• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you for Smash?

• Hyped

Votes: 220 23.0%
  • Super Hyped

Votes: 574 60.0%
  • I don’t know what a smash is

Votes: 162 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sakurai was never gonna brand characters from the fan favourite game in the series as second class. Echoes only came out as a way to delude the people who whined that Dark Pit and Lucina "took" a spot in Smash 4, since they use different nomenclature. Nothing has changed about the ways clones are implemented, in reality.

The current clones are way closer to their source than the old Melee clones though. Probably because of balancing reasons.

First thing I will do is dart to the Tips section. Or maybe try and send an email?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
71Ml9JXMk6L._SL1500_.jpg
When you realise amiibo were ahead of the curve and Link had been teasing his cryonis rune years in advance, gotta freeze something for a platform when traditional water means are out of the equation.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai was never gonna brand characters from the fan favourite game in the series as second class. Echoes only came out as a way to delude the people who whined that Dark Pit and Lucina "took" a spot in Smash 4, since they use different nomenclature. Nothing has changed about the ways clones are implemented, in reality.
Except Doctor Mario was grouped together with Dark Pit and Lucina in SSB4.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Except Doctor Mario was grouped together with Dark Pit and Lucina in SSB4.
Yet nobody whined about Doctor Mario in Smash 4 because, again, he was a returning veteran from the fan favourite game.

Basically what I'm saying is that people who whine about clones/echoes are manbabies.

Ken is closer to some of the Melee clones in terms of usability, yes. Especially Melee Dr Mario.
You caught me before the edit, I had misread your post

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Diasy had more effort put into her Final Smash than many characters considering all the unique art drawn for it.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a list of likely DLC characters that the community has come up with? Or is it still all over the place?
Nope now that it seems that Rex and Spring Man were seemingly knocked out it's pretty much put a huge question mark on what they want to do. It just goes down to what you think happened in development.

Did they make the AT and Mii Costume during development because they wanted to have something in the game so fans wouldn't feel miffed because they would be DLC or are they offering it because they know they won't be DLC. Could it be that they're not DLC because they want to focus on upcoming 2019 releases for advertising purposes or going all out with guest fighters.

Personally I don't really think the Mii Costume and AT means much of anything and I'm on the side that thinks they made it in during development so they could have something of them for the base game and they still have a solid shot at being DLC. However though now that the seeds of doubt are there it makes it really difficult for people to come to a consensus on what they want to do.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
["I'm focused right now on playing Ridley," Fils-Aimé said, referencing one of the brand new characters coming to Smash. "My strategy is simple. It is a well-known fact that I am not a very good Super Smash Bros. player, and so my focus is I'm going to keep practicing as Ridley so that at 12:01, the morning of the 7th, I can be the very best Ridley player for a very short period of time. That's my strategy."

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
Yet nobody whined about Doctor Mario in Smash 4 because, again, he was a returning veteran from the fan favourite game.

Basically what I'm saying is that people who whine about clones/echoes are manbabies.

You caught me before the edit, I had misread your post
I've seen plenty of people complaining about Dr. Mario though. Someone even blamed him on having Wolf cut to me one time lol

Dark Pit though seems to get the most hate.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well if you look at their strengths and weaknesses Reggie's plan isn't so dumb. They both suck at recovering

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To be fair, there are other issues with clones besides "They took a slot"

• Little to no worthwhile changes from the source character - not even enough to affect tier list placement. e.g Dark Pit.
  • Character can lose individuality - e.g Richter Belmont.
  • Possible potential of the character not realised.
  • Does not bring much to the game, besides character appeal (this is subjective)
  • Inaccuracies and mis-characterisation due to reusing data from another different character - e.g Peach Blossom Final Smash.
  • Possible balancing issues.
  • Roster padding - shows up in Random etc.

As a Daisy fan, I am very mixed on Daisy's inclusion.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Early draft of one region's ruleset

They're going to test out addition tweaks as well, this is just a baseline for people who want to run tournaments ASAP. I don't really see a situation where the community doesn't allow Fountain of Dreams and Yoshi's Story

No Skyloft is a bit surprising.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
No Skyloft is a bit surprising.
Yeah looking at it again. It's weird how they let Gamer in but not Skyloft and Wuhu Island which both seems fine based on what we've seen.

Gamer and hazardless Town and City seem like the most likeliest to be cut from that list.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
Damn...just realized that Sakurai finessed the shit out of the "I know clones take 0 work, but Daisy can still be an alt costume for peach" crowd with the merge option. Same applies for the people bitching about Lucina and Dark Pit after Sakurai explained himself.

Gotta give him credit there.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
They do note that these rules are not finalized and this is just for testing purposes.
What is the hazardless default layout for skyloft anyway? There were a few different platform variations on the actual, uh, floating platform. If it sticks with one that's similar to Smashville or w/e it's probably just seen as less important. The big goal here seems to be looking at different layout configurations

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Early draft of one region's ruleset

They're going to test out addition tweaks as well, this is just a baseline for people who want to run tournaments ASAP. I don't really see a situation where the community doesn't allow Fountain of Dreams and Yoshi's Story

Hazards being off for all of them seems extreme.

