• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you for Smash?

• Hyped

Votes: 220 23.0%
  • Super Hyped

Votes: 574 60.0%
  • I don’t know what a smash is

Votes: 162 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Is there enough fans of these games in Japan who aren't Smash fans that would buy in just for those characters? I'm not sure there's enough to justify it.

DQ still isn't owned by Nintendo so more sales isn't a gain for them. The only possible gain I can see is if they expect making the series popular could sell more systems somehow.
Well Granblue had an estimated 22 million players worldwide last month

I'm pretty sure not all of them are going to buy Smash.

DQ is an entirely different beast.

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
That's my boy but most people didn't even know who he was at the reveal.

And he's the damn person Dracula is talking too with the What is a man? quote and most people had no clue
yeah that was always weird to me haha

i was like "wait you dont know richter? hes the guy who said "DIE MONSTER" in that castlevania meme!" and then they were like "ohhh right"

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
This basically lol I'm not even sure why Castlevania is being compared to Xenosaga when Castlevania was a successful series for so long.

And I have nothing against KOS-MOS for Smash.

No use for that success as it was long gone when Sakurai decided on Simon.. Saying KOS-MOS can't get in because "dead" well I think Castlevania was also dead at that time.

I think that characters can get in regardless of their series history dead or not, that was my point.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
I like how Richter's gorgeous portrait art in the SotN opening doesn't match his sprite at all

I legit thought richter and the guy in the sotn were different people at first because i remembered the portrait

i recognized richter from rondo of blood but I couldn't put the name to the game until afterwords.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
So Mac post was official, eh. Good game, DrArchon.

---

I wonder if Kid Dracula tease ends up being all about the spirit.

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
No use for that success as it was long gone when Sakurai decided on Simon.. Saying KOS-MOS can't get in because "dead" well I think Castlevania was also dead at that time.

I think that characters can get in regardless of their series history dead or not, that was my point.
Castlevania had a much bigger legacy than Xenosaga and the last Castlevania game isn't even that old and the franchise has a new successful Netflix series, it's far from dead. Xenosaga on the other hand hasn't had anything in a decade+ bar KOS-MOS cameos.

Also, the Smash roster was chosen in 2016, 2 years after the last CV game. Declaring a franchise dead for not having a game in 2 years is outright silly.

I'm not saying they can't put KOS-MOS in, but really my issue here is that it's a bit disingenuous to even say they're remotely comparable.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I legit thought richter and the guy in the sotn were different people at first because i remembered the portrait

i recognized richter from rondo of blood but I couldn't put the name to the game until afterwords.

Yea the portrait's different, I think that is part of the reason why despite people knowing about "What is a man?" scene, they couldn't know who Richter was.

Castlevania had a much bigger legacy than Xenosaga and the last Castlevania game isn't even that old and the franchise has a new successful Netflix series, it's far from dead. Xenosaga on the other hand hasn't had anything in a decade+ bar KOS-MOS cameos.

Also, the Smash roster was chosen in 2016, 2 years after the last CV game. Declaring a franchise dead for not having a game in 2 years is outright silly.

I'm not saying they can't put KOS-MOS in, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to even say they're remotely comparable.

Yes I know, I know Castlevania kept getting games almost yearly but you know that Castlevania dies more as the years go by. Yes even with the relative-to-draft recent LoS2, the franchise was dead at that time.. the iconic series that people love and like has been long dead. Also Netflix series did nothing for the draft as it came after.

The reaction videos tell us some stuff.. Because it takes around a minute until Simon really appears, you see people saying out loud what they think will be revealed. I saw most videos and those who knew about the verge leak kept saying Simon out loud but that is because they saw the leak, and guess what, they did not know Richter(if they were aware of castlevania they would know because SoTN is the most praised Castlevania title). Those who did not know about the leak thought that was a different game rep all together.

I know Castlevania is a behemoth of a franchise that when put in the same paragraph with Xenosaga it would look silly. I love castlevania a lot, but I think we got a character from a dead series. (which was someone's reason why KOS-MOS would not get in)

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I like how Richter's gorgeous portrait art in the SotN opening doesn't match his sprite at all
"Yeah, we have the art for Richter's turn as brainwashed minion of Shaft, but what about how he actually looks in Rondo of Blood for the intro?"

