• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you a believer for us getting a General Direct in January 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 258 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
since capcom has no problem putting in final fight characters and not calling them guest characters, I propose that they also put in this character from their shared fighting game universe
tumblr_nbk916fOvV1r7sijxo1_500.gifv

What's the argument for them not counting?
they didn't debut in those games, just like how birdie isn't an alpha character

Deleted member 2669

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The best batch of newcomers was the one with Hokuto and Doctrine Dark.

The again, III introduced Alex, Dudley, Ibuki, Makoto, and Q.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
former Final Fight guys count as Street Fighter newcomers, revamped Street Fighter I characters do not

those are the rules

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
okay if final fight counts then Alpha slips ahead

IV
II
V
III
Alpha
I

Keep in mind that Seth is still a IV character despite the redesign

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The best batch of newcomers was the one with Hokuto and Doctrine Dark.

The again, III introduced Alex, Dudley, Ibuki, Makoto, and Q.
And Capcom slept on the whole EX cast to the point that Arika just made their own game. And then added Terry Bogard, because why not.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I like how they threw Sawada in because apparently Fei Long was too much of a Bruce Lee clone for Street Fighter: The Movie to handle.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
III absolutely has the best cast, introducing the two best Street Fighter characters, Sean and Makoto.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I wonder if they'd ever do an "everyone is here" for Street Fighter, or if it's not worth the effort because there's a bunch of filler characters nobody cares about.

SFIV was probably the closest to doing it, but there were still some major characters missing by the end

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I wonder if they'd ever do an "everyone is here" for Street Fighter, or if it's not worth the effort because there's a bunch of filler characters nobody cares about.

SFIV was probably the closest to doing it, but there were still some major characters missing by the end
Unless VI decides to reuse assets from V (very unlikely), I can't see it ever happening. Too many characters to make from scratch, and since I doubt they would include them all in the base roster, a lot of filler people would complain about until everyone is eventually added years later.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Hey I'm just curious but someone in my KOS-MOS circle brought up this guy. Is he even credible? Why should I pay attention to him?

Supposedly he says the next direct is gonna be a blowout like the January 2013 direct and he's right about some directs. Seems he knew of no VGA reveal too?

Let's look at the January 2013 direct for context

Miiverse -- 00:56 Wii U Updates including Virtual Console -- 07:40 Spring and Summer Games -- 18:30 The Wonderful 101 -- 18:53 Bayonetta 2 -- 20:27 New Super Smash Bros. -- 23:31 New Titles From Nintendo -- 24:11 Yarn Yoshi -- 26:56 Shin-Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem -- 27:53 The Legend of Zelda -- 29:21 Monolith Soft -- 34:01

SO yeah who the hell is this rando? Literally my first time hearing of him.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How many "real" Street Fighter characters have there been? If you count all of the bosses from the first game you'd have to be closing in on 100.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH

The only other fighting game series that I think could pull a "EVERYONE IS HERE!" announcement and it would actually means something is Marvel vs. Capcom. If they did that and paired it with a solid art style, they'd have the fans back instantly.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Hey I'm just curious but someone in my KOS-MOS circle brought up this guy. Is he even credible? Why should I pay attention to him?

Supposedly he says the next direct is gonna be a blowout like the January 2013 direct and he's right about some directs. Seems he knew of no VGA reveal too?

Let's look at the January 2013 direct for context

Miiverse -- 00:56 Wii U Updates including Virtual Console -- 07:40 Spring and Summer Games -- 18:30 The Wonderful 101 -- 18:53 Bayonetta 2 -- 20:27 New Super Smash Bros. -- 23:31 New Titles From Nintendo -- 24:11 Yarn Yoshi -- 26:56 Shin-Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem -- 27:53 The Legend of Zelda -- 29:21 Monolith Soft -- 34:01

SO yeah who the hell is this rando? Literally my first time hearing of him.

Nope, they aren't credible. They posted a bunch of random predictions around previous Directs/E3 and deleted things they got wrong.

