• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you a believer for us getting a General Direct in January 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 258 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigi A

Oct 26, 2017
Austin, TX
220px-Super_Mario_64_DS_Coverart.png

Super Mario 64 DS deserves better than this.

Okay, but that's not what I meant. LOL
I'm talking about a multiplayer/co-op game in style of NSMB/3D World

Real talk tho a 3D World sequel or styled game with even more playable characters (Waluigi???) that just have some minor tweaks/quirks is a golden concept and I would like for them to do it sooner rather than later

Exactly! I've been waiting for this moment, and have been curious how they'll approach story wise as well.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
You know, I never really understood why Nintendo decided to make changing characters in 64 DS infinitely more annoying and time-consuming between E3 2004 and it's release in November that year.

(the demo had character icons you could tap on the touch screen to instantly swap).

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
You know, I never really understood why Nintendo decided to make changing characters in 64 DS infinitely more annoying and time-consuming between E3 2004 and it's release in November that year.

(the demo had character icons you could tap on the touch screen to instantly swap).
Probably because that shortcut was only ever meant for the E3 demo.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I guess 4chan is turning Lloyd into the new Grotesque Steve. Seen a bunch of crap with this model.
1576711524577.jpg
Luckily for me Haruka is immune to this since she already has an "official" grotesque form - Home Haruka:

LKRwvw3.png

Some off looking promotional items were released for Playstation Home and magic was made.

Also since it it was brought up, "waifu" is a dumbass term used to devalue female characters.
Thank you.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the Haruka Mii Costume accurately recreates this mask.

Or they just include the mask alongside her, I dunno.
It would be a great way to reflect that the Miis aren't substitute but rather just characters playing dress up and avoids the problem of Mii faces never quite capturing the right look for the face.

But considering it's a PlayStation Home reference, I'm not getting my hopes up.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
It would be a great way to reflect that the Miis aren't substitute but rather just characters playing dress up and avoids the problem of Mii faces never quite capturing the right look for the face.

But considering it's a PlayStation Home reference, I'm not getting my hopes up.
Eh, we've had PlayStation-exclusive content in Smash since Brawl, it'll be fine.

Gekko_-_Brawl_Trophy.png

Though, Gekko here is actually a Roy in Melee situation; Brawl released before MGS4, thus making Brawl the Gekko's first appearance (and the Wii it's system of origin instead of the PS3).

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
It also doesn't work since Lloyd isn't even a "threat" like Steve was.

Heihachi would be far more appropriate.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Also, Tales of Symphonia is really highly regarded among both Tales fans and Nintendo fans.

Whereas a lot of "hardcore" peoples slag off Minecraft for being casual kiddy garbage (when it's totally not).

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Well... When it comes to Tales fans, Lloyd isn't even the most popular character from Symphonia, let alone the rest of the series. So yeah, he's far from being the Steve of Bamco.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Velvet is the clear choice for Tales of rep. She's the only protagonist that isn't painfully boring.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I beat ToS, but it was a long time ago. Lloyd was just of there I thought. Maybe he didn't strike me as particularly memorable because Vyse was the only dual sword wielding JRPG protag for me. That being said, seeing how long it's been, maybe I've forgotten what Lloyd could do in ToS, but ad a fighter does he actually bring anything new? All I can remember that he could do was wild two swords, shoot blade waves along the ground, and say Double Demon Fang a lot.

Mar 19, 2019
I beat ToS, but it was a ling time ago. Lloyd was just of there I thought. Maybe he didn't strike me as particularly memorable because Vyse was the only dual sword wielding JRPG protag for me. That being said, seeing how long it's been, maybe I've forgotten what Lloyd could do in ToS, but ad a fighter does he actually bring anything new? All I can remember that he could do was wild two swords, shoot blade waves along the ground, and say Double Demon Fang a lot.
I don't remember ToS much, but a lot of Tales games have a lot of skills in the form of Artes which could be carried over into Smash but we could use any Tales protag realistically.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Tales Of isn't really painfully boring, but it's like your typical entry anime shonen basically.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Atelier and Star Ocean and the other C-tier franchises are JRPG junk food. Tales of has higher production value and much more engaging game play. Tales of is at least like street food level, it's on par with other B-tier stuff.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Tales has pretty great gameplay but utterly forgettable story and characters. And I'm usually all about stock shonen plots.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Vesperia is one of the best RPGs of last-gen.

Don't @ me

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
God I didn't expect this much discussion for dissing Tales games.

For the record I played though Symphonia 4-5 times on Gamecube with my friends because we loved the gameplay, but the story really is just stock anime and JRPG tropes and little else. Nothing I've seen from the later ones except Vesperia and some story spoilers for Abyss seemed like they would change my mind.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
God I didn't expect this much discussion for dissing Tales games.

For the record I played though Symphonia 4-5 times on Gamecube with my friends because we loved the gameplay, but the story really is just stock anime and JRPG tropes and little else. Nothing I've seen from the later ones except Vesperia and some story spoilers for Abyss seemed like they would change my mind.
Tales of games are Stock RPG Tropes: The Game. It's been that way ever since Tales of Phantasia on the Super Famicom.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
The thing about Symphonia for me is that, for a significant chunk of it, the plot is just Final Fantasy X. Like just straight up a near 1:1 copy, complete with an evil religion, hot-blooded shonen hero, soft-spoken chosen one on a pilgrimage, badass aloof mentor, big sister figure, and spunky ninja/thief.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I like Tales of Symphonia because you can romance Sheena (well, you can make her fall in love with Lloyd, while Lloyd is just a dumbass who doesn't get it. But the dialogues are cute)
The other Tales of I've played didn't have any romance options so I didn't like them as much.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I like Tales of Symphonia because you can romance Sheena (well, you can make her fall in love with Lloyd, while Lloyd is just a dumbass who doesn't get it. But the dialogues are cute)
The other Tales of I've played didn't have any romance options so I didn't like them as much.
Yes, but Llyod can also romance Presea and there's no situation where that is okay

MexM

One Winged Slayer
Nov 10, 2017
I've been playing through Vesperia for a while (am at Act 2) and while I'm not a fan of the combat gameplay, I really adore its cast and the skits, so bring axe-wielding Yuri to Smash!

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I'm in the middle of wrapping up a review before work, but there's no way I can skip this Tales of Symphonia discussion, so I'll say this much: after being stoked to experience the rest of the series following Symphonia and Abyss back in the late-aughts, Vesperia being the only one even remotely approaching the same magic was rather deflating. I say this despite still having not played Phantasia. but while Arise looks promising, this past decade was not kind to the series at all.

Putting it this way: I don't think anything will ever inspire a dozen-plus playthroughs in the vein of Symphonia. God, I love that game, dated warts and all.

This is easily my most-wanted 3H song in Smash -- so good!

Last edited:

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My most-played Switch games were Smash, DQXIS, Splatoon 2, Daemon X Machina, and NES games

What does that mean for Smash

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love Yuri from Vesperia, I seriously struggle to imagine how to make him an interesting character gameplay-wise.

You could make him a combo-heavy character but it's still not super interesting. His gimmicks involve being able to cancel anything into anything, and not taking any knockback whatsoever, which don't translate very well to Smash 😅

I wouldn't say no to him though. Yuri for Smash!

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
As much as I love Yuri from Vesperia, I seriously struggle to imagine how to make him an interesting character gameplay-wise.

You could make him a combo-heavy character but it's still not super interesting. His gimmicks involve being able to cancel anything into anything, and not taking any knockback whatsoever, which don't translate very well to Smash 😅

I wouldn't say no to him though. Yuri for Smash!
Make Repede part of his moves. Solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.