• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you a believer for us getting a General Direct in January 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 258 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Nah we already got Roy... and Ike for that matter... for the fire sword boys, so machine guns > fire swords for Ultimate. Especially since KOS-MOS is also better than Rex/Pyra/Mythra in literally every other category you could analyze a character by lol.
A sword that shoots fire is not the same as a fire sword.

Also Rex has his weapon switching mechanic and visually, his attacks are simply more interesting imo.

Mickey Mouse is just as much as, if not more so, a "gaming icon" as Goku. 😆
Mickey has been in more than four good games so he's already ahead of Goku.

Last edited:

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Back on that reused asset thing, technically Fatmonice is right, tho not how he intends.

Many characters reuse Small or even big amount of moves. Ness shared stuff from Mario & Falcon from Samus in 64. Wolf Still has his old idle pose from Brawl when using certain items. Didn't they discover Little Mac in Smash 4 had 1 frame of Captain Falcon idle animation after latter climbing. And if I recall, Piranha Plant was code from Bowser Jr, and it is oddly speculated Banjo & Kazooie were made from Ridley's base.

So yes, there is asset reuse. But as in they could literally just take any ingame Smash non-fighter model and use those to create a fighter? Umm

Well tbh, the only character I might believe this somewhat happened is Chrom. I very likely believe Chrom only made it in due to a model existing already via Robin Final Smash. I dont remember Final Smash vs Fighter Chrom model comparisons and how different they are.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2020 is Year of the Rat.

Uh...I don't know any mouse gaming icons besides Pikachu.

PS1_Cheesy_cover_art.jpg

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
You know, KOS-MOS may have gone back to sleep for now, but we still have Rex and Pyra/Mythra!

As much as I love KOS-MOS, Rex and Pyra/Mythra just make much more sense as one of the next fighters.

I still think there's a chance they slipped into the #5 spot too.

Let's see what the New Year brings us!

ZTpXO3l.gif

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Well tbh, the only character I might believe this somewhat happened is Chrom. I very likely believe Chrom only made it in due to a model existing already via Robin Final Smash. I dont remember Final Smash vs Fighter Chrom model comparisons and how different they are.

It's not the Wii U model although there are some similarities in the low poly areas.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
You know, KOS-MOS may have gone back to sleep for now, but we still have Rex and Pyra/Mythra!

As much as I love KOS-MOS, Rex and Pyra/Mythra just make much more sense as one of the next fighters.

ZTpXO3l.gif
Keep the dream alive brother!

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Didn't Bethesda literally confirm in 2018 that they were in talks with Nintendo about Smash?

It doesn't guarentee anything, but even if Spirit event were to happen I wouldn't be surprised in that case.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Bethesda literally confirm in 2018 that they were in talks with Nintendo about Smash?

It doesn't guarentee anything, but even if Spirit event were to happen I wouldn't be surprised in that case.
Talks could just be Pete Hines calling up NoA about a Commander Keen Mii Costume and getting an answering machine.

OK, probably not, but the point is that talks could mean just about anything.

TMaakkonen

Oct 26, 2017
Wether or not anything comes out of it, they confirmed they had talks.

So Skyrim or Doom or Spirits or Mii Costumes or nothing wouldn't be surprising for me.

What is surprising is that this specific thing seems to be less talked about than some other things lol

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
If you think about it, by posting in this thread, on a very well-known gaming forum that Nintendo employees can (and probably do) read, we're all in talks with Nintendo.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Hey Nintendo; thanks in advance for adding Doom Slayer, Amaterasu and The Prince of All Cosmos!

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here's that full Pete Hines interview by the way:

GC: Would you consider making an exclusive Nintendo title?

PH: It's possible, but that's up to the devs in terms of what game is it that they'd be talking about?

GC: Ubisoft are the other Western publisher that gets on well with Nintendo, and they made Mario + Rabbids where they were able to actually borrow Nintendo characters to use in it. Have you had that kind of development conversation with Nintendo?

PH: I'm not gonna… [laughs]

GC: I'm not expecting you to announce a game but have you talked to them about that sort of thing?

PH: We're always having conversations with them, but again those conversations wouldn't necessarily take place with me, they'd take place with a dev to say, 'We have an idea for a this or a that and we wanna do a game that is a crossover with the Switch'.

GC: I never feel we have enough collaborations in this industry, between developers with very different skillsets.

PH: Sure, although I will say they're probably not easy to do. I've done some licence work before and there is a lot of baggage that comes with it, with all these different rules for how you can do things.

GC: [laughs] I bet Nintendo are terrible for that!

PH: Yeah!

(The PR guy reappears, trying to shoo us out.)

GC: This will just take a second, I can guarantee he's going to give a very short answer to this.

PH: [laughs]

GC: Have you spoken to them about Smash Bros.?

PH: Oh yeah.

GC: I see. Well, let's leave it at that. Thanks very much for your time.

PH: No problem, nice to see you again.

So that suggest to me that it's more than the vague, general "yeah we talk with Nintendo all the time about stuff" before - like an actual conversation about including characters that he was plugged into. Whether that was a two-way conversation and not just giving them a pitch and getting a "maybe" in response, though, who can say.