"Meh. Let's just roll with this."

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Well Granblue had an estimated 22 million players worldwide last month

I'm pretty sure not all of them are going to buy Smash.

DQ is an entirely different beast.

I was more thinking converting the players to Smash would be harder. Smash has shown the series in it get an uptick in sales, but we've not heard the other way around much.

I'm not convinced though that they would risk the investment without a for sure ROI. I've often wondered which DLC for Smash 4 was the worst selling character as it might give insight on how Nintendo chose this time due to the return seen for developing these characters.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I ever side-eyed content in Game Informer quite as hard as when they listed their "Biggest Dorks" of the year (i.e.: Worst characters as a negative) and put Travis on the list, citing their reasoning in a way that clearly illustrated that the point of the character flew completely over their heads.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Difference between Castlevania and Xenosaga is one series has/had a deep history on Nintendo consoles and the other doesn't.

Castlevania has had games on NES, SNES, Gameboy, GBA, DS, Wii and 3DS.
Xenosaga was a trio of PS2 games. 2 we're ported to DS but that port never even left Japan.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Difference between Castlevania and Xenosaga is one series has/had a deep history on Nintendo consoles and the other doesn't.

Castlevania has had games on NES, SNES, Gameboy, GBA, DS, Wii and 3DS.
Xenosaga was a trio of PS2 games. 2 we're ported to DS but that port never even left Japan.
While true, Xenosaga still has the benefit of its original creators, still very attached to the franchise and its characters, now functioning as a Nintendo studio.

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon LGPE is gonna be a nice casual game for me to play until Smash comes out. I could use something like it right now

I want to play this game right now god dammit

Why is there no demo
what is your avatar from? the style looks a bit familiar for some reason but i dont know what

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Hitagi said the Namco rep isn/t Agumon and in her/his comments not Lloyd either

It has to be KOS-MOS, IMO Who else could be as high? Heihachi? I cant see Heihachi getting in now if he missed the base game and Sakurai's former comments regarding Heihachi's moveset being difficult to make in smash.
lwZabK1.jpg

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
If I had to rate Super Smash Bros today based on the informations giving, it is hard for me to find anything that would not allow it to be 100/100 points.

The only thing that could do that if the Online is crappy and if the shield for spirits is going on my nerves too much.

Otherwise, this game is perfection in every single aspect without any overperfection like in Red Dead Redemption 2, where your game fun is literally fked over by too much perfection.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is global smash power ranking effected differently between 1v1 and 4 player?

Like if lose a match in 1v1 will my smash power go down? but if I get 2nd or 3rd place in a 4 person match will my smash power still go up a little just not as much as 1st place?

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hitagi said the Namco rep isn/t Agumon and in her/his comments not Lloyd either

It has to be KOS-MOS, IMO Who else could be as high? Heihachi? I cant see Heihachi getting in now if he missed the base game and Sakurai's former comments regarding Heihachi's moveset being difficult to make in smash.

Scroll down a bit here: https://old.reddit.com/user/Senjoug...9ux39a/so_apparently_94_of_you_follow_me_lol/

So if Hitagi is correct this puts our dlc as Steve, Katalina (Maybe), Slime from DQ (SE rep) as he said the se rep isn't another FF character, Namco character (KOS-MOS or Heihachi... cant see it being anyone else), and a three houses fire emblem rep

But yes, still take this with a grain of salt.

Hoping this isn't true.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Is the game gold now? If not, how long till it is? They're probably already in production of the cartridges right? Maybe in a week we could see some early leaks of the remaining content.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I was surprised we didn't get the Detective hat as an option. Guess Game Freak see Detective Pikachu as a specific character separate from the regular mascot Pikachu and don't want to confuse matters.

Jorgie

Mar 28, 2018
Philadelphia
Part of me thinks the makers know their online is gonna be shit that's why no demo/stress test. They don't want the bad PR. I want to be wrong !

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Part of me thinks the makers know their online is gonna be shit that's why no demo/stress test. They don't want the bad PR. I want to be wrong !

They didn't do same thing for Mario Kart 8 (and Deluxe) so they are more likely to be more confident with it and I really hope that they aren't overconfident with it.

Who knows.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
they're not doing a demo because sakurai doesn't want dataminers to find out about the other six newcomers secretly hidden in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.