• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you for Smash?

• Hyped

Votes: 220 23.0%
  • Super Hyped

Votes: 574 60.0%
  • I don’t know what a smash is

Votes: 162 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine how many people would complain that Mario got two unique newcomers and an echo fighter, lol.

The best thing about Geno is that he's so nebulous I can make any argument to support his inclusion.

"He's third party!" "He can have a unique icon!" The mind reels with possibilities.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
They'll announce Rex and Pyra as the first DLC characters and then say they're exclusive to Europe and Japan only cos America's game awards snubbed Xenoblade 2.

And I wouldn't blame them.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Smash facebook page uploaded more spirits info, with Akira that's 2 updates.
Primary Spirits in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate have 3 different types: Attack, Grab, and Shield. Attack has an advantage over Grab, Grab has an advantage over Shield, and Shield has an advantage over Attack. Try to equip spirits that are strong against your opponent's spirit team!
46055916_1967328843353668_8657702879508824064_n.jpg

46067684_1967328903353662_8294003768983289856_n.jpg

I don't think we've seen Floor is Poison hazard yet so that's neat.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I just wish we knew the DLC strategy. With Nintendo at the helm, is it going to focus on their IP or is third party the priority.

If we had some idea of that, we could start formulating some kind of list of candidates.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish we knew the DLC strategy. With Nintendo at the helm, is it going to focus on their IP or is third party the priority.

If we had some idea of that, we could start formulating some kind of list of candidates.
"we want to revive these 3 franchises and also have a pokemon and fire emblem"
"their sales will determine their worth"
"dont fail us, sakurai"

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
My problem with the Granblue rumors is we know Sakurai's against adding Japanese only characters - Marth and Roy were planned to be taken out of the Western versions of Melee, Lucas was added only because Sakurai thought Mother 3 was going to get localized, and Takamaru was specifically ruled out from being a fighter because he was an unknown in the West - so why on earth would anybody from Granblue be added? There's no reason for Nintendo to push the series and there's no reason for Sakurai to pick a character from it.

The Dante rumors made more sense then this Granblue stuff, and Dante's at the near bottom of "List of characters that make sense in Smash Bros"!
Nah, this is different because the console Granblue game is planned to be localized. Granted, we don't know when, and it's not on a Nintendo console, but it's better than going off an assumption like with Lucas.

And for anyone curious and willing to do a bit of reading, this might be interesting:
https://www.destructoid.com/cygames-has-conquered-mobile-now-it-s-coming-for-consoles-511778.phtml
Since Nintendo has a hand in now, a place in Smash could be part of that western push.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
They'll announce Rex and Pyra as the first DLC characters and then say they're exclusive to Europe and Japan only cos America's game awards snubbed Xenoblade 2.

And I wouldn't blame them.
I can't wait for them being replaced in America with Mike Jones, and for Mike Jones inexplicably having the exact same abilities as Rex and Pyra for online compatibility, and for all of my friends begging me to buy that version instead, and for Switch not supporting two versions of Smash installed at once.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
cynicism and how the only nintendo newcomer in the last DLC was done because well, we're doing DLC, we should probably have a tie in character

Even before knowing the base roster, the discussion was primarily getting the seeming-obligations out of the way (Rex, Springman, now Three Houses, Pokemon) so we can get to the third party characters. Even if the ballot isn't being used for it I bet it gave a lot of marketing data that, combined with presumably other outlets to see fan demand, probably also had a lot of third party picks up in the higher echelons .

Rex and springman were too early to be DLC. Pokémon already got a rep. The only glaring omission is the FE rep, and that's only one slot. We have no reason to think some dope Nintendo chars won't get in.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Rex and springman were too early to be DLC. Pokémon already got a rep. The only glaring omission is the FE rep, and that's only one slot. We have no reason to think some dope Nintendo chars won't get in.
Pokemon already getting a rep doesn't mean much when we got Robin and Corrin last game

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Rex and springman were too early to be DLC.

I disagree with that. I don't expect Rex and Spring Man to make the DLC roster, but they didn't even finalise the list of characters until last week.

The reason they won't make it in is because Nintendo doesn't want them.

If you can't get Rex into the game two years after his game came out (if he was to be the final character), despite him being one of the most popular picks, it's because you don't want him in there.

However, I do say all of this not knowing when DLC talks began.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Proof? Because the impression I got from the direct was he to late for the base roster. If they only recently got done with the DLC decisions there's no reason to exclude Rex.
Calm down, the poster I was referring to said that. So I was going off their wording.

But no, I don't think Rex is getting in. I don't think Sakurai put out a direct where he says he hopes a costume "makes you feel like playing as Rex" and then shows off a bunch of music from XB2, and then goes on to announce a week and a half later that the DLC chars have been decided. Nah

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe the problem wasn't poor voice direction, it's that Sakamoto wanted that direction for Samus.

I suspect, considering Samus' portrayal in Samus Returns, that he would probably emphasize a different direction a second go around, however.

It was both, and it affects more than just Samus

The direction on someone like say, Mario's voice lines post Brawl, are weak imo

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Hope it makes you feel like your playing as Rex."

