• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which event do you think we would see 6th character reveal at?

• General Direct (in Feb)

Votes: 93 25.8%
  • General Direct (in March)

Votes: 45 12.5%
  • E3

Votes: 173 47.9%
  • Random Smash Presentation before E3

Votes: 50 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
I don't know how serious people are being with their expectations for the Torna characters. If Byleth was chosen over the three house leaders, then I think the player character of a main game would be chosen before those from an expansion. I guess it's mostly due to disdain over Rex in particular.

Anyway, with a whole six new characters coming, I'd say it will be quite difficult for all of the new fighters to have zero existing spirit, costume or AT presence.
There's a difference in those. In Three Houses you'll always be Byleth no matter what route you choose, there's some story maps where you can ignore using the leaders while Byleth is always locked to use and there's even a route where you end up without none of them at your side. In the case of Torna, you can buy the game separately without ever touching XB2 and Lora is the clear protagonist of it.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
whoever localized the Kirby 64 enemy names probably should've given this one a second pass
4ad69132-061d-4a50-bqujwk.jpeg

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I hope that the next Smash game decides to implement using multiple weapons for more FE characters.

Like, Lucina can use lances and bows (in Heroes), Ike can use axes, and Robin and Corrin can both change classes. Do something with that.

wedl

Oct 26, 2017
honestly yeah, anna would be a really good way to rep FE if they ever were to cut down on the roster? she has a unique personality (which even as a FE fan i have to admit the smash personalities are sterile) and she has a lot of potentially fun movesets. plus shed be friends with wario :D

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that the next Smash game decides to implement using multiple weapons for more FE characters.

Like, Lucina can use lances and bows (in Heroes), Ike can use axes, and Robin and Corrin can both change classes. Do something with that.

Agreed

Even the boring FE characters have a lot of untapped potential that would easily make up for their existence

Like 8 Fire Emblem characters is vulgar but they only really started to be interesting after Robin, which is like 4 characters in...

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
If I could change the history of FE in Smash, it'd make it Marth/Lucina, Tiki, Ike, Anna, Robin, Byleth. Or replace Tiki with Lyn and Byleth with a house leader.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If I could change the history of FE in Smash, it'd make it Marth/Lucina, Tiki, Ike, Anna, Robin, Byleth. Or replace Tiki with Lyn and Byleth with a house leader.
My FE roster would look like this:
  1. Marth
  2. Roy
  3. Lyn
  4. Ike
  5. Robin
  6. Corrin
  7. Fjorm
  8. Byleth
One hero from each game, all distinct fighting styles, no echo fighters.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I'd swap out Eirika for Lucina and Sigurd for Chrom, but otherwise I'm fine with the number of FE characters.

I think it's pretty clear that most Nintendo series are pretty tapped out of big names for fighters so I don't blame Sakurai for returning to the eternal fountain of infinite beloved central characters that is Pokemon and Fire Emblem, especially when both are so huge with normies and their mobile games.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
ESAM did a pretty good breakdown of Byleth's moveset

Nice video. Armada did an analysis also and it was interesting too, pointing to some interesting bait options off stage that Byleth can have.

Anyway, good to talk about the character possibilities here. I think this topic would be a better place if people talked more about this kind of stuff.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Now that i've realised that the CSS would be a perfect rectangle with either echo stack option if we just get four more echo fighters (which also fills in the remaining internal character slots); i've fallen into true despair knowing that it won't happen.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
To clarify and go into it a bit more... Tiki and Anna have recurring appearances, unique potential, plus give us something other than the main lords, and female. Their absence might've become more glaring than most Zelda character requests if FE was still lacking in characters.

Roy made it in thanks to working as a clone and an advertisement, and came back because Melee made him popular (and then "everyone is here"). I wouldn't cut him, but in this context of going back and changing things, I wouldn't have added him in the first place. Also, Anna would fill the red hair void he leaves...

Lucina is popular, and I like her inclusion. Echo, alt, whatever, she makes sense being in Smash.

Ike and Lyn are even more popular, plus Lyn was in the West's first FE game. Lyn just didn't have the timing.

Robin brings magic, and was a better choice than Chrom (although I'd personally prefer Tharja, I accept that wouldn't happen).

Three Houses was really well received, so given different circumstances Byleth could've been more accepted.

Personally, I'd go with Azura over Byleth.

I would've preferred her over Corrin, especially in a timeline where Tiki were in. But I wouldn't put her in over someone from Three Houses, I think that game should probably get something.

