• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That wasn't a Sad joker gif lol. In the film that's where he's Taunting/trolling someone lol
Yea, this would be more appropriate.
d8c8745e9843b070c33d37c3ea57a884.gif

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
We were teasing a Smash announcement? Pretty sure Ash was just talking about D1's tease

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I missed quite a kerfuffle.

We're timeshifting tonight. Do you think jet lag could be translated into a Smash fighter gimmick?

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
We're timeshifting tonight. Do you think jet lag could be translated into a Smash fighter gimmick?
It wouldn't exactly be jet lag, but a mechanic vaguely like that could work with a time travelling character (a few could fit into this archetype). Say, one of this character's Special Moves makes them reverse their movement as a way to represent "travelling back in time" but afterwards they get de-buffed for a few seconds (maybe they just move slower or something). It could work.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't exactly be jet lag, but a mechanic vaguely like that could work with a time travelling character (a few could fit into this archetype). Say, one of this character's Special Moves makes them reverse their movement as a way to represent "travelling back in time" but afterwards they get de-buffed for a few seconds (maybe they just move slower or something). It could work.

That's why I don't really want to see Tracer in Smash Bros because I (or we) know that it's going to be really annoying to deal with Tracer where she could go backward and all damages that have been done to her would be erased. Small percentage being healed could change the game hugely.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's why I don't really want to see Tracer in Smash Bros because I (or we) know that it's going to be really annoying to deal with Tracer where she could go backward and all damages that have been done to her would be erased. Small percentage being healed could change the game hugely.

I mean, Wario and Wii Fit Trainer both have moves that heal a little bit, and their gameplay balance does not hinge on it. It'd have to be a lot more significant to make a dent.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter if they heal some if they die super quick. Basically make it the same way that OW balances it.

Give her so-so recovery and make her light and her healing herself won't matter too much.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The third character will probably be announced at E3. If Brave isn't Banjo then I suppose we'll start seeing Microsoft and Nintendo's partnership along with the Smash character.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't matter if they heal some if they die super quick. Basically make it the same way that OW balances it.

Give her so-so recovery and make her light and her healing herself won't matter too much.

I mean, Wario and Wii Fit Trainer both have moves that heal a little bit, and their gameplay balance does not hinge on it. It'd have to be a lot more significant to make a dent.

Those moves actually healed for like 1-3%; but it's not like how Tracer's Recall would works. Here is a scenario: Tracer got hit by couple characters for like 70% within few seconds; and all Tracer had to do is recall to shed off those damages as if it didn't happens so I can't really see Recall would heal for like 1-3%.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
If the Nintendo/Microsoft partnership rumors are true and games like Rare Replay and Master Chief Collection are revealed at E3, then a Microsoft character will probably be revealed for Smash at the event as well. Waiting to reveal the Microsoft character at a later date would be anticlimactic. At the same time, we can surmise that "Brave" will be the second DLC character based on the placeholder data, leading me to believe that Joker and Brave will release simultaneously in April or Brave and the Microsoft character will release simultaneously in June. I'm leaning towards the latter scenario being more likely.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think people are getting a little too thirsty, but there is no way "Brave" is Banjo.

I'm not entirely convinced it's Erdrick. "Brave" was written in English while Piranha Plant used its Japanese name "Packu."

Basically I'm wondering if the codenames are alphabetical.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If the Nintendo/Microsoft partnership rumors are true and games like Rare Replay and Master Chief Collection are revealed at E3, then a Microsoft character will probably be revealed for Smash at the event as well. Waiting to reveal the Microsoft character at a later date would be anticlimactic. At the same time, we can surmise that "Brave" will be the second DLC character based on the placeholder data, leading me to believe that Joker and Brave will release simultaneously in April or Brave and the Microsoft character will release simultaneously in June. I'm leaning towards the latter scenario being more likely.
I don't think characters are going to be released at the same time. Timeline I was expecting was Joker in April with Brave/DLC 2 announced in a presentation for 3.0. E3 releases DLC 2 and reveals DLC 3 in the presentation with DLC 3 being released at Evo. DLC 4 revealed and released in a Fall Direct (around October). DLC 5 revealed at TGA 2019 and released in the same month or January.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not entirely convinced it's Erdrick. "Brave" was written in English while Piranha Plant used its Japanese name "Packu."

Basically I'm wondering if the codenames are alphabetical.

I'm not saying "Brave" is Erdrick. But I am saying it's not Banjo. C'mon, man.

When I say this thread has a Banjo obsession problem, this is exactly what I am talking about. Look at how much this character dominates discussion around here, with no actual evidence he will even be in the game. (And I say this not totally dismissing the possibility.)

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

I'm more of latter but I think they would announce Brave and the release would be shadow drop or very soon; awhile they would announce third character and emphasize that it's coming eventually (like a month or two months later).