It's just going to make Smashville a worse stage.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
What is the hazardless default layout for skyloft anyway? There were a few different platform variations on the actual, uh, floating platform. If it sticks with one that's similar to Smashville or w/e it's probably just seen as less important. The big goal here seems to be looking at different layout configurations
800px-SSBU-Skyloft.png

It's another three platform variant, but the bottom platform can be jumped through and the top platforms are arranged differently than BF

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
If there's one QoL change I hope is added in post-launch support, it's putting Stage Hazard to a button like Omega/BattleField. Like one of the shoulder buttons or w/e.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Of the listed stages, I feel like Gamer could be the first to go if one has to be swapped out for Skyloft.

Also, is Unova League listed similarly as Pokémon Stadium?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Hazard toggle is not a per-stage thing.
It's all or nothing and every single time you want to change it you have to dig through the rules and toggle it on/off.
I wouldn't imagine that it would take too long to turn it back on after everyone's agreed to play on Smashville, but whatever.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Story and Pokemon Stadium likely become counterpick if hazards were enabled.

Which is kind of ironic

Also hazard Smashville > no hazard Smashville

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
An idea I was just thinking that could be done to make up for the amount of Tri Plats that are "banned" maybe people could counterpick certain Tri Plats as a replacement for Battlefield. So say someone lost and they choose Battlefield they can choose to play on Fountain of Dreams instead if they felt that version of the stage would help them in the matchup.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't imagine that it would take too long to turn it back on after everyone's agreed to play on Smashville, but whatever.
It's time that adds up and would probably be get obnoxious if the players kept switching between stages that can use SH on and ones that need it off. I can see the logic behind it, especially if most of the stage list is only really usable with it off. Easier to just keep it off in that case.

Sadly that's also a reason I could see Stage Morph not being fully legalized, since it adds another stage to pick during selection. I mean does one person pick both. Does he get 2 counterpicks. IS one just always a starter pick that transitions into a counter?
but they seem open to it so we'll see how it shakes out. in the coming months

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Doubles will probably have a totally different stagelist from singles, I assume.

Gamer, Mushroom Kingdom U, Kongo Jungle and Super Mario Maker seem made specifically as comp friendly doubles stages

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Story and Pokemon Stadium likely become counterpick if hazards were enabled.

Which is kind of ironic

Also hazard Smashville > no hazard Smashville
if no hazard rule lists kill smashville then it is an acceptable compromise.

Doubles will probably have a totally different stagelist from singles, I assume.

Gamer, Mushroom Kingdom U, Kongo Jungle and Super Mario Maker seem made specifically as comp friendly doubles stages
I've been hearing a lot about doubles but I feel I almost never see any doubles tournaments get shown off

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If there's one QoL change I hope is added in post-launch support, it's putting Stage Hazard to a button like Omega/BattleField. Like one of the shoulder buttons or w/e.
the stage select screen is really weird to me

kw0jmogqqve11.png

since there's a tab at the top for "Normal," why don't they just have the two standardized layout options as separate select screens on tabs next to that, and then have X set to hazard toggle

also, why aren't Battlefield stages called "Alpha" or "Delta" or "Epsilon" or whatever

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
the stage select screen is really weird to me

kw0jmogqqve11.png

since there's a tab at the top for "Normal," why don't they just have the two standardized layout options as separate select screens on tabs next to that, and then have X set to hazard toggle

also, why aren't Battlefield stages called "Alpha" or "Delta" or "Epsilon" or whatever
Yeah, the tab at the top is confusing me. Unless they plan on adding more than 6 DLC stages (or a Stage Builder) post-launch then I don't really see the point.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
The Tab's name switches between "[Omega Symbol]" and "Battlefield". I assume they wanted to make it really obvious that you're selecting which of the three types of stages?
I think giving those 2 instances their own distinct "pages" would be more awkward than just having a toggle so I can see why they wouldn't do that

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
The Tab's name switches between "[Omega Symbol]" and "Battlefield". I assume they wanted to make it really obvious that you're selecting which of the three types of stages?
I think giving those 2 instances their own distinct "pages" would be more awkward than just having a toggle so I can see why they wouldn't do that
I was just about to check if that was the case. Huh. Again, I don't really see the point of the tab, considering the stage preview image also features an icon showing which mode it's on (and the image itself changes as well, unlike Smash 4).

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
just use L/R to flip through them

they already have separate images of each stage in their alternate configurations, so they may as well have the stage page display those in the standard grid

LoboRundas

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, there are other issues with clones besides "They took a slot"

• Little to no worthwhile changes from the source character - not even enough to affect tier list placement. e.g Dark Pit.
  • Character can lose individuality - e.g Richter Belmont.
  • Possible potential of the character not realised.
  • Does not bring much to the game, besides character appeal (this is subjective)
  • Inaccuracies and mis-characterisation due to reusing data from another different character - e.g Peach Blossom Final Smash.
  • Possible balancing issues.
  • Roster padding - shows up in Random etc.

As a Daisy fan, I am very mixed on Daisy's inclusion.
We still don't know the full extent of differences between Simon and Richter, but either way the latter doesn't lose individuality because half the moves of Simon come from Richter's games, so they're both a mish mash of moves from both characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.