As for another possibly, with Anna taking Byleth's shtick, perhaps Edelgard had potential as an Ike echo, representing Three Houses using less resources. But dlc echoes still aren't a thing.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
People tended to be fine with FE's representation up until Smash 4's DLC methinks. Or maybe just until Corrin? I said it before Byleth got announced, but I think a FETH rep would have been requested pretty heavily if Corrin simply wasn't there, maybe even with Roy and Chrom still padding FE out. Ultimate's Everyone is Here goal would have made it that Roy came back regardless of what happened with Smash 4's DLC, but I think people would generally be okay with Marth/Lucy, Ike, Robin, Byleth, though maybe Roy being in there too would have been pushing it.

I'm trying to think of a "balanced" FE roster, and its difficult. I want to represent the older games (1-5), the GBA games, the Tellius games, the 3DS games, and then TH, but in the end the best I can think for that would be Marth, Lyn, Ike, Robin, and Byleth. That's all sword users, but I think that's just what FE has to be the more I think of it unless you want to throw in characters that are less important simply for the sake of their weapon, which I don't think is a good idea. From a gameplay stand point, Marth, Ike, Robin, and Byleth all are different despite the swords, and Lyn would probably work out well with a flash quick draw movest. Anna I suppose would be my pick for a sixth fighter though, and for her I'd hope specifically she wouldn't be using a sword primarily. Maybe a staff, though she should still have the Levin Sword's long range bolt.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
If I were to be realistic though, the one issue with removing Roy from history is who could've taken that place? I say Roy shouldn't have happened, but that just means Melee has one less character or a different FE clone. Looking at Melee's roster I can only think of Ninten, not sure if I'd make that trade or not.

Corrin definitely should've been Elma, though.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Sakurai mentioning 17 main FE games made me wanna see how would other franchises stack on mainlines, but I dont feel like counting atm.

I do think without looking that 17 is a BIG number for mainline games. It might help Sakurai think FE is gargantuan franchise, rather than people on forum looking at sales in which technically I dont think FE has passed Metroid quite yet.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Was bored and decided to watch reactions to snake & the "Everyone is Here" moment from the Smash 2018 Trailer.
God, such a good moment in gaming. I don't think anything will top it for me outside Dino Crisis coming back for quite some time.
Sakurai can put whatever the fuck he wants in a game for giving me that gift.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Was bored and decided to watch reactions to snake & the "Everyone is Here" moment from the Smash 2018 Trailer.
God, such a good moment in gaming. I don't think anything will top it for me outside Dino Crisis coming back for quite some time.
Sakurai can put whatever the fuck he wants in a game for giving me that gift.
Can you post some of these? I feel like seeing them again :3

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Sakurai mentioning 17 main FE games made me wanna see how would other franchises stack on mainlines, but I dont feel like counting atm.

I do think without looking that 17 is a BIG number for mainline games. It might help Sakurai think FE is gargantuan franchise, rather than people on forum looking at sales in which technically I dont think FE has passed Metroid quite yet.
See, I was actually going to go through them all, but with the orignal 12 alone already being bothersome and full of different points of contention that I just gave up, lol.

I can provide an official answer for one of them at least; Super Mario has 22 main series games (per the official website... which you could argue against since, unlike Sakurai's Fire Emblem count in the Direct, doesn't count remakes like Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, Super Mario All-Stars or Super Mario 64 DS... but counts New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe).

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I just found this randomly on google images, and I gotta give 'em props for including Reina.

XKg3tfJ.png

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
See, I was actually going to go through them all, but with the orignal 12 alone already being bothersome and full of different points of contention that I just gave up, lol.

I can provide an official answer for one of them at least; Super Mario has 22 main series games (per the official website... which you could argue against since, unlike Sakurai's Fire Emblem count in the Direct, doesn't count remakes like Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, Super Mario All-Stars or Super Mario 64 DS... but counts New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe).

The Fire Emblem remakes have always brought completely new characters, engines, designs and generally outright replace the originals when they reference the past. IS themselves and fans generally count them too so it's kind of different from how other franchises handle remakes.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah that is, really close to FE mainline. Of course, Mario so many spinoffs its not even funny.

I do believe Metroid has quite solid game count with this way. Metroid, 2, Super, ZM, Fusion, Primes 1-3, Other M, 2Remake, tho I suppose not counting remakes it Still makes into 8, which isnt too bad considering Metroid has bad sales reputation.

