• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How hyped are you for Smash?

• Hyped

Votes: 220 23.0%
  • Super Hyped

Votes: 574 60.0%
  • I don’t know what a smash is

Votes: 162 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
It feels like the hype is dead or something, after the August direct there was a post every minute for weeks.
These days, there's a new Smash thread being created on a particular topic separate from the DT on practically a daily basis. All of the conversation is dispersing.

G.O.O.

Oct 26, 2017
Guys I managed to get over the fact that Travis Touchdown won't be a smash character, you're not exactly helping.

And yes, given how he's played in NMH it's absolutely possible to make him more interesting than just another sword character.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, we know everyone who is in the game at launch, we know all the game modes and other features. All that's left is smaller details, and for that, we're almost entirely dependent on the demo until someone gets their hands on a copy of the final game.

That, and the DLC, but there's little to go on for that, and we won't be hearing anything more about that until launch at the very earliest.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
they're not doing a demo because sakurai doesn't want dataminers to find out about the other six newcomers secretly hidden in the game

I would be surprised. Sakurai really seems to miss the days of being able to surprise people, a straight lie and unlocking a character not announced would confuse the hell out of people.

I think my brain would break and question reality.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Golden Sun music plays on "Other" stages, not Metroid stages

So it actually really does seem like My Music is not hard locked to whatever category a song is in Sound Test and not where the song had previously lived in past games.

Which is going to make for some awkward placements, like the "spooky" Tetris Type A being forced to play on something that isn't Luigi's Mansion

It also leaves Mario Bros with like 1 song, since it had previously been home to several NES song rips and remixes.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Since Melee, I'm always disappointed that Slippy hasn't made the playable roster as a Fox clone (but with a gimmick moveset, like Pichu).

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
K. Rool's armor mechanic is really interesting. I'm glad they added that in there to add some strategic depth and keep him from being a totally vanilla character.
I'm just a little afraid that K Rool's armor will force him into a playstyle where you just play keep away until your armor heals, go in for attacks, back off and keep away, go in for attacks, etc. Would make K Rool kind of boring to watch.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017

So it actually really does seem like My Music is not hard locked to whatever category a song is in Sound Test and not where the song had previously lived in past games.

Which is going to make for some awkward placements, like the "spooky" Tetris Type A being forced to play on something that isn't Luigi's Mansion

It also leaves Mario Bros with like 1 song, since it had previously been home to several NES song rips and remixes.

Wouldn't it be possible for 'other' songs to not play on other series' stages by default, but need to be manually set and therefore wouldn't play in demos using the default settings?

Still, I'm expecting them to only be available on 'other' stages, it makes sense for 'other' to essentially be treated as one 'series' as far as music settings are concerned.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

Not having Tetris Type A play on Luigi's Mansion would be a crime. I said this before, but I'm certain they'll have these tracks play on their original stages, too.

That said, that Golden Sun arrangement on Nintendogs is an otherworldly fusion.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
It feels like the hype is dead or something, after the August direct there was a post every minute for weeks.
Just the calm before the storm but damn do you have a short memory

The whole Grinch leak stuff and the Direct that followed had this board on fire. That was only a few weeks ago

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
K Rool straddles an interesting line between being an intimidating boss character and a really goofy 90s relic.

For every intimidating huge punch or slam attack, he's got a planking attack or a belly slap or something.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Holy crap I JUST realized that Roy is also now voiced in English! Wow! How the heck did I miss that til today?!

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, there are like two-three new threads being made everyday so that's fine with me. I actually prefers slow pace with more discussions but some threads that were made wasn't even necessary but whatever.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Thankfully releases have picked up, perfectly in time with the come-down from my Smash hype. Still excited, but now Hitman, Spyro, and Tetris can keep me occupied in lieu of Smash news. Still incredibly excited, but not much left to speculate on.

