• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you for Smash?

• Hyped

Votes: 220 23.0%
  • Super Hyped

Votes: 574 60.0%
  • I don’t know what a smash is

Votes: 162 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
while it wasn't mentioned in the Direct, I kinda expect Spirits to be included with at least some of the DLC Fighter Packs, like how the Smash 4 DLC included bonus Trophies

I'm in the camp that if Rex was going to be a newcomer, we wouldn't have had the Spirits and the music and the Nia costume in the base game as well as the Rex DLC costume
It's not like Xenoblade 2 has any shortage of music.

It's a bizarre way to word it if you're putting him in to the very same DLC pack his costume is a preorder for. Also the DLC roster was finalized before the day Sakurai tweeted about it. No way was that week between the direct and the tweet filled with uncertainty on Sakurai's part.
He said that DLC selection was "now complete" (at the time), not "already complete", implying that the selection process was only recently finished.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
Does Best Buy have demos for this game yet? I remember reading that the in-store stations hinted at this with its UI.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
that the Rex costume is DLC while the Nia costume is in the base game makes me think Rex and/or other XC2 content may have been shortlisted for the DLC, but was passed over in favor of something else for whatever reason
Or rather they included the content to have something for it in the Base game while they were developing it. I don't think they were taking out content for the sake of DLC they were already finished with it

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
The DLC could still take months to come out though, so it fits well enough. We also oddly haven't seen a Rex spirit yet in spite of all other Xenoblade 2 content.

I'd say it's more telling that we've seen very little content from XBX. No music, no assists, no Elma spirit. All we've seen is a skell spirit.

On the other side. We've seen a Pyra Spirit, loads of XB2 music, a Rex Costume, and nearly definitive verbal deconfirmation.

Either Sakurai stopped caring about the reveals or they literally finalized the DLC in the week or so between the direct and the tweet.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
While I don't think the Rex costume is a deconfirmation in any way, I do think that Sakurai is the kind of person who would consider a Mii costume "Good enough" and move on from that character.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I also find it curious that all the XC2 Spirits shown off appear to be of the main playable cast

definitely feels like a last-minute addition, imo

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'd say it's more telling that we've seen very little content from XBX. No music, no assists, no Elma spirit. All we've seen is a skell spirit.

On the other side. We've seen a Pyra Spirit, loads of XB2 music, a Rex Costume, and nearly definitive verbal deconfirmation.

Either Sakurai stopped caring about the reveals or they literally finalized the DLC in the week or so between the direct and the tweet.
None of that means anything. He was showing Xenoblade 2 stuff because it was the more popular, successful, and recent game that they could show off for the series.

Loads of music and a "verbal deconfirmation" my ass. There are only 3 tracks from Xenoblade 2 and he didn't say that Rex wasn't coming as DLC he was just explaining why the character didn't make the base roster. Even then the Skell spirit shows there is existing X content in the game and probably just as much as the Xenoblade 2 content. Xenoblade 2's was spotlighted because quite frankly it's the game more people actually care about.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
While I don't think the Rex costume is a deconfirmation in any way, I do think that Sakurai is the kind of person who would consider a Mii costume "Good enough" and move on from that character.
But the DLC characters were Nintendo's call, unless Sakurai shot down their request for Rex because of the Mii Costume being a thing.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Haha, I was just talking about Metroid Music not being confirmed and we got ourselves a boss from from Samus Returns. No, not Diggernaut. Or Proteus Ridley

This one ("Boss Battle 4")

Confirmed here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RauLOoVq7vE

Interesting choice. Reminds me a little too much of Burning Lava Fish (which I admittedly enjoy), but I may put it on Brinstar or something.

Oh yea, and Magnus' theme is back if anyone cares
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cfLrJrqEUQ

It's my favorite Uprising track, so I certainly care! Not that I doubted it would return.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But the DLC characters were Nintendo's call, unless Sakurai shot down their request for Rex because of the Mii Costume being a thing.
I don't really think he cares if there are Mii costumes for existing characters. Not only were there multiple costumes for characters in Smash 4 but alot of the Mii costumes that were added in Smash 4 via DLC ended up being characters for Ultimate. Mii Costumes aren't meant to be something that's "good enough" it's them offering a way to allow these characters to be playable or be role played while they couldn't be a priority during development

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at history that's clearly not the case

z2mmg6dsowe11.png

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
None of those characters were actually made DLC for Smash 4 though
Yeah they were a part of Smash 4's DLC but in the next available opportunity he made them playable. In Ultimate he made Mii costumes for characters people would like to see playable because that was the best he can do in that situation. Now we have DLC that's essentially a new project and allows Sakurai to consider characters he wasn't able to make playable before.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's pretty obvious that Sakurai thinks that as long as a character or series is represented in Smash Bros. in some form, even if they're not playable, then their fans will be happy. That's what he said in regards to assist trophies back in Brawl:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/ssbb/4/1

The most important thing was simply whether or not it would make players happy. I mean, there are lots of popular games with characters that just aren't meant for fighting and were too hard to incorporate into the Smash Bros. title. Heading the list of these characters are the ones from the games we just mentioned, Nintendogs and Animal Crossing. Because these are games played by lots of people, I knew players would be happy to see them make an appearance. This is why I wanted to find a way to put them in the game and why they became Assist Trophies.

