• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which event do you think we would see 6th character reveal at?

• General Direct (in Feb)

Votes: 93 25.8%
  • General Direct (in March)

Votes: 45 12.5%
  • E3

Votes: 173 47.9%
  • Random Smash Presentation before E3

Votes: 50 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So do you guys think the character will leak tonight?

07e614927d673bb930df0f641f4cf407dc8ae119306e3814d4b214e6bcb5c75e.jpg

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh sweet, we're at the part of the hype cycle where we just post game music? Love that bit.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless, I doubt a FE3H rep will cause as much backlash as Corrin did

People actually like FE3H, and the 3 lords are relatively well regarded

Byleth, not as much, but she's still popular because people love her jumbo yum yums

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Corrin vitriol was honestly ridiculous

Like a character with an interesting moveset concept ended up being reviled because Smash fanboys couldn't bear to see Fire Emblem get another rep, even though it should have been obvious to everyone that the character was a passion choice. And then the Fates haters joined in and it was like this clusterfuck of people whining and bad takes, which sucked.

Fates is a bit of a punchline and Corrin is really bad in Ultimate now so I guess they had the last laugh
Corrin in the long term ended up becoming my main in Smash 4, but honestly if you had to force me at gunpoint I do believe her - and maybe Sheik with the benefit of hindsight - feel like arguably the most expendable characters in the cast. It's probably the most "ehhh" reaction I've had at any inclusion and as a purely personal point I still kinda blame the character for us missing out on Elma.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I really, really hope the character doesn't leak. I want the reveal trailer to begin and have absolutely no idea what to expect. That hasn't happened in a long time.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Anything interesting to talk about for rumors/speculation? Working on a project pretty much all day today.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's a weak argument considering Erdrick was always planned to be a part of it and how Dragon Quest XI was two years old. The Switch port was a bonus.
Not really. Sakurai went into the negotiations hoping to get the XI Hero and wanted to use Smash to promote XIS. Even then Nintendo did a lot to tie Smash into XIS such as putting a XIS trailer after their reveal trailer at E3 and specifically namedropping Smash during a CIS segment in the September Direct

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not really. Sakurai went into the negotiations hoping to get the XI Hero and wanted to use Smash to promote XIS. Even then Nintendo did a lot to tie Smash into XIS such as putting a XIS trailer after their reveal trailer at E3 and specifically namedropping Smash during a CIS segment in the September Direct

Nintendo promotes Dragon Quest more than they promote some of their own series. This isn't any kind of mystery.

PK Gaming

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Corrin in the long term ended up becoming my main in Smash 4, but honestly if you had to force me at gunpoint I do believe her - and maybe Sheik with the benefit of hindsight - feel like arguably the most expendable characters in the cast. It's probably the most "ehhh" reaction I've had at any inclusion and as a purely personal point I still kinda blame the character for us missing out on Elma.

I don't really see them cutting a wholly unique character over a clone/low priority character

But if we're disregarding clones, then yeah I suppose I see your point

Blame Japan for Elma; XBX wasn't as well-received over there compared to the West

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Fighter's Pass 2 should be called the Sega Smash Pack

+ a Puyo Puyo song, not too familiar with the best jams from that series

Mar 9, 2018

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, and also,

[vs satan theme on last page]

edit: Oh, that was posted last page. Let's go with... this one

Oh THAT'S where that Sonic Mania jam came from

Smash needs more of the Genesis soundfont also, so I'll round out the Sega Smash Pack to five characters with a Streets of Rage rep

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh THAT'S where that Sonic Mania jam came from

Smash needs more of the Genesis soundfont also, so I'll round out the Sega Smash Pack to five characters with a Streets of Rage rep

If getting several SEGA characters isn't possible, y'know what I'd be okay with? A character that's from a classic SEGA game but treated like they're from the "SEGA AGES" series so we get a TON of music. Hellll yeahhhh

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The Corrin vitriol was honestly ridiculous

Like a character with an interesting moveset concept ended up being reviled because Smash fanboys couldn't bear to see Fire Emblem get another rep, even though it should have been obvious to everyone that the character was a passion choice. And then the Fates haters joined in and it was like this clusterfuck of people whining and bad takes, which sucked.

Fates is a bit of a punchline and Corrin is really bad in Ultimate now so I guess they had the last laugh

lol

nobody has to like every character that gets added to smash and it isn't smash fans' fault fates was controversial

Oct 27, 2017
It's wild that Fighters 2, 3, and 4 were all leaked in some sort of way.

Definitely has made me really excited for tomorrow more than any of the other character reveals. At least the planned ones, don't think anything will be better than the Joker reveal at the TGAs.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see them cutting a wholly unique character over a clone/low priority character

But if we're disregarding clones, then yeah I suppose I see your point

Blame Japan for Elma; XBX wasn't as well-received over there compared to the West
For the record I don't want them to cut anyone. The reason I mentioned Sheik is because the whole character was basically designed as a gimmick to offset the fact that Zelda herself wasn't much of a "fighter", so she's this odd time capsule who - in the grand scheme of things - doesn't have any real bearing on Zelda as a franchise. Personally I'd just give Sheik's moveset to Impa.

For me, Corrin at the time kind of felt like a bit too much Fire Emblem (three newcomers in one game and one returning character), and accounting for hindsight, Fates ended up becoming one of the lesser regarded games in the series for fans. I'm not as prudish about Fire Emblem as most people - I think Awakening deserved the reps it got given that it was essentially a soft reboot, and bringing back Roy was a nice gesture after Mewtwo's return - but Corrin does feel just a bit more like a "yeah that happened at one point" character compared to the rest of the FE stars.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If getting several SEGA characters isn't possible, y'know what I'd be okay with? A character that's from a classic SEGA game but treated like they're from the "SEGA AGES" series so we get a TON of music. Hellll yeahhhh

Just go with AGES from Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed

I'm sure Sakurai could make the Daytona car, an Afterburner Jet, and a Dreamcast controller into viable fighters

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's wild that Fighters 2, 3, and 4 were all leaked in some sort of way.

Definitely has made me really excited for tomorrow more than any of the other character reveals. At least the planned ones, don't think anything will be better than the Joker reveal at the TGAs.
Now that I think about it, you're right.
  • Tansut & the files of Smash Ultimate leaked Hero
  • Shinobi leaked Banjo
  • Nintendo UK leaked Terry (or an SNK character, to be exact)

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just go with AGES from Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing Transformed

I'm sure Sakurai could make the Daytona car, an Afterburner Jet, and a Dreamcast controller into viable fighters

Hell, I'd be down for it. There's also a few series like Outrun, Space Harrier, and Phantasy Star that have been in every iteration of SEGA AGES since the Saturn and would make great choices. Though speaking of Allstars Racing, perhaps looking to when the Switch's SEGA AGES releases finally leaves the 16 bit era could lead to an interesting choice...

though that's pure speculation of course =P

Give me more Skies of Arcadia, SEGA ;-;

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Just checking in before ducking out for the next 17 hours or so in the interest of not having a rare DLC surprise ruined on the off-chance there's a leak. Before I do so, though: How's everyone feeling? Who's looking likely to you as we approach the moment of truth?

I'm feeling...
1. Travis Touchdown
2. Ryu Hayabusa
3. Maaaaybe Phoenix Wright, if the stars align and the universe decides to grant me happiness.

In roughly that order of likelihood - though, there's probably a series of more-likely characters between 2 and 3 that I'm just blanking on in favor of wishful thinking.

I'm heading into tomorrow expecting Dante, though, even though I doubt it's him, so as to not be disappointed in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.