Jorgie

Mar 28, 2018
Philadelphia
Game doesn't have to be #1 most discussed every day all day till launch to be hype. It's less than a month till release everyone is just ready to sink their teeth into finally.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
R.I.P the stage-builder. Little angel gone too soon.

It was bizarre how they swept it under the rug without saying anything about it. It sucks that we might not have Stage Builder for this game since I always enjoy to make some stages, like Tetris stage. At least, look at bright side, we have 103 stages (plus upcoming stages) so it's going to keep us really busy.

I can't speak for everyone, but I know it's just close enough to release that I'm done discussing and just want to play the damn game.

I really want this game in my hand but I'm okay with discussing about certain things that aren't founded by fanbase yet or so. Like we just discovered Simon's amazing victory pose.

This is me too.

Damn I hope World of Light doesn't leak. I won't be able to resist if it does

I'm definitely going to bail out pretty hard if there is any WoL leaks. (or suggesting people to make spoiler thread for that)

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
So guys

I still have 3 wii u pro controllers and i dont have switch controllers except for my 2 joycons.

The cheapest way to play this with friends (4 players) would be to use my wii u pros with usb dongles right? Can i have 3 dongles simultaneously? Like is it physically possible or does one dongle block the other usb port.

What are the best/cheapest dongles?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

That is an interesting stage to play Golden Sun music, lol.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bumping my question to the next page

Is global smash power ranking effected differently between 1v1 and 4 player?

Like if lose a match in 1v1 will my smash power go down? but if I get 2nd or 3rd place in a 4 person match will my smash power still go up a little just not as much as 1st place?

Edit: there has to be someone here that played smash on Wii U that has to know this

Last edited:

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I can't speak for everyone, but I know it's just close enough to release that I'm done discussing and just want to play the damn game.
Same. It always happens with games I am really hyped for. I will have hundreds of posts in the speculation and then never visit the OT even once haha. For Smash, we pretty much know what we are getting at this point, so everyone has shifted from speculation mode into anticipation mode.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just waiting for the game now. We know what we're getting in terms of characters and stages. Things like music and Mii costumes can be left as surprises. I feel like speculation can be put on the back burner so we can appreciate what we have rather than always worrying about what we don't have.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Bumping my question to the next page

Is global smash power ranking effected differently between 1v1 and 4 player?

Like if lose a match in 1v1 will my smash power go down? but if I get 2nd or 3rd place in a 4 person match will my smash power still go up a little just not as much as 1st place?

Edit: there has to be someone here that played smash on Wii U that has to know this
The Wii U's visible GSP was an inverse ranking based upon your single player modes' high scores. Matches had nothing to do with it.

Linkhero1

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
Not really. You can contribute the number of posts at the time to the shock associated with the announcement. We're at a point where we pretty much know all the content of the base game, so there's a lot less speculation happening at the moment. I do expect hype to pick up closer to launch.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
So guys

I still have 3 wii u pro controllers and i dont have switch controllers except for my 2 joycons.

The cheapest way to play this with friends (4 players) would be to use my wii u pros with usb dongles right? Can i have 3 dongles simultaneously? Like is it physically possible or does one dongle block the other usb port.

What are the best/cheapest dongles?
I don't know much about dongles, but if they're big and don't support multiple controllers (this should be possible), you can probably find a cheap USB hub somewhere.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just waiting for the game now. We know what we're getting in terms of characters and stages. Things like music and Mii costumes can be left as surprises. I feel like speculation can be put on the back burner so we can appreciate what we have rather than always worrying about what we don't have.
Yeah, I've contributed to the conversations sometimes but overall I really don't have the energy or desire to speculate a ton on DLC right now. I'm just getting antsy for the game.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've contributed to the conversations sometimes but overall I really don't have the energy or desire to speculate a ton on DLC right now. I'm just getting antsy for the game.

Exactly where I'm at. Maybe a few months down the line I'll get back into character speculation but for now i've had my fill and just want to play the damn game already.

Status
Not open for further replies.