Part of my disbelief that this was a deconfirmation is that I refuse anyone could say this with a straight face.

Mii costumes have never been a satisfying substitution and they never will be.

Their a cute little reference but any attempt to try and pass them off as anything more irritates me.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
1) I really wanna play Shake It now

2) The lack of Wario Land 4 music fills me with a profound melancholy
the lack of wario music in general is a bummer. The lack of WL tracks in Brawl sucked but at least we got all kinds of WW songs to make up for it!
And then Smash 4 just kind of shrugged, removed the Mona & Mike tracks, put in a (japanese only) Ashely remix, a Shake It rip, and some Gamer ambiance

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
"Hope it makes you feel like your playing as Rex."

Part of my disbelief that this was a deconfirmation is that I refuse anyone could say this with a straight face.

Mii costumes have never been a satisfying substitution and they never will be.

Their a cute little reference but any attempt to try and pass them off as anything more irritates me.
It's a bizarre way to word it if you're putting him in to the very same DLC pack his costume is a preorder for. Also the DLC roster was finalized before the day Sakurai tweeted about it. No way was that week between the direct and the tweet filled with uncertainty on Sakurai's part.

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question about spirits/stickers since I'm not on top of things: do they all have "lore" descriptions, i.e. not just what they functionally do, but also who the character is, where it comes from... A nice little text blurb, you know? Kinda like how it was with trophies in prior games IIRC (I'm not a Smash connoisseur, never owned any).

I guess I'm just asking if the games act like a video game museum with lots of interesting to read, beyond the simple fact that it's got tons of content from many series. I wanna play the game in Japanese for reading practice, so the game could potentially help me with that if there's tons of text to read.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
while it wasn't mentioned in the Direct, I kinda expect Spirits to be included with at least some of the DLC Fighter Packs, like how the Smash 4 DLC included bonus Trophies

I'm in the camp that if Rex was going to be a newcomer, we wouldn't have had the Spirits and the music and the Nia costume in the base game as well as the Rex DLC costume

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It's a bizarre way to word it if you're putting him in to the very same DLC pack his costume is a preorder for. Also the DLC roster was finalized before the day Sakurai tweeted about it. No way was that week between the direct and the tweet filled with uncertainty on Sakurai's part.

The DLC could still take months to come out though, so it fits well enough. We also oddly haven't seen a Rex spirit yet in spite of all other Xenoblade 2 content.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the lack of wario music in general is a bummer. The lack of WL tracks in Brawl sucked but at least we got all kinds of WW songs to make up for it!
And then Smash 4 just kind of shrugged, removed the Mona & Mike tracks, put in a (japanese only) Ashely remix, a Shake It rip, and some Gamer ambiance

I've been playing through some WL games on 3DS VC recently, particularly 4, and I've also been watching Vinny Vinesauce play Wario World for the first time. So I'm in a Wario state of mind at the moment (a terrifying prospect). So much wacky stuff in that series I'd love to see brought to Smash. Golden Diva boss battle when?

That said, I suppose I'm happy he got his shoulder bash for his dash attack. And I choose to believe that his neutral B is a reference to the coin-collecting mechanic in Wario World, as well as his back throw being the Wild Swing Ding (let me have these). Still a lot of WL love I wanna see baked in there. Playing these games again, it also just occurred to me that his really high air speed is also kinda directly from WL. That gamefeel is kinda what directly contributed to Wario's platforming outings feeling so unique to me, and it has definitely been translated into Smash.

Anywho, I'll take a Sakurai-directed approach to 3D Wario beat 'em up when he's finished with Ultimate and rested up, please and thank you.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The DLC could still take months to come out though, so it fits well enough. We also oddly haven't seen a Rex spirit yet in spite of all other Xenoblade 2 content.
No there is a Spirit for him. However though I don't really think it matters the costume wasn't a deconfirmation and they most likely already had the costume lying around.

The bonuses they typically do for DLC are low effort and are done to give more immediate tangibility for the pass so it doesn't feel like you spent money on a promise of content. That's why I don't really think it's a deconfirmation because if it was Sakurai would've been clear about it and they most likely had the costume ready and made it a bonus for the pass.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Quick question about spirits/stickers since I'm not on top of things: do they all have "lore" descriptions, i.e. not just what they functionally do, but also who the character is, where it comes from... A nice little text blurb, you know? Kinda like how it was with trophies in prior games IIRC (I'm not a Smash connoisseur, never owned any).

I guess I'm just asking if the games act like a video game museum with lots of interesting to read, beyond the simple fact that it's got tons of content from many series. I wanna play the game in Japanese for reading practice, so the game could potentially help me with that if there's tons of text to read.
There's a special type of Spirit for the Fighters that have descriptions, but whether the other non-Fighter Spirits have descriptions is unknown at the moment.

We've seen a Rex Spirit. He's in a screenshot of the Training Dojo on the Spirits page of the official site.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
there are hundreds of spirits in this game already
what if you're a spirit and you just don't know it yet

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
that the Rex costume is DLC while the Nia costume is in the base game makes me think Rex and/or other XC2 content may have been shortlisted for the DLC, but was passed over in favor of something else for whatever reason

Status
Not open for further replies.