• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you for Smash?

• Hyped

Votes: 220 23.0%
  • Super Hyped

Votes: 574 60.0%
  • I don’t know what a smash is

Votes: 162 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even take a close look at Ice Climbers Amiibo until now. It's freaking awesome that it's getting some ice in background as a support for Ice Climbers.

Oh that is nice. Might even contemplate getting it now. I like it when they are creative with the supports, like the ink for the Splatoon line.

Oct 25, 2017
Not just that, he's also extremely anal about his music, forcing Square to use poor quality midi music in Dragon Quest games because he wants people to only experience orchestral versions at his concerts. And apparently also getting ISPs to send letters threatening legal actions for their customers who downloaded the orchestral music mod for DQ11.

I wouldn't have expected you of all people to phrase it like his music licensing bullshit is the real lede getting buried

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Pour one out for the piss-yellow amiibo stands of yesteryear.
71Ml9JXMk6L._SL1500_.jpg

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
They haven't shown any of the Konami character amiibo yet. Maybe that's the one area Konami didn't co-operate with.
RIP dreams of 200 richter amiibos in bed with me

(kind of funny if this is the one area that FF edges them out on)

Have we gotten confirmation that amiibos unlock the characters automatically?
At this moment in time we have no confirmation about how to unlock any characters.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Silly question, but all the available information makes it seem like you can only do 2 v 2 matches with a friend against online players, if you and your teammate are playing on the same console. Is there a way to play in 2 v 2 matches against randoms with an online buddy?

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Silly question, but all the available information makes it seem like you can only do 2 v 2 matches with a friend against online players, if you and your teammate are playing on the same console. Is there a way to play in 2 v 2 matches against randoms with an online buddy?
No one knows, presumably the only way is through Battle Arena.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it was a whiff. A lot of these matches just have the players use their Final Smashes in the opposite direction of their opponent just to burn it, Mario did in that match too
mario was on the other side of the stage by the time wolf got his final smash and he popped it immediately
Mario was at least close and would have done decently but he got his directions mixed up

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
They haven't shown any of the Konami character amiibo yet. Maybe that's the one area Konami didn't co-operate with.
More seriously they confirmed everyone would get amiibo a while back, they're just spreading them out.

I mean, if nothing else, let us not forget Cloud has 2 amiibo.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy for you. For me it still seems to be going by so... slowly...
It helped for me to stay away from Smash news for a while, finding stuff to do.

I've been playing every single Smash (with the exception of 3DS) in preparation for the Ultimate release.

Last week I played 64, this week is Melee, next is Brawl, then 4, then it will already be the week for the launch where I will give a break so I don't get burnout in preparation.

I've also been trying to 100% Breath of the Wild and it's a good timewaster, if you have anything in your backlog that you need to clear, I recommend you do now because it's the perfect time to do so.

Also talking about 64, holy shit this game feels like a prototype going to Melee. Really barebones but still was immensely succesful to the point of kickstarting the Smash Bros franchise. Makes you wonder how a well executed idea will take you to.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

I've been playing every single Smash (with the exception of 3DS) in preparation for the Ultimate release.

Last week I played 64, this week is Melee, next is Brawl, then 4, then it will already be the week for the launch where I will give a break so I don't get burnout in preparation.

I've also been trying to 100% Breath of the Wild and it's a good timewaster, if you have anything in your backlog that you need to clear, I recommend you do now because it's the perfect time to do so.

Also talking about 64, holy shit this game feels like a prototype going to Melee. Really barebones but still was immensely succesful to the point of kickstarting the Smash Bros franchise. Makes you wonder how a well executed idea will take you to.
Smash 64 is another in a line of games that feels great to play at the time but the moment I go back to it, I don't know how I dealt with it

Apparently Japan loves 64 and has a huge competitive scene for it? Crazy.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
mario was on the other side of the stage by the time wolf got his final smash and he popped it immediately
Mario was at least close and would have done decently but he got his directions mixed up

Hmm, I guess we're just seeing different things then. To me, it looks like both players are purposefully missing with their final smashes, the same way they are throwing items off the stage.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smash 64 is another in a line of games that feels great to play at the time but the moment I go back to it, I don't know how I dealt with it

Apparently Japan loves 64 and has a huge competitive scene for it? Crazy.
The gameplay is still fantastic, but the content was pretty poor. This game should be a lesson to all aspiring game devs that your game loop is everything, obviously content matters, but if you have perfected the game loop, your game will probably be a sucess.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I watched Zero do a full playthrough of 64 last week.

He thought it would take a couple days. He finished it in like 3 hours.

People forget how little content that game actually has.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched Zero do a full playthrough of 64 last week.

He thought it would take a couple days. He finished it in like 3 hours.

People forget how little content that game actually has.
Yeah, comparing to Melee is such a grotesque difference.

When I started this "challenge" of going through all Super Smash Bros games, I was with the mindset of getting everything the game has to offer (Stages, Characters, Trophies, etc). For Smash 64 it was "okay fine I can do this in 3 days probably", then I got to Melee and I remembered the Mewtwo condition and I was immediately "NOPE" since I want to be done with the game in a week so I can play the next one. So now I'm just playing with everything unlocked from the start and having fun, seeing and appreciating the differences in each entry of the franchise and how the series evolved.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

In fairness, it probably doesn't help that I'm in the middle of rewatching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya for the first time in years, and I happen to have just started the Endless Eight.

