• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How hyped are you for Smash?

• Hyped

Votes: 220 23.0%
  • Super Hyped

Votes: 574 60.0%
  • I don’t know what a smash is

Votes: 162 16.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
bring back the hideous separate DLC character page with comically large icons from Smash 3DS

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
No no, I was asking about the changing region to play early part. How does that work?
Some regions have time zones that are further ahead, and because of that the game will be available sooner for them. If you purchase the game on that region's eShop, you'll have access to it when they do.

It's one of the many positives of being an Australian.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Some regions have time zones that are further ahead, and because of that the game will be available sooner for them. If you purchase the game on that region's eShop, you'll have access to it when they do.

It's one of the many positives of being an Australian.
Gotcha. I was hoping I could just change my region or something to play it early. Oh well!

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Let me organise the CSS by series you cowards.

unknown.png

(since I'm fully expecting the places of TT, Sandbag and Evil Cole being filled by Xenoblade 2, FE Three Houses and Gen 8 Pokemon respectively, this layout works out surprisingly well, actually.)

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yes.
Don't be a numpty. I specifically made those 5 DLC picks ludicrous so everyone understands they're a placeholder. I just picked particularly silly ones.
Looking at it again I'm upset that I didn't call out Bubsy before the Grinch. At least the Grinch is a likable icon

Blitzwolf215

Oct 26, 2017
Another new thread, whats the most a games got before launch anyway?

Also, Electorplankton for Smash....
hqdefault.jpg
....Eventually

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looking at it again I'm upset that I didn't call out Bubsy before the Grinch. At least the Grinch is a likable icon

4 of the 5 DLC placeholders I picked have some sort of relevancy that I thought to be fairly obvious.
Bubsy for being notoriously bad.
Grinch for the leak.
Evil Cole because he was an actual character in PSABR.
Sandbag because he's been a running gag character suggestion.
The fifth, TT, is there because I'd laugh if Nintendo were to get Rare on board and get him instead of Banjo.

Anyway, my real DLC expectations are about as interesting as those characters would be - as mentioned, Xenoblade 2, FE Three Houses, Gen 8 Pokemon, and the remaining two I expect to be Rayman and Monster Hunter.
I'm trying to keep my hype for the DLC extremely muted, especially if those rumours about Granblue getting in and stuff turn out to be true. I'm preparing myself mentally for the roster to be the dullest, most boring choices Nintendo could make.

Edit:
Also, I think after getting some sleep I'll try to make a 13x6 layout that the roster seems to be getting, rather than my own 16x5 one.

Last edited:

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Somebody needs to sync up the commercial with the Full Metal Jacket version of the Mickey Mouse Club March:

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if you can actually have music on Hanenbow this time, since it has Battlefield and Omega forms now

those forms are probably just doomed to silence forever

Mar 9, 2018
I never noticed that Duck Hunt has never included the duck in the character icon near the percentage marker during a battle. That's the case for both Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate. That's freaking wrong.

IdleSomeHamadryas-size_restricted.gif

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A new thread and people are talking about Travis before I even arrive?!

5GORLsK.gif

You make me proud, Era. Time to post some more killer tracks.

After Suda talking about how Nintendo expressed great interest in both his works and the series, it's never been a better time for the best boy to get into Smash. It's game time!

y766sCE.jpg

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: Yusuke Kozaki got hired as Fire Emblem's lead character illustrator starting from Awakening because Nintendo wanted the franchise to appeal more to the west. They knew how much that region loved No More Heroes, and hired him based on that. The rest, as they say, is history.

Basically what I'm getting at is, No More Heroes helped get Fire Emblem popular in the west, and who needs an FE rep when you got Travis.

I mean real talk: What could Travis do that's appreciably different from every other swordfighter?

That's an actual question because I've played the games but aside from using wrestling moves for grabs and turning into a tiger for his final smash, I've got nothing.
I made a really big post about this once! The basic gist of my Travis concept revolves around the idea that he's sort of a "reverse Cloud" if you will - he's got a series of powerful attacks but they all utilize his battery, which he needs to recharge if he runs out. A few separate concepts I've brainstormed myself includes him being able to switch swords (maybe use his dual swords Rose Nasty in his dash attack or something?) and turning into Glastonbury for his recovery move. Wrestling moves as throws wouldn't be the only point in which he uses physical attacks; a punch-kick jab combo would be there as his regular jab, and a clothesline punch as his forward Smash could make for a good stun attack. I also speculated that he'd have combination attacks based on his tilts (similar to how in you get different kind of attacks based on whether you hold your Wiimote up or down). What's funny is I wrote that post before Ultimate got revealed at E3 and when they confirmed that a bunch of characters now have gauges next to their UI icons which made it even more fitting! I think the most fun potential idea was giving him a Final Smash based on his Dark Side slots giving him a set of random Final Smashes - but that likely wouldn't happen given that they've excised transformation final smashes.

With the benefit of hindsight I think I'd change his charging katana to the shield + b motion that Inkling uses to recharge ink, and instead have his Down B be his Dark Step as a counter move. To make up for questionable mobility, his counter would permit him to cross-up his opponents. Think of it as a much faster version of bat within but as a regular counter.

Also, it's worth pointing out that Suda mentioned he designed Travis Strikes Again's gameplay with a sort of ulterior motive in the sense that he wanted the character to fit into Smash better. In that game, he has a much wider arsenal, including jumping attacks, and a bunch of various special attacks such as placing mines and performing shotgun style blasts. If he got into Smash, chances are he'd be based off of that version to some extent.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
And here is the reason why Dragon Quest most likely won't happen in Smash.
Sequare Enix has hated music sharing for years now. You'd have websites hosted MP3s for every gaming tune you could imagine bar Square Enix games, because they were the one company to crack down on it.

Also there's a big difference between Nintendo having a legal agreement to use some DQ tunes in Smash and some unknown individuals sharing music files for free over the internet.

So it's not even a reason let alone the reason.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a complete list of every song that's confirmed for the game so far? I've been checking Crunchii and the SSB Wiki.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I posted my contribution in the other thread but I'll post it here because it needs to be seen to be believed and there's no way I can top it

Status
Not open for further replies.