Same thing applies to Mii costumes and trophies/spirits, basically.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Yeah they were a part of Smash 4's DLC but in the next available opportunity he made them playable. In Ultimate he made Mii costumes for characters people would like to see playable because that was the best he can do in that situation. Now we have DLC that's essentially a new project and allows Sakurai to consider characters he wasn't able to make playable before.

Nah he put those characters in the next game

That doesn't help Rex's case. It makes it worse.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

It really doesn't. Ultimate was literally the next time he was able to consider characters to be made playable and introduce them to Smash. If there was another season of DLC for Smash 4 and they didn't drop that game like a hot potato he most likely would've made Inkling and maybe even K Rool playable.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it's pretty obvious that Sakurai thinks that as long as a character or series is represented in Smash Bros. in some form, even if they're not playable, then their fans will be happy. That's what he said in regards to assist trophies back in Brawl:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/ssbb/4/1

Same thing applies to Mii costumes and trophies/spirits, basically.
He was very clearly talking about Nintendogs and Animal Crossing. It has nothing to do what he considers Assist Trophies to be for everyone. He was saying he wasn't sure if he felt like those franchises would fit in an action series like Smash so he decided to put in other ways to give these series recognition.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It would be super super weird to announce the rex costume with the dlc if they were already planning to have rex be one of the characters. That's just too silly. To me it's as close as you're gonna get to sakurai outright saying "yeah he's out"

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Mii costume DLC also included Link, Samus, C.Falcon and Fox though.

It would be super super weird to announce the rex costume with the dlc if they were already planning to have rex be one of the characters. That's just too silly. To me it's as close as you're gonna get to sakurai outright saying "yeah he's out"

The Rex costume will be available right alongside the game's launch though. It'll be months from any DLC, and at least half a year if Rex isn't the very first DLC character.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Those are some nice rules you're all posting there.

Shame if someone were to come along and break 'em.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not really. The costume was made long before they were considering DLC. They just offered it as a way to give players something to have while the real meat of the DLC is here.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Characters who were already in the game

Not really. The costume was made long before they were considering DLC. They just offered it as a way to give players something to have while the real meat of the DLC is here.
Rex is not going to be in Smash, and I'm not sure how much clearer Sakurai could have made it. Rex will not be in Smash Bros as a fighter. The costume is how you get to play as Rex.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
He was very clearly talking about Nintendogs and Animal Crossing. It has nothing to do what he considers Assist Trophies to be for everyone. He was saying he wasn't sure if he felt like those franchises would fit in an action series like Smash so he decided to put in other ways to give these series recognition.
He put in Saki as an assist trophy because he was highly requested

He rivals just about any main character. There were many requests from users for his inclusion, and he IS pretty cool, so I did what I could to include him. After all, this game does let you enjoy a dream cast of supporting characters!

You wouldn't mention that if you didn't think it would make his fans happy that he got in at all.

Linkhero1

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
My opinion is that Sakurai sees Rex Mii Costume as good enough similar to Geno.

What led you to decide to make a Geno costume after all this time?

Sakurai: To tell the truth, it's because I wanted Geno to be a playable character. He has a gun for a hand, and I think he fits in really well with Smash. During Brawl, I thought it would be great if I could add him, but in the end it didn't become a reality.

Because of that, you added him as a Mii Costume this time?

Sakurai: That's right. He's very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests. He didn't appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve something kind of close to that as a Mii Costume.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/21/nintendodream3/

I hope he still makes it in as DLC considering his game sold considerabley well.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg

The Rex costume will be available right alongside the game's launch though. It'll be months from any DLC, and at least half a year if Rex isn't the very first DLC character.

And they had already been shown in Sm4sh. This doesn't really mean anything at all.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Rex is not going to be in Smash, and I'm not sure how much clearer Sakurai could have made it. Rex will not be in Smash Bros as a fighter. The costume is how you get to play as Rex.
He didn't make shit any clear about Rex being a part of DLC. He just offered the costume. Said he wasn't able to put the character in because his game announced after planning and they couldn't make him a fighter in time. That's it that's all he said revolving around the character and their current "role" in the game.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Geno was a character he wanted to add because he always wanted to have a fighter with a gun for an arm. Mii Gunner ended up being that fighter, which is why the costume works for Geno.

On the other hand we know Rex would have some mechanic based around the driver/blade system so the Mii Sword Fighter base doesn't really do that justice.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Yep, so there's nothing odd about a Mii costume for a character that might be added to the game.

He could just have said that he won't be in the additional content either than than only talking about the already finished main game. He also said that the only reason Rex wasn't in the main game was because he was too new. It'd be bizarre if he said that and then proceeded to ignore him afterwards. That's the actual point that makes what he said odd to me. He had no obligation to acknowledge Rex as a shoe in. He didn't even do it to the ARMS crew.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
He didn't make shit any clear about Rex being a part of DLC. He just offered the costume. Said he wasn't able to put the character in because his game announced after planning and they couldn't make him a fighter in time. That's it that's all he said revolving around the character and their current "role" in the game.
After announcing the fighter pass, he decided to go on a small segment reassuring people XB2 is not going to be forgotten.

He was tempering expectations so people don't get excited for Rex. There was no reason to do what he did in the direct if Rex was coming as DLC. There is no reason for Rex to be a costume if he will be playable. "Giving players Rex before he comes out" is nonsense and just people trying to hand wave away something they know is probably true but don't want to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.