• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which event do you think we would see 6th character reveal at?

• General Direct (in Feb)

Votes: 93 25.8%
  • General Direct (in March)

Votes: 45 12.5%
  • E3

Votes: 173 47.9%
  • Random Smash Presentation before E3

Votes: 50 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Chibi-Robo is not a fetishized anime girl, but he kind of sounds like he could be
Deviantart is slacking. This is all I found in a quick Google search for Chibi-Robo Gijinka:

chibi_robo__gijinkas_by_ryublu_d525njz-fullview.jpg

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
So because Samus is in this game, people who have legitimate issues with the issue of female sexualization in video games should just shut the fuck up? For the record Zero Suit Samus shouldn't have high heels. It's stupid.

Some of y'all need to read the Why Women Criticize Sexualized Character Designs Thread.
There is a large difference between thinking that female sexualization in video games is a problem (it is) and thinking that a female character is worthless because of it.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is requesting this character - the protagonist of several highly-respected JRPGs - some sort of weeby, perverse "waifu" request, because her character design is anime?

And if not, what's the difference really between requesting her and requesting a female lead character from a different genre?

And if so... how?
Depends on the point of the game. Requesting the character from that VR summer lessons game is waifu crap. Requesting someone from a respected video game franchise is probably fine, but could quickly turn into waifu crap.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Depends on the point of the game. Requesting the character from that VR summer lessons game is waifu crap. Requesting someone from a respected video game franchise is probably fine, but could quickly turn into waifu crap.
I'm really not sure what your point is in the first place, then. Nobody asked for a character from "that VR summer lessons game."

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck off with this kind of shit. Regardless of the source, blanket de-legitimizing characters just because they're women and creepy nerds happen to also exist is nonsense. Even drawing the line at "anime" women would basically count out the entirety of Japanese-made heroines, including all the ones made and designed by women, characters that women look up to and are fans of, and the characters and game series that are established icons of their respective genres.

Fuuuuuck off.
Sorry the weebs ruined it for you, but I am sure your love pillow is around so go hug it and feel better.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
A brave soul wandered into this den of filth and was devoured by the weebs within.
A troll got the ball rolling because they're offended by Id@lmaster
This feels like it...
some members thought itd be really cool to openly objectify women in a smash thread apparently
This doesn't feel like it. I've re-read the post and there's just the usual harmless "I want this character from Idolmaster in the game" post, no objectification from the one that posted it.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Just a reminder, this is the sexualized design that started this conversation:
latest

I can't believe Sakurai would even consider it. I thought Smash was for good girls and boys smh.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not sure what your point is in the first place, then. Nobody asked for a character from "that VR summer lessons game."
Go back through the posts. Someone asked for a distinction between when it would or wouldn't be "waifu crap" to ask for a character. I am distinguishing between a character made to be played in a game (Heroes of Steel) vs a character made to be gawked at.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
How does the idea that someone out there would look at your Chibi-Robo Amiibo and think, "damn, that's hot" make you feel?
Not really surprising; people can find a way to get off to anything.

The Nintendo Direct thread being locked because of lewd discussions about Kirby is permanent knowledge i'll be forced to keep for all eternity.

Just a reminder, this is the sexualized design that started this conversation:
latest

I can't believe Sakurai would even consider it. I thought Smash was for good girls and boys smh.
You can't just post something like this in the open! At least have the decency to put your filthy waifus (using that term, even ironically, hurts me) in a spoiler tab!

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just to be clear:
I am not offended by waifu or weeb stuff at all. I am not cracking jokes on people because I have some huge problem with the objectificaiton of cartoon characters.

I just think weebs and waifu stuff is super lame and the people that are into it have a high overlap with people I find super lame. It's not about anything more than cat ears and naruto head bands being stupid.

But more power to those who are roasting because of the objectification issues. That is certainly an issue.

But to be clear--I just like joking on folks and weebs/waifu stuff is real easy targets.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Is requesting this character - the protagonist of several highly-respected JRPGs - some sort of weeby, perverse "waifu" request, because her character design is anime?

And if not, what's the difference really between requesting her and requesting a female lead character from a different genre?

And if so... how?

Yes, you're a pervert. /s if anyone thought I was serious

Last edited:

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
im not talking about that post. im talking about shit like the waifu posts

its super gross
Genuinely: Which ones? As far as I've seen, everyone who's used the term here has either mocked the term itself or else used it facetiously to object to the hyper-liberal use of it to dismiss all female characters with anime designs as nothing more than sex objects.

Just to be clear:
I am not offended by waifu or weeb stuff at all. I am not cracking jokes on people because I have some huge problem with the objectificaiton of cartoon characters.

I just think weebs and waifu stuff is super lame and the people that are into it have a high overlap with people I find super lame. It's not about anything more than cat ears and naruto head bands being stupid.

But more power to those who are roasting because of the objectification issues. That is certainly an issue.

But to be clear--I just like joking on folks and weebs/waifu stuff is real easy targets.
Sure, but the logical jump from "you like an anime character" to "lol, waifu-loving weeaboo" is, uh, not one you've managed to justify.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Hah! I'm immune to getting avatar quoted because I lost my 2B avatar in a bet. Better luck next time westaboos.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): Avatar shaming. Hostility. Trolling over a series of posts.
Genuinely: Which ones? As far as I've seen, everyone who's used the term here has either mocked the term itself or else used it facetiously to object to the hyper-liberal use of it to dismiss all female characters with anime designs as nothing more than sex objects.

Sure, but the logical jump from "you like an anime character" to "lol, waifu-loving weeaboo" is, uh, not one you've managed to justify.
Naw I just haven't justified it to your liking. Far as I am concerned if you want an anime girl in smash, it's because you're a weeb waifu lover. That's satisfactory to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.