I do wonder if Nintendo hates that NA has huge love and legacy for Metroid so they cant just abandon it like F-Zero lol.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Hope the Smash community isn't that torn anymore in Byleth getting in. After watching some gameplay he/she looks pretty to play as.

As for the second season pass...

Here's hoping for;

1. Paper Mario
2. Leon S. Kennedy or Jill Valentine
3. Travis Touchdown
4. Twintelle/Min Min/Ribbon Girl
5. Kos-Mos

And for arguments sake I suppose one slot will be reserved for Master Chief.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
You know what? We can just do count of mainline games piece by piece. Its fine lol

I guess I'll do Kirby one. Lots of classics, 3 Sakurai games, 3 classics non-Sakurai, NiDL, AM, SS, SSU, RtDL, TD, PR, SA. Do the drawing ones count? Or that compilation or 20th anniversary. Oh well, Kirby at least has 14, 12 if no remakes.

Mario: 22 at least
Metroid: 8-10
Kirby: 12-14
FE: 17

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I found it interesting Sakurai mentioned he played BotW all the way through and realized he couldn't have a playable Zelda...

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
I mean Zelda did like ONE thing near end thats anywhere close to make for a varied moveset. And that kind of turned into her Final Smash.

I honestly think real issue is that she didnt have a dress. Her model & animations would have probably required way more work if they couldnt share anything from older model.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean Zelda did like ONE thing near end thats anywhere close to make for a varied moveset. And that kind of turned into her Final Smash.

I honestly think real issue is that she didnt have a dress. Her model & animations would have probably required way more work if they couldnt share anything from older model.
Don't you think Sakurai is playing BotW 2 right now with a playable Zelda in it? I almost thought he was trying to hint at that (I know I'm reading too much into it lol)

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Getting aLttP Zelda > geting BotW Zelda.

She's the first rep for pre OoT Zelda games!

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Don't you think Sakurai is playing BotW 2 right now with a playable Zelda in it? I almost thought he was trying to hint at that (I know I'm reading too much into it lol)
I'm just wondering will Nintendo make it only Link is playable again with Zelda only as a bit more appearing companion lol

Honestly, I thought of BotW2 allowing a marketing rep for FP2, but if Byleth is to go my, Sakurai would probably pick a playable character. We simply dont have enough info on future Nintendo games.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It'd never happen, but I think FE's representation in Smash should be completely rethought. When Marth was added back in Melee, a sword-only character was an actual unique feature in Smash. That's why Sakurai removed even the Fire Emblem from him (which he carries during most of his original games) and pushed him as a pure sword wielder to contrast with Link having various tools. However, in current Smash, a pure sword weapon wielder just doesn't stand out anymore and Marth became the basis for a large number of FE characters in Smash (Roy, Lucina, Chrom) even Ike up to a point (in the sense that he was designed as a slow and powerful pure sword wielder to contrast with Marth's quick style, something he never was in his PoR and RD appearances, to the point that projectiles were discarded because they wouldn't fit with that concept).

So, what I think should be done is to give more emphasis to Fire Emblem's battlefield commander aspect. Basically, I think every special attack should be changed into summoning some secondary character to actually do the attack for or alongside the actual playable character. For example, the shield breaker could be replaced by a mage like Merric or Linde appearing to unleash a spell, whiel the counter could be replaced by an attack by a knight with super armor (or just a counter, but done by this armor rather than the character directly).

This same structure then could be applied to the other characters. It'd give all FE characters in Smash a clear visual niche beyond just "anime warrior". Still, if something obvious like giving Ganondorf specials actually based on Zelda games was never done since it'd basically cut him in Sakurai's view, something like this will certainly never happen.

not gonna lie it'd be really funny to see Dark Chrom when Dark Robin is actually a canon thing
One of the DLC maps from Awakening actually heavily implies that fallen timeline Chrom and co became the Risen that you face in that map (although they just have generic Risen designs), and like mentioned there the TCG made it an actual unique design.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Hope the Smash community isn't that torn anymore in Byleth getting in. After watching some gameplay he/she looks pretty to play as.

As for the second season pass...

Here's hoping for;

1. Paper Mario
2. Leon S. Kennedy or Jill Valentine
3. Travis Touchdown
4. Twintelle/Min Min/Ribbon Girl
5. Kos-Mos

And for arguments sake I suppose one slot will be reserved for Master Chief.
I'd be right there with you regarding 2 & 4, but the spirit event for RE sadly killed any chance of Jill or Leon in Ultimate.

It still stings, man. ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.