If you ever wanted to make time feeling like it's passing as slowly as possible...

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, comparing to Melee is such a grotesque difference.

When I started this "challenge" of going through all Super Smash Bros games, I was with the mindset of getting everything the game has to offer (Stages, Characters, Trophies, etc). For Smash 64 it was "okay fine I can do this in 3 days probably", then I got to Melee and I remembered the Mewtwo condition and I was immediately "NOPE" since I want to be done with the game in a week so I can play the next one. So now I'm just playing with everything unlocked from the start and having fun, seeing and appreciating the differences in each entry of the franchise and how the series evolved.
Mewtwo's condition is so incredibly bad I do not understand how anyone thought it was a good idea.

Good thing that stopped you from going 100% though because Brawl's stickers & trophies would have been a small nightmare.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Mewtwo's condition is so incredibly bad I do not understand how anyone thought it was a good idea.

Good thing that stopped you from going 100% though because Brawl's stickers & trophies would have been a small nightmare.
Smash 4 had some junk challenges too

Smash 3DS had all the garbage Street Smash stuff that it's impossible to do unless you live in a city with thousands of Smash players walking around with 3DSs. So basically, Tokyo and nowhere else.

Both had multiple "beat this mode with every fighter" challenges which got obnoxious

And of course, collecting all custom moves

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Smash 4 had some junk challenges too

Smash 3DS had all the garbage Street Smash stuff that it's impossible to do unless you live in a city with thousands of Smash players walking around with 3DSs. So basically, Tokyo and nowhere else.

Both had multiple "beat this mode with every fighter" challenges which got obnoxious

And of course, collecting all custom moves
Street Smash stuff can actually be done on your own, though. You can use CPU players. It's what I did

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
Is Ken more like a Semi-Clone or something? Not too familiar with him and Ryu's movesets. Because I feel like Ken is only considered an echo due to his legacy as THE original clone lol

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Is Ken more like a Semi-Clone or something? Not too familiar with him and Ryu's movesets. Because I feel like Ken is only considered an echo due to his legacy as THE original clone lol
He's a clone in all respects, so the echo term makes sense. It just makes less sense when Dr. Mario and Pichu aren't.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Early draft of one region's ruleset

8 Minutes/3 Stock
Mii are free

13 Stages (7 Starter/6 CP) - Hazards Off

Starter
Pokemon Stadium 2
Smashville
Battlefield
Final Destination
Kalos Pokemon League
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Lylat Cruise

Counterpick
Gamer
Castle Siege
Town & City
Warioware
Frigate Orpheon
Arena Ferox

Additional stages, stage morph, hazard toggle, stage striking, bans, and many more rule set possibilities will be tested at various event throughout SoCal.

This rule set is for anyone who wants to have one ready to go once the game releases.

They're going to test out addition tweaks as well, this is just a baseline for people who want to run tournaments ASAP. I don't really see a situation where the community doesn't allow Fountain of Dreams and Yoshi's Story

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well to be FAIR, Ken does (barely) fall under the echo fighter definition. In a way Dr Mario does not.

攻撃力やふっとばし力、歩行、走行速度、ジャンプ力、重さなどの基礎パラメーターが、オリジナルファイターに対してほぼ同じのファイターのこと

The main attributes such as attack power and knockback power, walking/running speed (or speed in general), jumping power, weight, etc. are about the same as original fighter

Ken's only slightly faster than Ryu and has a few different moves and changes, but not as drastic as say....Dr Mario's physics or Pichu's weight. Dr Mario is a lot more different than people give him credit for.

Anyways, I just want to find out the other echo fighters' differences. I know Richter's 1:1 but what about the others?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
You can? Guess I wasted all my golden hammers
yeah i pulled the game out again to double check and cross referenced the wiki. I even did the Get 20 KOs by knocking foes into other foes challenge.
I did use the hammer just because I had the hammers to burn, though.

Page 1: no hammers used
Page 2: 10 KOs by knocking players into other players, 20 KOs by countering, 10 collective hours because I really wanted to get to the next page
Page 3: Obtain all outfits, headgears & special moves because lmao special moves, 50+ KOs in rival smash because I wanted to break my 3DS and 50 hours collective play beause I knew that was never going to happen.

The comics were the entire Smash cast is supposed to live together are the best.
I like how universal a concept it is. "yes these 24-79 charactesr would of course live together in this scenario." - literally everyone

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Early draft of one region's ruleset

They're going to test out addition tweaks as well, this is just a baseline for people who want to run tournaments ASAP. I don't really see a situation where the community doesn't allow Fountain of Dreams and Yoshi's Story

I'm guessing venues won't outright disallow the battlefield-alike stages like FoD anyway. It'd be no different than just picking a battlefield variant beyond a curved bottom.

I'm interested to see if Stage Morph gets allowed, though. I feel that might make the stage selection too complicated. But it'd be pretty interesting to see it adopted.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
He's a clone in all respects, so the echo term makes sense. It just makes less sense when Dr. Mario and Pichu aren't.
Sakurai was never gonna brand characters from the fan favourite game in the series as second class. Echoes only came out as a way to delude the people who whined that Dark Pit and Lucina "took" a spot in Smash 4, since they use different nomenclature. Nothing has changed about the ways clones are implemented, in reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.