they say they are just starting "development". What activities are considered development is a very hazy and all the planning, IP agreements, concept work to determine choices, etc may not be included when devs say that.

I know it certainly makes for better optics to tell people (full) development is just starting, but I would bet it's not as clean cut as saying no preliminary work has begun at all until the game is done, so now it's time to start working on DLC from scratch. There has to be some overlap.
Yeah but that person was saying there was a full CG trailer with voice acting and finished gameplay footage.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way to know if that is actually true or just PR. Regardless, a CG trailer could be done far in advance of development starting at all, and if there is actually gameplay used, it can be early dev placeholder until more finalized gameplay is available.

Exactly.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that Dante, who by definition must be a DLC character, is already in such a state that he has:
-an alt skin
-a fully completed cg trailer
-promotional shots
-i'm pretty sure the original description of the trailer showed off gameplay??

by the end of september while the one DLC character we do know about is still incomplete, had no cg trailer and will not be released until February.

The rest of his information is legitimate but that doesn't mean all his information is. We've seen that with plenty of insiders as is. Beat for beat descriptions of CG trailers always bring out the side eye in me, regardless.
I see three ways out of this.
  • This guy is lying.
  • Sakurai is off with the truth to some degree, and Translated Sakurai is straight lying, and DLC is in progress. Maybe main Smash ream was ignoring DLC until now but outsourcing dept. wasn't, or something like that.
  • This guy isn't strictly lying but confused. The game is not Smash, it's just similar.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017

Every time people don't take Sakurai at his word, they lose

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Kinda wish Roy would just stop and go back to being the scum that he is at the bottom of the tier list

Roy was always solidly mid-tier. Indeed, it was surprising in jumping from Melee to For that he ended up basically exactly where he was before on the tier list (if you control for the different number of characters).

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every time people don't take Sakurai at his word, they lose
That's not true.

But regardless of Sakurai's word specifically, game developers and publishers lie to the public all the time. They will say there are no plans for things that are then announced two weeks later. They say anything to keep things a surprise, or to keep expectations in check, or to try to seem more benevolent than they actually are.

And that last one is definitely the reason for saying no DLC development is starting until after the game releases. But that is frankly implausible and definitely not what is going to happen. Every other developer on the planet starts developing DLC before the release of the game. And this one has too.

Exhibit A is Piranha Plant, who is absolutely DLC and who is already in a near-final state that was shown off. We also already know the paid DLC characters have been decided. And probably a long time ago too. It is naive to think no DLC development has begun on this game, despite the game not yet releasing, just because that is what they are saying. They literally showed off DLC already.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Where is it from, what does it even mean, and just what in general.

New york Comic Con party is where it is from.
The man in the glasses dancing is Itsuno the maker of several DMC titles.
What means is more what it is . A meme sprouted from DMC5's trailer song Devil Trigger
tenor.gif

This meme has evolved with many mannnny characters doing this dance in one huge gif it caught on like wildfire

Flash forward to New York Comic Con. There was an after party and Itsuno above and a DMC2 Dante beside him along with everyone else at the party decided to make this meme dance a reality.

The rest is history.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain to me how global smash power is calculated again? Do wins and losses matter for it?

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
That's not true.

But regardless of Sakurai's word specifically, game developers and publishers lie to the public all the time. They will say there are no plans for things that are then announced two weeks later. They say anything to keep things a surprise, or to keep expectations in check, or to try to seem more benevolent than they actually are.

And that last one is definitely the reason for saying no DLC development is starting until after the game releases. But that is frankly implausible and definitely not what is going to happen. Every other developer on the planet starts developing DLC before the release of the game. And this one has too.

Exhibit A is Piranha Plant, who is absolutely DLC and who is already in a near-final state that was shown off. We also already know the paid DLC characters have been decided. And probably a long time ago too. It is naive to think no DLC development has begun on this game, despite the game not yet releasing, just because that is what they are saying. They literally showed off DLC already.
What? Sakurai was explicitly talking about the Fighters Pass characters. Piranha Plant was what they were working on before the release of the game.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
iHVbI0T.png

I'm tired of people thinking I'm crazy when time after time something happens AGAIN giving more Credence to Dante in smash. Today was the nail of confidence for me.

HERE WE GO

Donte in Smash? I thought Heihachi would be the first Playstation All-Stars character to make it in.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Have we seen any USUM tracks? Considering how long they waited on Incineroar it feels like it'd be easy to include some USUM rips if nothing else. Maybe they'll be shop unlocks.

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Every time I walk by my Switch, I stare longingly at it, knowing Smash is already preloaded. :-\

I really don't feel a desire to play anything in the meantime. Lots of good stuff I could play on PS4, but ehhh... Will wait for Smash.

Too busy IRL anyways.

This is my current situation, at least I play OW a little but... I can't concentrate on it for long.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
That's not true.

It also depends on what Sakurai counts as "full development". For example, we know that Sakurai plans attack animations with action figures:

GDC-Scan-02.png

Does this stuff that Sakurai does himself mean that the character is currently in development? I think so, but he might not consider development to have properly started until it's in the hands of the programmers, modelers, animators, etc. and real assets have begun to be created.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What? Sakurai was explicitly talking about the Fighters Pass characters. Piranha Plant was what they were working on before the release of the game.
Allegedly. But it's just an official update to the much earlier previous statements that no DLC was planned before the game would release. And those statements were proven pure bull with Piranha Plant's reveal.

Development of subsequent characters has definitely started. The staff that would be used for such development are not otherwise engaged with what is left to do on Ultimate before it release, and wouldn't have been for the last few months.

It also depends on what Sakurai counts as "full development". For example, we know that Sakurai plans attack animations with action figures:

GDC-Scan-02.png

Does this stuff that Sakurai does himself mean that the character is currently in development? I think so, but he might not consider development to have properly started until it's in the hands of the programmers, modelers, animators, etc. and real assets have begun to be created.
I agree that is already development, but I think it is past that point anyways. What exactly do you think these people are doing on a day to day basis after the base game has been content locked and is going through the debug process?

Status
Not open for further replies.