• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you a believer for us getting a General Direct in January 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 258 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
So that new tourney event had me make this

7893c0b9576afb7e077ba618117b24d2.png

If they do similar events with these other decades, I guess these are the characters that would be eligble for each one.

Kinda surprised that the most represented decade is the 90s, with 27 fighters total (not counting the PT pokemon and any alts, obviously).

In fact, it's kinda startling that from 1980 to 2017, nearly four decades worth of games are represented on Smash's roster.
I'm still mad that Young Link and Toon Link are specifically the Hero of Time and Hero of Wind but Link is apparently an amalgamation of all the rest mushed together, despite wearing the most distinctive outfit.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird and funny how 2010-2017 seems to consist almost entirely of humanoid anime characters. Sure you have Inkling, Isabelle, Incineroar and Greninja, but then it's all kinda drowned out by Dark Pit, Lucina, Chrom, Robin, Corrin, Shulk, Joker, and Hero all stacked together at once

The other decades have a better mix of funny looking characters and serious anime people

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It's weird and funny how 2010-2017 seems to consist almost entirely of humanoid anime characters. Sure you have Inkling, Isabelle, Incineroar and Greninja, but then it's all kinda drowned out by Dark Pit, Lucina, Chrom, Robin, Corrin, Shulk, Joker, and Hero all stacked together at once

The other decades have a better mix of funny looking characters and serious anime people
To be fair the main thing that says about the decade in this instance is that it's when Fire Emblem Awakening came out.

Without that they'd be nearly 50/50

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Ultimate was really kind to the 90s. Bringing back Pokémon Trainer, Young Link, Wolf and Pichu, along with adding Terry, K Rool, Richter and Terry really pushed the 90s

Also that chart is missing mid 2000s Miis

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil

Well.. last decade can be seen a bit boring for character design, I suppose :p

If Shovel Knight was playable, he'd be the stand out of that crowd (alongside Inkling)

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

A third of that section is all Fire Emblem, whereas the other sections only have one, two, or zero Fire Emblem characters, so that helps to explain it lol

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017

well, that's when games got bad

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
You could cheat and make the 80s look huge by including alt characters, which gives you the 7 Koopalings and Erdrick.

The other decades would each get 1, 90s gets Solo. 2000s gets Eight and 2010s would get Alph

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Would be more interesting if they were as absurd as like, Guilty Gear characters or something. Most of the FE characters are blue haired sword ppl with a vertical up B and downB counter.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimate was really kind to the 90s. Bringing back Pokémon Trainer, Young Link, Wolf and Pichu, along with adding Terry, K Rool, Richter and Terry really pushed the 90s

How did you forget about Banjo & Kazooie too lol

Also that chart is missing mid 2000s Miis

I just based this on how All-Star Smash is structured, as well as the new 80s themed online tourney they're doing.

You don't encounter Mii Fighters at all in ASS (lol), if they ever did a mid-2000s tourney, they probably wouldn't be available.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
How did you forget about Banjo & Kazooie too lol

I just based this on how All-Star Smash is structured, as well as the new 80s themed online tourney they're doing.

You don't encounter Mii Fighters at all in ASS, if they ever did a mid-2000s tourney, they probably wouldn't be available.
I had Banjo and accidentally deleted him because I forgot Richter lol

I think Miis would be in a 2000s tournament. I don't remember where, but I think Ultimate has considered them as characters from 2006 (Smash 4 had them as 2013 characters from Smash 4). In a tooltip maybe?

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
My wanted characters are mostly from the 90's: Crash, Heihachi and Agumon. With Arthur being the sole one from the 80's.

Sora and Travis are 2000's characters I'm cool for their inclusion, but I'm not dying to see them.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
The way All Star Smash handles Pokémon Trainer is really janky

Rather than fight all three, like how they worked in Brawl, you fight Squirtle the first time around, then Ivysaur the second time, and finally Charizard after almost three hundred enemies defeated.

Really strange way to implement them, instead of just having all three be fought as their own character like they work in spirit battles

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
One thing to note about All-Star Smash is that the characters are ordered by their Japanese debut, even if their game technically came out first in the west.