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
They don't need to release the Microsoft rep at the same time they are revealed. I think the Microsoft Rep will be revealed at E3 and released after EVO, while Erdrick is shadow-dropped during E3.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A number of people in this thread are obsessed with Banjo, and some of you need to admit you have a problem.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying "Brave" is Erdrick. But I am saying it's not Banjo. C'mon, man.

When I say this thread has a Banjo obsession problem, this is exactly what I am talking about. Look at how much this character dominates discussion around here, with no actual evidence he will even be in the game. (And I say this not totally dismissing the possibility.)

Brave being Banjo was just a thought I had based on the idea that the codenames are meant to correspond alphabetically. Not saying it's likely or anything but it's not something I put a lot of time into.

As for this thread's "obsession", well, we like Banjo. He's got plenty of nostalgia obsessed boomers fans who want to see him again, and the release of Cuphead on Switch at Microsoft's prompting, plus the rumours that Microsoft will be releasing their games on the Switch like Rare Replay and the Master Chief Collection, has us more hopeful that we'll see him again when all hope seemed lost for the past 16 years.

Mar 9, 2018
Rare Replay on Switch would be amazing. But I am so worried that even if it happens, they will cut out the Xbox games. The Xbox Rare games have aged better than most of the N64 games...except for like Perfect Dark and maybe the Banjo games.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
You know guys...it's possible for Nintendo and Microsoft to have a partnership and yet not put a character in Smash, lol.

Ubisoft made a Mario/Rabbids crossover and had an extensive Star Fox cameo in their Starlink game, and yet you don't see Rayman or whatever playable.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
E3 is where they will announce a Microsoft character for Smash. That won't happen anywhere else. Be it Banjo or MC or whoever. I expect many announcements from Microsoft and Nintendo

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
You know guys...it's possible for Nintendo and Microsoft to have a partnership and yet not put a character in Smash, lol.

Ubisoft made a Mario/Rabbids crossover and had an extensive Star Fox cameo in their Starlink game, and yet you don't see Rayman or whatever playable.
Shhhh.... Logic has no place here.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Brave being Banjo was just a thought I had based on the idea that the codenames are meant to correspond alphabetically. Not saying it's likely or anything but it's not something I put a lot of time into.

As for this thread's "obsession", well, we like Banjo. He's got plenty of nostalgia obsessed boomers fans who want to see him again, and the release of Cuphead on Switch at Microsoft's prompting, plus the rumours that Microsoft will be releasing their games on the Switch like Rare Replay and the Master Chief Collection, has us more hopeful that we'll see him again when all hope seemed lost for the past 16 years.

Whether Banjo gets into the game or not, the fact that you posted this thought in this thread should be considered a sign that you might have a problem.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's not a necessity to happen of course, but it also would be an enormous gain for both companies, and not having any sort of MS character in Smash would be a huge waste of an opportunity.

Also there's a big difference between cooperating with a third party developer/publisher, and one of the direct competitors on the console market.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say getting Bamco to develop your game and then not adding Haruka Amami is a bigger waste of an opportunity.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say getting Bamco to develop your game and then not adding Haruka Amami is a bigger waste of an opportunity.

It is weird that we totally skip over the idea of a Bamco rep when they're the developers. Are they really lacking that much in notable IPs?

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Also i'm kinda glad Heartskips isn't in these threads anymore.

They would be screaming at the top of their lungs over the prospects of a Microsoft rep lol

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
It is weird that we totally skip over the idea of a Bamco rep when they're the developers. Are they really lacking that much in notable IPs?
As far as recognizable IP goes, they really only have Tekken and maybe Tales left. There's also Dark Souls if that counts. Soulcalibur was notable 15-20 years ago, but I don't think Siegfried or Nightmare would feel like a big enough deal in Smash Bros. I also don't think we're going to see another '80s golden age arcade character like Dig Dug since Pac-Man was designed with that aesthetic in mind.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Namco said SoulCalibur VI's launch was "successful."

(Maybe people would like Sophitia more?)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Yeah, i'm really surprised that we still haven't gotten a second Bandai Namco rep. It's not like they are lacking in reasonable choices for reps, with Tales, Dark Souls (if it counts) and Tekken (plus Soul Calibur, if they decided to go with Yoshimitsu as a rep for both). Or, you know, they could pick from the Bandai side and put in Agumon or Mametchi.

Also i'm kinda glad Heartskips isn't in these threads anymore.

They would be screaming at the top of their lungs over the prospects of a Microsoft rep lol
I could only imagine how SieteBlanco would have reacted to the base roster only having two female characters.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
The only ones that really crossed mind were Tales, Soul Calibur and Tekken. I'm a big stan for Chosen Undead but Dark Souls is only published by them in the West.
The problem is that so many of Bamco's big games are licensed games. Shonen Jump (and its associated properties), Gundam, etc. And we're not going to see any of that represented.

Status
Not open for further replies.