Essentially; don't pay attention to them at all.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Okay thank you. Scratching this guy off my list.
I mean, this January Direct prediction is so vague that they can pretend to be right no matter what.

What does "January 2013 1.5 Third-Party Deluxe Edition" even mean? A bunch of third-party announcements that either get heavily delayed or are years out from release?

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I mean, this January Direct prediction is so vague that they can pretend to be right no matter what.

What does "January 2013 1.5 Third-Party Deluxe Edition" even mean? A bunch of third-party announcements that either get heavily delayed or are years out from release?

I dunno but in the real direct I really hope we see some remasters and SMT V.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To be a top-tier leaker, never say anything specific. Only post vague things that can't be wrong and you can "clear up" after the fact.

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
How many "real" Street Fighter characters have there been? If you count all of the bosses from the first game you'd have to be closing in on 100.
Well if we just count mainline (1, 2, Alpha, 3, 4, 5), the re-releases, and things like shin akuma and evil ryu I think it's 83-ish. I may have miscounted

If we count the Movie's 4 troopers*, the random interactive movie with Cyborg, & the EX characters its ~109? And there's a few more weird spinoff characters like mecha zangeif in some of the VS games I didnt feel like counting.

*did you know the troopers got like SF5 profile cards????

r_n

Oct 25, 2017

I know that the SF5 profile things had hella deep pulls but pulling on the movie the game is wild to me

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
they didn't debut in those games, just like how birdie isn't an alpha character
I'd say the Final Fight characters should count, but I agree on the revamped SFI characters not counting towards Alpha.
It's their fighting-game debut though. Similarly, a weighty revamp might as well count as a new character, especially in this thread where we treat clones as their own.
If Sakurai had given Captain Ganon the make-over that Zelda fans were crying about, it would have been a new character as well.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Ultimate's roster is already super impressive, and it'll only become greater from here!

4avZHVy.png

Really excited to see who Nintendo and Sakurai managed to reel in for the second and third passes!

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

To quote what I said in another thread...
Street Fighter V currently sits at 35 characters as of when this thread was made & it'll likely grow over the course of Season 4 (by how much, we don't know right now) 40 characters (& is likely gonna stop there if the clues of SFVI's reveal are any indication). The current biggest roster in a mainline Street Fighter game is Ultra Street Fighter IV with 44 characters. But with regards to if Street Fighter could bring back every veteran from previous entries, that's a bit of a tricky question. On the plus side, Street Fighter doesn't really have any guest characters, so Capcom would be in the clear from a rights perspective. However, Street Fighter is known to start from zero for each numbered Street Fighter entry. And after the blow-back from the blatant (& less-than-stellar-looking) asset reuse for Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, Capcom would likely be met with similar criticism if they reused SFV's assets for Street Fighter VI (& it seems like most of you want Capcom to start from scratch for SFVI). Taking the "Everyone is Here" approach with SFVI would require tons of asset reuse from SFV on top of making a ton of characters from SFI, II, Alpha, III, & IV who didn't make the jump to SFV. And while the animations for most the existing SFV cast may hold up going into the next console generations, the models likely won't (plus you'd probably be limited to the skeletons of SFV's models, which would limit the potential to change characters). And while granted, there are characters like Charlie Nash & M. Bison who are canonically dead post-SFV, they could be justified as what-if characters who don't factor into the story. So it is possible for Capcom to pull off Smash Ultimate's feat with Street Fighter, probably. But given how Capcom handles new numbered Street Fighter entries, it's not exactly a realistic for the Street Fighter series.
And given Capcom's (understandable) likely-apprehension towards using guest characters in Street Fighter games, pretty much all of the DLC characters would be newcomers. This could be good or bad depending on how you see things.