For example, Banjo-Kazooie was released in the summer of 1998 in Europe and the US, several months before Ocarina of Time did in November, and yet Banjo & Kazooie are placed after the OOT crew in All-Star, because BK was released in December 1998 in Japan.

So if say, Master Chief made it in, he'd come after Roy, as Halo made its Japanese debut on April 2002.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
One thing to note about All-Star Smash is that the characters are ordered by their Japanese debut, even if they technically their game first came out in the west.

For example, Banjo-Kazooie was released in the summer of 1998 in Europe and the US, several months before Ocarina of Time did in November, and yet Banjo & Kazooie are placed after the OOT crew in All-Star, because BK was released in December 1998 in Japan.

So if say, Master Chief made it in, he'd come after Roy, as Halo made its Japanese debut on April 2002.
Yep! That's why they refuse to knowledge Toon Link's GBA origins!

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Jon better hope that KOS-MOS, Pyra or anything tangentially related to the Xeno series is not announced for Smash DLC or else he'll never be allowed to say anything ever again without the internet analyzing every word.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I think the jib obessers goes back that one year he predicted those final fantasy ports

And then his word became gospel to them
Unintended from jon
Space rayman conveniently ignored

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
One thing to note about All-Star Smash is that the characters are ordered by their Japanese debut, even if their game technically came out first in the west.

I wonder what they'd do for a series like Elder Scrolls that took its sweet time to be released in Japan

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Xenosaga character models really creep me out lol

It reminds me very much of Xenoblade Chronicles X years later

Xenoblade-Chronicles-X-9.jpg

It's just those creepy, doll-like eyes that I find so very off-putting.

For as much shit Xenoblade 2 gets for its character designs, I at least do commend it for having a distinct art style with expressive looking characters.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Jon better hope that KOS-MOS, Pyra or anything tangentially related to the Xeno series is not announced for Smash DLC or else he'll never be allowed to say anything ever again without the internet analyzing every word.
I think I also predicted some other characters and it's been misinterpreted that I said there's no Smash at TGA at all

So I'm sure people will find a way to twist it no matter what

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It kind of blows my mind that Morrowind never even came out there.

I guess that's their version of Mother 3. One of the greatest games of all time and no one even bothered to release it.
Was Bethesda even big enough at the time to afford to translate a text heavy RPG into a complicated language for a country that may or may not even be worth it for them?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Xenosaga character models really creep me out lol

It reminds me very much of Xenoblade Chronicles X years later

Xenoblade-Chronicles-X-9.jpg

It's just those creepy, doll-like eyes that I find so very off-putting.

For as much shit Xenoblade 2 gets for its character designs, I at least do commend it for having a distinct art style with expressive looking characters.
Xenosaga is in a weird spot aesthetically. Episode I is Super Anime. Episode II is still anime, but has more realistic detail that's jarring. Episode III is anime, but with a better aesthetic and technical style than Episode I by far.

Though to be fair, Monolith Soft was literally still staffing up as they were making Episode I, so the fact that the game looks as it does shouldn't be too surprising.

What I want more than a trilogy remaster is a straight-up remake of some sort that maintains one strong aesthetic and gameplay that doesn't vacillate between concepts every episode.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Tommorow we see the 5th fighter
Tommorow either the boy wins
Or the 2nd worst country in the world begins it's death and we will soon see an independent Scotland and United Ireland
Tommorow botw 2 please
Tommorow Mario odyssey 2 though high doubt

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
so, since we will probably learn about the last fighter of S1 in 24 hours, has this been done in the thread before?

A nice way to pass the time and stay hyped
1. Phoenix Wright
2. Tough - I'd say either Sora or Master Chief.
3. Monokuma (luckily for me, I also want this thing that will never come to pass).
4. Oh, Byleth for su-- kidding. I assume underrepresented implies a series that's already in the game, so I'll go with Chibi-Robo, who's underrepresented in and out of Smash, at the moment.
5. Welp. It looks like we're getting the Tetris L-Block after all, boyos.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
SABI AND VERGE REDEEMED

NICALIS ARE HERE TO SOMEHOW BE THE SCUMMIER THAN SUGIYAMA

L i t e r a l l y worst case scenario

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Please tell me they're just being a "haha so relatable" corporate Twitter account right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.