I think we know for a fact Ubisoft has had "please put Rayman in Smash" conversations with Nintendo, and it clearly didn't get very far.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dear Nintendo, thank you in advance for continuing to show your love for Ninja Gaiden by putting Ryu Hayabusa in Smash Bros. 😁

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Here's that full Pete Hines interview by the way:

So that suggest to me that it's more than the vague, general "yeah we talk with Nintendo all the time about stuff" before - like an actual conversation about including characters that he was plugged into. Whether that was a two-way conversation and not just giving them a pitch and getting a "maybe" in response, though, who can say.

I think we know for a fact Ubisoft has had "please put Rayman in Smash" conversations with Nintendo, and it clearly didn't get very far.
Hynes: "Can we have something in Smash?"

Nintendo: "How did you get in here?"

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017

Uh, is your avatar from Skies of Arcadia?

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Honestly I bet Tracer was planned as DLC #5 in Smash. But then the player asking to support for Hong Kong thing happened. So they moved onto something else instead hoping for the whole situation to cool down.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Honestly I bet Tracer was planned as DLC #5 in Smash. But then the player asking to support for Hong Kong thing happened. So they moved onto something else instead hoping for the whole situation to cool down.
By the time the Hong Kong thing happened, Tracer would have been well into development. Too far in to cancel.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Very doubtful. If Tracer was Challenger Pack 5, they would be too far along to suddenly scrap their plans and include someone else instead.

Besides, Nintendo is still promoting the Overwatch port, and they're even working with Tencent themselves; it's unfortunate to say that they probably wouldn't have a problem with including an Activision Blizzard character.

Not to cancel. Just delay.
Doesn't matter, suddenly substituting in a different character for Challenger Pack 5 means the exact same thing from a development standpoint; if that's what you're meaning to say here.

OP
OP
IntelliHeath

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. It's from Avatar: The Last Airbender. Does it look like someone from SoA? I never finished it.

Yeah, kinda. She was an elder of the village but I might have misremember since it has been long time ever since I played that game.

Well, Tracer or Overwatch isn't under Bethesda. Just want to point it out.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
As someone who used to push for Tracer, the whole ordeal regarding Activision Blizzard & Hong Kong soured me on her, Crash, Spyro, & the other characters they own.

With that said, Nintendo doesn't seem to care all that much, so I doubt it'll impact their or Sakurai's decision. It would just feel weird if she or Crash got in at this point.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
As someone who used to push for Tracer, the whole ordeal regarding Activision Blizzard & Hong Kong soured me on her, Crash, Spyro, & the other characters they own.

With that said, Nintendo doesn't seem to care all that much, so I doubt it'll impact their or Sakurai's decision. It would just feel weird if she or Crash got in at this point.
I don't think a Blizzard character will get in. Crash maybe

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Aw man, the Japanese Smash Twitter didn't post the event again! Guess we need to wait five more hours for the in-game notification.

Aug 12, 2019

Considering it took Nintendo all of two weeks to go full force with Overwatch Switch advertisements and I've seen big Overwatch Switch banners in some GameStops recently too, Nintendo straight up doesn't care and accurately predicted they could just take a step back down until the fervor died down.

Crash is more of the kid who got an evil step dad than anything else, so I don't think he really deserves to be punished for Blizzard's fuck-ups too. Especially since I can't imagine Crash Bandicoot in Smash would even generate that much revenue in comparison to what Activision Blizzard makes literally everywhere else in the industry with COD, Blizzard content, etc. I mean, sure, he'd sell and that would result in benefits for Activision Blizzard, but a Smash character is probably the closest you can get to a morally responsible "support" of the company considering how little money is probably going back to Activision Blizzard at the end of the day.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Considering it took Nintendo all of two weeks to go full force with Overwatch Switch advertisements and I've seen big Overwatch Switch banners in some GameStops recently too, Nintendo straight up doesn't care and accurately predicted they could just take a step back down until the fervor died down.

Crash is more of the kid who got an evil step dad than anything else, so I don't think he really deserves to be punished for Blizzard's fuck-ups too. Especially since I can't imagine Crash Bandicoot in Smash would even generate that much revenue in comparison to what Activision Blizzard makes literally everywhere else in the industry with COD, Blizzard content, etc. I mean, sure, he'd sell and that would result in benefits for Activision Blizzard, but a Smash character is probably the closest you can get to a morally responsible "support" of the company considering how little money is probably going back to Activision Blizzard at the end of the day.
But as you said, Activision Blizzard would still benefit (similar to Sugiyama benefiting from Hero's inclusion). If anything, Joker has it better since Hashino doesn't directly benefit from Joker's inclusion.

Aug 12, 2019
But as you said, Activision Blizzard would still benefit (similar to Sugiyama benefiting from Hero's inclusion). If anything, Joker has it better since Hashino doesn't directly benefit from Joker's inclusion.

I mean, again, basically pocket change to a company that rakes in billions year over year and most of that probably going to Nintendo since it's their game. It's why I don't find Joker or Hero problematic because by the time all is said and done, I'm contributing less to them than I would buying bottled water or something of the sort (not that I buy bottled water outside of an occasional necessity, but that's the point, it's a tiny one time transaction that so minimally supports the problem parties in the first place, and it's not even in their own product to begin with).

I don't know, there are battles I feel we have to pick when it comes to this stuff as to what I'm willing to more consciously consume in the gaming industry and what I'm not. Smash seems like the kind of thing where those issues can be largely negated or at the very least mitigated due to the way the process works of licensing characters out and giving them over to more upstanding people.

Status
Not open for further replies.