The only other fighting game series that I think could pull a "EVERYONE IS HERE!" announcement and it would actually means something is Marvel vs. Capcom. If they did that and paired it with a solid art style, they'd have the fans back instantly.
I also touched on MvC in said thread.
Unlike Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom has a behemoth of a company dealing with half of the crossover's roster. But also unlike Street Fighter, MvC actually has a history of reusing assets in later entries (see most of the sprite-based MvC games as well as MvCI), with MvC2's massive 56-character roster being a prime example of this. With that said, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3's 50-character roster is also no slouch. However, Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite got quite a bit of blow-back for not only reusing assets, but making them look worse compared to Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. So while there aren't any non-Marvel & non-Capcom characters to worry about, you still have to deal with Marvel themselves & how they want to represent their properties going forward. If the series is to continue, obviously Marvel & Capcom need to go back to the drawing board with regards to the art style, but this isn't what this thread is about. As for if MvC could pull off an "Everyone is Here" approach, I sadly have to say no......at least for the entire series. There are simply way too many characters from previous entries that have yet to make the jump to 3D as well as Marvel wanting to push certain characters over others who may have been popular during the era of the earlier MvC games for that to be realistic. However, if Capcom wants to stick with the (U)MvC3 & MvCI assets, they could bring back everyone from MvC3 onwards to achieve a similar result while also adding newcomers & certain popular characters from earlier MvC games like Captain Commando or Cyclops. So yeah, Capcom could realistically bring back everyone from 3 onwards (as long as the game looks good visually), just not everyone from pre-MvC3 without a massive development cycle & begging Marvel Entertainment to go along with it. If you were to only factor in the Capcom characters from every Versus game, I'd say the same thing as I would for just the MvC games (reusing TvC's assets wouldn't exactly be easy).
In short, good luck convincing Marvel Entertainment to let Marrow, Sabertooth, or Silver Samurai come back over adding Ms. Marvel, Scarlet Witch, or Star-Lord.

Last edited:

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
"They only discuss characters that they know for certain aren't in, because their super close relationship with Nintendo could have them at risk if they even mention something actually happening. They didn't get a single thing right in their Game Awards prediction video, CLEARLY a sign of how they are playing coy with speculation to avoid trouble".

Not a direct quote; but I managed to summarise three posts in two sentences.
So getting everything wrong is a hint

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
It's like the Grinch mentality never ended
The saddest part is that people are still buying into this stuff; the amount of likes on his posts are higher than average for these character-specific threads.

Don't know how far you read, but this post where he tries to imply that the "no Dash" tweet was some slip-up that you got "caught" on has over 20 likes, which is very depressing.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
The saddest part is that people are still buying into this stuff; the amount of likes on his posts are higher than average for these character-specific threads.

Don't know how far you read, but this post where he implies that the "no Dash" tweet was some mistake that you got "caught" on has over 20 likes, which is very depressing.
They really do live in their own little bubble over there

It's also very easy to get everything about The Game Awards wrong given there was essentially nothing for Nintendo haha. (Though I believe Steve actually did call No More Heroes 3)

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Aw man, I missed the Street Fighter talk, curse you sleep.

I'll forgive NotLiquid's abuse of F.A.N.G because that Creepy Castle analysis was on point.

tumblr_o9ykh5ZMAk1rkctppo1_250.gifv

I wish I actually enjoyed playing as this oddball, banger theme as well

Aug 12, 2019
They really do live in their own little bubble over there

It's also very easy to get everything about The Game Awards wrong given there was essentially nothing for Nintendo haha. (Though I believe Steve actually did call No More Heroes 3)

If you can tolerate it, it'd be nice to see you set the record straight over there. This stuff has been coming up for a while and it needs to be shut down given the fact you all have been pretty damn fourth-coming about what you all do and don't know.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
By virtue of closest predictive TGA odds, Steve has successfully solidified Travis as a hard lock for Smash DLC. Truly, the real insider of Gamexplain. Friendship ended with Jonneh.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
It's like the Grinch mentality never ended

Why would Nintendo tell us who the fighters are anyway? What possible way would that benefit them

I'm just rather curious what made you predict KOS-MOS. Are you a die hard fan like me or was it that she just makes so much sense cause Namco has nobody yet? I loved your prediction tbh xD not everyday you see a big name predicting KOS-MOS :)

and yeah smashboards especially the Geno thread follow that massive clown.

Status
Not open for further replies.