• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you for Smash?

• Hyped

Votes: 220 23.0%
  • Super Hyped

Votes: 574 60.0%
  • I don’t know what a smash is

Votes: 162 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly I'd be fine with either Doom Guy or Dovahkiin(aside from reminding me that I still need to play both those games and my backlog is already fucking huge.)
You'll never complete Skyrim even if you start it ever ever 7 years later I'll never finish it ever it haunts me it mocks me one more DUNGEON

... Doom is solid 10 hours though, do it.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
So Nintendo of America and Europe are publishing the physical release of Travis Strikes Again ah?
409.jpg

I don't think this means anything for him in Smash but I have hope dammit!

It now officially counts as a promotion!

Distribution is different from publishing. Grasshopper is self-publishing the game. They're still paying for all the carts, boxes etc themselves. Nintendo is getting the game into stores that carry their products. It's a different situation compared to Octopath Traveler in the West, where Nintendo fronted most of the costs.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
WOL should have a 100% bonus where all 76 characters (the actual trainer included, no cloud) do the Kirby dance

Kinglypuff

Nov 13, 2018
I'm going to be very mad if at the end of the DLC season Dixie is still snubbed of a character slot. I know K.Rool is a very popular character and I'm glad he's in, but I still can't get my head around the fact that he made it in and she did not.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I feel like had the leak not happened, Ryu probably would have ranked 2nd to Cloud in terms of DLC announcements. Still, there's no denying how Ryu was probably the most unique character in Smash at the time considering how Sakurai actually gave Ryu input commands. A literal series first alongside with a input sensitivity to change the properties of his attacks. It honestly makes me wish somewhat that this could have been done with more fighters besides Ryu and Ken, but it probably would get too complicated if we were to go down that path...

Then again, there's always a good chance one of the 5 DLCs could follow suite as well... MAKE TEKKEN ONE OF THOSE FIVE NINTENDO!
I still like to imagine Ryu getting announced at EVO. People would've lost there mind.

Even still, seeing Ryu's get officially announced was surreal for me. Watching it for the first time felt like seeing my wildest (video game) dreams come true.

Denryu

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
That Pichu kid is a delinquent! Joining up with criminals like Team Aqua and Team Skull, someone needs to put a stop to that rascals antics.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Distribution is different from publishing. Grasshopper is self-publishing the game. They're still paying for all the carts, boxes etc themselves. Nintendo is getting the game into stores that carry their products. It's a different situation compared to Octopath Traveler in the West, where Nintendo fronted most of the costs.

Same thing with Bayonetta 2. Nintendo funded the game.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Is there a list of known differences between echo fighters and their counterparts? (Or at least Richter?)
Chrom has a different up special and no hilt sweetspot mechanic
Ken has a bunch of changes and is closer to a semi-clone than an echo
Richter, Daisy and Dark Samus, we probably won't know their differences until the game releases and we can do more testing and data mining

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a list of known differences between echo fighters and their counterparts? (Or at least Richter?)
Ken: has several moves of his own (some are just variants of Ryu, others seem about his own). Like his shoryuken does multihit and has trouble killing, he has a few strong kick attacks, he does an extra backroll on his backthrow and so on. The rest seems to be Ryu. Really puts the other echeos to shame
Dark Samus: Electrical effects isntead of fire. We thought the roll was better but it seems to have the same frame data. The dash attack seems to have a bigger hitbox. She has a weird double jump animation that might have a different hitbox?
Chrom: His power is the average of Roy's sourspot and sweetspot (like Lucina with Marth), I think his up smash is a single strike instead of multi hit, and he has Ike's up special.

The other two I'm not sure of tbh
Daisy: Slightly shorter than Peach. Front air might have a smaller hitbox? Back air might have a longer hitbox??
Richter: Might have a different jab? One of his whip attacks is angeled differently? There was a reddit post saying that it seemed he had a faster whip & projectile at the expense of shorter range on them, but I don't think that's been confirmed.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
bRUY2OZ.jpg

I was going to screencap the page where it displays the final text box ("Why did Woolly World Die For This") properly but...no, this is better. This works.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sad that Samus apparently got nerfed into oblivion..I'm gonna hold out hope she gets some buffs before or around release.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be very mad if at the end of the DLC season Dixie is still snubbed of a character slot. I know K.Rool is a very popular character and I'm glad he's in, but I still can't get my head around the fact that he made it in and she did not.
I'm the furthest thing from a K. Rool fan but as an addition to a fighting game lineup he's like 1000x more interesting than Dixie Kong

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any differences between Young Link and Toon Link's moves besides the arrows?
Different sizes. It seems like YL has significantly less lag on...everything in his kit. YL has kicks, TL has his sword swipes and stuff. TL has a new forward smash or tilt (maybe both). There's probably more misc differences, like in how their attacks function, but there hasn't been a lot of YL play time to go off of

1Ux4SFL.jpg

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Regardless of whether one's opinion on if K. Rool or Dixie should have been in before the other, both were in roughly the same tier of notability and importance to their home series that I feel like pitting them against each other is wrong and mostly comes down to personal preference. K. Rool isn't some obscure literally who and Dixie isn't an S tier video game icon. I don't know why it has to be one or the other in the fans' eyes.

Personally, outside of his massive popularity, I think Sakurai saw an opportunity to use Smash to revive K. Rool, especially if the rumor is true that Retro Studios wanted to use K. Rool in the Tropical Freeze port but Sakurai claimed first dibs on publicly reviving the character.

With only enough resources/time for a few unique characters, and Dixie being a Diddy echo likely not doable, I can easily see why one made it and the other didn't. Dixie's competition was freaking brutal this go around.

Status
Not open for further replies.